A10C Gun

Smokey_67th

Hello everyone, im starting this thread because I have some questions regarding the brt machine.

1. Does anyone here fire it without zooming in on hud ?? When I try to engage tanks, I no use zoom and cant hit it to kill.

2. What is the best range to get to before firing at one ??

I would like to get it to where I dont have to zoom because IRL there is no zoom for the pilot. I want to keep it real :):):smilewink:

1. In real life you can see the tanks from much further away (if you have 20/20 vision or better). Computer monitors are too small, and too low resolution to mimic real life, at the moment.

You need to give tanks a good number of gun hits before they die, maybe 3-4 seconds to land enough rounds on target. Also, use the gun stability (P key, or stage 1 trigger if you have a warthog), before you fire (press and hold p, then fire)

2. As close as you can ;-)

be at 2nm max, have Stability fase 1 entered (first click on TH Warthog)?

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

1. In real life you can see the tanks from much further away (if you have 20/20 vision or better). Computer monitors are too small, and too low resolution to mimic real life, at the moment.

With a 4K display I can spot a ground units from over 8km distance without any model enlargements (set to Off, and this was the case before the whole function was implemented). And it makes very easy to engage ground targets without any zooming in cockpit. Actually I don't have a zoom function binded to anything so what I only can do is to lean slightly forward with TrackIR and even that keeps face far from the HUD.

And actually in real world you don't see vehicles at all as far as in DCS. The ranges where a pilot to see a stationary vehicle on ground with usual pattern and shadows broken are just a kilometer or less. A moving vehicle is spotted from 5-10km distance, or if a vehicle is on open and shape and shadow is not broken you spot it even further. It is extremely difficult to spot a concealed targets on the ground when they don't move or reveal the position (tracks, reflections, shadows, shapes). You can even walk by a well concealed vehicle as long its engine is turned off.

This is why the NTTR map is so great as you can easily spot targets from far on the desert as there is nothing to conceal them. But the caucasus map problem is that it doesn't offer really anything else compared to NTTR than just a some challenging ground textures in some areas and only when you are above.

You need to give tanks a good number of gun hits before they die, maybe 3-4 seconds to land enough rounds on target. Also, use the gun stability (P key, or stage 1 trigger if you have a warthog), before you fire (press and hold p, then fire)

2. As close as you can ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw7SLZChzUs That is good short document about the GAU-12, in this prototype phase just a 25mm but still the specifications for the weapon. Like how a maximum armor penetration was 2.75" (<7cm/70mm). What seem to be reason to opt for 30mm version for A-10.

So sure, you kill most tanks easily with it, but MBT becomes challenge/impossible to kill.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I don't use any sort of TrackIR, but I use the "panel view" as a zoom toggle.

You need to know how to use custom static views (google it) and then you can set the panel view (Num 0) as a custom view zoomed way in on the hud. This allows you to then use the panel view toggle (rctrl-Num0) as a way to toggle a zoom view for guns.

First launch Track IR, then launch DCS. Go to Setup (choose A-10C Sim) click on Control tab, then select Axis command from drop down menu. There will be a column called Track IR. You look for TRACKIR_Z entry somewhere in this column. Now it is probably assigned to "Absolute longitudeshift camrea view" for you. You click on it in the Track IR column, when highlighted, you click Clear at the bottom. Then you go all the way down to "Zoom" row, click in this row and the Track IR column intersection, then "Assign axis" and you choose TRACKIR_Z from the drop down menu. Hope this helps.

Optimal range for shooting is shown by the circle that slowly unwinds as you get closer (if master mode is GUNS). IRL they shoot when the circle is unwinding through the bottom half, below the 3-9 o clock positions.

However if you're feeling ambitious and want to take out heavy armour you can fire at the 1-3 o clock position but be VERY CAREFUL that you don't get too close and smack the ground pulling up. This takes practice.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

I did a thread about tank kills a while back. I was asking the same thing and still have the same results. I watch my wingie kill T-72s with one pass and it takes me 4 passes. I've waited until sight is 5 o'clock position with 1st stage pressed before firing. CM always confirmed loaded too. Seems like there is a bug with wingman gun being more lethal than player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Well here is the thing, without zooming I can kill one on one pass. Downside is gotta get low to do so and that puts me good range for that .50 cal they got.

Been praticing since I started the thread and came to that conclusion. Other targets like APC and trucks that aren't armoured I kill at higher altitude with less trigger time.

A10C Gun

Well here is the thing, without zooming I can kill one on one pass. Downside is gotta get low to do so and that puts me good range for that .50 cal they got.

Been praticing since I started the thread and came to that conclusion. Other targets like APC and trucks that aren't armoured I kill at higher altitude with less trigger time.

Same here. Just tanks I have to pass multiple times. Wingman makes one pass at them.

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Yeah. It's fun. Would like to know why wingman gets it easy.

A10C Gun

Is there a trick to knowing which end we are attacking? (When stationary, of course)

Engaging tanks with the gun optimally would be in the most permissive environment possible. Ideally any IFVs, APCs, AAA and SAMs are no factor. TGP helps in deciding the orientation of the tanks. Additionally, loitering close and at low altitude will trigger the tanks to train their guns on you, evenif youre outside firing range.

Another thing of note, the tank's guns will (in an unthreatened state) have their guns pointed foward. This makes surprise attacks from the rear ideal as the guns have to traverse 180 degrees to fire at you. If you have three tanks close together and one is facing North and two are facing South, consider taking out the lone tank facing North with a different weapon, so you have less risk getting chewed up on your gun attacks.

My typical tank kill profile is a 45 degree strafe starting at 5500-6000 feet height above target, 200-240 kts. If I have the TGP on the tank I'll roll in at 1.3 - 1.4nm slant range. The pipper should be on the target at minimum .6nm, fire and be pulling off "briskly yet smooth" at .4nm.

It takes a good amount of practice to reliably line up a shot and pull off at such close distances without crashing or ripping a wing off. Alternatively, there is the 30 degree strafe which helps prevent that but you have less surface area to hit, and IRL the rounds don't penetrate as well.

An A-10 pilot told me they used to train to 60 degree strafes. I didnt ask to elaborate if they still do, but I wouldnt be surprised if they stopped that as its very possible it's taken some pilot's lives.

• Like 1

Tank putting his gun barrel on the aircraft? Gibberish.

I have a hard time believing that any tank crew will put gun barrel on the aircraft and watching how the AGM 65 will hit it.

I did see machine gun turret track your aircraft in DCS if that is what you meant :P

You should pull off earlier as going over 3/9 line makes things shoot at you with rather nice precision.

Also, it seems the pilot in question did not tell you why they practiced 60 degree dive on the tanks or you should ask him.

60 degree dive makes better penetration because it's coming from the top.

Also, in the battle environment doing a e.g. 45 compared to 10 degree keeps you safer because it keeps you out of small arms fire and potentially MANPADs range.

Edited by Nu-NRG

Aviate - Navigate - Communicate

Hi, my HOTAS is a CH FighterStick and doesn't have a two stage trigger. I'm not using CH Control Manager and assign controls from DCS options. Is there any way to get the first trigger stage ("P" key) activated when I press my trigger button?

Thanks.

nope

thus you assign a second button or another keyboard binding convenient to where you can reach blindly?

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Engaging tanks with the gun optimally would be in the most permissive environment possible. Ideally any IFVs, APCs, AAA and SAMs are no factor. TGP helps in deciding the orientation of the tanks. Additionally, loitering close and at low altitude will trigger the tanks to train their guns on you, evenif youre outside firing range.

Another thing of note, the tank's guns will (in an unthreatened state) have their guns pointed foward. This makes surprise attacks from the rear ideal as the guns have to traverse 180 degrees to fire at you. If you have three tanks close together and one is facing North and two are facing South, consider taking out the lone tank facing North with a different weapon, so you have less risk getting chewed up on your gun attacks.

My typical tank kill profile is a 45 degree strafe starting at 5500-6000 feet height above target, 200-240 kts. If I have the TGP on the tank I'll roll in at 1.3 - 1.4nm slant range. The pipper should be on the target at minimum .6nm, fire and be pulling off "briskly yet smooth" at .4nm.

It takes a good amount of practice to reliably line up a shot and pull off at such close distances without crashing or ripping a wing off. Alternatively, there is the 30 degree strafe which helps prevent that but you have less surface area to hit, and IRL the rounds don't penetrate as well.

An A-10 pilot told me they used to train to 60 degree strafes. I didnt ask to elaborate if they still do, but I wouldnt be surprised if they stopped that as its very possible it's taken some pilot's lives.

Tank putting his gun barrel on the aircraft? Gibberish.

I have a hard time believing that any tank crew will put gun barrel on the aircraft and watching how the AGM 65 will hit it.

I did see machine gun turret track your aircraft in DCS if that is what you meant :P

You should pull off earlier as going over 3/9 line makes things shoot at you with rather nice precision.

Also, it seems the pilot in question did not tell you why they practiced 60 degree dive on the tanks or you should ask him.

60 degree dive makes better penetration because it's coming from the top.

Also, in the battle environment doing a e.g. 45 compared to 10 degree keeps you safer because it keeps you out of small arms fire and potentially MANPADs range.

Both good posts. I'm going to change the technique a bit. I think my problem was rolling in at a much shallow angle than what was required.

I currently have a modifier (button 4) + button 1 assigned to first stage trigger ('P' key) but I don't feel the effect.

I use CH products too. Your fighter stick has a rocker switch for your thumb where as mine is just a single button. I use that thumb button and my trigger to work the gun. The effect of the two stage trigger is minimal with what you will feel. Especially if you're shaky on the line up. But it does work. If you're firing the gun. It works :P