USB power drain

Hi all,

Just want to let know those of you having issues with USB devices due to power drains that I just found out one of the best options to get rid of it. I used to use until now powered hubs, but even in this case if there were multiple devices on such hub there are issue that might come up. So that I have added an internal USB controller (there are variants with extra molex power connector on them). Mine is this

I have two logitech Keyboards G510 and G13 both illuminated and with a small display on them, which cannot work together on the mainboard USBs without extra powered hub. Well, the above mentioned card can handle them with no other issues. I do also own an Madcatz mouse which is also known for high current draining... but now... everything is just fine due to redistributing them.

I used to have short disconnections of all devices connected on USBs while playing... for now i did not observed them anymore.

My USB devices are the followings:

Logitech G510

Logitech G13

Madcatz RAT7

Logitech G940 (FFB joystick)

TrackIR 5

MFG rudder pedals

3 x LeoBodnar

1 modified gamepad

.... so ... they are few of them!

Hope that might help some of you!

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

The problem has nothing to with using an internal add on card instead of a powered hub. The problem has to do with not enough power available, which can happen with internal or external hubs.

There are lots of powered hubs out there that have an insufficient power supply for the number of ports on the hub. If the hub's PSU cannot supply at least 500mA per port, don't buy it (or at least be aware that you probably won't be able to use all of the ports).

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Dont know if Im just unlucky, but over time Ive tried 3-4 different powered USB hubs, and none of them have worked properly. Always some devices that they wont recognize, for what ever reason. So I gave up on those too, and have been running a 4 port USB expansion card instead, plus a bog standard USB hub. Works like a charm.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Insufficient power I have seen but devices not being recognized has never happened over multiple machines and a dozen or more USB 2 and 3 hubs.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The powered hubs I have were "tuned" in house by disconnecting the + from the PC and adding a custom stabilized power source instead (very reliable power source).

The problem with hubs however is not related only to power but to number of devices that are in use simultaneous. If you have a 4 or more ports hub and you are using them alternatively (printer, scaner..etc) there will be absolutely no issue. But when are 4 joystick controllers which are sending signals more often, then sometimes small issue can occur (like short disconnections, handshaking ). I am not saying that they cannot work, but i am saying that it can be improved.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

USB is serial...that's where those problems begin and end with !

PS2 in comparison is totally different in how it gets its data from the KB/M to your motherboard and OS. There is no DELAY, no sharing a serial bus, none of that.

I have just bought an internal USB Hub from NZXT with 12V and 3x internal and 2x standard USB conns ( tho still internal ). Seems to work, tho I have to say I dislike USB Hubs, most of them are not 100% reliable.

Have I mentioned I dislike USB ??

I use a PS2 KB btw...whenever I can

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Sapphire  Nitro+ 7800XT - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I am wondering if this is the reason my Rift headset gets disconnected. It is/seems more of a prevalent problem in MP. Does a usb crash/disconnect produce a log somewhere?

My USB 3 ports are via a PCI expansion card with 2x 6Gb sata connected to 2x SSD's

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am wondering if this is the reason my Rift headset gets disconnected. It is/seems more of a prevalent problem in MP. Does a usb crash/disconnect produce a log somewhere?

My USB 3 ports are via a PCI expansion card with 2x 6Gb sata connected to 2x SSD's

Make sure you have all power management in device manager for those usb3 ports on that card disabled. I know with the Innatek card, it re-enables it with each new boot.

There is a fellow over on the Oculus forums developed a program to disable all of those on each boot, pretty handy. I was pulling my hair out when I first got the Rift due to this issue, now no problem at all.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

In device manager, look for your USB 3.0 Fresco Logic , disable power management there. Then, also in device manager, look for Oculus Rift - Sensors - disable power management there for each sensor listed.

They will stay disabled until you reboot the PC, at which time you will need to go in and do it again.

Again as I mentioned, there is a Tray Tool a fellow developed over on the Oculus Forums, it is in the General forum, you can set that to run on each boot and disable all that for you on each boot. Saves a few steps.

Hope this helps,

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

A little bit of digging found this

Yes. I also found the Windows default setting of turning of the usb ports very annoying but in Windows 10 there is an easy fix. Access Power Options (e.g., by typing ‘Power Options’ in the search bar of Control Panel) Click on ‘Change power plan settings’ on the power plan that is being used (has a bullet ticked) Click change ‘Advanced power settings In popup box, double click on USB settings and on USB selective suspend, then click on ‘Enabled’ and change to ‘Disabled.

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This whole thread led me to fixing the problem I was having w my brand new lilliput 8" monitors. I had everything going through a powered hub plus to usb fans. The monitors were cutting on and off. I took out the two powered fans, and now the monitors work well.

Thanks!

Los

A little bit of digging found this

Also, while you are there anyway, make sure you run HIGH PERFORMANCE for DCS.

This should be bold and sticky somewhere, along with the USB energy thing, a crucial setting meanwhile for many, incl. me with this last rig here, stupid energy savings.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Sapphire  Nitro+ 7800XT - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

This whole thread led me to fixing the problem I was having w my brand new lilliput 8" monitors. I had everything going through a powered hub plus to usb fans. The monitors were cutting on and off. I took out the two powered fans, and now the monitors work well.

Thanks!

Los

We solve them all :D

Meanwhile...I have this damn USB attach-deattach sound myself after putting in a USB20 internal multiplier by NZXT.

It's not always and comes during stress tests usually when CPU and Mem is near or at 100%.

USB...gaaawd..invent something that works, is NOT serial and must not wait to be polled..etc..

Overclocking alone makes me wanna use PS2 solely...often the mouse jams, Bios is slow or unresponsive with USB Mouse/KB...all cuz of that polling disaster :(

I have had to unplug my warthog throttle when I use my home made cyclic or else the rift headset disconnects. Agree it is pants. I also fear more modern mobo's with limited USB connectors on the I/O

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think, wehave a good chance of solving it if we move the devices around, between different USB's.

Maybe 1 combo/layout causes them to remain stable and dont get dropped.

Actually, mine only happens when I OC & Stresstest...seems like a voltage dropout causing them to disconnect for a splitt second and then they want right back in, DING DONG--DING DONG...endless till I reboot or stop stressing it.

I am at the point where I think maybe a more sophisticated board with more stable layout made for OC would have been better, but I was so dissed last time that I take the burden of this underdog and help it to glory :)

IPC 3040 ain't nothing for a small mobo :D

I guess the Maximus IX Extreme must clock to 5.5 to make it pay, which it wont do !