Would you buy TMWH again?

Gogojuice

Looking for opinions from owners.

Right now I'm playing with a x52. It's failing, so I need to look for something else.

I fly the f18.

TM came up as a nice combo.

However, although more expensive, would you go with virpil or VKB if you were to do it over again and why?

Thanks for your time.

Other options are quite expensive and to be honest, I love my Warthog. I greased it up, bought the Slew Mod, an 7cm extension and dust covers. It is a great piece of a stick. Could be better gimbal wise but hey, it´s doing a perfect job for me. So my answer is yes, as long as I´m sticked with the A-10C and Hornet.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

I've only had mine for a few weeks after upgrading from an X-56 (stick only), and I would never downgrade again. I cannot speak to the other higher dollar sticks in comparison as this is my first, but it was immediately known how much better it is than the X-56. I find myself overcompensating for all of the slop and play that was in the Saitek stick, the Warthog is just butter smooth in use. Another is just the overall feel, I was always gentle with pressing buttons and such for fear of breaking the cheap plastic parts on the X-56. I got the Warthog and actually missed a bombing run because I didn't press the weapon release button firm enough :doh:. All that said, with my limited use so far, I would buy it again and am already looking at picking up a second hand Warthog throttle system in the next few months.

System: IBP Snowblind, i7-9700k, Zotac RTX2080Ti, 32GB DDR4 , Samsung 970 Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe, WD 1TB, Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM T.Flight Pedals, TM MFD's, Buddyfox A10C UFC

Modules/Maps: F/A-18C, A10C, UH-1H, F-15, F5, P51, F14, Caucasus, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I've had mine from beginning {mine had the 1st run"Bricked" Throttle issue}other than that it's been fantastic.I have The TM Hornet stick on it now and Love it!! I also pre-ordered The Virpil VFX Tomcat stick,I like the versatility you get with it,Yea....I'd buy it again,I'm very Happy with it.

Patrick

mini.gif

Other options are quite expensive and to be honest, I love my Warthog. I greased it up, bought the Slew Mod, an 7cm extension and dust covers. It is a great piece of a stick. Could be better gimbal wise but hey, it´s doing a perfect job for me. So my answer is yes, as long as I´m sticked with the A-10C and Hornet.
I'm with this but without slew mod and dust cover

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

When my Warthog throttle "bricked" after many years of use and Thrustmaster was temporarily out of stock of the pcb that needed to be replaced, I looked at my options. The most cost effective way to replace my throttle was to buy the complete Warthog HOTAS, and I did. So, it is not a matter of "would I", because I already did. Eventually, I got the PCB and repaired my original. I now have two fully operational Warthog sticks and throttles, so I will probably never be down hard do to a failure again.

But, I also got a VKB Gunfighter II with the MCG Pro package. The VKB setup is awesome. The SCG grip is really nice, too. There is an adapter that can be installed in Warthog grips to make them compatible, though I had to file down one edge to get it to fit in the F/A-18C grip. But I appear to have damaged a bearing by using two #50 springs on each axis (the specified safe limit is two #40 springs) and I am finding tech support for the VKB to be a lot slower/less effective than Thrustmaster tech support. So, like the Warthog, I decided to buy a 2nd Gunfighter II, this time with the KG12 grip. This will get me back up and will provide redundancy once I find out a safe/correct way to replace the bearing. Plus, I now have every type of grip that works with the VKB setup as well as extensions.

With my VKB down, I had to revert to the Warthog stick (which I use with a 15 cm extension). You can't beat the value of the Warthog. It doesn't feel nearly as good as the VKB, but it still works very well with high precision and zero noise. There are some nightmare quality control stories, but I have two and one of them is very old with very few problems, and those were easily fixed.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, they replaced one base on warranty. I have 3 of their bases. One virpil, I generally prefer the WH sticks to the Virpil one. The WH sticks are solid, and with an extension they "Float" in all 3 dimensions as opposed to the virpil which has a very strong X/Y feel, even after swapping out weak springs for it. I haven't changed out the cams on the Virpil yet to see if I can further reduce the centering force, the virpil stick seems quite flimsy plastic compared to the solid WH sticks.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

For me, and I've had the HOTAS system since first released:

The throttle is very good. (first issue bricked board - replaced).

The Stick is great but . . . . . not the base gimbal assembly.

I will not by another one if it has the same gimbal setup.

I have mated my WH stick to my VKB Gunfighter base and wow, what a nice setup.

Yes. Thrustmaster Warthog is solid reliable HOTAS.

Mine is from March 2011 (over 8 years old) and still works perfectly. I use it a lot and if it died tomorrow would buy a new one instantly.

Same here.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

I bought my Warthog combo in 2012. Still very reliable. The only thing I changed is the slew control (https://deltasimelectronics.com/collections/all) and I also bought the F/A-18 grip. I also own the VKB Gunfighter with a second Warthog grip and adapter, but I still use the original Warthog stick quite often, because the F-16 and F/A-18 grips can be changed very fast, with no adapters and no problems. I would buy the Warthog combo again, if mine would break down after more than 7 years of duty. :)

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

i have been using tm wh throttle for several months. i was using ch pro throttle and i can say that it is a huge upgrade. my old throttle was always shaky and not precise.

but i can not say same thing for tm wh stick. i tried my friend's controller and i didin't like it at all. too heavy and sticky. i always hate sticky sticks and throttles. so i am still using my ch fighterstick. i may consider buying vkb sticks after my controller dies

Edited by ebabil

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Certainly some great points brought up.

Overall.. my take away has been that most people are happy with it. A couple of issues, specifically the base, but like the grip and throttle.

Perhaps then I should look at it a different way..

Get the TM combo and.....if needed.. in the future replace the base (perhaps virpil warbird)?

Get the TM combo and.....if needed.. in the future replace the base (perhaps virpil warbird)?

Virpil Warbrd or VKB Gunfighter for desktop usage. Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 or VKB Gunfighter if you plan to center mount it with extension. Note that to use the Gunfighter with your a Warthog grip you would need a Warthog adapter Rev.B which I think isn't available yet.

Virpil Warbrd or VKB Gunfighter for desktop usage. Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 or VKB Gunfighter if you plan to center mount it with extension. Note that to use the Gunfighter with your a Warthog grip you would need a Warthog adapter Rev.B which I think isn't available yet.

I just got mine last week.

I received notice of inventory being available and ordered.

If TM made a new and better gimbal for the stick, I would. I have 2 complete TM WH hotas and 2 more WH sticks/bases. Every base but one which is essentially new, I've had to tear apart and service. TM's support is a thumbs down from me, but the metal stick and throttle are decent IMO. Gimbal - not so much.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

F-16 and F/A-18 grips can be changed very fast, with no adapters and no problems. I would buy the Warthog combo again, if mine would break down after more than 7 years of duty. :)

do you have different profiles for DCS?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

do you have different profiles for DCS?

It's always displayed as "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog" in the control settings of DCS, no matter if used with the F-16 or F/A-18 grip. Both grips have the same number of buttons, so it's no problem to swap them. I only disconnect them from the USB-port while swapping. Don't know if it is really necessary, but I think it's safer. Yes, I'm using different profiles for each grip. But only because I have a customized button assignment for the A-10C and the F/A-18C.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

It's always displayed as "Joystick - HOTAS Warthog" in the control settings of DCS, no matter if used with the F-16 or F/A-18 grip. Both grips have the same number of buttons, so it's no problem to swap them. I only disconnect them from the USB-port while swapping. Don't know if it is really necessary, but I think it's safer. Yes, I'm using different profiles for each grip. But only because I have a customized button assignment for the A-10C and the F/A-18C.

sorry again, what´s your base?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

sorry again, what´s your base?

My base is the original Thrustmaster Warthog base. On this base I'm swapping the F-16 and F/A-18 grip, as required. Second to that I also own a VKB Gunfighter with a TM Warthog grip and adapter. But on the Gunfighter I can only use the second Warthog grip, because the adapter needs to be built into the grip (by opening the grip and inserting the adapter with an aditional PCB). You can find the VKB to TM adapter here: https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=tm-warthog-adapter