Samsung Odyssey WMR HMD Initial Impressions

GCBraun

dburne! i saw your posts in the iL2 forums.. ;)

i seee you lol

Lol, I can run but can not hide!

:smilewink:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

dburne! i saw your posts in the iL2 forums.. ;)

i seee you lol

SO WHAT BLUETOOTH ADAPTER are you guys using for your Odyssey?

i ordered the one from pluggable, seems like the other forums say no issue with the one made by pluggable...

I was "fortunate" that my PC didn't come standard with WiFi/BlueTooth capability, so I had them add a PCI WiFi/BT card with an external antenna that sits on top of my cabinet.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/PCE-AC55BT-B1-Wireless-AC1200-Bluetooth-adapter/dp/B0713RRZMB/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520277205&sr=8-3&keywords=pci+wifi+bluetooth+card

I've also heard of success using USB BlueTooth dongles.

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

Man, I envy you guys so much because VR is such a distant reality for us in Brazil due to heavy taxation and our currency to USD difference... Imagine having to pay 10x this price. Yeah. I wanna out of this country.

Rants apart, I didn't know about this device until I read this topic and really got me interested on it. Thanks for sharing your reviews and experiences.

¬ wedge

Wishlist: DCS: F-16C

wedgeDCS - Modern Custom CSS themes for the Forum

Today I had the chance to have a short test of the Odyssey with DCS. I wasn`t too much impressed I have to say.

First thing was, that it was nearly impossible for me to find the sweet spot to see a clear picture. I had to move the headset all the way down to my nose to get a clear picture. That made the use of the HMD very uncomfortable.

Even then, when the picture in the middle was clear, there was only a small area of a crisp picture. Much smaller in comparison to the Rift. And yes, I tried my very best to get the IPD setting right. The picture in the center was a bit better than in the Rift, but not too much of a difference and SDE was clearly visible.

Stuttering was horrible. No comparison to the Rift with ASW enabled, which provides a smooth game play. For DCS it seems to be vital for a VR-HMD to have an adequate software, which keeps the FPS steady.

Strange thing were also those two purple dots visible (one in the middle of each screen). Maybe they have something to do with the two cameras at the front of the HMD, to show where they are pointed at, and they can be switched of in the settings? Don`t know.

I had only a few minutes for testing, maybe with some more time for trying out I would have seen a better result. But what I have seen was a bit shocking for me and I´m really glad to have the Rift!

Edited by ram0506

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

Well tune your settings your pushing Mich more pixels. Your head may just be not the right size for it. As I have no clarity issues with it. When I did back to back testing with Odyssey vs rift ya asw is nice but dear Lord the rift looks like ass compared to Odyssey. Also night operations are much more doable with the Odyssey.

At first I was going to take the Odyssey back due to no Asw but what I did was use the rift and tune the in-game settings at pd 1.7 which would allow above 45 fps on the rift and then ran it with the Odyssey at 1.5 and I'm in a great place now.

Something seems off with pd 1.0 with the Odyssey as I am thinking dcs is running at Rift resolution on the Odyssey at 1.0. Hence why I get same performance from rift at 1.7 pd and Odyssey at 1.5 pd. The reason I say this is from observing the gpu usage. Rift 1.7 and Odyssey at 1.5 have same gpu usage on my system.

Either way the image on Odyssey at 1.5 and above is so clear even the mirage is readable.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Edited by Sniper175

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

• 7 months later...

Question on setup:

I have the standalone DCS version and I hear this talk about SteamVR. Is this just then making sure you have steamVR running prior to launching DCS ?

I'm using a 1070 with 32 gigs ram - any issues with that setup ?

The talk on bluetooth - is this something else that I would need to get setup ?

Thanks in advance!

Question on setup:

I have the standalone DCS version and I hear this talk about SteamVR. Is this just then making sure you have steamVR running prior to launching DCS ?

I'm using a 1070 with 32 gigs ram - any issues with that setup ?

The talk on bluetooth - is this something else that I would need to get setup ?

Thanks in advance!

Yes you need to use SteamVR (and have the Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR thingy installed from the Steam store) - that's how the headset interfaces with DCS (either standalone or steam version), without it the headset will just display DCS as a 2D game in the Cliff House.

Should be fine.

You won't need bluetooth to play DCS - it's only used for the controllers (which you don't need to play it). You'll need a bluetooth dongle thing if you want to use the controllers in other games.

• 1 month later...

So, I bought another Odyssey today (original) and set it up. Within the WMR home app everything is clear. But when I fire up DCS the main screen is so out of focus I have to close an eye to see clear enough to click exit before I puke! Lol. I left my Rift settings the same which is, PD 1.5 and IPD (in game) 55. Again, everything is nice and clear until I get into DCS, then it's out of focus so it's not the lenses physically being out of alignment but obviously software. Any ideas on how to get it synced right?

Thanks,

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Get the bluetooth dongle, you''ll need to occasionally use the controllers to change settings in steam or sometimes to go around the cliff house and find where WMR has randomly opened up a desktop, store, instance of edge, etc. Its the desktop that gets you because your game will be mirrored there and that hurts your performance.

Crab, was the last part of your post for me?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Not specifically Wicked, I was referring to the need for having a bluetooth dongle so on the odd occasion the other fellow could use the controllers when the need comes up. One reason that came up for me was that stupid desktop window inside the WMR portal (screen mirroring) putting drag on the whole show.

I'm fairly new to this myself so I cant comment knowledgeably about your problems but I had some struggles myself which may give you some ideas of things to check. I had to set a control to center or reset view, forget which it is called in there. This is needed both to place you back where you're supposed to be in the cockpit when you inevitably loose your orientation and also it fixes some focusing issues. I had a lot of shimmering and blurriness present when I first went into the cockpit and this was largely fixed by getting my frame rate up; once I did things started looking better. This was accomplished originally by pulling back my settings fairly hard, after I read about checking the portal for an open desktop and shutting it off I went through my WMR house and sure enough, there was a desktop spawned on one of the walls which I shut off. After I did that I found I was able to turn around and add back in some of my freshly cut settings which cleaned things up some more. I would say that I do not have a clear picture in every respect. If I turn my head to look down at say, the left MFD, it's legibility is poor. If I move my head down right in front of the gauge it is clear as can be, just like seeing it in 2D. I see similar things all around me in terms of the clarity of various objects in and out of the cockpit. If I read it right this is normal, a limitation of the tech.

edit... Forgot about hannibal. You can still use the mouse to click on anything clickable just as you did before. Having the controllers out and about is not very convenient and not as easy to use as the mouse for manipulating the switches. Mine have found their way into a drawer until needed for something.

Edited by crab