HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

I'm running a rift at PD 2.0 and its stable and smooth at 45 for me.

well yes the cpu overhead with oculus software is top. WMR it is not as good cpu side of the house. I constantly change between cv1 and 0+. Plus oculus has a much better ASW software side of house especially with recent updates.:pilotfly:

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

well yes the cpu overhead with oculus software is top. WMR it is not as good cpu side of the house. I constantly change between cv1 and 0+. Plus oculus has a much better ASW software side of house especially with recent updates.:pilotfly:

I'll take your word for it. And as point on the math, you'd need to be able to run PD ~1.4 ish on an O+ to run the HP at a native resolution. So I still think its in the realm of reality, especially with the performance improvement.

How "bad" is the WMR ASW?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I'll take your word for it. And as point on the math, you'd need to be able to run PD ~1.4 ish on an O+ to run the HP at a native resolution. So I still think its in the realm of reality, especially with the performance improvement.

How "bad" is the WMR ASW?

it works but it has its quirks and seems to reduce overall performance when enabled. Its much more stuttery compared to ASW on Oculus when experiencing a lower fps below 45 that happens in dcs often for one reason or another

Yea the new release date was may 8, today. They probably didn't have a lot of stock anyway.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Which motherboard you running with your kit.

Asrock Z390pro4

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Now HP customer service is saying they were launched today but are already sold out in a couple hours.

I was refreshing the website every 10 minutes, I had a alarm set every 10 mins to remind me while working all day online, and I didn't miss a single try. When the website went from "Notify me" to " Shop now", it was within about a 6 minute gap, that was the longest possible time I could have been absent from their website, and it was more than likely half that or less, and it was showing "out of stock". That and I never got an email from their "Notify me" signup, which I did with several different email addresses.

All the talk on Reddit is that the Reverb switched from "Notify Me/not available", to "Shop now/out of stock" pretty much instantly. I can't confirm that nobody got to order one from HP or Bestbuy, but I sure didn't miss the release by more than a few minutes, and it was sold out from both options, as well as Amazon...

Edited by Gman109

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I think it's a BS launch IMO - I was refreshing the website every 10 minutes, I had a alarm set every 10 mins to remind me while working all day online, and I didn't miss a single try. When the website went from "Notify me" to " Shop now", it was within about a 6 minute gap, that was the longest possible time I could have been absent from their website, and it was more than likely half that or less, and it was showing "out of stock". That and I never got an email from their "Notify me" signup, which I did with several different email addresses. So, IMO, they just "released" the Reverb, without releasing it. At least until I talk to someone, or see a post, where someone actually ordered one.

It's either that or they all sold out within just a few minutes, with others doing the same as I was, and who were just a couple minutes faster in catching the release than I was.

Never rely on the email me notifications. They have never ever worked in time for any other product I've tried to use them for when dealing with online purchases. Chances are they didn't have enough stock and were not anticipating a large consumer interest. I'm sure it will be back I stock in week.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Never rely on the email me notifications. They have never ever worked in time for any other product I've tried to use them for when dealing with online purchases. Chances are they didn't have enough stock and were not anticipating a large consumer interest. I'm sure it will be back I stock in week.

Obviously I didn't rely on the email notification, hence the refreshing of their website, as well as Bestbuy and Amazon, every 10 minutes (or less) today. All options switched from not available to out of stock within that time frame, and I can't find a single mention in 1/2 dozen forums plus Reddit of anyone seeing it in stock for order either. With no preordering options, that means IF it was available today, which I have doubts, but no proof - it sold out in a few minutes from 3 sources, all from others doing the exact same thing I was, checking every few minutes. I somehow doubt that, which IMO means HP just wasn't ready to release it, but doesn't want to look bad after missing the May 6th release. I don't have a problem with that, I'd rather have them sort out any issues they have, but doing a "fake" release, if that's what today in fact was, is pretty lame, instead of just being honest and saying it isn't ready to ship yet for xyz reasons, and that they need to push the date (again). That looks better than this, way better.

Also - there are/were numerous Ebay adds for people selling their Index pre orders this week for profit. There isn't a single add for HP Reverb buyers doing the same, something that ALWAYS happens with hard to get and much anticipated PC gaming units like this, up charging ridiculous amounts over retail in almost every case. This is another thing that makes me believe that HP did a fake release today for the Reverb.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Valve-Index-VR-Headset-2-Controllers-2-Lighthouse-Sensors-and-Virtual-Link/192906442058?hash=item2cea1eb54a:g:vBcAAOSw5eBczKaS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Valve-Index-VR-Headset-2-Controllers-2-Lighthouse-Sensors-and-Virtual-Link/392289528371?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131227121020%26meid%3D2182076cc4c7499fa45b4a1d42741ee5%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D192906442058%26itm%3D392289528371&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

Edited by Gman109

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Wow... 1500+ for a pre-order hold... Jeebus... I mean I like having new toys and all, but there aren't even any good reviews for the index yet.

We have to wait to see how it works on DCS.

Mat told us ED is optimizing the engine to give us 50% performance improvement.

Some of the people playing DCS with 5K+ still use super sampling.

5K+ has a 1440p vertical resolution, like Rift S.

With Reverb we can hope to have good enough native resolution (no need of super sampling).

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Here is another cockpit detail screen for the reverb but I wouldn't put all faith into this. My odyssey looks similar in DCS for some models.

https://i.redd.it/u5njn44qo1x21.jpg

I don't know who would buy a stupid preorder. If you don't have a Vive or Vive pro buying the index would be the most expensive option.

Here is another cockpit detail screen for the reverb but I wouldn't put all faith into this. My odyssey looks similar in DCS for some models.

I don't know who would buy a stupid preorder. If you don't have a Vive or Vive pro buying the index would be the most expensive option.

I know it's ridiculous, but some do it, one of those ebay links has 3 bids already. My point isn't about the Ebay Index links, it's about the lack of the same for the Reverb, which would 100% of popped up if anyone had gotten an order in, as this always, always happens in my experience, with every HMD so far, when there is a lag in easy ordering/access, right from day 1.

I'm in no major rush, I've owned every DCS optimal HMD out there pretty much, 3 Rifts, 3 Vives, 3 Vive Pro, 3 Odyssey, 2 Odyssey+, and one Pimax5k. I can wait for the Index and Reverb, but HP still shouldn't be pulling BS stunts like this.

Systems

I know it's ridiculous, but some do it, one of those ebay links has 3 bids already. My point isn't about the Ebay Index links, it's about the lack of the same for the Reverb, which would 100% of popped up if anyone had gotten an order in, as this always, always happens in my experience, with every HMD so far, when there is a lag in easy ordering/access, right from day 1.

I'm in no major rush, I've owned every DCS optimal HMD out there pretty much, 3 Rifts, 3 Vives, 3 Vive Pro, 3 Odyssey, 2 Odyssey+, and one Pimax5k. I can wait for the Index and Reverb, but HP still shouldn't be pulling BS stunts like this.

You know it's completely possible they are selling the pro version of the headset first. This model MS, Best buy, and stores won't get first. As they are targeting businesses. It's possible that businesses already bought up all their stock through an internal Business to business invoice system that many companies use today. So that could explain why the website didnt show anything. I don't think they care about targeting consumers right away.

Nice though it is to see screenshots like this, what we really need is someone with a time machine to jump forward 9 months, take the same DCS cockpit shot through the lens of Rift S, Index, Reverb, Vive Cosmos, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, Odyssey+, Dell Visor / Lenovo Explorer and show them all side-by-side so that we can actually see what the differences are.... :)

Can I ask why 3? Did they break?

You know it's completely possible they are selling the pro version of the headset first. This model MS, Best buy, and stores won't get first. As they are targeting businesses. It's possible that businesses already bought up all their stock through an internal Business to business invoice system that many companies use today. So that could explain why the website didnt show anything. I don't think they care about targeting consumers right away.

The upside to that is that it gives them time to get the bugs out. I.e. that Mura issue or other software fixable stuff.

The upside to that is that it gives them time to get the bugs out. I.e. that Mura issue or other software fixable stuff.
Yea I'm not buying it until I hear from people that actually used the headset in DCS. $3-400 ok I'll buy on impulse and try it myself but since I already own an odyssey I dont feel the requirement to do this for the rift S.

Since the reverb is $600+ tax I'd rather wait to hear impressions before sinking money on it just to have it quickly.

Can I ask why 3? Did they break?

3 gaming PCs is why - got tired of having the missus and nephew and niece all whining for me to get off my PC so they could use it a couple years ago, so I continually build 3 new ones now to keep the infighting over use time down.

Systems

I really had high hopes for this thing, but it is looking more and more like vapourware.

I’ve pre-ordered the Rift S on Amazon, which should ship on May 21. I can cancel up to then, and I then have 30 days after I get it to return if need be. Therefore, if the Reverb shows up before late June, I should still be able to return the Rift. Maybe I’ll even order both and return one after trying them.

At least this way, if the Rift goes into back order I’m at the front end. Still hoping for the Reverb to materialize, but the reviews on the Rift display are good...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Bam!

Sebastian Ang/Mixed reality TV have some other great shots of the Reverb through XP11, and some driving and one of those medieval walk around 3rd person deal games. It looks good so far, although I too would like to see some more detailed DCS pics and vids. He's a reviewer, and has a Reverb for a day already, not a retail customer.

Systems

What we need is a report of it in motion inside dcs flying low above trees. Could care less about crappy phone pics that don’t reflect at all what a human eye sees in the details. We already know the image quality is great, performance and motion in dcs is what I need to know.

Bam!

Can't rely on through the lens shots such as this and the one earlier on Twitter. I'm already getting far clearer instrumentation resolution through the Rift.

So looking at those and drawing conclusions is pointless.

Similarly, the latter showed a small sweet spot with image quickly blurring towards the edges. This is a function of the distance of the camera from the lens, which I would bet is a lot further away than your pupils would be.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.