HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Sorry m8. I and hundreds of others are wrong you are right it is 150° as you say. Who the hell we are to confront your ultimate knowledge.

Index is the best and the cheapest and everything else is the garbage.

Sorry one more time.

There really aren't any facts to be disputed here - people have the headset, have measured the FOV in the headset and they've measured the rendered FOV coming out from the games, it's 114 degrees combined horizontal FOV (and as I've shown the diagonal isn't 130 either). Humans are fallible and the reviewers made a mistake based on the marketing spiel. If you want to stick to the belief that it's 130 degrees, go ahead, but it's just plain wrong.

P.S. I don't actually have the Index, haven't placed an order or plan to buy it, I've got no skin in this game, there's just a lot of misinformation around.

This is becoming tedious, guys. Valve don't say anything about 130 or 150 or ..., they simply say 20 degrees more than the typical Vive user. All depends on eye to headset position.

From their site:

'The best way to improve field of view is to position the optics as close as possible to the eyes. Physically adjustable IPD (distance between eyes) and eye relief (distance from lens to eye) lets you optimize the field of view for your face. With these features, as well as the dual-element lens and canted optics, this headset provides 20° more FOV than the HTC Vive for typical users.'

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Well my Reverb is being collected in a couple of days, and I'm being offered a refund rather than a replacement so I'm without VR for a while now, sadly :(

No way man, without VR!!!!! By me swap or a new cable. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

For the time being at least. Hopefully they'll correct the problems eventually.

They better ...I'm hanging on to mine as long as I can before sending back to BLT ....hope I'm not waiting too long for a replacement ...I don't Wanna' go back ...:(

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

They better ...I'm hanging on to mine as long as I can before sending back to BLT ....hope I'm not waiting too long for a replacement ...I don't Wanna' go back ...:(

I know right? The thought of staring at the display on my Rift just fills me with despair after the high res glory of the Reverb. I was really getting back into DCS because of the Reverb :(

('Trover saves the universe' is damn good fun in VR too ¬_¬).

A small pie is soon eaten

I'm surprised HP allowed my less than glowing review on their web site to post. Mine is really negative so hopefully they do something about it.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

I'm surprised HP allowed my less than glowing review on their web site to post. Mine is really negative so hopefully they do something about it.

Have they turned reviews off now? I've been unable to leave one.

The one small positive is that the returns process was pretty easy other than getting bounced through a few departments before I got to the right person. There was no quibbling about organizing a return, and no requirement for me to follow a bunch of redundant troubleshooting steps. Pickup by DPD on Monday, so I've got a few more days to get as much fun as possible out of my poor damaged baby, sniff :(

So the headset is nor recommendet at the moment? Anyone knows when HP brings an "fixed" headset on the market?

Thank you!

I'm waiting too. Shame as I have not flown in a while either. But I don't want to chance getting a bad one. But honestly it's barely available in US right now anyway.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

The one small positive is that the returns process was pretty easy other than getting bounced through a few departments before I got to the right person. There was no quibbling about organizing a return, and no requirement for me to follow a bunch of redundant troubleshooting steps. Pickup by DPD on Monday, so I've got a few more days to get as much fun as possible out of my poor damaged baby, sniff :(

:thumbup:

That certainly is good customer service. I worked with Oculus support early on with my Rift S and it was a nightmare, taking days between communications. I ended up resolving the problem myself in the end.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

No, I just submitted my review from a email of them asking me to write a review and it took three days for them to approve it. I think I'm the six or seventh review. I'm the only one giving it a 1 star LOL.

Edited by Naruto

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

No, I just submitted my review from a email of them asking me to write a review and it took three days for them to approve it. I think I'm the six or seventh review. I'm the only one giving it a 1 star LOL.
They probably will filter their reviews and possibly yours wasn't so bad. They would not want to seem like a shill to only allow 5 start reviews so they have to let a few in that have some negatives but not too negative.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

They probably will filter their reviews and possibly yours wasn't so bad. They would not want to seem like a shill to only allow 5 start reviews so they have to let a few in that have some negatives but not too negative.

Trust me, mine was really negative so props to them for allowing it. It listed a whole host of problems with their gear.

Trust me, mine was really negative so props to them for allowing it. It listed a whole host of problems with their gear.
I'm glad they did allow it. I will try and go read it now haha. What's weird is they have made no public statement that there are newer units that are revised for the cable design issue.

I spoke to HP Tech support in the US (again lol) for about thirty minutes yesterday because I am waiting for a replacement cable (even though my unit still works fine most of the time). I asked a lot of questions and got a lot of the low down and will give more details when I get the cable. I suspect they don't want to do anything until they are absolutely sure there are no other problems but in the meantime there is a delay while cable replacements are being manufactured.

Clearly, they released the unit without enough testing that included the long cables. Probably, some executive's bonus was on the line to beat the Rift S and Valve Index OTD. Who knows. They gambled and lost. Retiring from a giant US corporation I can just bet that someones head rolled on this one. I am sure they will make it right but the horse is already out of the barn on a botched product release.

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

I spoke to HP Tech support in the US (again lol) for about thirty minutes yesterday because I am waiting for a replacement cable (even though my unit still works fine most of the time). I asked a lot of questions and got a lot of the low down and will give more details when I get the cable. I suspect they don't want to do anything until they are absolutely sure there are no other problems but in the meantime there is a delay while cable replacements are being manufactured.

Clearly, they released the unit without enough testing that included the long cables. Probably, some executive's bonus was on the line to beat the Rift S and Valve Index OTD. Who knows. They gambled and lost. Retiring from a giant US corporation I can just bet that someones head rolled on this one. I am sure they will make it right but the horse is already out of the barn on a botched product release.

Thanks for that! It's pretty much what I expected tbh. I'm looking forward to a fault free version as I still really love this device.

Oh my god, I'm in an abusive relationship with a VR headset! No matter how much it hurts me I'll take it back every time! :O.

A lot of negative here so let me fill in. Did some more flying today, about two hours with FPS in the 70s. The only glitch was flickering half way on the right eye that lasted one minute. Then after about two hours it started with the black outs. I tried several times to restart dcs and X-Plane but CTDed. SteamVR shuts down, not WMR. I restarted the computer, fired up X-Plane and did 30minuts with no glitches.

Again, visuals are superb. I’m not going back to my O+, but I am filing a complaint to HP. Although I guess this might be a software or usb problem. Btw, I think I’ve turned off all the usb power saving options.

Also, in dcs I have a feeling that the eyes are not completely aligned. I get somewhat tumbleweed putting the headset on, then I guess the eyes adapt and the feeling fades. I don’t get the same in X-Plane or P3D. Anyone else?

Edited by kega76

What is your IPD? Mine is 64 mm and the Reverb is about as good as it gets I think in terms of fit, clarity, sweet spot, working with glasses, and FOV. No halos or anything unusual. That is the problem with headsets that are not adjustable for IPD.

Those issues you mention are ones being addressed by HP along with others.

Have you tried reprojection?

Knowing what I know now about the HP Reverb and Valve Index I would only go to the Valve Index if I had to have the adjustable PD because my eyes were just too wide or narrow for mainly exclusive use in DCS.

A lot of negative here so let me fill in. Did some more flying today, about two hours with FPS in the 70s. The only glitch was flickering half way on the right eye that lasted one minute. Then after about two hours it started with the black outs. I tried several times to restart dcs and X-Plane but CTDed. SteamVR shuts down, not WMR. I restarted the computer, fired up X-Plane and did 30minuts with no glitches.

Again, visuals are superb. I’m not going back to my O+, but I am filing a complaint to HP. Although I guess this might be a software or usb problem. Btw, I think I’ve turned off all the usb power saving options.

Also, in dcs I have a feeling that the eyes are not completely aligned. I get somewhat tumbleweed putting the headset on, then I guess the eyes adapt and the feeling fades. I don’t get the same in X-Plane or P3D. Anyone else?

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Hi, I have measured my IPD to 64 as well, via the scientific mirror method. Looking into the lenses one eye at a time the match pretty good with the sweet spot. And, this doesn’t happen in other sims or the cliff house.

I tried putting the headset on half a dozen times to try to figure what you are seeing. Nothing strange for me. It comes from a blank into the cliff house with the desktop open ready to go solid as a rock and clear as a bell as it starts up.

Maybe I am not understanding?