Rubber band nose

TheKrayTwin

Why does the mig-21's nose wonder around after stick input in level flight? It's like the nose is attached to rubber bands? Surely with all the air running over them set back wings it should fly as straight as an arrow?

-----------------------------------------------------

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why does the mig-21's nose wonder around after stick input in level flight? It's like the nose is attached to rubber bands? Surely with all the air running over them set back wings it should fly as straight as an arrow?

It behaves llike that, nothing wierd at all. If you want to fly a airplane that fly "straigh" after your rudder inputs you would go for f-18, Mirage, or perhaps viggen with a better flightcomputer and stabalising system. Or another wing design.

Have you any curves on your stick? I find that helps a bit in making better inputs in the Mig-21!

It is weird, it shouldn't do that at speed with it's aerodynamics, it should pretty quickly self centre not wonder around like it's a bobbing head. And I'm aware of other aircrafts and their flight stabilisations systems.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is weird, it shouldn't do that at speed with it's aerodynamics, it should pretty quickly self centre not wonder around like it's a bobbing head. And I'm aware of other aircrafts and their flight stabilisations systems.

I think accually it should behave like that. Areodynamics is not why it flies like that, it has to do with stabillity and the flight dynamics.

Edited by hovring

Inertia vs manual stabilization, if you want your nose to be on rails fly a smaller plane use smoother inputs or fly a plane with FBW stabilization and dampening like mentioned above. If you want more artificial stability use stabilization mode of SAU, doesn’t work on rudder though. I might use it for the attitude hold but the extreme dampening stops me from being precise, end up with pilot induced oscillation from correcting too much for example a gun shot

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

I don't want the mig-21 to be on rails, that wouldn't be very realistic would it.. I just don't think the nose should have more movement energy than what energy I put into the stick. It takes ages for the nose to settle just from a slight pull back on the stick at level flight. It never did this in the older flight model.

Edited by TheKrayTwin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't want the mig-21 to be on rails, that wouldn't be very realistic would it.. I just don't think the nose should have more movement energy than what energy I put into the stick. It takes ages for the nose to settle just from a slight pull back on the stick at level flight. It never did this in the older flight model.

What stick do you use?

ППС  АВТ 100 60 36  Ф <  |  >  !  ПД  К

i5-10600k/32GB 3600/SSD NVME/4070ti/2560x1440'32/VPC T-50 VPC T-50CM3 throttle Saitek combat rudder

I can confirm the report from OP. It does feel weird and unnatural.

And if you don't believe it, just watch the full video.

Your timestamp is wrong, this talk is about the earlier model F-13.

This is the talk for the Bis

and he also comments for unstable Pitch and Yaw movement in which the stabilizer was used to easier the control.

"These are not the bugs you are looking for..":pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My YouTube channel

SPECS

-AMD FX8370 8 Core Processor 4.2 ghz

-GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P

-GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4g

-16 GB RAM

-Saitek X 52

-FaceNOIRtrack - 3 point clip Red Led

The more I read you guys talking about the Mig-21, the more I want to buy it. Damn I love older aircraft with challenge to fly.

After making the error of watching the videos linked here, I spent hours watching Mig-21 content on youtube !

The more I read you guys talking about the Mig-21, the more I want to buy it. Damn I love older aircraft with challenge to fly.

After making the error of watching the videos linked here, I spent hours watching Mig-21 content on youtube !

Mig-21 itself is a beautiful aircraft. I just hope they fix the bobblehead effect in this modules flight model.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog, no extension but use curves

Its travel is extremely short for the mig, think about an extension. :(

ППС  АВТ 100 60 36  Ф <  |  >  !  ПД  К

i5-10600k/32GB 3600/SSD NVME/4070ti/2560x1440'32/VPC T-50 VPC T-50CM3 throttle Saitek combat rudder

Mig-21 itself is a beautiful aircraft. I just hope they fix the bobblehead effect in this modules flight model.
If the real deal is like that I expect they don't touch a thing :lol:.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

It's a must have aircraft in DCS. A classic beauty!:)

I just did a couple of large circuits in this classic, after many hours in the Mirage Red flag. campaign and the Hornet, doing case traps. The satisfaction in flying the Mig well, is sublime! :thumbup:

I think because you have to learn it properly to fly and fight it, it's a complete challenge. I know the M2k has had flight model input from the French Air Force, so that little gem is as real as you can get. But the Mig has that special feeling of satisfaction, when you fly it well. When you fly it badly it will bite you very severely.

I just wish they would do an English Electric Lightning! Imagine a match up with those cold war beauties!:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Strange rubber-banding in flight feels very odd . Also campaign i cant complete seems a bug in mission 4 . No cockpit ``just the F10 map no F1 .

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Ahhh yes,the old DCS 'See Saw' module !......doh.gif

I'm not sure if the DCS module has the true representation of the fight characteristics of a real Mig 21,or,if my workaround is true to life,in getting the MiG to fly parallel,but I have found,if you keep your elevator parallel with the centreline of the fuselarge......ie resist using Pitch trim,she'll not see saw,period.

In short you have to man handle the bitch to behave.....you have to pull her up,and you have to push her down.

The aircraft needs to be kept as straight in trim as possible....the very input of Pitch trim,ie having the elevator's at an angle,seems to set this phenomena off.

I also use an extension with my TM Warthog,for those interested.......anyway try it,and see if this helps you.

Edited by Basco1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

I noticed the Mig-15 does this too but to a much smaller extent. So I'm expecting the Mig-19 to be somewhere in the middle.

Otherwise: 1) Turn on the stabilization. 2) Keep it trimmed all the time so you don't have much, if any, pressure on the stick while trying to fly straight. High speed, takeoff, landing, whatever. Constant trimming. This is also a trick in other planes for refueling. 3) Fly it A LOT.

I'll try stability on see what happens . But I don't remember it being this bad . Before 2.5 .

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .