Best PC for DCS?

D.Va,

have you ever played DCS online ?

8GB is the BARE MINIMUM and won't get you far in DCS's everyday use.

We can argue about 16+GB yes or no, but 8GB is a bad advice, sorry to say so.

I had lots of screenshots posted here with "old" 1.5.x and it already consumed no less than 10-14GB when playing on well visited servers, and this is common knowledge, no need to argue about that 8GB, honestly, this is plain wrong.

If you give advice, do it properly :book:

I don't play online, at all, that's true.

A couple comments:

You need an additional cooler for that processor, the K models don't come with a stock heat sink anymore, I assume to save money because they expect you to OC it and use a fancy aftermarket one.

8GB is not enough for a modern computer for any purpose IMO, and we have been seeing reports of DCS 2.5 using a lot of RAM.

Optical drive: I bet you have an old PC you can pull it from.

Power supply: a fancy one could save you money in the long run if you live in an area with expensive power. Breakdown of the math here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/327742-28-80plus-bronze-silver-gold-platinum

Monitors are a tradeoff. For business desktop work I always recommend nice IPS panel monitors that are 60Hz and have excellent color fidelity at all angles. For gaming you will often see ghosting on these though because of the high pixel transition time. Gaming monitors generally use TN panels and have much faster pixel transition times even if they are only capable of 60Hz, but have lower total color gamut and can look bad at high angles (though this has improved a lot in the last few years). Most gaming monitors can do 120 or even 144Hz now though, and the difference is definitely noticeable. Monitors are also very durable and become obsolete more slowly than other components, so spending a little extra is justified. As I type this at my office I'm using a Samsung IPS monitor that I bought in 2006 that still looks fantastic.

Processors without stock coolers?! Madness!

8GB is more than sufficient for doing anything other than playing simulators, like ARMA and DCS. Windows uses 2GB and most games use 2-4GB. Widows+DCS 2.5 uses 7-9GB in my experience, but allegedly it uses a lot more if you play online.

I agree about image quality over refresh rate.

Read my DCS 2.5 Optimisation Guide (version 2.5.4):

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3828073

I don't play online, at all, that's true.

Processors without stock coolers?! Madness!

8GB is more than sufficient for doing anything other than playing simulators, like ARMA and DCS. Windows uses 2GB and most games use 2-4GB. Widows+DCS 2.5 uses 7-9GB in my experience, but allegedly it uses a lot more if you play online.

I agree about image quality over refresh rate.

OK, start at ZERO again please ;)

I am willing to share my knowöedge with you, I`d be happy top do so, but you have to erase your false assumptions.

My Chrome browser sometimes takes 6GB alone, sure..many many tabs.

8GB is the minimum in todays standards, dont be guided wrongly.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

OK, start at ZERO again please ;)

I am willing to share my knowöedge with you, I`d be happy top do so, but you have to erase your false assumptions.

My Chrome browser sometimes takes 6GB alone, sure..many many tabs.

8GB is the minimum in todays standards, dont be guided wrongly.

I don't need to know anything you think you know. I just opened 70 tabs in Internet Explorer and it only uses 1.6GB RAM, so switch off Chrome or simply close it.

I don't need to know anything you think you know. I just opened 70 tabs in Internet Explorer and it only uses 1.6GB RAM, so switch off Chrome or simply close it.

I would be interested in knowing what your experience is with 8GB of RAM. Since you have 16GB you haven't been testing the environment that you propose.

I haven't had an 8GB system in four years and would never consider recommending it to anyone. Prior to the past six months memory was so inexpensive that it would have been silly to skimp in that area.

Memory headroom does matter, regardless what you think.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Disqualified !

end of story for me, sorry

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Absolutely,

You don't need advice. We have all understood that part by now.

You need :flowers: and a :drink:

:)

Anyway... I haven't checked by myself but it was stated before that DCS uses 7-9Gb of RAM.

Ok, that should be sufficient to know that you then need more than 8Gb. Because if the application needs even just a tiny bit more RAM than what is available, you'll get some swapping and hence stuttering. Knowing that the OS and other background services are also using RAM... that's clear.

No one should buy less than 16Gb if planning to play DCS.

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

I work with research, not hardware and hardware is irrelevant. I'm chiefly a gamer and I've benchmarked games I play since 2013 and all I care about is actual, real, practical performance. Specs and artificial benchmark scores are utterly irrelevant if the theory doesn't match in-game experience and I don't adopt any advice without empirical evidence, such as the dozens of defragging-style tweaks floating around this forum, spreading by word of mouth. That’s why I intend to write guides that cut all the additional fat and simply get people the performance they want, like I want.

I didn't have any need for advice about what happens when you run out of RAM from someone with 32GB RAM anyway...

You're right that there is a lot of old an outdated information floating out there. Defrag'ing is one, manually setting swap files so it's contiguous are prime examples. With SSDs and Win10 (or 7) it's a non sequitur.

Even artificial and cinebench's of the world can be meaningless because it won't predict how much a game is optimized. But it does give you a good place to start.

But the 8MB *is* wrong. You're also correct in that Windows will make do and the programs will still work. The problem is how much performance penalty are you willing accept for it?

With only firefox open, and other sundry Windows apps like AV, SnagitEditor, OneNote clipper, my memory usage was about 4.4GB. That's the system doing nothing else after booting. Firing up DCS raised it to 5.5 or so GB. I tried it with various resolution. And firing up an instant A10 mission raised it to 9GB+.

So as you said, Windows will do what it does and DCS will work in an 8GB system. But how would it support the 9GB requirement if has 8GB hard limit?

You could us the swap pagefile since that's what its for. But even with SSDs, access to it are tenth the speed of using RAM. Don't take my word for it, you can study up on the different lanes and CPU architecture, L1, L2 caches or google for "mit cutting cust power flash memory"

So while you're swapping (that's the: Windows will do what it does to make it work part that you referenced), you're getting tenth the performance.

So if you're wondering why people are jumping all over you for making "8GB is fine, don't worry about it" this is the reason why.

There was a time when 8GB was fine for all but AutoCAD/Photoshop/Matlab's of the world. But that's no longer the case. 16GB is the safe minimum recommendation for DCS.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I work with research, not hardware and hardware is irrelevant.

Since memory is hardware, how is hardware irrelevant to this discussion? :doh:

In fact, this whole thread is about hardware. Please reference the thread title.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The PC specs (pre built) below would be my recommended minimum for DCS or for a general gaming PC, which could also handle minimum DCS VR, don't expect a lot tho, and would handle 1080p well and playable 1440p with some settings lowered.

Not the nicest looking PC, it's only 1200 usd tho, throw on a better cooler, little overclock perhaps.

ABS Battlebox Essential

Intel Core i5 8th Gen 8600K (3.60 GHz)

16 GB DDR4

1 TB HDD 240 GB SSD

Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB GDDR5

or

CLX SET AMD Ryzen 5

Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz B350 Chipset 16GB DDR4 2TB HDD 120SSD Win 10 Home 64-bitGeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

The PC specs (pre built) below would be my recommended minimum for DCS or for a general gaming PC, which could also handle minimum DCS VR, don't expect a lot tho, and would handle 1080p well and playable 1440p with some settings lowered.

Not the nicest looking PC, it's only 1200 usd tho, throw on a better cooler, little overclock perhaps.

ABS Battlebox Essential

Intel Core i5 8th Gen 8600K (3.60 GHz)

16 GB DDR4

1 TB HDD 240 GB SSD

Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB GDDR5

or

CLX SET AMD Ryzen 5

Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz B350 Chipset 16GB DDR4 2TB HDD 120SSD Win 10 Home 64-bitGeForce GTX 1060 6GB

+1 ! Those will work, with the little limitations you mentioned.

In fact, I built a B350 kit for my pal's son for Xmas, 1600x, 16GB, SSD, wow..it flies.

Add the correct GPU for your budget and need and off she flies.

The 8600k has advantages, it would be a hard pick. For DCS I may give the Intel still this "1" point more, the damn IPC. For everything else, the 1600x is a superb CPU, done it a few times, run one too in office

GRAPHICS OUTFIT Nvidia will unveil the GeForce GTX 20 series in April, according to online murmurs.

Rumours also say the 2080 will be about same performance as a 1080Ti, the 2080Ti late summer/fall is said to be the one that is 70-80% faster.

OOhhh D.Va

you do have a patronising writing skill! Not sure if you deliberately start out to offend or not but can I suggest that you tone it down please?

I am always interested in the acquisition of knowledge, but not if it comes with an unfriendly demeanour. I don't know you at all and am old and hopefully wise enough to form my own opinion if someone is full of Bull, the old adage of 'he doth protest to much' is a good yardstick when assessing a persons reaction to critique and your writing style comes dangerously close to this. Take this as you will.

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.

OOhhh D.Va

you do have a patronising writing skill! Not sure if you deliberately start out to offend or not but can I suggest that you tone it down please?

I am always interested in the acquisition of knowledge, but not if it comes with an unfriendly demeanour. I don't know you at all and am old and hopefully wise enough to form my own opinion if someone is full of Bull, the old adage of 'he doth protest to much' is a good yardstick when assessing a persons reaction to critique and your writing style comes dangerously close to this. Take this as you will.

I'm not really condescending. I'm frank. If I asked for computer advice and someone gave me advice that cost me $500, I would be angry. Wouldn't you be? For that reason, I give 100% no-nonsense answers and I don't take advice from anyone unless I can validate it for myself. Validation, that's where my opinions originate. That's why you won't see me messing about with core affinities, pagefiles, and other borderline hocus pocus and instead simply focusing on what actually works. I give advice. Follow it. Things work. If someone absolutely won’t listen to my advice, then I cannot physically stop them from spending another $500 on redundant components, but I won’t encourage it. For instance, I just booted with 8GB and 16GB: playing the same scenario I used 6.6GB and 9.9GB RAM, respectively. A-10C over Vegas. In both instances, I had identical (50 FPS) over a 30 second benchmark. Anyone care to explain this magic “making do” to me?

Because if I'm not entire mistaken, it's been a major claim from my opponents in this thread that running a 10GB RAM scenario with only 8GB of RAM should cause stuttering, which of there was none. None, I tell you.

I'm not going to claim to know how this magic works, but I can think of any number of ways a game can use less RAM that don't result in performance degradation.

Edited by D.Va

On another note, I think we are quickly approaching the point where 500gb is a minimum SSD size for single drive systems and 1Tb will be recommended build for the future, particularly if the terrain upgrades start rolling in and you want to run things other than DCS. I’d rather be in a situation where I CAN update video rather than NEED to update the SSD. I know this pushes the price a little, but I really liked the early pcpartpicker recomendation by Gladman otherwise:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NvW2QV

Edited by Cake

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

On another note, I think we are quickly approaching the point where 500gb is a minimum SSD size for single drive systems and 1Tb will be recommended build for the future, particularly if the terrain upgrades start rolling in and you want to run things other than DCS. I’d rather be in a situation where I CAN update video rather than NEED to update the SSD. I know this pushes the price a little, but I really liked the early pcpartpicker recomendation otherwise.

Yep I will be doing a new build this year, and will be going with 1TB for my gaming SSD. Currently I have a 256GB, and it is getting tight.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hardware specs are absolutely irrelevant. Too many idiots (many in this forum) jump on i7s, excessive RAM, excessive VRAM, excessive motherboards, excessive storage units, excessive power supply units, excessive cooling, and CPI-chasing mice... this can easily add up to increasing the total cost of the computer by 50-100%. Discussions about specs (cherry picked marketing jargon without any direct relationship to performance, like "Cores" and "GHz", which are artificially inflated by AMD for instance) are never as rewarding as discussions that are directly about performance: the performance a computer delivers, rather than what its specifications state it should based on the hardware that's in it. Computers are magic to laypeople and most of the target audience for custom builds are in their teens, or too old to get computers.

Only because you think you know about computer hardware doesn't mean you know about gaming performance.

Slow your roll, junior. *IT IS TRUE* that depending on the optimization of game engines, that there is a point of diminishing returns. But to make such sweeping comments is beyond bizarre. It's simply wrong.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

On another note, I think we are quickly approaching the point where 500gb is a minimum SSD size for single drive systems and 1Tb will be recommended build for the future, particularly if the terrain upgrades start rolling in and you want to run things other than DCS. I’d rather be in a situation where I CAN update video rather than NEED to update the SSD. I know this pushes the price a little, but I really liked the early pcpartpicker recomendation by Gladman otherwise:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NvW2QV

I agree about the 500GB. I'm a video game collector and aficionado and have used a 250GB drive for years, but I've had another 250GB drive for flight simulation. A "250GB" drive is in reality only 232GB and Windows uses about 25 of that, leaving only about 200GB, which of 100GB is DCS 2.5 and 100GB is the Users folder. Adding another 230GB gives you space for another 50GB for DCS "future-proofing", two AAA games (which clock in at about 50GB today), and 80GB of assorted smaller games.

Yep I will be doing a new build this year, and will be going with 1TB for my gaming SSD. Currently I have a 256GB, and it is getting tight.

Question: what happens with your 256GB drive, then? I was on 250GB for a few years and then upgraded with another 250GB drive, which is worth considering if you want to get away a lot cheaper. Drives are not normally something that you'll want to throw away (cost inefficient and comes with many security concerns), so either you go 500GB or you go 1250GB.

Personally, I'm a strong advocate of small upgrades. Sometimes, all you have to do is change your wallpaper and the computer feels perfectly fresh tongue.gif

Slow your roll, junior. *IT IS TRUE* that depending on the optimization of game engines, that there is a point of diminishing returns. But to make such sweeping comments is beyond bizarre. It's simply wrong.

I'm not talking about the "point of diminishing returns". I'm talking about zero returns. $100 extra on an i7 instead of an i5 may get you a few percent more performance (depending on the game, sometimes more, sometimes less) and it's the same (variable) with VRAM upgrades, but if you spend $100 extra each on an advanced motherboard, overhead memory, overhead storage, "Pro" SSDs, and, an excessive power supply unit you get zero returns (in gaming performance). My point is not only that this is a complete waste of money for the gamer, but also that this money could be spent instead where it matters: upgrading the graphics card to the next tier, which gives you about 20%+ gaming performance. Diminishing returns is another, also worth contemplating, matter.

Good question.

I was hoping to keep it below 2000 €.

GTX 1080 Ti is a great card and DCS will make use of it. Claiming that an i9, 64GB of RAM, a terabyte M.2 SSD are somehow "better" is nonsense.

DCS seems to want more than 16GB of RAM, but that's a bug (until ED claims otherwise).

Four cores is fine. The i3-8350K processor should be great for DCS, and won't break the bank. It's the latest generation, is very fast out of the box, and can be overclocked.

Get the very best video card you can afford, 1080 Ti is a great one, but there's absolutely no point in going ridiculously heavy on everything else just for gaming, not even for DCS World. It's just going to burn a lot of cash, it won't make anything run better.

Just some honest input.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!