Thanks for the Force Feedback

bedrat2

Thank you guys over at Heatblur for putting "Force Feedback" in for the F-14 it makes a huge difference. My joystick is no longer a lip noodle while flying and I can really feel the limits of the Tomcat.

On a side note Jester is a wimp, he bailed out on my after we got shot up a bit. I lost my radar, radios, HUD, some hydraulic systems fail and the Tomcat shuttered a bit back to base, but I made it back to base without my RIO who bailed out in enemy territory. I felt a little bad about leaving him, but I'm sure a helo came and got him, right?

I was expecting a simple centering force when they said "basic", but I get FF for high AoA, transonic flight, jet wash, you name it.

The first flight after the patch I got hit by some bullets and dived to the deck, feeling the shaking with that compressor stall sound it's unbelievable.

I really love my Force Feedback 2, but I wish they came out with a new "force feedback" joystick. I also really want a Tomcat grip, it was such a specialized grip with the weapon selector and the push down for the Phoenix missile.

I really love my Force Feedback 2, but I wish they came out with a new "force feedback" joystick. I also really want a Tomcat grip, it was such a specialized grip with the weapon selector and the push down for the Phoenix missile.

Well there is a 3d print file for a tomcat grip on this very sub form, and the Input/Output sub forum has a post on converting your Sidewinder FFB2 to take a Warthog grip...so I mean, get crafty.

Seriously you think FFB is cool now, try it with an extension and a real HOTAS.

xSMtGkX.jpg?1

Well there is a 3d print file for a tomcat grip on this very sub form, and the Input/Output sub forum has a post on converting your Sidewinder FFB2 to take a Warthog grip...so I mean, get crafty.

Seriously you think FFB is cool now, try it with an extension and a real HOTAS.

xSMtGkX.jpg?1

I've seen a few of those and it is on the list of things to build/buy for flight simming. My end goal would be to build a 1 to 1 F-14 cockpit with RIO seat. I've been doing a ton or research on it I've watch a few guys build A-10 cockpits and F/A-18 cockpits. The guys over at hornetpits.org have some great resources. My problem is I don't want to cut up my working MSFF2 just yet. I have been looking on ebay and thinking about maybe getting a MSFF1 and take that one apart or a 2nd MSFF2, but they are getting rarer. A buddy of mine had a MSFF1 growing up (late 90's early 2000's) and that think was just as much a beast as the MSFF2 but I don't think it has the in grip IR to detect if your hand is on the grip or not and I know it didn't have a hat switch.

I saw the 3D printed Tomcat grip and it's a great start, I've been looking into seeing if I can't get with a museum I know of that has a Tomcat and see if we can't get a good 3D scan of it along with measurement to see if we can't make a really accurate one. I have also seen a few resin ones for sale but they are usually a couple hundred bucks.

• 4 months later...

This x1000.

My FFB2 was stolen and I have missed it from the day it was taken. They sometimes pop up on eBay but for such an old peripheral you never quite know if it is going to function well. Mine was in pristine condition having purchased it from new back in 2000, i think it was.

Would love a new flight force feedback joystick, one for today's level of flight sims.

Well I have mine in use since 2004, most of the time in daily usage of multiple hours. And it's still good. I guess this is one piece of hardware that you even could buy blindly off of the bay in used condition.

But a new thing would be so awesome... I'd save up and pay something ~300ish for a base for those common grips (TMWH, TMH, Virpil and VKB) alone...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

It's awesome. Just one issue left for me which is the double trim effect. Basically trimming with FFB shifts the spring force center, but also the stabilizers are moved as if there was no FFB - both add up, halving the sensitivity. So with FFB, the trim control should not change the stabilizers anymore at all since the repositioning is done via the spring force centering.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Eldur, you're trimming the aircraft - not just the stick. Has to be both stick force and stabilators if you want both change in pitching moment and stick force.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

It's awesome. Just one issue left for me which is the double trim effect. Basically trimming with FFB shifts the spring force center, but also the stabilizers are moved as if there was no FFB - both add up, halving the sensitivity. So with FFB, the trim control should not change the stabilizers anymore at all since the repositioning is done via the spring force centering.

The trim switch moves the trim actuators, which in turn shifts the zero-force position of the stick as well as the stabs. Try holding down the pitch trim while trying to keep the stick in the same position -- you will experience a force increase due to the shifting neutral position of the stick away from its current position. Hopefully that makes sense.

Edited by fat creason

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations