Plane has too much ground drag.

Koriel

Got a new PC, getting back into the M2k after a while.

I noticed that I require quite a bit of thrust to start moving, and when going back to idle the plane decelerates and stops way too quick.

A plane of about 10 tons with idle thrust shouldn't slow down as quickly as it does in game. And yes I checked that my brake axis are all set up correctly.

I talked it over with some people online and they assume (?!) it's going to be fixed with the new flight model. I am not so sure and would like to raise the issue.

Got a new PC, getting back into the M2k after a while.

I noticed that I require quite a bit of thrust to start moving, and when going back to idle the plane decelerates and stops way too quick.

A plane of about 10 tons with idle thrust shouldn't slow down as quickly as it does in game. And yes I checked that my brake axis are all set up correctly.

I talked it over with some people online and they assume (?!) it's going to be fixed with the new flight model. I am not so sure and would like to raise the issue.

IIRC it's a problem with DCS, IRL the plane moves on idle requiring wheel chocks or parking brake.

When the FM was tuned for the plane to move on idle, the wheel brakes where not strong enough to and the landings where way too long. The realistic wheel brake effectiveness was more important for correct landing lengths.

I don't remembrer reading that il will be fixed with the upcoming FM update, only cptSmiley can answer that :).

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

Do the brakes release when you push the pedals? They must be inverted to work correctly not just set in the controls menu. Another thing to check is if you have rudder pedals, check that they are set in the control menu AND then apply the brakes and see if the plane speeds up. I have Saitek Combat Pedals and when DCS autoset them they default to on. SO if you push the toebrakes, the brakes release. In the controls menu, go to the wheel brakes and invert them to fix the problem.

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

Do the brakes release when you push the pedals? They must be inverted to work correctly not just set in the controls menu. Another thing to check is if you have rudder pedals, check that they are set in the control menu AND then apply the brakes and see if the plane speeds up. I have Saitek Combat Pedals and when DCS autoset them they default to on. SO if you push the toebrakes, the brakes release. In the controls menu, go to the wheel brakes and invert them to fix the problem.

It's not that, I said so in the first post. And yes you are correct, DCS ALWAYS gets it wrong, always have to invert the axis.

What I am talking about is that when you have some speed, the plane seems to decelerate as if you are braking quite gently. It's my feeling that when you are in idle trust, and doing 30kts ground speed it should take a lot longer to lose the speed (If any at lower weights) than it's currently being simulated in game.

I fly 65T+ planes myself with a lot lower t/w ratio and when I'm light I'm having to use the brakes in order not to get an alert on our flight data monitoring... which kicks in at 31 kts I believe... I'll bet that the Mirage even in idle has a lot more t/w ratio compared to mine, so I believe that ground drag is way overmodeled.

• 2 weeks later...
As myHelljumper noted, it is a known problem and part of the flight model upgrade to come. Hopefully soon.

Do you have a source for that? I only saw CptSmiley talk about in flight performance, high AoA drag & acceleration, FBW and autopilot, never about ground handling.

It would be really nice that they finally fix this problem too, as it is very unrealistic as of now and the worst implementation in DCS by far (at least among the modules that I own).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Normally, the M-2000C should start rolling by itself while being idle just like the F-16. Many things are still wrong but I hope those will be fixed soon enough.

The A-10 should too when lightly loaded.

I think this is a DCS limitation more than a problem with the M-2000C.

As I said above, after the first updates on the FM the mirage rolled on idle but the braking power was then not enough to have correct landing length or to hold the plane at 100% RPM.

Razbam/We could ask ED to fix this bug so all the aircrafts that roll on idle IRL, roll on idle in game.

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

The only component of ground handling I have seen RAZBAM comment on, and that will/should be fixed with the upcoming patches, is the take-off acceleration, which is far too low at the moment.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS graphics settings

The F-5 seems to roll off on it's own when I'm not paying attention, so unless I am the only one that this has happened to it's not a DCS thing.

Well, unless your taxi/runway was sloped then i don't see how it would have done that, just did some tests and even with 2% fuel no ammo, no externals, the plane still required a 10% RPM increase before moving.

EDIT : Tested on 2.1 and 1.5, same results. As far as i can remember, only the Su-25/Su-25T roll when the brakes are not applied, The A-10 with almost empty weight wants to move (the cockpit shakes a little bit) but doesn't.

F-5EGrounddragtest.trk

Edited by Rex854Warrior

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...