VR absolutely transformational!

I'm very tempted to get into VR, but the lack of good tools to sync with a home cockpit is preventing me from doing so. I am wondering if DCS will ever see the possibility on the software side to have pilot arms move based on gloves you wear that give full position info of each finger - that way you can watch your in-game pilot avatar flip the switch you are physically flipping in your pit.

Once that is feasible, I'm sold. Until then, I want to build my F-14 cockpit and have the immersion of sitting in the pit and actually touching the instruments.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very tempted to get into VR, but the lack of good tools to sync with a home cockpit is preventing me from doing so. I am wondering if DCS will ever see the possibility on the software side to have pilot arms move based on gloves you wear that give full position info of each finger - that way you can watch your in-game pilot avatar flip the switch you are physically flipping in your pit.

Once that is feasible, I'm sold. Until then, I want to build my F-14 cockpit and have the immersion of sitting in the pit and actually touching the instruments.

I use DSD Button Boxes and I fully execute start ups and every function in the cockpit by hitting real switches.

Pit1.thumb.jpg.83e009841fc98d01c58d0bda3bd7dff6.jpg

Pit2.thumb.jpg.bac39cb53bd996ed8af5080d342dbd6e.jpg

I have absolutely no idea about the VR highest resolution, how to use it, and so on :)

Okay, i believe all you said, guys. But there is another big big question about VR : how do you use all your keyboard / HOTAS, joystick buttons ??

Do you have to guess where they are ? :)

LE : 2160 x 1200 is the highest VR resolution, available ?

Okay, lets try to compare the dpi, HTC VIVE vs my Samsung 55 inches 4k TV

HTC VIVE - 2160 x 1200 that means 145 ppi

Samsung 55 inches 4k - 3840 x 2160 means 80 ppi

I don't know if the way i calculated, is wrong or not.

But in this case, on the HTC VIVE , everything should look better, right ??

I doubt it

I used to play on a 40" 4K and trackIR, everything maxed out, and now I have a Rift. There's no way I would go back. What you lose in definition you gain in realism and immersion, VR is the future of the way you look at all images, you now have the missing dimension so far : relief !

I bought Voice Attack a few month ago when I was considering buying a Rift and created a profile for each module, it's so easy to use and works flawlessly with the built-in mic of the Rift, and I now just need my Hotas, and sometimes my G13. I don't need my keyboard anymore, and I seldom use my mouse.

It's just impossible to precisely describe what you experience with VR, and no video can show it either, until you put a HMD on. You just enter a whole new world. I will never regret my purchase, though I have so far the minimal configuration with a I7 5820k@3.30GHz, a gtx970 and 32Go RAM :)

You bastards are really selling me on throwing away my plan of "Waiting until the next gen VR" to get in. Damn it.

...I currently have NewEgg tabs open to the Rift CV1 Summer Deal page + the MSI 1080 Ti page.

Me too. I'd decided to give a pass to VR version 1 and wait for the next major hardware refresh but hell.... y'all are killing me.

With the current state of the art and considering ONLY DCS, is there any real performance difference IN DCS between the Rift and Vive? The latter just had it's first big price drop. It's still more expensive than the Rift, though, so it would need at least some noticeable benefit or improvement over the Rift in DCS for me to consider it.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

I used to play on a 40" 4K and trackIR, everything maxed out, and now I have a Rift. There's no way I would go back. What you lose in definition you gain in realism and immersion, VR is the future of the way you look at all images, you now have the missing dimension so far : relief !

I bought Voice Attack a few month ago when I was considering buying a Rift and created a profile for each module, it's so easy to use and works flawlessly with the built-in mic of the Rift, and I now just need my Hotas, and sometimes my G13. I don't need my keyboard anymore, and I seldom use my mouse.

It's just impossible to precisely describe what you experience with VR, and no video can show it either, until you put a HMD on. You just enter a whole new world. I will never regret my purchase, though I have so far the minimal configuration with a I7 5820k@3.30GHz, a gtx970 and 32Go RAM :)

It still amazes me that some people are unable to work out what VR does. Basically the light that goes into your eyes comes exclusively from two small screens in the HMD. One screen per eye to give 3D binocular vision. OK, you get less FOV (is that hard to imagine) and low res, but it's still like actually being there. But what amazes me even more is that some gamers aren't even curious about VR. What unimaginative, unadventurous, echoing voids some people have for lives.

Me too. I'd decided to give a pass to VR version 1 and wait for the next major hardware refresh but hell.... y'all are killing me.

With the current state of the art and considering ONLY DCS, is there any real performance difference IN DCS between the Rift and Vive? The latter just had it's first big price drop. It's still more expensive than the Rift, though, so it would need at least some noticeable benefit or improvement over the Rift in DCS for me to consider it.

It's done for me now, VR is up and running and I regret nothing. It's SO much better than 2D, even on my old monitor...

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

They are pretty much the same in the performance and resolution department.

The Vive has a slight advantage in the room scale department, it is better with larger room scale. But Rift has been improving there as well.

The Vive also reportedly has slightly more pronounced SDE ( Screen Door Effect) than the Rift.

I think for primarily DCS the Rift is probably the better choice as it is still a little cheaper (100 bucks) currently. And you get some really cool Touch supported games with it upon activation of the Touch Controllers. Some of them are a real blast for some nice little breaks in between flying missions.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Another question about VR, guys : when i use TrackIR, sometime when i want to click some buttons inside the cockpit ( clickable cockpit aircrafts ) it's very annoying, because i have to pause the TrackIR, or else i can't " touch " the button i want.

Does this happent with VR, too ?

I'm not sure if i exlpained right, sorry please, for my poor english.

So, if i decide to order VR, which one should I get ?! What's the difference ( pros - cons ) between HTC VIVE / Oculus Rift ?

Thank you, again.

Edited by Lenux

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Another question about VR, guys : when i use TrackIR, sometime when i want to click some buttons inside the cockpit ( clickable cockpit aircrafts ) it's very annoying, because i have to pause the TrackIR, or else i can " touch " the button i want.

Does this happent with VR, too ?

I'm not sure if i exlpained right, sorry please, for my poor english.

Thank you, again.

Hi, you are able to use your mouse within VR. I use it to "click" on buttons and switches. I don't pause anything. I cold start within VR just fine.

Sometime soon, I plan to get Voice Attack running, to minimize and need of the keyboard or mouse.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

javelina, when you used TrackIR 5, did it happent this to you, as well ?

Do you know what i mean ?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

javelina, when you used TrackIR 5, did it happent this to you, as well ?

Do you know what i mean ?

I know that in the past when I flew with TrackIR, it could be difficult for me to line up the mouse on a switch. Because just a slight head shake would throw off my view a bit. But I managed to still click the switches with TrackIR, and I never had to pause it.

Second, I also made use of Helios with a 2nd monitor touch screen. That made life a lot easier for clicking the switches.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Exactly.....! Every word.

???

I know that in the past when I flew with TrackIR, it could be difficult for me to line up the mouse on a switch. Because just a slight head shake would throw off my view a bit.

Does this happen with VR, too??

Does this happen with VR, too??

Honestly, I think I have better control with VR. The head movement is 1 to 1 ratio.

Also, I think Voice Attack is the way to go for a lot of the keyboard commands anyways. (Having a good HOTAS helps too).

Okay, thanks a million, guys.

Now, the last " step "

Which VR i should get ?

:helpsmilie:

Now, the last " step "

Which VR i should get ?

I think the Rift is better suited for DCS and Flight sims. But the Vive does much better with full room VR requirements, beyond just Flight Sims. Either should work fine. But I think as of now, the Rift is about $100 cheaper than the Vive.

Scan the threads here for VR, you'll see the feedback. But overall, the general consensus from VR users is. Once you go VR, you'll never go back. :thumbup:

I do play 95 % flight sims.

Do they ( Rift and VIVE ) have different specs / settings ?

Here in Germany, Oculus Rift price - 450 euro and HTC VIVE - 700 euro

For Flight sims - PC ( VIVE ) do I need to mount those 2 base stations ??

Edited by Lenux

I do play 95 % flight sims.

Do they ( Rift and VIVE ) have different specs / settings ?

Here in Germany, Oculus Rift price - 450 euro and HTC VIVE - 700 euro

For Flight sims - PC ( VIVE ) do I need to mount those 2 base stations ??

based on that 95% of your time is flying flight sims, I'd go with the Rift.

They're both equal in the display.

Now, the last " step "

Which VR i should get ?

I would also recommend the Rift, based on my own investigations into it and the Vive.

I am very happy with the performance of the Rift both for flight and driving sims. Had very few problems - and any 'poor sensor connection' warnings I do get are easily sorted by just restarting the Oculus Home software.

It is also a good idea to get yourself the 'suggested' Inatek 4-port powered USB PCI-E card for the headset and sensors (I would also recommend getting the touch controllers with extra sensor - so two total which works well).

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unless you have money to burn I would wait for next generation.

It is true that once you try VR it is hard to go back BUT everytime you fly in current VR you reminded that it still isn't there yet. For DCS you REALLY need a higher resolution.

So I think you should avoid trying it until it is a bit better. That way you still enjoy playing the way you always have and then when you do you make the jump to VR it is the experience that it's meant to be.

Unless you have money to burn I would wait for next generation.

It is true that once you try VR it is hard to go back BUT everytime you fly in current VR you reminded that it still isn't there yet. For DCS you REALLY need a higher resolution.

So I think you should avoid trying it until it is a bit better. That way you still enjoy playing the way you always have and then when you do you make the jump to VR it is the experience that it's meant to be.

CV1 is more than good enough res wise to run DCS. I have no trouble operating the A10C in VR. Monitors are rubbish, it's the end of the 2nd decade of the 21st century not 1989.