[RESOLVED] Ins Position Update

Boagord

Hello,

When I do a waypoint flyby position update, if I press the REC button wherever inside the radius of 15 nautical miles and then press the VAL button the INS drift will be set to 0. I don't need to fly over the landmark's waypoint.

I do my best with my English but here is a video showing this "feature".

https://youtu.be/1jFciXIU3S0

Any news on this issue ?

It´s a long time since it was reported.

The way it should work is like on the AJS37 Viggen.

Is it just me, or is progress slow on this module ?

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Progress is voluntarily slowed down for the moment :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3071866&postcount=4454

But things are still moving :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2618507&postcount=1

When their reasons to give priority to the harrier are cleared I'm sure the progress will resume at full speed :).

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

:(

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

• 6 months later...

Still an issue.

That's one annoying thing about DCS full-fidelity models: rack you brain trying to understand stuff, go crazy at odd hours of the night, only to find out it's a glaring bug... :(

That actually kept me away from BlackShark in the early days. More time doing QA than actual flying/enjoying. :(

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone confirm if there are still issues with the INS, specifically with position update?

I just picked up the 2000 in the sale and I'm running through the training missions. And at the moment I am unable to get the updates to work, regardless of radar update or not. Similarly INS bombing always fails as again i cant update the IP.

And even if you could, INS bombing would fail because it lacks precision, and because the auto release is not working in PI mode... lol !

I can update the UNI in flight (REC+VAL) it's just very basic: you don't have to radar range the point in OBL mode, or even fly over the point. Just hit REC+VAL below 10 Nm of the waypoint, and the UNI will update

=> This aspect of the UNI is very badly modeled, and is in dire need of fixing...

Win10 x64, Intel core I9 9900k@5ghz, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080 ti, MSI Z370 Tomahawk mobo, M.2 SSD, Warthog HOTAS, home made trackIr, Pimax 8K

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
INS Position Update still not working now.

with REC button, the delta is catched, but with VAL button, it reset to 0 and NAV position does not changed.

In 2020, REC does not even compute/display any delta now. It seems impossible to update the INS.

This makes AG bombing almost useless for small, hard to spot targets.

I just did an offset (radar) and an overfly update and it showed delta info and changes my 00 coordinates on VAL.

It's working the same today as it was last year. It's still doing the wrong update logic (making INS perfect) but it's doing what it used to.

When you want to check INS update logic make a deliberate large error in 00 coordinates (e.g. 30 minutes of Lat or Long) and then run the update. Since the update always perfects the INS you won't see a very large change is the drift was small.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for getting to this one late, yes known and team has been trying different ways to work around it.

TL;DR:

Good to know it's being looked at.

Detail / Speculation

• Overfly update might be fairly straight forward as the aircraft's INS coordinates "simply" need to update to those of the selected waypoint.

• OBS is a little more difficult as both the HUD diamond position (7 pixel high) and radar range measurement are fairly inaccurate ATM.

AFAIK the Harrier's TGP area track displays slant range well, so a "cheat" would use similar logic and the HUD OBS diamond - rounding errors, etc. should hopefully make it less than perfect.

The maths is "easy" i.e. selected waypoint coordinates +/- radar ranging offset.

For info. - How INS update was working in 2.5.5.x

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4198819#post4198819

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

The mathematics is easy (pseudocode).

Overfly update

positionAssumed = waypointPosition;

Radar offset update

positionAssumed = funcNewLocationFromPositionAndVector( waypointPosition, -vectorToUpdate);

Here's an example of a radar offset update long hand:

Waypoint N41°30' E039°21'

Radar info 280°T 8120m

(8120 x cosine(280)) / 111111 = 0.012690 or 45.7''

(8120 x sine(280)) / (111111 x cosine(41.5)) = -0.09609 or -5'45.9''

N41°30' - 45.7'' = N41°29'14.3''

E039°21' - -5'45.9'' = E039°26'45.9''

New "00" position N41°29'14.3'' E039°26'45.9''.

Check that from N41°29'14.3'' E039°26'45.9'' to N41°30' E039°21' is 280 8120m. It's close maybe could be better. The hard work is deriving a new coordinate based on a given position and a vector.

Considering that the module probably has access to the XYZ positions of the assumed point, waypoint, and radar offset point you would convert all of them into XYZ then do the subtractions in XZ and when you're done convert that XZ into a coordinate to display on the PCN.

E.g.

Waypoint X 6000, Z 9000.

Actual Ownship X 7500 Z 8500

Actual Radar Point X7900 Z 8900

Then radar vector is X+400, Z+400. If waypoint is X 6000, Z 9000 then Assumed Ownship must be updated to X 5600, Z 8600.

Checking that from 5600, 8600 to 6000, 9000 is a +400, +400 which is the same as the delta from the actual own to actual radar.

Appreciate the effort to help correct this guys but the logic the SDK follows may not always translate well from IRL to game. Like I mentioned before the team is exploring variations and options to better increase the realism between the IRL system and the system in game.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Appreciate the effort to help correct this guys but the logic the SDK follows may not always translate well from IRL to game. Like I mentioned before the team is exploring variations and options to better increase the realism between the IRL system and the system in game.

Perfect, hope they find a solution for this :).

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

• 2 months later...
On 12/27/2016 at 12:06 PM, Boagord said:

When I do a waypoint flyby position update, if I press the REC button wherever inside the radius of 15 nautical miles and then press the VAL button the INS drift will be set to 0. I don't need to fly over the landmark's waypoint.

Just wanted to report that this ^^^ is still true 4 years later, as of current OB.

Having to do correct INS fixes is half the personality of strike missions in these pre-GPS aircraft (Viggen etc.). Disappointing that this doesnt work...

Edited by dorianR666

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

To express it in pseudocode

Current incorrect behaviour:

ins_coordinates := real_plane_coordinates

Expected behaviour:
ins_coordinates := entered_coordinates_of(selected_waypoint)

Or if RAZBAM implemented the INS drift as separate variable, instead of continuously modifying INS coordinates

Current incorrect behaviour:

ins_drift := 0

Expected behaviour:

ins_drift := entered_coordinates_of(selected_waypoint) - real_plane_coordinates

Edited by dorianR666

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

• 5 months later...
  • myHelljumper changed the title to [RESOLVED] Ins Position Update