Pilot / RIO radio responsibility in RL question

Roadrunner

Hi folks,

i would like to ask, how the communication of the crew is managed.

Like who is talking to traffic control, who talks on landing, who talks to AWACS, etc.

If someone knows, or maybe any real world former F-14 driver could explain, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks & happy landing,

RR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

Just a few remarks to destroy the "It's easy argumentation" above:

- Landing Pattern in CASE 1/3; How the communcation looks like after a bolter?

- Talking to Paddles?

- BVR changing to WVR, communication to the flight outside the 10nm bubble and inside, who gives the calls? The priority changes from RIO to pilot, at least in terms of flying, but how's the communication really handled? Who calls what?

It looks easy all the time and as soon as you really start to use the "RIO handles everything" in a mission, you'll quickly notice that it creates trouble in some situations.

Is there no change in communication priority? Never?

At least in WVR I doubt it (but don't know...).

It's not that easy every time and "https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=f14+communication" delivers...nothing statisfying.

So where are these "dozens of videos"?

Can't find them:helpsmilie:

Yep OP I agree with you Rio does it all seems very unnatural to me.

Certainly in a visual fight it would seem strange if every call from the pilot had to pass through the RIO.

Fwiw in the Tornado the Pilot did WVR and all ATC comms. RIo did all GCI and BVR comms.

This works a lot more naturally as far I am concerned but then again Navy are always a bit odd.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

You guys know that it is prohibited to link anything "interesting".

But there is a Flightcrew Coordination chapter which states clearly that the RIO handles generaly all communication, except it is tactical necessary that the pilot may talk himself.

Thate the offical one, everything else may knly be answered from a turkey driver.

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

You guys know that it is prohibited to link anything "interesting".

But there is a Flightcrew Coordination chapter which states clearly that the RIO handles generaly all communication, except it is tactical necessary that the pilot may talk himself.

Thate the offical one, everything else may knly be answered from a turkey driver.

That seems pretty odd to me. AFAIK and generally speaking about 2 seat fighters, the pilot usally does all the flight related stuff, like talking to ATC, while the backseater handles the "tactical" comms, like talking to AWACS or a FAC.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Based on what I heard/read, a lot depends on the specific crew and their personal preferences. Some pilots talk more than others on the radio...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

That seems pretty odd to me. AFAIK and generally speaking about 2 seat fighters, the pilot usally does all the flight related stuff, like talking to ATC, while the backseater handles the "tactical" comms, like talking to AWACS or a FAC.

Just checkout the NATOPS.

What the crew may really do is then another chapter.

But I also remember an interview (sorry, can't remember a source) where a turkey driver said, that there have been RIOs whom does not even let the pilot talk a single sentence. And also, that ATC is always handled by the RIO.

Steam user - Youtube

Most RIOs take personal pride in handling all radio comms, and feel shame if a pilot catches a radio call that they didn't hear or forgot about. There are some instances where a pilot talking makes more sense (e.g. 2v2 WVR fight), but a RIO is close enough to the tactical situation to make just about every call required.

The division of comms, however, is highly crew-dependent. Some crews develop a synergy where the pilot and RIO have different responsibilities, but there's nothing set in stone.

Each community is also different. In mine, pilots would handle ATC and NFOs would handle tactical comms.

So where are these "dozens of videos"?

Can't find them:helpsmilie:

Aircrew Interviews is a good channel. Lots of Tomcat and twin seat stuff.

Also Fighter Pilot Podcast and ( no kidding ) PeninsulaSrs have applicable talks.

You may end up having to watch hours of videos for tens of minutes of relevant information. I dunno about you, but I'm interested in fighter jets, so it's not all that much of a chore :D

One thing you probably won't get is a highly definitive answer in one place.

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

Too bad I guess.

Well aren't we just the Ray of sunshine..

Seriously, I don't understand why you even bothered to reply

Next time please don't waste any of our time and just keep scrolling..

Thanks!

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Most RIOs take personal pride in handling all radio comms, and feel shame if a pilot catches a radio call that they didn't hear or forgot about. There are some instances where a pilot talking makes more sense (e.g. 2v2 WVR fight), but a RIO is close enough to the tactical situation to make just about every call required.

The division of comms, however, is highly crew-dependent. Some crews develop a synergy where the pilot and RIO have different responsibilities, but there's nothing set in stone.

Each community is also different. In mine, pilots would handle ATC and NFOs would handle tactical comms.

Thanks for that the last paragraph. Makes perfect sense.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

When I fly with my buddies,

RIO does all the external comms (PLT breaks in if he needs something). and InterFormation comms is all PLT (unless RIO has something interesting to say).

this is because RIO only has one PTT (without fiddling with switches, while PLT can Xmit on both)

I guess this is a pretty important point. There seems to be a lot of differences in this regard between different aircraft types and services/countries.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Just checkout the NATOPS.

What the crew may really do is then another chapter.

But I also remember an interview (sorry, can't remember a source) where a turkey driver said, that there have been RIOs whom does not even let the pilot talk a single sentence. And also, that ATC is always handled by the RIO.

That might be Okie on the Aircrew Interview Q&A

dunno if that's in this video coz he's done several Q&A.

I recall him saying the RIO did 90% of all comms & when he transitioned to the F-18 the biggest difference was to manege all the radio-calls & radar "stuff" himself, since he was used to having a RIO doing that for him.

So my impression is the RIO did all the ATC & the Pilot did WVR, formation, tactics changes/acknowledgments. If you're the "lead" Pilot of course you gonna talk more to your wingman, otherwise it's basically acknowledgments with your callsign as a Pilot wingman.

Also generally that's how we do it in my squad.

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

Yep our Backseaters did all the BVR calls and the tactics stuff after chatting to the front depending on the cockpit gradient. Pilots all flew SOPs so there was nothing to say until you were getting into the visual arena.

On some ops it was completely silent procedures which was fun but obviously took a lot of training

GTX 1080 Has its uses

• 2 weeks later...

Just found it again:

During start-up, the pilot handled all of the engines, control surfaces, and other on-board checks while the RIO handled the AWG-9 (radar), LANTIRN targeting pod, a few other systems, clearance with ATC and most other communications. In fact, the RIO probably did 90% of the communication. Most RIOs wouldn't even let the pilots talk on the primary radio; it was a matter of pride and control. I think the pilots liked not having that burden because it allowed them to concentrate on flying.

Source:

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/an-elite-f-14-airman-explains-why-the-tomcat-was-so-imp-1610043625

Sounds like a trustable source for me...

Steam user - Youtube

• 2 weeks later...
Aircrew Interviews is a good channel. Lots of Tomcat and twin seat stuff.

Also Fighter Pilot Podcast and ( no kidding ) PeninsulaSrs have applicable talks.

You may end up having to watch hours of videos for tens of minutes of relevant information. I dunno about you, but I'm interested in fighter jets, so it's not all that much of a chore :D

One thing you probably won't get is a highly definitive answer in one place.

Now that is a good answer! Thank you :)

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk