Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50

Cyph3r

But can you talk maybe with the Virpil ? They should find a solution to help you out with this issue

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also not very happy over here. Replacement cams were only halve polished like the other user who posted alot of pictures. Were better polished than originals so went on with installing.

Frustrating to say the least. The new cams dimensions which are supposed to go over the notch are approximately 1,5 or 2 mm narrower than originals. Also the notch seemed to be not cut straight. My guess is that the original didn't fit at first and they manually stripped some material away. They didn't do a decent job though since the cam didn't sit flush with the material. That's where my problems arose. I had to cut away a bit of the material from the sides of the notch and the surrounding "flat/not flat" area to get the cam fit precisely. 10 minute job took 2 hours!

Only did the roll cam. Pitch cam was working as intended but not 100 percent smooth but because of tediousness of installing left pitch cam for what it was. And because I apparently stripped the screws on a previous endeavor to fasten it securely so it wouldn't make weird noises and suffer from sticktion.

But I'll take my losses and hope to never open the damn thing again. I guess that's the "perks" of early adoption...

Not happy about the sloppy manufacturing. I sincerely hope virpil will have better precision in the future because this will scare customers away.

But can you talk maybe with the Virpil ? They should find a solution to help you out with this issue

I sent an email, will see.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Not happy about the sloppy manufacturing. I sincerely hope virpil will have better precision in the future because this will scare customers away.

I would urge caution to anyone considering trying to replace their cams. If I had of known it was going to end like this for me, I would never have even attempted it and just lived with the harder center cams and stronger springs. At least then I would have had a stick that worked, though I was not crazy about the feel as it came stock.

I was able to get the roll cam on ok, though really had to work with it to get it to seat properly and get the screws in. Just everything went to hell in a handbasket with the other cam. I no longer have a working stick.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I did not like the harder center cam which came installed on mine by default, and the extra cams I got were defective so waited a few weeks until I get the replacement cams yesterday.

Tried to install the softer center cams ( 2 dot ) this morning. Roll cam replacement went fine. Pitch cam one screw came out ok, the other would not - locked in there like it was glued in or something and stripped. Thought I might could get a small drill bit started into the end of it, then reverse it and back it out. Screw went on through into the bracket behind it and broke off. Screw is protruding into that bracket and therefore gimbal will no longer move. With it broken off, don't see any way to get it at this point.

Yeah I know I probably should not have tried this, had done it with other screws that were stripped in the past successfully. These cam screws are not very good. So I have a locked up gimbal now that is no good to me.

Guess now I will just have to go back to my Warthog and wait for the MCG Pro grip for my Gunfighter Pro. The Mongoose is done. Lot of money down the drain for me.

Hi Don, I'm really sorry to hear you had a bad experience changing your cams which has resulted in the untimely death of your VPC MongoosT-50 Base. I've received your email regarding the issue and I promise you we'll get you sorted out with this and flying with the MongoosT-50 again!

I absolutely urge anyone who is having any issues though, to contact us directly before performing any sort of home-surgery!

Also not very happy over here. Replacement cams were only halve polished like the other user who posted alot of pictures. Were better polished than originals so went on with installing.

Frustrating to say the least. The new cams dimensions which are supposed to go over the notch are approximately 1,5 or 2 mm narrower than originals. Also the notch seemed to be not cut straight. My guess is that the original didn't fit at first and they manually stripped some material away. They didn't do a decent job though since the cam didn't sit flush with the material. That's where my problems arose. I had to cut away a bit of the material from the sides of the notch and the surrounding "flat/not flat" area to get the cam fit precisely. 10 minute job took 2 hours!

Only did the roll cam. Pitch cam was working as intended but not 100 percent smooth but because of tediousness of installing left pitch cam for what it was. And because I apparently stripped the screws on a previous endeavor to fasten it securely so it wouldn't make weird noises and suffer from sticktion.

But I'll take my losses and hope to never open the damn thing again. I guess that's the "perks" of early adoption...

Hi kingpinda, if your cams looked like that one other users then they are still incorrect! Can you email sale@virpil.com with your order number and note about this again and I will personally ensure this issue is resolved for you and you are happy with your VPC setup!

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Don, I'm really sorry to hear you had a bad experience changing your cams which has resulted in the untimely death of your VPC MongoosT-50 Base. I've received your email regarding the issue and I promise you we'll get you sorted out with this and flying with the MongoosT-50 again!

I absolutely urge anyone who is having any issues though, to contact us directly before performing any sort of home-surgery!

Thanks I appreciate your looking into this.

I would encourage you to pass along to the team, those cam screws are not very good - too soft. If they are in there with any amount of torque, very easy to strip trying to get them out. I got three out of the four out ok because they were not in there very tight, this one though was and created all the woes for me. I stupidly thought I might could get that stripped screw out, obviously that did not go well at all for me.

Don B

Thanks I appreciate your looking into this.

I would encourage you to pass along to the team, those cam screws are not very good - too soft. If they are in there with any amount of torque, very easy to strip trying to get them out. I got three out of the four out ok because they were not in there very tight, this one though was and created all the woes for me. I stupidly thought I might could get that stripped screw out, obviously that did not go well at all for me.

I have definitely passed this onto the team, such feedback is very important to us and we will improve our products based on this feedback.

Don't worry about it though Don. As you know I'm currently in communication with you via email and we'll get it resolved. :thumbsup:

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have definitely passed this onto the team, such feedback is very important to us and we will improve our products based on this feedback.

Don't worry about it though Don. As you know I'm currently in communication with you via email and we'll get it resolved. :thumbsup:

Yes thanks so much, I really appreciate it.

After flying with this stick, the thought of having to go back to my Warthog is not very appealing.

Don B

Just replace screws with stainless steel screws and problem solved. You can do it yourself.

Yeah that is assuming one can get the installed screws out... which was my problem.

Edited by dburne

Don B

What about the Virpil throttle ?

It looks great.

LE : i don't understand how this one was build :)

1986424109_virpilthrottle.thumb.jpg.0c76218c688a08ec04d8d445b6240989.jpg

IMG_8070_1.thumb.jpg.dd59aac03e2b1745b904990863133e41.jpg

Edited by Lenux

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Hey gang just to report back in on my issue,

Virpil and I have reached an agreement, that is very fair for me with all things considered, and I have placed an order and should be getting a new T-50 Base here hopefully within next two weeks. They are shooting to get it sent out the end of this week.

I am very satisfied with the resolution and really looking forward to having my Mongoose back up and running ASAP. Just don't think I have the heart to fly with the Warthog stick in the meantime, will see...

I would caution anyone that has not yet, to be extremely careful especially if changing cams out. Don't do like I did and end up screwing the whole gimbal up over a bad screw, if something doesn't seem quite right contact Cyph3r first.

I especially want to thank Cyph3r for going to bat for me and doing his best to get a fair and quick resolution.

Don B

Hey gang just to report back in on my issue,

Virpil and I have reached an agreement, that is very fair for me with all things considered, and I have placed an order and should be getting a new T-50 Base here hopefully within next two weeks. They are shooting to get it sent out the end of this week.

I am very satisfied with the resolution and really looking forward to having my Mongoose back up and running ASAP. Just don't think I have the heart to fly with the Warthog stick in the meantime, will see...

I would caution anyone that has not yet, to be extremely careful especially if changing cams out. Don't do like I did and end up screwing the whole gimbal up over a bad screw, if something doesn't seem quite right contact Cyph3r first.

I especially want to thank Cyph3r for going to bat for me and doing his best to get a fair and quick resolution.

Very glad to hear you're happy with the resolution dburne. :thumbsup:

For further clarity, we offered dburne a number of solutions and ultimately let him decide which worked best for him.

You'll be back up and running in no time! :pilotfly:

But just to reiterate, if anyone experiences any sort of problem, contact me immediately (preferably by email) before any permanent damage is caused. We'll get it sorted! :joystick:

Edited by Cyph3r

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have a question about the stick base - I fly with my forearm planted in a place on my surface/desk, so the desk clamp/mounts are a no go for me. How balanced/sturdy is the stick base, it looks like a pretty small square, just wondering how it is to use just sitting on a desktop surface like that. Do you need to affix it firmly in place with something, or will it generally stay in place all on its own if you're using it without the desk clamp mount.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I have a question about the stick base - I fly with my forearm planted in a place on my surface/desk, so the desk clamp/mounts are a no go for me. How balanced/sturdy is the stick base, it looks like a pretty small square, just wondering how it is to use just sitting on a desktop surface like that. Do you need to affix it firmly in place with something, or will it generally stay in place all on its own if you're using it without the desk clamp mount.

It's not designed for use on a desk - it will not stay upright on it's own at all whilst in use..

I had to make my own "mount" by using a Vesa mount from an Intel Nuc, it works for screwing down where I wanted to, but it would really have been nice to include a"desktop mount" base, even if not for use on a desktop, to be able to screw it down to a surface without having to dodgy up my own mount...

A small thing, but still.

Z...

Edited by Barefoot Bandit

Just curious, are there any Mongoose owners in here running soft springs with soft center cams?

I found the medium springs as it came stock to still be somewhat stout, for instance pulling back at an angle it seemed like the springs were fighting me a little - just wondering if soft springs will still return to center on it's own?

Don B

Check out the Virtual MAKS 2017 Live Stream Replay

At the 1 hour 27 min mark, the Smile Pilots Club flight begins. 5 of the 6 SPC pilots are flying with the VPC MongoosT-50 Flightstick! :pilotfly:

Edited by Cyph3r

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just curious, are there any Mongoose owners in here running soft springs with soft center cams?

I found the medium springs as it came stock to still be somewhat stout, for instance pulling back at an angle it seemed like the springs were fighting me a little - just wondering if soft springs will still return to center on it's own?

Hi dburne! The stick should still return to center on its own on the soft springs unless you loosen the spring tensioners off significantly and use a large extension!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi dburne! The stick should still return to center on its own on the soft springs unless you loosen the spring tensioners off significantly and use a large extension!

Great! That's exactly what I am looking for thanks.

Don B

Is anyone who preordered still waiting on their shipment?

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyone who has been waiting for their shipment for an unusually long period of time (3+ weeks) please email me at sale@virpil.com with your order number and tracking code. There was an issue with EMS' forwarder that has since been resolved but I'm chasing up individual packages personally :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]