Unveiling the VKB TECS Throttle Control System

UIV

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

18 months later - any word on this throttle system?

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sure. It takes a lot longer than 18 months to design a new device.

A word is that it is going ahead full steam.

However, there is no hurry in making such a very advanced and very special product: customer pressure is a mighty thing of course, but it doesn't influence design and production schedules.

The throttle still needs time.

Months, not weeks.

(but see the brighter side: months, not years!)

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

I only wish time for VKB to get design right (features, functions and ergonomics) as well get production designed so it is available in good amounts or quick batches.

2020-2021 is good time...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Thanks, it's nice to know that everything is moving forward, and getting it right is the main focus. Looking forward to the next news release.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Sure. It takes a lot longer than 18 months to design a new device.

A word is that it is going ahead full steam.

However, there is no hurry in making such a very advanced and very special product: customer pressure is a mighty thing of course, but it doesn't influence design and production schedules.

The throttle still needs time.

Months, not weeks.

(but see the brighter side: months, not years!)

Thanks a bunch AeroGator for the update! Nothing meant by my post, just thought it had been around 18 months since the first pics so would give this thread a poke with a stick and see if there was any progress info - which you have advised it is still full steam ahead, which is great!

I am more than happy to stick with my little TWCS throttle for a few more months (not years!;)) and await the arrival of your awesome looking throttle system.

:thumbup:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks people!

Guys we really seriously truly appreciate this healthy attitude.

Seriously, designing a device takes years - and not like 2 or 3 - rather 5 or 7. See how long it took TM to develop their new grip - and TM is a mighty company ten times larger than VKB.

Worth saying by the way is that in our history we never used external financing - you heard it right. Only loans we ever had were from our parents, and that was within a few hundred bucks range. Make, sell, save, make twice as many, sell, save, make twice as many, sell, save, etc.

I believe we'll be in fact doing exceptionally good if TECS sees the market in 2020.

:pilotfly:

>

AeroGator

Guys we really seriously truly appreciate this healthy attitude.

Seriously, designing a device takes years - and not like 2 or 3 - rather 5 or 7. See how long it took TM to develop their new grip - and TM is a mighty company ten times larger than VKB.

Worth saying by the way is that in our history we never used external financing - you heard it right. Only loans we ever had were from our parents, and that was within a few hundred bucks range. Make, sell, save, make twice as many, sell, save, make twice as many, sell, save, etc.

I believe we'll be in fact doing exceptionally good if TECS sees the market in 2020.

:pilotfly:

I kind of figured finances and man power were, in part, the reasons why the things you've announced haven't developed as quickly as might be expected.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing TECS soon . . .ish.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

finances and man power

With all respect, absolutely NO.

Abundance of finance and manpower didn't help TM in developing their new grip in 7+ years. And I'm not implying they are slow or not focused enough. Simply, some things take time.

And there are no shortcuts, regardless how many people or cash you assign.

By the way :) what I said about our financial practices is now history; now we're OK with financing our projects directly, and this has ceased being a problem since, ehhhuhh... mmmm... about 2 or 3 years ago.

Edited by AeroGator

>

AeroGator

With all respect, absolutely NO.

Abundance of finance and manpower didn't help TM in developing their new grip in 7+ years. And I'm not implying they are slow or not focused enough. Simply, some things take time.

And there are no shortcuts, regardless how many people or cash you assign.

By the way :) what I said about our financial practices is now history; now we're OK with financing our projects directly, and this has ceased being a problem since, ehhhuhh... mmmm... about 2 or 3 years ago.

Last year I bought the MCG on a Gunfighter 2 alongside the T-rudders, this was the best purchase decision in my life and I am always proud to show them off when I have visitors, and they never fail to praise the obvious quality of the engineering. All my life I felt unsatisfied by the (numerous...) devices I have owned, until these ones : they were everything I ever wanted out of a controller set... except that they didn't comprise a throttle.

I have been following this TECS thread since the very beginning, there are almost no words to describe how eager I am, to the point of only reluctantly launching games (since I don't have THE throttle yet). That said, this is nothing compared to the confidence I have in VKB to deliver on this project. Take all the time you need to make another great product (but not a minute more!).

...Seriously, designing a device takes years - and not like 2 or 3 - rather 5 or 7. See how long it took TM to develop their new grip - and TM is a mighty company ten times larger than VKB...

I don't think TM needed 5 or 7 years to desigen the new F/A-18 grip. The reason why it lasted so long is quite simple. There was no F/A-18 module to fly within DCS. Now with the F/A-18 module (hopefully) coming to the end of early access status, it was the right time for TM to bring their new stick to the market. :smartass:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

I don't think TM needed 5 or 7 years to desigen the new F/A-18 grip. The reason why it lasted so long is quite simple. There was no F/A-18 module to fly within DCS. Now with the F/A-18 module (hopefully) coming to the end of early access status, it was the right time for TM to bring their new stick to the market. :smartass:

I think he mean from the announcement. Actually their grip was delayed for the sale itself. Maybe not 5 years. Maybe almost 3 years to be honest. Whatever.

The VKB are in stock now so what need to do a person is buy I guess.

Edited by pepin1234

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Everyone knows how to a) play football, and b) make joysticks.

:joystick:

I don't play football and I don't build or design joysticks. But I'm sure TM doesn't need 5 to 7 years to design a new joystick. It was marketing reasons why it took so long. Who would have bought the new F/A-18 stick, as long as there was no F/A-18 to fly in any serious current simulator? :huh:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Everyone knows how to a) play football, and b) make joysticks.

:joystick:

c) detect BS when it is obvious that TM doesn't release their stuff 5 years after the market opportunity is confirmed.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

I don't play football and I don't build or design joysticks. But I'm sure TM doesn't need 5 to 7 years to design a new joystick. It was marketing reasons why it took so long. Who would have bought the new F/A-18 stick, as long as there was no F/A-18 to fly in any serious current simulator? :huh:
At the same time there is fair chance that there were few reasons to invest money in development as their were still top dog. And later they were at least still considered to be by many as new companies were not so well known.

Later it became maybe obvious to them that they need new product.

I wonder whether TM is going to make new gimbal

Anyway, I do not believe that it takes so long to make new grip, when it is compatible with old system thus you know how wiring of the internals should look like. How long does it take to companies to make new car, LCD screen, camera and so on?

Of course, your budget and manpower for development play their role, but then the bottleneck is not design but resources

I wonder whether TM is going to make new gimbal

Probable no, even after joystick "boutiques" show that CAM gimbal provide a more flexible, customisable option, they release TPR with the old pincer system, and... surprise, pedal owners praise the system as "the more precise, realistic" they have used to date.

So it should be better (for them) to invest money in marketing than in replace existing mechanics. ;)

Probable no, even after joystick "boutiques" show that CAM gimbal provide a more flexible, customisable option, they release TPR with the old pincer system, and... surprise, pedal owners praise the system as "the more precise, realistic" they have used to date.

So it should be better (for them) to invest money in marketing than in replace existing mechanics. ;)

You mean those big airbus-style ones? Who knows, with properly set levers and bearings they can do a good job without heavy stickness. And I am sure than many people are not fans of spending hours by changing cams, springs, adjusting profiles in control software. Also - who knows what they used before. I have old Saitek ones and their too strong central detent is something I do not like much although I am used to it now, so such pedals could look like marvel to me.

Btw. stickness - when I look on the idea of the VKB's throttle, it seems to be sliding one. If so, that awful stickness can be an issue as there is no force multiplier when moving them.

I am now using TM TWCS that is known for this issue (and rightfully so) - but it is a cheap pure slider, some rollers or linear bearings can do a marvel.

Considering the new TM stick is basically a recast of the Warthog electronics (it's still limited by axis and button count due to base firmware, correct?) if it took seven years for them to design it their entire dev team should be fired. Major AAA games don't take that long (except Star Citizen).

Reusing electronics and base, only deciding and trouble shooting the new plastic mold and how to wire the buttons up within existing limitations... I don't know how much simpler it can get when you're not ''making'' or ''innovating'' anything new. It's nearly 100% recycling. The biggest hurdle in the entire process would be prepping the production line.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2