Game STILL cannot handle audio output device change while game is running!!

D4n

Guys, after Windows 10 April (fools) update (which took 2-3 hours), it seems my Creative Soundblaster microphone got nearly broken by Microsoft's Win 10 update, and also noticed that DCS STILL doesn't support standard-audio-output device changing while the game is running... Please bring this in asap. (All AAA games support this)

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Guys, after Windows 10 April (fools) update (which took 2-3 hours), it seems my Creative Soundblaster microphone got nearly broken by Microsoft's Win 10 update, and also noticed that DCS STILL doesn't support standard-audio-output device changing while the game is running... Please bring this in asap. (All AAA games support this)

Sounds like it's a problem on your side, since you even state your Windows almost broke you SB.

No problems switching audio output can be done while game is running.

I have never had any issues with switching my audio devices while running DCS. Seems like an issue on your side. Please stop calling everything a bug immediately, when something isn't working for you.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I just tested it... in main menu, audio output over normal 3.5mm audio jack, then switching to HDMI output of my screen (in which my speakers are plugged in) and it FAILED. Is that what you tried too, QuiGon? HDMI?

Actually, WOW, game loading splashscreen, and windows volume mixer frozen, then DCS crash...!!

Sooo, actually, ED, it should be under "game crashes" section. Please move this thread to "game crash" section, thank you.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

My speakers are 3.5 and my headset is USB - I was able to switch from the speakers to my headset (I forgot to do it prior to game launch) by going into windows and changing output by clicking the speaker icon (windows 10) and then clicking the up carrot to display my devices and clicking the headset. Once I was alt-tabbed back in game my sound was over my headset.

I just tested it... in main menu, audio output over normal 3.5mm audio jack...

Just tried the audio output - in game seamlessly changed between Bluetooth to QC35's , 3.5mm audio jack to speakers and HDMI output to monitor's built in speakers.

If the QC35's are on, sound defaults to them, turn them off and it goes to the 3.5mm speakers, unplug them and the HDMI takes over, same priority going back in.

Maybe check your rig a bit more...

Cheers.

I never really had any issue, either. Buy I export audio to play over all devices simultaneously, so there is no 'switching' for me anyway. That said my headset is stubbornly not playing DCS audio over it now for some reason, though I can't really play right now anyway so it doesn't matter :p

I think folks forget the devices they're using can be a factor in this sort of thing also.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I just tested it... in main menu, audio output over normal 3.5mm audio jack, then switching to HDMI output of my screen (in which my speakers are plugged in) and it FAILED. Is that what you tried too, QuiGon? HDMI?

Actually, WOW, game loading splashscreen, and windows volume mixer frozen, then DCS crash...!!

Sooo, actually, ED, it should be under "game crashes" section. Please move this thread to "game crash" section, thank you.

No, I'm just switching between different 3.5 audio jack devices. Maybe you should have mentioned that in your original post...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes I should have.

I just had a session of DCS running, but put into the background for reasons. Then Windows 7 again acted up and threw around my speakers (front left coming out of rear right etc), so I had to set it down to stereo and back up to 5.1. Worked as always. Known issue, because Audio in Win7 is balls as well as the driver suites from Creative. Back to DCS to continue my flight. Nothing, complete silence. Tried to switch over to onboard + headphones attached and back. Audio is still gone. Quit DCS, start again, everything fine again.

But TBH, I haven't ran into the need of switching audio while playing often, I remember some games that coped fine with it, but also some that didn't.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 1 month later...

I could never switch audio devices with dcs for as long as I can remember. It's a real PITA. The night before I will switch to headset which is USB to keep the noise level down in my house and then the next morning I will run DCS and forget to switch to speakers after I join a server. Then of course I have to shut down DCS change the audio via windows then reboot dcs. Drives me crazy

Must be a setup thing.

I have 3 sound devices plugged in, and I can swap between them in flight.

(Though to use Bluetooth headphones last night I had to physically unplug my other USB headphones - but it was all good without exiting the mission...)

Win10 or Win7 ?

Edited by Weta43
question

Cheers.