Valve Index Hands On

aileron

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, my IPD is also 58.

So no cross eyed vision? Even though the minimum IPD setting is 59? I already told the wife I was ordering another lol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

So no cross eyed vision? Even though the minimum IPD setting is 59? I already told the wife I was ordering another lol.

I have lazy eye (right one) so unfortunately I cannot appreciate so much cross eyed vision... have you read something more about openVR settings?

I have lazy eye (right one) so unfortunately I cannot appreciate so much cross eyed vision... have you read something more about openVR settings?

I have openVR debug tool installed currently. I would think it will fix what little cross eyed effect I get. I’ll let you know which settings work when the Reverb comes in. So what you’re saying is you have NO PROBLEMS with the Reverb?

Thank you sir.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I have openVR debug tool installed currently. I would think it will fix what little cross eyed effect I get. I’ll let you know which settings work when the Reverb comes in. So what you’re saying is you have NO PROBLEMS with the Reverb?

Thank you sir.

No problem with them.

Good luck!

Is there a suggested setup for Index controller. It's beyond frustrating current (lack of) implementation.

(figured this part out) I just want to point to a switch - move up / down / rotate left or right.

Now I want to remap green light to trigger. Suggestions?

Edited by SimFreak

Anyone here recommend the Valve Index for DCS what are the pros and cons

Normally I would say yes, as I've used it exclusively for the last six months. It's by far the highest quality build of them all. But, for DCS you will need the highest or close to the highest PC specs to run it well. When I say well, for me I mean at a solid 45 FPS using 90hz refresh rate and most objects being visually clear. If you go through this thread, having the best PC specs does not guarantee a good performance with the Index both visually and FPS count.

Is it a great unit for VR? Yes. For DCS exclusively?? I'll let you know when I get my Reverb Pro tomorrow lol. At least two people who's opinions I trust on this thread have switched to the Reverb. We'll see.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Normally I would say yes, as I've used it exclusively for the last six months. It's by far the highest quality build of them all. But, for DCS you will need the highest or close to the highest PC specs to run it well. When I say well, for me I mean at a solid 45 FPS using 90hz refresh rate and most objects being visually clear. If you go through this thread, having the best PC specs does not guarantee a good performance with the Index both visually and FPS count.

Is it a great unit for VR? Yes. For DCS exclusively?? I'll let you know when I get my Reverb Pro tomorrow lol. At least two people who's opinions I trust on this thread have switched to the Reverb. We'll see.

Let me know

My pc would be 9700K and 2080 ti. I

Let me know

My pc would be 9700K and 2080 ti. I

As long as your IPD is within the norms (at least 59 or above to 70 I think) get the Reverb. Your PC specs will run it beautifully. Unfortunately the Reverb doesn’t work for me. Still too cross eyed to use and I’ve tried every hack I know but one which I’ll try tomorrow. The Index is the better quality rig but the Reverb when aligned on my head by physically holding it low and left on my face was crystal clear and silky once I turned on motion vector. Also, I did not need ANY MSAA. Compared to my Index there was virtually no aliasing and the only super sampling I used was SteamVR custom resolution at 150% but I could have gone lower than that and it would still look good.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ordered a new Reverb today as I had to see what all the fuss is about. My plan is to test it directly to the Index and sell (or return in the Reverb's case) whichever one I feel doesn't work for me. One thing is for sure, if the Reverb wins, I'll miss the Index for the polished headset it is. Super comfortable, adjustable IPD (60mm for me), great audio and a nice FOV.

At 60 IPD you should be very happy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How much additional clarity are we talking? 10%, 20%? I do wonder if the looking through a periscope thing would bother me.

For an idea on the difference in clarity, with the Index, lean in a ways till it gets super clear. That’s how clear the Reverb will be without leaning in.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For an idea on the difference in clarity, with the Index, lean in a ways till it gets super clear. That’s how clear the Reverb will be without leaning in.

With the Index you say that the Refresh rate hurts because its higher even with a 2080ti and 9700k it will be tough to run 60fps with the resolution what if I turn down the refresh and some other stuff

With the Index you say that the Refresh rate hurts because its higher even with a 2080ti and 9700k it will be tough to run 60fps with the resolution what if I turn down the refresh and some other stuff

I've run mine at 90 pretty much since I received it. It will run 120 and 144 but it will NEVER hit that high unless looking straight up. What happens is the headset will step down by half or 60 FPS if using 120hz. However, if it can't hit and stay at 60 it will then drop to 40 and lastly 30hz. Running mine on 90hz has always kept me damn close to 45 or higher depending on the map. While it's cool the headset can go to 144hz you're not going to see that until DCS is much more optimized.

I've been very happy with the Index so far. Like most VR flyers I'm always looking to improve the visuals hence my buying the Reverb. Unfortunately after about 15 hours of tweaking I've given up on it for good. The cross eyed effect is just too distracting. That said, after changing back to the Index my Custom Resolution setting was left on 150% which is what SteamVR recommends and is the default setting for the Index. It looks fine to me now. Could it better, yeah but honestly I'm sick of messing with it. I'm almost constantly at 45 FPS regardless of how heavy the map it. Your system should run it fine with a 9700 and a 2080Ti. I don't really notice a difference between 60 and 45 FPS but I DO notice a difference from 45 to 40.

My advice is to set it at 90 FPS and you should be good to go.... but, this is DCS so take that statement with a grain of salt lol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mine is pretty consistent at 40fps. Dropping down in busy environments but still doesn’t stutter.

I’m fine with it, wish it was faster but tired of futzing w settings.

Im afraid that when I add SRS to the mix the load is going to make it worse

We shall see but I ain’t buying another high dollar headset.

Cheers!

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Has anyone tried the newest NVIDIA driver yet. It has Variable Rate Supersampling feature, pretty much selective supersampling (in the center area of display). This would allow use of SS without significant drop in fps compared to traditional methods.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/nvidia-geforce-ces-2020-game-ready-driver/

I'm not sure if DCS is supported though.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Has anyone tried the newest NVIDIA driver yet. It has Variable Rate Supersampling feature, pretty much selective supersampling (in the center area of display). This would allow use of SS without significant drop in fps compared to traditional methods.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/nvidia-geforce-ces-2020-game-ready-driver/

I'm not sure if DCS is supported though.

I installed but do not see a setting like that in the Nvidia Control Panel?

Edit: Ah in reading the link, it appears it is only available for games that have been tested by Nvidia which currently is around 20 games.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I installed but do not see a setting like that in the Nvidia Control Panel?

Edit: Ah in reading the link, it appears it is only available for games that have been tested by Nvidia which currently is around 20 games.

If I read correctly, it looks like nvidia VRSS is applicable only to their graphic cards with Turing architecture.

So whatever this feature brings, it leaves out other cards.

I stand and hope to be corrected otherwise because I am on pascal architecture.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Mine is pretty consistent at 40fps. Dropping down in busy environments but still doesn’t stutter.

I’m fine with it, wish it was faster but tired of futzing w settings.

Im afraid that when I add SRS to the mix the load is going to make it worse

We shall see but I ain’t buying another high dollar headset.

Cheers!

SRS, at least stand alone SRS shouldn't have any performance hit at all.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If I read correctly, it looks like nvidia VRSS is applicable only to their graphic cards with Turing architecture.

I'll see if the option is available in Nvidia Profile Inspector. If it is I'll try it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes and I have a Turing card.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yes and I have a Turing card.
Okay, good for those with Turing card.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Okay, good for those with Turing card.

Not with DCS though, and only around 20 games so far that have been tested and the feature turned on for by Nvidia.

Don B