TrackIR Forward Limitation Problem

Leaning forward with TrackIR in the F18 cockpit is for some reason limited to approximately 30 cm. It is working fine in all my other aircraft cockpits, so it's not a TrackIR setting issue.

Any idea how to fix that?

(name, file path and the needed parameter)

BiBa...............BigBang

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

I think that may be designed as is for more accurate simulation of a pilot being strapped in very securely. There is limited movement anyway if harnesses etc are properly tensioned, especially for carrier recovery.

You may want to bind "view zoom" to a hotas axis.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

I think that may be designed as is for more accurate simulation of a pilot being strapped in very securely. There is limited movement anyway if harnesses etc are properly tensioned, especially for carrier recovery...
All Straps are designed to remain loose for slow movements, and block instantly with strong acceleration. I don't see why it should be otherwise in the F18. And if it is indeed so, they ought to set the harnesses tension tied up automatically only when the Hook is activated :doh:

Pilot risks Claustrophobic Attack tied up so tight :mad:

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

It's just the field of view, if you set it to look real it's all good. Problem is your looking through a very small box 27 inch box in my case. The correct FOV depending on screen is around 75 or something, most of my default FOV's are 90ish so I need to zoom in on the controls sometimes.

I also have snap views that I use sometimes.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

It's just the field of view, if you set it to look real it's all good. Problem is your looking through a very small box 27 inch box in my case. The correct FOV depending on screen is around 75 or something, most of my default FOV's are 90ish so I need to zoom in on the controls sometimes...
Excuse me - but Field of View and Head-Panning Radius are two different things, and it’s surely not the VR-IPD (distance between eyes) we’re talking about. It’s the limited movement while panning / leaning the head forward; it stops about 30 cm before reaching the front panel, and you can see then clearly the limited position of the head in the cockpit when you yaw your head 90° sideways. In all other ten aircrafts I have, TrackIR allows you full movement of the head until it touches the front panel. It’s better than zooming for two reasons: first it’s real and not zoom-cheating & second, it’s healthy sport for the blood circulation to stay active while sitting stiff for hours in front of the monitor.

So before my pledge dissipates out of the context, I just need info on the name, file path and the needed parameter for this modification.

Thanks

Look through your control bindings and make sure nothing is stepping on your attack IR Z Axis.
That's the first thing I've checked, and as mentioned, no problem with my Z Axis in all other aircrafts.

I assume you can lean full to front panel stop with your TrackIR in F18?

In any case I still need info on the name, file path and the needed parameter for this modification.

• 3 months later...

Any idea how to fix that?

(name, file path and the needed parameter)

I fixed it on my F-18 by tuning the server.lua file ... here I wrote about it in more detail:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=187155

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

It's just the field of view, if you set it to look real it's all good. Problem is your looking through a very small box 27 inch box in my case. The correct FOV depending on screen is around 75 or something, most of my default FOV's are 90ish so I need to zoom in on the controls sometimes.

I also have snap views that I use sometimes.

How did you adjust your FOV's?

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

I fixed it on my F-18 by tuning the server.lua file ... here I wrote about it in more detail: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=187155
Thanks...

I'm following up the subject now in your thread and have put there a question for you.

• 1 year later...

It is an old thread but this is an issue. Leaning forward is very limited in f-18 as compare to other modules. I have updated my lua files it works on single player but not on multiplayer. I would request ED to update leaning forward. If you allow more authority, one does not need to use zoom.

People like me with smaller monitor (24 in). It is hard to read on some occasions and I have to zoom for central display which very hard to read when map is on.

Win10, Intel 3rd Gen. Core i7 3.8Ghz, 20GB ram, Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB Opentrack (Download it from HERE), PS3 Eye, Saitek x52-pro Joystick,

DIY Rudder Pedals,

Google Cardboard with DCS World

English is not my native language

It is an old thread but this is an issue. Leaning forward is very limited in f-18 as compare to other modules. I have updated my lua files it works on single player but not on multiplayer. I would request ED to update leaning forward. If you allow more authority, one does not need to use zoom.

People like me with smaller monitor (24 in). It is hard to read on some occasions and I have to zoom for central display which very hard to read when map is on.

Agreed, it's almost impossible to read the contacts details on the Attack Radar by leaning forward for example. I still have to have a zoom slider mapped in order to move that little bit further forward which seems a bit silly. If I map the "Zoom" function to My TrackIR to try and get around this, then the default head position is too far forward and the top of the HUD is cutoff. Yes I can lean forward, recentre the TIR view and then lean back, but that's not ideal in a dog fight for example. In terms of the amount of additional Z axis TIR movement needed to solve the issue it's not an awful lot, so it would be nice if ED could sort this or there was an IC compliant workaround. I know there are LUA edits that will fix this but they seem to break IC :cry:

Edited by zildac

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

I still use the method I linked on post 9, it works fine on the Hornet .. on this video I didnt use any zoom at all .. just head movements:

MN7ZaVUNfEw

It doesnt work on VR tough, only for 2D .. still, it is much better than stock.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks Rudel, I'll try it out

Thanks that worked a treat!! I had started to read that post just after asking the quesiton.

I changed the X from .30 to .50 and I can actually read the Attack Radar info now thumbup.gif

Edited by zildac

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

I can't use the lean forward in Trackir. I wear glasses for the computer and leaning forward makes my vision blurred. I have to use the sim zoom to look closer. I find it better because I can stay in one position in my seat and get real close if I need to.

Buzz

• 4 months later...

I use zoom also. My Warthog throttle has a slider that has a slight notch in the center of it's travel so I use that as my normal view. Moving it forward zooms me in and I can easily get back to standard by moving the lever to the notch.