Cougar mfds in vr for the hornet(and the in the future the f16)

Rakamora

Very useful, I use mine a lot in VR and with no issues.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

I'm planning for a pair...as well as a UFC entry-pad of some sort . No blind keyboard skills here :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Do u have a rig or do you fly at the desktop ? If i get the cougars i cant figure out how to set them up without moving around on the desktop.

I have an Obutto.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

U fly in vr?

First flight tonight---Holy Oculus !!

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Tried temporarily mounting my old Cougar MFDs to my mobile "pit" with velcro. Kind of cool, but you still use the mouse so much for clicking on other switches in the cockpit, that I found switching between that and feeling for buttons on the MFD to be pretty clunky. Good thing the velcro strips come off fairly easily. If you're new to VR and have been using your Cougar MFDs regularly though, you might have better results than I did due to muscle memory. Give the velcro thing a try and see how you like it. It cleans up easily and doesn't require any permanent modifications to anything if you decide it isn't for you.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I use the mfds for the harier in vr, reduces the amount of mouse grabbing, i can see them down the nose gap in the occulus, so as long as they are 90% in matching position in the game it’s fine (i think the harrier mfd proportions are slightly different from the f16/ cougar.) However, if i’m using the mfd in combination with the ufc it makes more sense to just use the mouse for both...i imagine once we have reliable point and click in VR i’ll not use the cougar MFDs again

Okey so u mean mount velcro straps at the desk and bottom of the mfds?

I still have a 24-inch touchscreen monitor mounted on an upside-down "ceiling mount" made for TVs that is attached to the floor of my mobile "pit". Before VR, I used that in combination with Helios for my instrument panel. Since VR it hasn't been turned on, but its still there, so I just cut 6 small chunks of thin velcro and stuck them to 3 corners of each MFD. Then I stuck the other side of the velcro chunks to the upper corners of the monitor (on the frame only, so I wouldn't damage the touchscreen). Its a good, strong, temporary way to mount stuff when you're experimenting and not sure something is going to work.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

They are a great addition, I use 3 with my joystick and Buddy-Fox UFC.

I bought a Vipirl joystick desk mount and with some aluminium L-brackets, attached them to the vertical post.

The 3rd MFD and the UFC took some imagination, but finally worked it out

20181125_124353.thumb.jpg.17c3634bf0497d51f3ab8d072c2cf4e0.jpg

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Very nice layout! Do u fumble around alot finding the right ddi buttons or is it easy when muscle memory has kicked in?

I placed a small square of hook-side vecro on buttons 3, 8, 13, 18. Greatly enhances ability to locate desired button by touch.

I have a similar solution, small rounded silicone adhesive pads for the center buttons of each row.

If you look closely to the attache picture, you will notice that both upper MFDs got the pads, meanwhile I haven´t bought them for the lower AMPCD yet.

The adhevise pads are quite visible with the LED lightning bakcground.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Some pics with the UFC module attached

1765086654_20190128_0908311.thumb.jpg.6977e1a13520ce9d42f97386ac2189dc.jpg

705967916_20190128_0908541.thumb.jpg.80b3e7bc9ce4ea718dc280d42950cfa8.jpg

I use mine quite a bit in VR. Still very useful.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Are you guys making any attempt to align/calibrate these with your VR cockpits?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I was just thinking of that this morning . Wondering if i could hold a rift controller , extend my index finger , and touch a UFC or MFD button in-cockpit , then move physical unit to match .

Are you guys making any attempt to align/calibrate these with your VR cockpits?

do you mean putting the items at the exact place like in the real cockpit? I would like to, but I don´t know how to do it.

There is a factor called "IPD" within DCS that changes the scale of the world, so what you see may be deceiving.

At least, when I fly the A-10, I try to match the joy and throtlle position and size with my HOTAS.

The Rift seems to report your IPD to DCS , so "force ipd " unchecked should result in a scale cockpit . I moved my throttle today to match the in-cockpit one , and found it to be very helpful , as well as being more immersive .

I have a set of cougar mfd's that I've been neglecting rigging to my obutto.. but from the times I have used them, I feel like if I mounted them somewhat close to proportionate for what I'm seeing in VR they'd be awesome. I want an F/A-18C UFC to go between them frankly 0.o

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I have a set of cougar mfd's that I've been neglecting rigging to my obutto.. but from the times I have used them, I feel like if I mounted them somewhat close to proportionate for what I'm seeing in VR they'd be awesome. I want an F/A-18C UFC to go between them frankly 0.o

Yeah , i'm thinking of fabbing a button box to rough dimension . Number pad , window select , and course/ heading switches would do it . But first i have to figure out how to center-mount a desktop joystick !