DRM = no sale

life_rocks

Starforce Proactive DRM is Non intrusive, and does not install any drivers etc.

It Generates a Hardware ID Based on your Current Hardware, You Enter your License key, and it binds it to that Hardware ID.

Information is stored in the registry.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Just a fun side note - I plugged in an external drive and my phone via USB cable, and then the DRM for the DCS MiG-21 complained that my PC has changed sufficiently enough to require another activation. I guess it all depends on whose DRM it is... No other DCS modules had that issue... :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Just a fun side note - I plugged in an external drive and my phone via USB cable, and then the DRM for the DCS MiG-21 complained that my PC has changed sufficiently enough to require another activation. I guess it all depends on whose DRM it is... No other DCS modules had that issue... :)

The Mig-21 seems to be very sensitive to just about everything. It uses, apparently, a bizarre implementation of Starforce.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Ignoring the personal attack

Oxymoron is not a personal attack. It is a noun for a term or phrase that contains a contradiction, e.g. "a deafening a silence." Your preference for Steam and dislike of DRM is not an oxymoron, technically, but it does seem like a double standard.;)

• Like 1

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Oxymoron is not a personal attack. It is a noun for a term or phrase that contains a contradiction, e.g. "a deafening a silence." Your preference for Steam and dislike of DRM is not an oxymoron, technically, but it does seem like a double standard.;)

But the way it was spelled could be interpreted as one, though. :o)

But I am pretty sure, it was not meant that way.

Sorry for the slight deviation for the topic, but those of you who do not use the steam version... please stop trying to convert people to use the standalone. I know, I know "easier, hassle free, updates earlier, bakes bread and makes your coffee". Given how simple Steam is to use (my OPINION) this is mostly a matter of personal preference than it is anything else.

If it is DRM we are worried about here (that is, DRM in excess of Steam): Do not worry. TheDRM, i.e. "the occational serial number check" is not going to break anything, and the key itself is stored on steam if you ever need it. This not UBISOFT we are talking about here these days. I know their DRM could have easily developed a sentience and start WW3...

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

I believe the reference to Bad DRM was to the early days of Starforce, where it was intrusive, installed a driver to control the Optical Drives and IDE Ports, and if it felt like it, it would brick your IDE Channels, and in most cases require a Fresh Wipe and re-install of Windows.

was in no way limited to Ubisoft.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

The MiG-21's integration of Starforce is finicky and extremely picky, yeah.

The most soul crushing part of DRM for me is the the sheer volume of serial numbers I have to enter because I own so many modules.

I don't think I've ever uninstalled a single module correctly. I've been through 2 computers and 2 OS formats on each and they all still have 6 activations left...

I'm not worried. :music_whistling:

Practice makes perfect.

I believe the reference to Bad DRM was to the early days of Starforce, where it was intrusive, installed a driver to control the Optical Drives and IDE Ports, and if it felt like it, it would brick your IDE Channels, and in most cases require a Fresh Wipe and re-install of Windows.

was in no way limited to Ubisoft.

In the very early days of DRM, when it was a lot easier for programmers to screw with critical parts of the windows OS, DRM devs thought it would be clever to piggyback their crap on critical parts of the infrastructure. For example, inserting itself into the windows TCP/IP stack. Then the user uninstalls the game, the DRM is buggy and doesn't restore the TCP/IP stack, and you have no more internet, and it's nearly impossible to fix without a format. I remember a specific DRM issue like this. I know there were others as well.

The public didn't like this much. Microsoft didn't either, because their OS got flack too.

DRM doesn't do that anymore. It's against policy, and microsoft doesn't let them get their meathooks in there anyway. In fact, the last time I remember hearing about a game destroying a bunch of computers, it was EVE Online, because they typoed a line of their installer. and installed the games boot.ini to C:\ (Why they used boot.ini as a config file, the world will never know.)

Practice makes perfect.

But the way it was spelled could be interpreted as one, though. :o)

But I am pretty sure, it was not meant that way.

There's only one way to spell Oxymoron it has one clear meaning that can't be misinterpreted.

1. a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g., faith unfaithful kept him falsely true ).

It's only ignorance that allows it to be misconstrued.

No look it up, ignorance is NOT an insult.

Flying sims since 1980

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHz

Video: EVGA GTX 1080

Ram: Patriot DDR4 2800 8GBx2

PWR:Corsair RM750i