VR Advice please

Hi,

I know there are tons of threads about this, but I have no idea about VR devices, the market or anything of the sort. I'll get a nice bonus in a few months, and I thought I may invest in VR.

1) I hear Oculus Rift is the bee's knees, but its resolution leaves a lot to be desired. It's lo-res, spotting planes is impossible, etc... I don't want to pay for something I'll have to change soon.

2) OK, but then what? Any worthy successor in the pipelines? Anything worth waiting for? How long? (This is not urgent, I'm happy with my TrackIR)

3) Will my Ryzen 1600x, 16G RAM and GTX1070 be able to handle that worthy successor, or should I calculate with the price of new hardware too?

Thanks in advance

Check out the dedicated VR sub thread (in this input section but a sub thread at the top). Lots of reviews I think you will find helpful.

The Vive Pro and Samsung Odyssey are the only higher res solutions out right now. Many are waiting for the PiMax 8k or next gen oculus.

I'm able to run the Odyssey with a very similar setup as you (same gpu and ram, I7 6700). I am discovering that that's not enough ram for some mp servers though.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

IMHO, if you're buying today the Odyssey is the only way to go. 5 years from now we'll hopefully look back on these bulky VR sets the same way we look back on the first cell phones when they looked like WWII field radios, but right now you just can't beat the Odyssey for resolution and lack of screen door effect.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

1) I hear Oculus Rift is the bee's knees, but its resolution leaves a lot to be desired. It's lo-res, spotting planes is impossible, etc... I don't want to pay for something I'll have to change soon.

What I did, was to purchase a used Rift CV1 .. 30% cheaper than a new one, so I can use it without feeling guilty about it being a second generation device :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

IMHO, if you're buying today the Odyssey is the only way to go. 5 years from now we'll hopefully look back on these bulky VR sets the same way we look back on the first cell phones when they looked like WWII field radios, but right now you just can't beat the Odyssey for resolution and lack of screen door effect.

Totally agree. I picked up one on sale at Microcenter for $399 and love it. Tracking is NOT an issue; ESPECIALLY in seated experiences like DCS.

You are literally getting the exact same display that the Vive Pro is using for 1/3rd the price.

i7-7700k

eVGA 1080 Ti

Win 10 Pro

Samsung Odyssey WMR

Warthog HOTAS

That's interesting, I didn't know the Odyssey was supported in DCS. Is there any downside to using this instead of the Rift?

As it relates to DCS, I don't know of *any* downside.... but not having an Oculus, I don't know if I'm missing something.

On the upside, no external sensor setup needed and the highest resolution available (1440x1600 per eye vs. 1080x1200 per eye on the Oculus).

i7-7700k

eVGA 1080 Ti

Win 10 Pro

Samsung Odyssey WMR

Warthog HOTAS

That's interesting, I didn't know the Odyssey was supported in DCS. Is there any downside to using this instead of the Rift?

Hi Mango and Reflcted,

I have both the rift and the Odyssey. Odyssey overall is better than the rift with most games. However, when it comes to DCS there is a lot going on in differences and pros and cons. At least for me, there is.

1. Oddesey has better resolution, brighter colors and better blacks. You can see much further and a lot less Screen Door Effect(SDE) caused by pixelation. You will hear that a lot. And you can see a bit father and pick out things a bit father too. But most of all is the FOV(field of View). The Odyssey has 10 degrees more than the rift. And to me, it makes a huge difference.

2. The first downside is that you need a beefy rig to run the Odessey to get good results. I have a 1080TI and I think anything less then that would struggle. The rift is much less demanding.

3. Next con of the Oddesy vs the Rift is realism. Even though it has better resolution and colors, for some reason the DCS graphics in the rift seem more realistic. For instance, when say I am 100 ft off the deck, in the Rift I feel like that objects and buildings really seem like they are 100 feet below me. In Odessey at 100 ft I sometimes feel like I am only 10 feet off the ground and buildings almost seem like someone placed a bunch of shoe boxes on the ground to represent the building. It's very odd.:confused:

4. Last con for the Odyssey is the smoothness. When I move the aircraft suddenly, pitching up or down or rolling, the graphics get a slight blurriness. Nothing game breaking, but I do notice it and I wish it didn't do it. Moving my head around there are no issues. Just when the plane moves suddenly. The Rift, on the other hand, is super smooth on any movement. I have a feeling the Odessy issue has to do with the inside out tracking.

One final thing. DCS member Kegetys has made a GREAT mod which has really increased VR performance. It's huge! The only con I can think of for it is that it breaks multiplayer integrity checks. But I think some of the guys have figured out a workaround for this. Anyways, I would say it is a must for most VR users.

Hope this helps :)

Link for the mod:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215373

Oh and I forgot, whatever one you get you will be blown away. I will never go back to 2d. :D

Edited by walleye62

Thank you for all your inputs!

So Odyssey has performance issues, Oculus Runs smoothly but it doesn't look that great, is that it?

And if I wait for Oculus 2 (possibly years) I'll definitely need a new PC? That doesn't sound too good.

Pretty much. But That's me. The other guys may have different experiences. Anyways, like I said, the performance issue with the Odessey is not a huge deal.

I think if the Rift had the 10 extra degrees of FOV I would use it all the time. That's how much I feel FOV is a game changer (can't wait for the pimax...haha). Since I can max out all settings with the Rift(because of the 1080TI) and really crank up the supersampling it's actually pretty nice. I have no problem seeing most all of the wording on everything in the cockpit. Only on the REALLY small stuff do I need to zoom in or lean in.

I guess in the end it's what's important to you. But, like I said before you will be blown away with either one you get. ;)

Edited by walleye62

I love my Rift and would not swap it for anything, at least not today.

But, I use it for the overall experience, combat flight sims, and other games - many Oculus games.

For me it is the best overall VR experience and I absolutely love it. The Touch Controllers are fantastic and a lot of fun in Touch supported games, plus now DCS also has support somewhat for the Touch Controllers in manipulating cockpit switches which is kind of cool, but limited in how one can use them.

I have no shame, I am a big fan of Oculus and am currently hanging my hat on them. For me the immersion far outweighs the lower resolution, and I am so much looking forward to their true next generation headset. And I use mine daily for the most part, many hours a week.

Yes the Odyssey and the Vive Pro have a little better resolution, but understand it is still not what one can get with a good monitor. IF you think you will only play flight sim and do nothing else with VR, then probably the Odyssey might make the best sense today. But if you think you might be interested in the full VR experience and other games, the Rift is a tough one to beat currently.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yes! that's another consideration to take in. I thought I would just do Flight sims when I got the Rift, but the other VR games are a blast too! And the Rift touch controllers are awesome!. Odyssey's kind of suck...however, I hear they are better than the vives. But anyway it's a toss-up for me when it comes to saying what the best is overall. They both give you access to great VR games.

Whelp... for the record, I too play all the primary VR games besides DCS (Robo Recall, Beat Saber, Superhot, Arizona Sunshine, Racket, etc.) and the Odyssey controllers work great. I very rarely lose tracking.

And as far as the "Odyssey having performance issues".... that's not quite accurate. If by performance issues one means you need more power to drive it because the resolution is so much higher... than yes. It has performance issues.

But then so does a 4k monitor have performance issues versus a 1080p monitor if that's how one defines it.

i7-7700k

eVGA 1080 Ti

Win 10 Pro

Samsung Odyssey WMR

Warthog HOTAS

Whelp... for the record, I too play all the primary VR games besides DCS (Robo Recall, Beat Saber, Superhot, Arizona Sunshine, Racket, etc.) and the Odyssey controllers work great. I very rarely lose tracking.

And as far as the "Odyssey having performance issues".... that's not quite accurate. If by performance issues one means you need more power to drive it because the resolution is so much higher... than yes. It has performance issues.

But then so does a 4k monitor have performance issues versus a 1080p monitor if that's how one defines it.

I am not saying all Odyssey users have that issue. As I mentioned, other odyssey users experience might be different. I just said "I" have them and it might be caused by inside-out tracking, but I haven't yet been able to pinpoint it. :dunno:

And as for the controllers I should have been a little more clear. I don't have any issues with the tracking. I just don't like the design/ergonomics of them. And if you have experienced the rift touch controllers you can tell they are of a better quality. And the Odyssey controllers batteries drain much quicker than the touch controllers too. Don't get me wrong though. I think theOddeseyy is awesome, but it does have its issues too.

If you don't really need something right now, I'd wait. I expect there will be some major announcements about new hardware from Oculus and probably others, coming out before the holidays.

That's a good point. And as I remember last year a lot of the HMDs had big sales during the holidays.

Edited by walleye62

I guess I'll wait, then. If they announce something new, it may push the Rift prices down. I exclusively play flight sims, though. I definitely cannot afford a VR kit, plus a new GPU. That leaves me with Rift being the only choice, doesn't it?

Is there any way for me to check how "bad" that resolution is without actually using one?

Don’t wait. Get into VR and you’ll be amazed. If you wait, you won’t have VR and will have to pay more for the new headset and the PC and GPU to run it.

The resolution is nowhere near as bad as the bedwetters make out. I don’t even notice the Screen door in the rift. The rift touch controls are amazing and games like Onward are incredible.

With flight sims it’s like being in a military grade simulator and you can do it today! It’s like a wet dream.

Edited by BigDuke6ixx

I'm just afraid of instrument readability, that some people reported to be unsatisfactory. How bad is it? (I currently play in 1080p)

It’s fine and you can use VR zoom to get a close look. Again, just ignore the bedwetters. I can fight the A10C without compromise in VR.

grab the Rift and you are good to go...:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Thanks! So Rift is as good as it will get for me with this PC in the foreseeable future. I think I'll pull the trigger, thanks for your input.

Is there anything that will be disappointing compared to 1080p + Track IR, or is it definitely a step up?

Just the lower res at first, which your brain will quickly adjust to as it’s the same information it was getting from your monitor.

Everything else will simply amaze you. You’ll probably just sit in the cockpit for an hour or so in awe at the scale and feeling of immersion.

Don’t wait. Get into VR and you’ll be amazed. If you wait, you won’t have VR and will have to pay more for the new headset and the PC and GPU to run it.

The resolution is nowhere near as bad as the bedwetters make out. I don’t even notice the Screen door in the rift. The rift touch controls are amazing and games like Onward are incredible.

With flight sims it’s like being in a military grade simulator and you can do it today! It’s like a wet dream.

Agree fully!

Why wait when you can get a Rift now and begin to experience the amazing immersion right away?

I will tell you when I got my Rift I struggled with this same thing, thinking it best to wait based on some reports I was seeing. So very glad I did not, and I paid full original price at that time.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|