To buy or not to fly

Xxx

Hello all.

I was all set to buy the Viggen, this weekend, especially after all the hard work the devs have done in the first patch. But then I began reading the "bugs" section of the 1.5.6 beta.

I have a flawless 1.5.5 release version. I am therefore reluctant to buy the Viggen to fly in a "beta" 1.5.6 which is obviously going through further development to eradicate bugs.

Can anyone say if the 1.5.6 has acceptable behaviour (especially shadows) enough to justify installing it along side my release version?

I feel disappointed to have to buy a full priced aircraft, only to have to run it in a beta DCS World. It makes me feel like I am paying to be a beta tester, shouldn't it be the other way around?

Regards,

David

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

I feel disappointed to have to buy a full priced aircraft, only to have to run it in a beta DCS World. It makes me feel like I am paying to be a beta tester, shouldn't it be the other way around?

Completely valid opinion, and since you feel like that you should wait for the final release.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

Well it's totally that. You buy an Early Access product. It wil have bug and troubles. If you don't want that, you can wait for the Viggen to go out of early access

The difference between 1.5 stable and beta is much smaller than you seem to think. Unless there's a major gamebreaking bug found in beta update, the release version gets the same update a week or two later.

Besides, it's very likely the Viggen will be released in 1.5 stable with the next update.

As far as buying early access modules, that's really up to you. If you plan to buy it anyway, I see no reason to wait until the full release. If you're on the fence, or can't tolerate bugs and WIP, then yeah maybe you should wait for the full release. Viggen, only a weak after release, is a damn good module and great fun to fly. Sure there are bugs, the bug section has like 10 pages of reported bugs (and we'll sure find 10 pages more :D), but most of them are relative minor bugs, no true showstoppers so far.

Anyway, how could you not want to buy a plane which has the Automatik Fart Kontroll? :D

Shadows in cockpits issue (if that's the one You're talking about) was not THAT bad to begin with, I only noticed it on some elements of Spitfire cockpit and only in some specific lighting conditions. No idea where it was even visible in other planes. Apparently it's been fixed today though, as I, again, could confirm in the Spitfire after testing both today's updates.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Completely valid opinion, and since you feel like that you should wait for the final release.

I think this sums it up perfectly.

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Been playing 1.5.6 for a week now and have had problems with long loading times and stuttering but nothing game breaking.

Todays patch for 1.5.6 has addressed both those issues and as for the ten pages of bugs in the Viggen forum.... to be honest haven't even notice 20% of them whilst trying to learn the Viggen systems.

As of now i might not be able to do a cold start but i know how to navigate to the target then bomb, rocket, cannon, missile it once i'm there :thumbup:.

What i'm trying to say is just accept it warts and all for now.... it's only going to get better :).

Win 11 Home 64Bit, i7-13700K@5.2Ghz Water Cooled, 32 Gb RAM, PNY RTX4090, HP Reverb, PICO 4, Quest 3, Realsimulator FSSB R3, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Pedals.

Regarding shadows -- Cobra seemed to make a big deal out of this, but I honestly couldn't tell there was any issue with them. I would recommend buying it, despite having to use beta. I'm able to enjoy this both SP and MP (friends on private server, not tried big public ones), and have hardly noticed any bugs.

Edited by scaflight

The difference between 1.5 stable and beta is much smaller than you seem to think. Unless there's a major gamebreaking bug found in beta update, the release version gets the same update a week or two later.

Besides, it's very likely the Viggen will be released in 1.5 stable with the next update.

As far as buying early access modules, that's really up to you. If you plan to buy it anyway, I see no reason to wait until the full release. If you're on the fence, or can't tolerate bugs and WIP, then yeah maybe you should wait for the full release. Viggen, only a weak after release, is a damn good module and great fun to fly. Sure there are bugs, the bug section has like 10 pages of reported bugs (and we'll sure find 10 pages more :D), but most of them are relative minor bugs, no true showstoppers so far.

Anyway, how could you not want to buy a plane which has the Automatik Fart Kontroll? :D

If it goes on to 1.5 stable on next update, they will have my purchase for sure!

I have read all the reports here and watched all Bunyap's and xxjohn'sxx you tube videos, so I am completely sold on the Viggen. Its having to download the 1.5.6 beta World that's not really my cup of tea!

Thanks for the reply guys. I can wait another week. :book:

Best regards

David

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Dont hesitate. Buy Viggen now. Its perfectly playble.

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

That sums up completely the correct way to approach buying modules. To buy a test version will always bring with it bugs, and previously unknown issues - that is exactly what an early release program is all about.

You should wait - and it's usually just a few weeks - for the initial rash of issues to be traced and resolved.

There is of course the fact that by buying into the program early, you get a hefty discount.

Your approach definitely shows far more maturity that buying a beta and then complaining that it isn't complete.

lmao a week or so later the viggen gets patched into stable, suddenly it'll qualify as "flawless release version" by your definition

No, he says he has a flawless 1.5.5 (or stable as ED calls it), not Viggen.

I'm sure he, just like me, can cope with a few AJS-bugs once Viggen goes 1.5.X stable.

Feel free to not laugh at folks until you get more proficient reading the english language.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm sure he, just like me, can cope with a few AJS-bugs once Viggen goes 1.5.X stable.

Feel free to not laugh at folks until you get more proficient reading the english language.

Precisely!:thumbup:

I would have purchased the Viggen already if it was released for my 1.5 version. When I realised that I would have to have a "beta" 1.5.6 version, sitting alongside my 1.5, I simply could not see the point. The "bugs", I don't like, are to do with the 1.5.6 beta platform, not the Viggen!

The 1.5.6 is a "beta" platform. I choose not to run a beta platform. I do not mind buying a full price aircraft module, even if it is an "early release". I can tell you, just watching xxjohn'sxx and Bunyap's videos, the Viggen looks well developed already!

I will buy it immediately I see it in my 1.5 "modules ready to buy" section.:D

Cheers

David

If it goes on to 1.5 stable on next update, they will have my purchase for sure!

I have read all the reports here and watched all Bunyap's and xxjohn'sxx you tube videos, so I am completely sold on the Viggen. Its having to download the 1.5.6 beta World that's not really my cup of tea!

Thanks for the reply guys. I can wait another week. :book:

Best regards

David

Fiddling with multiple installations, beta, alpha and whatnot, is not everyone's cup of tea, that' perfectly understandable. :)

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Viggen once it hits 1.5 stable.

Regarding shadows -- Cobra seemed to make a big deal out of this, but I honestly couldn't tell there was any issue with them. I would recommend buying it, despite having to use beta. I'm able to enjoy this both SP and MP (friends on private server, not tried big public ones), and have hardly noticed any bugs.

Sorry about that. :D

It's just that when you spend 1.5+ years working on a cockpit, you want it to be flawless on release day, hehe.

Anyway, that particular issue is fixed now OP! We appreciate your support, regardless of whether you pick it up in 6 months or now. :)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I think you have misunderstood what probad was saying.

#irony :music_whistling:

• Like 1

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

Sorry about that. :D

It's just that when you spend 1.5+ years working on a cockpit, you want it to be flawless on release day, hehe.

Anyway, that particular issue is fixed now OP! We appreciate your support, regardless of whether you pick it up in 6 months or now. :)

HI Nicholas,

The Viggen will be my next DCS purchase.

I trust I will not have to wait 6 months to fly it! I have already read the manual and watched all the You Tube vids.:)

I would have purchased it already, if it had appeared in my modules page on my DCS 1.5! I don't understand why someone decided it had to be released only on the "beta" 1.5.6? Does it not run well in the release (stable) 1.5?

Best regards,

David