DCS and Pimax

Wags

We have been flying at home for decades. I doubt VR will impact the number of people who buy flightsims that much. People don't avoid sims because of the graphics medium.

It will no doubt affect the number of flightsimmers who buy VR though, especially as it improves and gets better.

I am an example of a person who started flying DCS because of VR. I was doing only racing sims and civil flight and didn't like dcs with trackir it was way too unnatural to watch the screen in front of me while trying to move my head left/right, never got used to it. Oculus DK2 made a big change and since then I do only DCS and nothing else owning almost all modules.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I agree, VR is not going to pull more customers to flight sims.

You know these friends who come over and you let them try. Then they ask "How do I shoot?"

They'll keep playing something else. :lol:

Flight sim is not about shooting. It's about managing and making the best of a machine. Engineering.

I disagree. About 20 years ago flight sims were huge. Numerous titles of varying difficulty and realism levels were released each year. I remember computer stores having shelves full of different joysticks.

VR is absolutely perfect for flight sims and I can't imagine any experience that can work better, once it's well executed.

The difference of course is that now DCS is far more realistic and complex than any sim ever was, so it remains to be seen. Even then there will be many who will want to give it a shot, so I think it's worth marketing DCS as a VR title.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

VR has the potential to completely revolutionize the flight sim world and explode it in popularity.

I started sim flying in 1993 on AOL playing Air Warrior and in 1994 got hooked hard when the beta for Warbirds came out. During '96-'98 I can recall many months with $300+ bills from playing Warbirds at $2 per hour. Go JG26 and Gold Team! During that time, the Warbirds arenas would have 400+ players online daily. The flight sim genre in general grew massively during this time frame.

I eventually drifted away primarily because the game play never evolved. Open war arenas, non-historical plane matchups and in general the "Quake in the Sky" environment created by the gameplay structure of Warbirds (and others like WarThunder or Aces High that continue to this day, with the same basic gameplay) meant that players followed a pretty consistent progression. You start off amazed at the ability to fly a simulation online with hundreds of others and it rocks. Then, as you gain experience you slowly begin to realize that the broad scenario never really changes and there is no bigger picture purpose to the "war". Thus, in time it loses the appeal and you drift away. The same general progression exists today.

VR is a game changer in that once again we are back to a similar place as 1994. The immersion and overall realistic sense of flying in VR is MORE revolutionary today than the convergence of PC and Graphics capabilities along with the internet in the early 1990s. VR is going to generate large scale interest as the technology advances (though it is clearly not there yet). Yes, for flight sims that will initially yield growth in places like WarThunder where the learning curve is easier and the gameplay more welcoming for newbies. But many of them will go through the same old progression and the opportunity for DCS (and others) is in leveraging VR combined with a true more realistically focused "War With Consequences" historical gameplay capability to quantum leap the genre.

Is DCS capable of both truly recognizing the opportunity AND rapidly deploying technology to capture the opportunity? I have my doubts, but the opportunity is there, it is real and somebody is going to build a great business around it.

ED already has the "game" mode for a few of the games. They could dumb it down a bit more probably to accommodate the casual VR gamers. The revenue could help fund more "hardcore" DCS fan base. If that happens, I hope ED does not abandon the core sim customers.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Many people are taken off just sitting in fron of a monitor as it just diesnt feel like the real thing. VR will change this. Soon people will be able tu physically turn the knobs and turn the buttons. People who never game will start and want to learn how to fly. With monitors even in a cockpit and with triple screen its still a big layer of abstraction. Some genrations VR later this layer of blockage will completely disappear. The knly thing missing from being real will be g forces. Howebpver sim shakers and motion can trick the brain at least better in vr then on monitors.

• Like 1

Me too, i still miss bms but without VR support its gone for now.

Same here, I have zero games now on my system that do not have VR support. Been gaming in VR since Jan 15th, and that is all I can do now. Monitor does not cut it any more for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have dropped sims because of No VR Support

I've dropped anything that doesn't support VR.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

I dropped P3D because its sketchy on again off again with FlyInside.

I couldn't make falcon happen because I couldn't go back to monitors.

Pimax on order. Can't wait.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

yesterday , i installed my track IR5 after 2 years of setting in box collecting dust , i wanted to learn the harrier while reading the manual . i was exited that i at least i will enjoy the graphics of DCS 2.2 while while i get to learn the Harrier . 10 minutes later i took the track IR off , uninstalled the software and i throw it back in the box, my wife looking at me she asked is something wrong with your Oculus cuz you never used this track IR . i told her no thanx god i just wanted to make sure its working before i put it up for sale :D .

if there is one thing i hate about the Rift is that it destroyed any feelings of playing any games on the monitor . i just cant play DCS anymore on 2D .

All this 8k talk but who has the hardware to run it? A 1080ti will be ok with turned down settings, maybe. VR doesn’t support SLI so that’s out. Next year when Volta is released? Who knows.

I love my Rift and 1080ti, but I just can’t see this 8k working, not at 90fps anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was never really 8K. It's more marketing. And if you consider that 1080Ti will work fine with 1.7 PD, it's not that unreasonable to think that Pimax will be OK. Especially if DCS has four more months to release updates. Look at Normandy. First release was unplayable. Now, it's solid 45FPS with ASW and very playable. So keep hope alive...if not, there's always Titan V LOL

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Pimax = 8K = Fuzzy Math...

:smartass:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Pimax = 8K = Fuzzy Math...

:smartass:

Get with the times dburne! :D That's "quick maths"

LOL. :pilotfly:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

All this 8k talk but who has the hardware to run it? A 1080ti will be ok with turned down settings, maybe. VR doesn’t support SLI so that’s out. Next year when Volta is released? Who knows.

I love my Rift and 1080ti, but I just can’t see this 8k working, not at 90fps anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who has done 5 minutes of research on the Pimax know its not 8K. Everyone knows that running 1.5 DP is a larger task than running Pimax's resolution without increased DP. Everyone knows you don't need 90FPS to comfortably use VR.

Edited by Gladman

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Get with the times dburne! :D That's "quick maths"

LOL. :pilotfly:

:megalol:

Don B

I think, most who ordered the Pimax are aware of the misleading label. It is right up there with CDROM, DVDRAM and the current use of the term Mixed Reality headset as far as accuracy goes. I would have preferred it if they had called it the Pimax 2x4, or the 4KDUO or just simply the Pimax 8 leaving the "k" out of it and letting the specs speak for themselves. Personally, this didn't put me off as I was aware of fast and loose nomenclature and the important part was clarity and fov.

As far as the running it. It is a 1440p signal upscaled to 4k and displayed to one 4k panel then the other in alternating fashion. Not an 8k native signal, so the hardware needed to run it isn't as steep as one might think. How well it will run looks promising. Guess we will find out next year.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

Anyone who has done 5 minutes of research on the Pimax know its not 8K. Everyone knows that running 1.5 DP is a larger task than running Pimax's resolution without increased DP. Everyone knows you don't need 90FPS to comfortably use VR.

This^

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

I'm assuming you are speaking of Pixel Density (PD) and not Display Port (DP) here.

Are you saying that running say a Rift or Vive at 1.5pd is more demanding than running the 8K at 1 pd? If so where would I find such conclusive data? If not then what are you saying?

Given we have had no benchmarking of the Pimax 8, I would think what everyone knows for certain is this is gonna look sweet and not much else.

Start here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170126&highlight=pixel+density

There are no benchmarks for the Pimax, that's correct, but you can see how hard w are running our Rifts/Vive's by giving this a solid read. Its great info.

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I'll assume then that the answers to my questions are:

-you meant PD

-you don't have conclusive data because there is none

Perhaps avoid absolutes like "everyone knows" when it comes to tech that almost everyone knows nothing about the actual performance yet. Even when we have tested the crap out of this next year, not everyone will know.

You might consider offering up such statements as I'm guessing or IMO and offer supporting statements or links that lead you to believe the supposition.

• 3 weeks later...
In the comment section of the announcement, the company says its earliest backers will have the decision to take the latest prototype ‘8K’ headset or wait for the final design. “We will double check with every backer via email before shipping,” says Pimax’s Xunshu Li. “We will have a better idea on Jan [sic], and then send email to ask stakeholders.”

Hmmmmm ..... I may be inclined to wait ....if I have the will power ;)

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2