First impressions for VR 2.5?

Wolf8312

There's alot to be happy about, however deferred shading is not an option it seems if you want MSSA in VR.

Worst thing about it is how good deferred shading actually looks in VR. Unfortunately it tanks performance and I think we can safely that say in the stable build DS and MSSA together will still not mix.

Brightness hasn't been improved without DS on and seems to have got worse which will mean still being obligated to fly only at certain times.

Correct me if I am wrong but those who do not use DS still do not have a gamma slider.

Things look great to be honest (at the right time) but trees look too bright. Terrain is greatly improved as are the buildings. Performance seemed about the same though I didn't try a very intensive mission, or fly for very long to get a proper idea.

What does everybody else think?

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

I am still adjusting and still have Deferred Shading on, but performance is certainly suffering especially as I want at least 2x MSAA.

Should have time for some good testing and adjusting later today, likely will end up turning DS off. Going to try and make it work though as I would really like to keep it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah I might try and make it work without MSSA as I don’t think it will be as significant on the Caucasus map and with high pixel density. Downtown Vegas with all the buildings certainly needs MSSA though!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Chaps... I had problems with stutter but still getting 45fps. I solved this issue by deleting the DCS.openbeta folder in saved games folder. Make sure you save your input folder 1st though and put it back after.. Worked for me and im running with DS on

Chaps... I had problems with stutter but still getting 45fps. I solved this issue by deleting the DCS.openbeta folder in saved games folder. Make sure you save your input folder 1st though and put it back after.. Worked for me and im running with DS on

Just prior to getting 2.5, I deleted all my shaders and fxo files in there to get a clean start.

I am very smooth, but would like little better fps.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I was getting pretty good FPS with DS off and PD at 1.5. With DS on I had to reduce PD to 1.2 just to get an avg ~45 fps. Overall I seemed to see less dips in FPS for either setup. This was in single player with just me flying though.

Turning PD down to 1.2 had a noticeable effect for me on cockpit clarity. So I preferred flying with DS off and PD at 1.5 with higher FPS (~60-70).

Non of the other settings seemed to have much effect on FPS. Even turning shadows off only netted +1-2 FPS.

Edited by Strong05

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

I am getting a solid 45fps at 4x MSAA with deferred shading on. Here’s the rub: pixel density 1.

It looks fantastic and performs flawlessly

This is with a 1080ti

People keep saying 45. Does that mean to say it stays at either 90 or 45 and never below? Or is it mostly around 45?

People also keep saying how DCS 2 is more demanding now and needs a beefier system, but I thought before everyone was saying that DCS would run much better when 2.5 was released and be much better optimized?

------------

I have been spending some time this morning playing around, may end up turning deferred shading off. Both in Caucases and Normandy having trouble getting used to the green hue in VR.

Don B

45 is not flawlessly, the target should be 90.

Good luck with that one.

:smilewink:

Don B

45 is not flawlessly, the target should be 90.

Yeah and to be honest I rather doubt one would be able to mix DS and MSSA together and it would perform well on many of the more intensive missions.Clear Tkvarcheli for example how well does it run on that mission? Personally unless I can get it to work well without DS I will probably be leaving it off.

------------

The performance is pretty bad on the Caucasus, I have a 2500$ rig and the max frame rate is 40-45 with an empty mission and flying at high altitude on VR. Flat shadows and no MSAA. I don't understand how Wag said that he was having 60fps all setting on Max. On NTTR I am having a constant 90 fps on fast mission.

The one thing I won't ever turn off is DS, personally it is a must have as it makes everything look so much better IMO. I would rather turn MSAA off instead.

Currently I have PD at 1.5 and most (if not all?) settings on High, DS On, MSAA at 2x, Max sliders on Visibility + Trees + Grass/Clutter, AA at 8x, Terrain Shadows at Default. This is all from memory, but I believe it's accurate. I am anywhere between 25-45+ FPS. Mostly 45 with drops down to 25 intermittently.

I don't understand how Wag said that he was having 60fps all setting on Max.

I'm with ya there :doh:

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

If you have an Nvidia card, use Profile Inspector and use MFAA instead of MSAA. Works great. Have 16x AF set in game and 2x (or 4x) MFAA. Looks great and minor FPS loss.

Hmm I did not think those Nvidia settings would work in a VR HMD...

Don B

You can't get 60fps and be using VR. You get 90 or 45. If they've made it worse in VR for this update, I'll pass.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

You can't get 60fps and be using VR. You get 90 or 45. If they've made it worse in VR for this update, I'll pass.

Sure you can, just disable ASW.

I see 50's 60's 70's...

Don B

I am anywhere between 25-45+ FPS. Mostly 45 with drops down to 25 intermittently.

I'm with ya there :doh:

Yeah but 25-45? Sure it might look good but that doesn't sound like a smooth experience to be honest!

------------

Yeah but 25-45? Sure it might look good but that doesn't sound like a smooth experience to be honest!

Depends how often the frames drop...45+ is perfectly fine, when it drops below, not so much.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Depends how often the frames drop...45+ is perfectly fine, when it drops below, not so much.

To be honest at the moment its kind of a case of 'careful what you wish for' and I'm kind of missing 1.8!

I cant use DS because of the massive performance drop (and it is for me massive), and without DS the trees are very distracting like cartoon cutouts.

I'm really hoping these issues are going to be ironed out. I don't care about DS but as things stand I kind of feel like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Anyone tell me what settings exactly within the nvidia inspector need to be changed in order to make DS acceptable?

------------

I'm getting much worse performance on Caucasus map then Nevada or Normandy.

I used to run PD at 1.8 but no have had to lower that for Caucasus'.

Tree's and Grass setting doesn't seem to change the fps for me at all.

Not sure if that has something to do with speed trees.

Turning DS off make it much better but it looks so much better with it on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To be honest at the moment its kind of a case of 'careful what you wish for' and I'm kind of missing 1.8!

I cant use DS because of the massive performance drop (and it is for me massive), and without DS the trees are very distracting like cartoon cutouts.

I'm really hoping these issues are going to be ironed out. I don't care about DS but as things stand I kind of feel like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Anyone tell me what settings exactly within the nvidia inspector need to be changed in order to make DS acceptable?

Just don't run in-game MSAA and DS together, that's what causes the FPS issue. If you're not in VR, force MFAA through NVidia Control Panel. If you are in VR, that setting doesn't impact VR visuals so leave it go and just turn MSAA off.

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

my rig: i7-6700, 1070gtx, 16gbram

oculus rift

to summarize i'm not overly impressed so far (i only fly vr, things will surely be different when flying on a single monitor).

i played with the settings for an hour now:

basic settings medium-high-ish, pixel density 1.2, msaa 4, anisotropic 8, shadows off

deferred shading on: 40ish fps with regular drops to 20ish, better sky/terrain/tree colors but unnaturally dark cockpit

deferred shading off: 60ish fps with drops to 30-40, overly bright sky/terrain, unnaturally light-green colored trees/forrests, readable cockpit

in order to maintain playable fps and a readable cockpit i dont use deferred shading. so i have to live with the overly bright and unnaturally colored world....

looking forward to recommended settings for 2.5 to optimize visuals and fps.... or turn off trees alltogether?

cheers