HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Does anyone know how to force 60 Hz instead of 90 Hz SteamVR? By magic, I guess mine ended up on 60Hz about a week ago. That gave me high FPS in the 70-90s. Now, I've probably touched something and it's back in the 40-50s... Not bad but I'd rather have the high ones. Only thing I know I've changed is the DCS resolution from 1024x768 to the highest.

Anyone?

In windows wmr settings you can select 60 or 90 and it will apply it I believe.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Does anyone know how to force 60 Hz instead of 90 Hz SteamVR? By magic, I guess mine ended up on 60Hz about a week ago. That gave me high FPS in the 70-90s. Now, I've probably touched something and it's back in the 40-50s... Not bad but I'd rather have the high ones. Only thing I know I've changed is the DCS resolution from 1024x768 to the highest.

Anyone?

I'm only aware of how to change it in WMR, which had a clear impact for me.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/121081-change-refresh-rate-mixed-reality-headset-experience-windows-10-a.html

A small pie is soon eaten

SteamVR guesses what your configuration can handle and often guesses wrong. If I see it set to 60 Hz I usually end up rebooting (starting and stopping SteamVR doesn't do it as it seems to take a snapshot of your config as it boots) to get it on 90hz even though WMR is always set to 90 Hz. I can tell when it is in 60 Hz (its a bit funky and I turn on the DCS FPS. With reprojection it is at 30 instead of 45) and 90 is better.

If you look at support for SteamVR on Steam it has a lot of problems on other headsets. It has a lot of updates and if I am in a DCS/VR session as an update comes in it has crashed because of the updating process (not the update itself). I was told it used to be a lot worse.

Anyone?

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Read my last posts. I had some time to test the long cable and identify the problems. I have it well isolated now and everything works well like that. It is not enough to zip tie the connector. I had to clamp it with two flat solid supports and a plastic clamp so that no movement is possible. Same with the USB plug at the PC. Just the weight of the cable messes it up as you suggest it must be supported.

After trying the Valve Index the Reverb is the best option for DCS IMO now. The Acer Ojo ConceptD may change that by the end of the year since it has the IPD adjustment that some may need but is otherwise the same as the Reverb. It will likely have new product issues as well. They all did.

:thumbup:

Oh no - another update. lol I have my entire system cloned now so I can fall back.

Just a quicks heads up if you have not updated your Drivers lately. Looked at Reverb drivers and found a new one that it has just installed.

I hope its not part of the dreaded 1903 update....

will report back.

EDIT: Just jumped into the F14 cockpit and the instruments are as readable as before, if not very slightly crisper. Just done a 2 hour mission and I'm a little hot and sweaty, so don't yet know what has changed. Don't want to wear the headset again for half an hour or so.

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Thanks guys! The thing was that in WMR it was set to 90Hz (60HZ gives me bad Visuals) but SteamVR was stuck at 60Hz. That gave really good FPS. There's no option as far as I can see to change this in SteamVR.

Just a quicks heads up if you have not updated your Drivers lately. Looked at Reverb drivers and found a new one that it has just installed.

I hope its not part of the dreaded 1903 update....

will report back.

EDIT: Just jumped into the F14 cockpit and the instruments are as readable as before, if not very slightly crisper. Just done a 2 hour mission and I'm a little hot and sweaty, so don't yet know what has changed. Don't want to wear the headset again for half an hour or so.

Were you having the usual raft of problems prior to this update? Regular disconnects, flickering displays etc?

I just spoke to HP Support now maybe my fifth or sixth time. In addition to the cable errors most have seen and I have listed above they let me know that the SteamVR errors including the one I listed are software related (nothing to do with a Reverb problem) and there is an update from Steam coming soon targeting those. They include some PC freezing up and SteamVR errors affecting the monitor display as well (like a green screen or black screen but on the monitor).

I read that the Vive Pro had nearly the very same problems when it first came out until SteamVR made some device specific updates for it. I wonder if the 60 Hz/90 Hz switching is also related because SteamVR is updating their device specific code for the Reverb.

Basically, the device is still being tweaked. I guess the Microsoft update to WMR will come out soon as well hitting the high-res WMR headsets.

Anyone else have a Reverb with the issues who is keeping it anyways? (still trying to make up my mind) I am leaning towards a full refund with the two month delay again and hooked up the Lenovo Explorer (1440 x 1440) a while ago. :cry: I did a Case I carrier landing in the F-18 and I can't even see the carrier with the SDE at the very beginning. It is pathetic next to the clear Reverb. For me the Ultra-clear sweet spot on the Reverb is maybe 85% of the entire FOV and what isn't very clear is not too bad. On the Lenovo I am estimating the sweet spot of the FOV at maybe 65% but it gets very unclear approaching the edges.

In two months the Acer Ojo ConceptD could be released or a fixed Reverb will be available. :thumbup:

The early Acer pictures actually make it appear to be well built or it could have as many "new" problems as the Reverb did. Maybe heavy? While Acer put release dates on most of their ConceptD products (June - September 2019) they left it off of the VR headset and the unit was a prototype only at CES driven by a smart phone. It could be quite a while.

Update: I called Acer USA and got the commercial side Sales. They say the Ojo ConceptD VR is already released on the commercial side but not on the consumer side. In fact, the guy I spoke with said he demo'd it about two months ago. They gave me the consumer product sales side number which I called and they said there was no official release date set yet on the consumer side for the VR headset.

3PAKPzC.jpg

Edited by Secoda

Has anyone heard any word on the WMR update to fix the resolution limiting bug from the 1903 update?

I just spoke to HP Support now maybe my fifth or sixth time. In addition to the cable errors most have seen and I have listed above they let me know that the SteamVR errors including the one I listed are software related (nothing to do with a Reverb problem) and there is an update from Steam coming soon targeting those. They include some PC freezing up and SteamVR errors affecting the monitor display as well (like a green screen or black screen but on the monitor).

I read that the Vive Pro had nearly the very same problems when it first came out until SteamVR made some device specific updates for it. I wonder if the 60 Hz/90 Hz switching is also related because SteamVR is updating their device specific code for the Reverb.

Basically, the device is still being tweaked. I guess the Microsoft update to WMR will come out soon as well hitting the high-res WMR headsets.

Anyone else have a Reverb with the issues who is keeping it anyways? (still trying to make up my mind) I am leaning towards a full refund with the two month delay again and hooked up the Lenovo Explorer (1440 x 1440) a while ago. :cry: I did a Case I carrier landing in the F-18 and I can't even see the carrier with the SDE at the very beginning. It is pathetic next to the clear Reverb. For me the Ultra-clear sweet spot on the Reverb is maybe 85% of the entire FOV and what isn't very clear is not too bad. On the Lenovo I am estimating the sweet spot of the FOV at maybe 65% but it gets very unclear approaching the edges.

In two months the Acer Ojo ConceptD could be released or a fixed Reverb will be available. :thumbup:

The early Acer pictures actually make it appear to be well built or it could have as many "new" problems as the Reverb did. Maybe heavy? While Acer put release dates on most of their ConceptD products (June - September 2019) they left it off of the VR headset and the unit was a prototype only at CES driven by a smart phone. It could be quite a while.

Update: I called Acer USA and got the commercial side sale. They say the Ojo ConceptD VR is already released on the commercial side but not on the consumer side. In fact, the guy I spoke with said he demo'd it about two months ago. They gave me the consumer product sales side number which I called and they said there was no official release date set yet on the consumer side.

3PAKPzC.jpg

Ha, mine just went back today! Still I think I'd rather have a model that I know has all the kinks ironed out. I can survive a few weeks without VR I'm sure.

So did you get a refund or a replacement when they get available? Since I purchased direct from HP my replacement would only be a version 2 they are saying. Some of the other retailers are still selling the first batch. :cry:

I think it will be closer to two months than two weeks. I am doing the refund.

Ha, mine just went back today! Still I think I'd rather have a model that I know has all the kinks ironed out. I can survive a few weeks without VR I'm sure.

Edited by Secoda

Pretty sure at the rate things are going with HP it would be more than a few weeks. I'm willing to bet at least 2 months until they fix production and start shipping them out. Surely enough I think stock will still be an issue.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I just printed the return/refund label and will drop off at Fed Ex in a bit.

September is my guess as well when V2 Reverb's might start shipping again unless they get hit with some new problem. Maybe Acer will release the new Ojo on the consumer side in the meantime. Acer is Taiwan vs China so I am slightly more optimistic about them. :D

Pretty sure at the rate things are going with HP it would be more than a few weeks. I'm willing to bet at least 2 months until they fix production and start shipping them out. Surely enough I think stock will still be an issue.

Edited by Secoda

So did you get a refund or a replacement when they get available? Since I purchased direct from HP my replacement would only be a version 2 they are saying. Some of the other retailers are still selling the first batch. :cry:

I think it will be closer to two months than two weeks. I am doing the refund.

I purchased direct from HP UK but was only offered a refund, so I assume its a bit more uncertain here in terms of stock. You're probably right about the wait time, but it's not the end of the world tbh.

I gotta' send mine back next week at the latest ....I'm not looking forward to it.

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

ShopBLT.com was showing HP Reverb ETAs to their warehouses of June 6, then July 12 and now August 30th to September 16 depending on which warehouse.

So yes, 2 months for V2 it seems.

MSI Z170A Titanium Edition mobo + 6700K CPU

32 GB G.Skill TridentZ memory 3200 MHz

Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 GB SSD

Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB M.2 SSD (3 GB/s) for DCS and +.

HP ZR24W Monitor, EVGA GTX 1080ti FE

Thrustmaster Warthog, MFG CrossWind rudder...

and Oculus Rift CV1.

ShopBLT.com was showing HP Reverb ETAs to their warehouses of June 6, then July 12 and now August 30th to September 16 depending on which warehouse.

So yes, 2 months for V2 it seems.

Thats where mines going ,,,sigh :cry:

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

I updated a prior post but most probably missed it. I spoke to Acer USA today before I decided for sure on the return/refund since I had three options with the Reverb.

Update: I called Acer USA and got the commercial side Sales. They say the Ojo ConceptD VR is already released on the commercial side but not on the consumer side.

In fact, the guy I spoke with on the commercial side first said he had demo'd it about two or three months ago. He gave me the consumer product sales side number which I called and they said there was no official release date set yet on the consumer side for the VR headset yet.

I would like to try a Pimax 8K X when it comes out even though my hopes aren't high based on their other models. From What I read they did figure out how to keep the cable down to only one DisplayPort 1.4 cable and still deliver about 16M pixels but only at 75-80Hz. For a while they they were talking two cables to handle the data load. I think 80 Hz would work. Most of the folks testing the higher Hz on the Valve Index aren't noticing a lot of difference beyond 80-90 Hz like 120 Hz.

Yeah it's annoying. So close, and yet so far. I'm giving serious thought to the Acer ConceptD OJO but there's not a lot of news about that right now. Time will tell.

Edited by Secoda

I updated a prior post but probably missed it. I spoke to Acer USA today before I decided for sure on the return/refund since I had three options with the Reverb.

Update: I called Acer USA and got the commercial side Sales. They say the Ojo ConceptD VR is already released on the commercial side but not on the consumer side.

In fact, the guy I spoke with on the commercial side first said he had demo'd it about two or three months ago. He gave me the consumer product sales side number which I called and they said there was no official release date set yet on the consumer side for the VR headset yet.

I would like to try a Pimax 8K X when it comes out even though my hopes aren't high based on their other models. From What I read they did figure out how to keep the cable down to only one DisplayPort 1.4 cable and still deliver about 16M pixels but only at 75-80Hz. For a while they they were talking two cables to handle the data load. I think 80 Hz would work. Most of the folks testing the higher Hz on the Valve Index aren't noticing a lot of difference beyond 80-90 Hz like 120 Hz.

Yeah I was also interested in the Pimax 8k x but it's starting to head into silly money territory and I would need to be VERY confident that it's a fully functioning and stable piece of hardware after all the hassle of the Reverb. On reflection it might not be a bad thing to sit back and wait for a bit before evaluating again the options.

I just bought an industrial high-temp enclosed 3D Printer for home and the Reverb refund pays for part of it. :thumbup:

Yeah I was also interested in the Pimax 8k x but it's starting to head into silly money territory and I would need to be VERY confident that it's a fully functioning and stable piece of hardware after all the hassle of the Reverb. On reflection it might not be a bad thing to sit back and wait for a bit before evaluating again the options.

I was just talking to someone about the Reverb, Valve Index, and Rift S. 1600 x 1440 is never going to compete with 2160 x 2160 native resolution for clarity unless the Reverb doesn't work at all I guess. LOL It's real obvious and the difference is significant.

They all have the same sub-pixels. I think the Valve Index does the best job with the SDE lines but they are hardly gone. When it come to spotting ground targets or planes at a distance or lights at night the difference is HUGE between the Reverb and the other two. That is where we are at the moment.

If you play a lot of stand-up motion games then I would fork out for the Index even if it is worse in DCS if I don't play sims a lot. (I might have two headsets then - a 2160 x 2160 for DCS and a VI for motion games) The VI has better controllers and controller tracking and it is much better for games requiring movement IMO. The sacrifice is clarity. Clarity isn't as important in a lot of games like it is in DCS flying missions. If the Acer Ojo ConceptD 2160 x 2160 is as good on clarity as the Reverb and brings the IPD adjustment then it may even better for more DCS players IMO.

My 2 cents after comparing each now.

Edited by Secoda

I was just talking to someone about the Reverb, Valve Index, and Rift S. 1600 x 1440 is never going to compete with 2160 x 2160 native resolution for clarity unless the Reverb doesn't work at all I guess. LOL It's real obvious and the difference is significant.

They all have the same sub-pixels. I think the Valve Index does the best job with the SDE lines but they are hardly gone. When it come to spotting ground targets or planes at a distance or lights at night the difference is HUGE between the Reverb and the other two. That is where we are at the moment.

If you play a lot of stand-up motion games then I would fork out for the Index even if it is worse in DCS if I don't play sims a lot. (I might have two headsets then - a 2160 x 2160 for DCS and a VI for motion games) The VI has better controllers and controller tracking and it is much better for games requiring movement IMO. The sacrifice is clarity. Clarity isn't as important in a lot of games like it is in DCS flying missions. If the Acer Ojo ConceptD 2160 x 2160 is as good on clarity as the Reverb and brings the IPD adjustment then it may even better for more DCS players IMO.

Yeah, this exactly. Obviously there are some other variables to consider when evaluating VR headsets, but if the resolution is too low all you're really doing is trying to use some software tricks to mask a lack of clarity. As you say, in a flight sim where you're looking for objects miles away this is absolutely critical.

The Acer OJO does look promising, and to be honest a better design of headstrap and audio along with IPD adjustment would be great to have as well. We'll just have to wait and see what the lenses are like I guess.

Edited by sohei

On the iRacing forums someone had both Index and Reverb and felt the greater sweetspot of the the Index made for greater overall clarity and returned the Reverb. I was surprised, not sure what their IPD was though.

I have a fully working Reverb with an IPD of 65 and find the clarity fantastic. Not sure if the refresh options of the index might be worth having. I have no need at the moment for controllers so the Reverb (without issues) seems the best option right now though I would like to try an Index myself to confirm.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

The guy with the Valve Index I tried who has an IPD of 69 mm (if I am remembering correctly but it was large) who tried my Reverb said the sweet spot was small for him too. We looked at the DCS main menu and picked spots where the clarity changed. The difference was huge between my 64 mm and his large IPD. I think how far the lenses sit from your eyes makes a difference as well as IPD. I am surprised they all don't at least have an IPD adjustment. I would say if you are more than 3 mm away from the headset setting I would look for an adjustable one. It will likely still work but have a small sweet spot and you may see the edges of the lenses, etc.. The Valve Index has both adjustments and is optimal in that regard. Too bad they didn't opt for 2160 x 2160. I suspect pricing was getting out of hand on the total kit. For DCS personally I prefer inside tracking and as long as I have plenty of light the Reverb was very smooth.

It's more complex than just the IPD and lens distance to eyes. Some of the lenses are mounted at different angles I read. Basically, like a motorcycle helmet the only way you are going to know is to test it yourself. Try for under thirty days and return it if need be. The manufacturers/retailers should be up for that given this issue.

On the iRacing forums someone had both Index and Reverb and felt the greater sweetspot of the the Index made for greater overall clarity and returned the Reverb. I was surprised, not sure what their IPD was though.

I have a fully working Reverb with an IPD of 65 and find the clarity fantastic. Not sure if the refresh options of the index might be worth having. I have no need at the moment for controllers so the Reverb (without issues) seems the best option right now though I would like to try an Index myself to confirm.

Edited by Secoda