Hornet doesn't have proper controls..???

Pitufo

I was waiting on this... Bought it, refunded it... Now I've bought it... And.... NO Speedbrake abstraction that works with X56 Logitech Rhino. WTF. For the price and the hype about it I thought it must be a top notch, Problems solved module. As a beginner in this but experienced with other modules (M2000C has speedbrake abstaction). Why hasn't this been fixed/implemented? When other modules just do it....?

You seem kinda angry or frustrated

Could you explain a bit more what you mean by "speedbrake abstraction"?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• ED Team
I was waiting on this... Bought it, refunded it... Now I've bought it... And.... NO Speedbrake abstraction that works with X56 Logitech Rhino. WTF. For the price and the hype about it I thought it must be a top notch, Problems solved module. As a beginner in this but experienced with other modules (M2000C has speedbrake abstaction). Why hasn't this been fixed/implemented? When other modules just do it....?

Hi

there are 4 possible inputs for the speed brake.

3 are separate EXTEND / OFF / RETRACT

and a forth special option RETRACT/OFF

If these do not meet your needs please explain why

thanks

Screen_191224_083621.thumb.jpg.4da5ed9f5d294ea0ee4e741819e86681.jpg

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

The key bindings on the hornet are very good. You can assign the speed breaks to a 2 way switch, 3 way switch or a button. You can do anything with these. I guess you didn't understand how to do it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

after his initial outbreak of frustration and all these comments, Pitufo has never come back to say what specifically his issue is. Maybe he is now studying the information available. That would make sense.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

The speedbrake abstaction he says is that the air brake is deployed while the button is pressed, and the air brake closes when the button is released

That works for the Mirage because its speed brake is just ON/OFF.

The F/A-18C allows partial extension of the speed brake and therefore needs the commands EXTEND, HOLD (= OFF) and RETRACT. And that requires a 3-position switch. It might be that the X-56 Rhino throttle doesn't have a 3-position switch and he wants to use a 2-position switch for a simplified speed brake mode which is just ON/OFF like in the Mirage.

I had provided, some time ago, a simple mod for the "default.lua" file which does just that. This line must be inserted into the file using Notepad++:

{down = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_SPEED_BRAKE, up = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_SPEED_BRAKE, cockpit_device_id = devices.HOTAS, value_down = -1.0, value_up = 1.0, name = _('Speed Brake Switch 2-Pos EXTEND/RETRACT'), category = {_('Throttle Grip'), _('HOTAS')}},

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 3 weeks later...

Ya that's it LeCuvier. I was just frustrated with the X56 I think. And I didn't realize the F/A-18's speedbrake was designed for partial extension. Thanks for the mod. Is it an actual mod file or do I just need to insert that line of code and that's it?

So while I'm at it and I suppose it's off topic, how come the Mirage doesn't have a left/right command for the HSI knob?

...Thanks for the mod. Is it an actual mod file or do I just need to insert that line of code and that's it?...

You need to insert it into the file "default.lua" under "...\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick". I recommend you insert it below line 7 which reads "join(res.keyCommands,{". Use Notepad++ to edit the file. If you don't use OvGME, make a backup copy of the modified file because updates overwrite modified files.

LeCuvier

So while I'm at it and I suppose it's off topic, how come the Mirage doesn't have a left/right command for the HSI knob?

HSI Mode switch is a seven-position rotary switch. I see no handle to create CW/CCW commands. The VAD selector is an axis and I could probably create an axis command if that does you any good. Let me know!

I cannot think of any good reason why the developer has not created CW/CCW commands for both knobs. Why don't you post bugs?

LeCuvier

I have the X56 and I bound the speed brakes to the rocker switch on the throttle, near the pinky finger.

Rig: Alienware Aurora R9 - 9th Gen Core i7 9700K 4.6GHz 8 Cores | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 | 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD | 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200MHz XMP 2.0 | LG Series80 QNED 50in 4K 120hz | TM Warthog HOTAS w/F-18 grip | Logitech G Pro RP | TM Cougar MFDs | TrackIR 5 Pro | VR: Oculus Quest 2 |

Modules: FC3 | F/A-18C | F-16C | A-10C II | F-14 | M-2000C | AV-8B | F-5E | JF-17 | P-51D | KA-50iii | UH-1H | AH-64D | Supercarrier | Combined Arms | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria | Normandy | Chanel |

• 2 weeks later...

Hey so is it possible to make other lines of code similar to that one for the speedbrake? Case in point: I'm building a button box and I thought there would be an abstraction for Master Arm ON else Off but no such luck. The Harrier has one. I would have rather only used one button input instead of now having to go and replace my On/Off switches with ON/ON or ON/OFF/ON switches.

Add this to '..\DCS World{ Openbeta}\Mods\DCS FA-18C Mods\DCS FA-18C Cockpit Controls - HOTAS\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick\default.lua' hopefully with the Game Mode Enabler of your choice (I recommend OvGME):

{	down = SMS_commands.MasterArmSw, up = SMS_commands.MasterArmSw,	cockpit_device_id = devices.SMS, value_down =  1.0,	value_up =  0.0,	name = _('Master Arm Switch - ARM else SAFE'),		category = {_('Instrument Panel'), _('Master Arm Panel')}},

Works perfectly with an On/Off switch with the On state being SAFE. If you want the Off state to be SAFE, switch the 'value_down' and 'value_up' parameters and rebind.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I do not own an X56, but with all the buttons on them, why do you guys have to write line in Notepad++? Wouldn't the modifiers be a lot easier?

I use a Thrustmaster T-flight stick X and I hardly use the keyboard for any aircraft. I turn buttons 5 to 10 as modifiers, with that and the hat switch alone I have 72 different commands.

For example on the A-10C ( another aircraft that allows partial speed brake) button 6 ( a modifier) and button 4 to open the speed brakes and button 6 and 3 to close them. I do the same for the F-16.

On the MIG-21, I do not even use the keyboard.

Just for example, modifiers can be any button that does not have anything else assign to them

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Hey so is it possible to make other lines of code similar to that one for the speedbrake? Case in point: I'm building a button box and I thought there would be an abstraction for Master Arm ON else Off but no such luck. The Harrier has one. I would have rather only used one button input instead of now having to go and replace my On/Off switches with ON/ON or ON/OFF/ON switches.

Here is my complete set of additions:

{down = SMS_commands.MasterArmSw, up = SMS_commands.MasterArmSw, cockpit_device_id = devices.SMS, value_down =  1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Master Arm Switch 2-Pos ARM/SAFE'), category = {_('Instrument Panel'), _('Master Arm Panel')}},
{down = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_EXTERIOR_LIGTHS, up = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_EXTERIOR_LIGTHS,    cockpit_device_id = devices.HOTAS,    value_down =  1.0, value_up = 0.0,    name = _('Exterior Lights 2-Pos ONOFF'), category = {_('Throttle Grip'), _('HOTAS')}},
{down = iCommandPlaneGearUp, up = iCommandPlaneGearDown, name = _('Landing Gear Control Handle 2-Pos UP/DOWN'),    category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},
{down = gear_commands.HookHandle, up = gear_commands.HookHandle, cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, value_down =  1.0, value_up =  0.0, name = _('Arresting Hook Handle 2-Pos UP/DOWN'), category = {_('Right Vertical Panel')}},
{down = HUD_commands.HUD_AltitudeSw, up = HUD_commands.HUD_AltitudeSw, cockpit_device_id = devices.HUD,    value_down =  1.0, value_up =  0.0, name = _('Altitude Switch 2-Pos BARO/RADAR'), category = {_('Instrument Panel'), _('HUD Control Panel')}},
{down = cpt_commands.CanopySwitchClose, up = cpt_commands.CanopySwitchOpen, cockpit_device_id = devices.CPT_MECHANICS, value_down =  -1.0, value_up = 1.0, name = _('Canopy Control Switch 2-Pos OPEN/CLOSE'), category = {_('Right Wall'), _('Systems')}},
{down = oxygen_commands.OBOGS_ControlSw, up = oxygen_commands.OBOGS_ControlSw, cockpit_device_id = devices.OXYGEN_INTERFACE, value_down =  1.0,    value_up = 0.0,    name = _('OBOGS Control Switch 2-Pos ON/OFF'), category = {_('Left Console')}},
{down = cptlights_commands.HookBypass, up = cptlights_commands.HookBypass,    cockpit_device_id = devices.CPT_LIGTHS,    value_down =  -1.0,    value_up = 1.0,    name = _('Hook Bypass 2-Pos Switch FIELD/CARRIER'), category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},
{down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, up = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, value_down =  -1.0, value_up = 1.0,    name = _('Launch Bar Control 2-Pos Switch RETRACT/EXTEND'), category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},
{down = extlights_commands.LdgTaxi,    up = extlights_commands.LdgTaxi, cockpit_device_id = devices.EXT_LIGHTS, value_down =  1.0,    value_up =  0.0, name = _('LDG/TAXI LIGHT Switch 2-Pos ON/OFF'), category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},
{down = ctrl_commands.WingFoldPull, pressed  = ctrl_commands.WingFoldSelect, cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE, value_down = 1.0, value_pressed = -1.0, name = _('Wing Fold Control PULL-FOLD'), category = {_('Right Vertical Panel')}},
{down = ctrl_commands.WingFoldSelect, up  = ctrl_commands.WingFoldPull, cockpit_device_id = devices.CONTROL_INTERFACE, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 0.0, name = _('Wing Fold Control SPREAD-STOW'), category = {_('Right Vertical Panel')}},
{down = fuel_commands.DumpSw, up = fuel_commands.DumpSw, cockpit_device_id = devices.FUEL_INTERFACE, value_down =  1.0, value_up = -1.0, name = _('Fuel Dump Switch 2-Pos ON/OFF'), category = {_('Left Console'), _('Fuel Control Panel')}},
{down = 3256, up = 3256, cockpit_device_id = 0,    value_down =  -1.0,    value_up =  0.0, name = _('Flashlight 2-Pos ON/OFF'), category = {_('View Cockpit'), _('Right Console')}},
{down = iCommandPlaneShowKneeboard,    up = iCommandPlaneShowKneeboard, value_down = 1.0, value_up = -1.0,    name = _('Kneeboard 2-Pos SHOW/HIDE'), category = _('Kneeboard')},
{down=gear_commands.EmergParkHandleSelectPark, up=gear_commands.EmergParkHandleOnOff,cockpit_device_id=devices.GEAR_INTERFACE,value_down=1.0,value_up=-1.0,name=_('Emergency/Parking Brake Handle - CCW+Pull'),category=_('[13] Front Left - Vertical Panel')},
{down = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_SPEED_BRAKE, up = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_SPEED_BRAKE, cockpit_device_id = devices.HOTAS, value_down = -1.0, value_up = 1.0, name = _('Speed Brake Switch 2-Pos EXTEND/RETRACT'), category = {_('Throttle Grip'), _('HOTAS')}},

If you need further additions, just state specifically "which"!

LeCuvier

THANK YOU

Ummm... Does it have to be Open Beta? I'm using Steam 2.5.

Ahh I see there's a couple for the launch bar and the hook bypass... I was just about to post in the bugs cause I just got the first part of my box set up and was having a meltdown over those.

That's a typo in the CPT_LIGTHS and THROTTLE_EXTERIOR_LIGTHS right? Should be LIGHTS? Or not?

EDIT: THIS IS AWESOME. I don't suppose this could be the right place to ask about buggy rotary encoders? I've got a Derek Speare board with 2 more in the mail and I've setup some push button rotaries and configured them properly (I think) in the configuration utility... But they don't always want to register a click for a click and sometimes register the opposite input. Is this a problem with the rotaries or a software/OS problem I could configure?

Edited by Pitufo

THANK YOU

Ummm... Does it have to be Open Beta? I'm using Steam 2.5.

I don't think that the Steam version of DCS software has a different structure. The mods should work in all versions.

LeCuvier

That's a typo in the CPT_LIGTHS and THROTTLE_EXTERIOR_LIGTHS right? Should be LIGHTS? Or not?

Sorry, but I cannot figure out what the problem is. As far as I recall these commands work.

LeCuvier

I do not own an X56, but with all the buttons on them, why do you guys have to write line in Notepad++? Wouldn't the modifiers be a lot easier?

I use a Thrustmaster T-flight stick X and I hardly use the keyboard for any aircraft. I turn buttons 5 to 10 as modifiers, with that and the hat switch alone I have 72 different commands.

For example on the A-10C ( another aircraft that allows partial speed brake) button 6 ( a modifier) and button 4 to open the speed brakes and button 6 and 3 to close them. I do the same for the F-16.

On the MIG-21, I do not even use the keyboard.

Just for example, modifiers can be any button that does not have anything else assign to them

There are actually 2 types of modifiers -- modifiers and switches. Yes, that was not mis-typed. It's just ED's =(&/)(%/ inability to use humanly understandable and consistent terminology :mad:

Explanation: behind the [Modifier] button you can set (Modifiers) and (Switches).

• (Modifiers) are controller buttons or switches you configure. Once configured as a (modifier) it will work the same as a meta-keys on your keyboard (Alt, Ctrl, Shift, etc.); As long as it is asserted it changes the meaning of any other button or switch asserted at the same time. In DCS you have to bind these (modified)-buttons combinations an in-cockpit switch or some action.

The drawback of (modifiers) is if you configure a permanent switch as a modifier, every other button or switch press, unless it has a specific (modifier)-button binding configured, will simply be masked as the (modifier) changes the meaning of every button or switch in combination with the (modifier).

• (Switches) work like (modifiers) except they are sticky -- kind of like shift-lock -- pressed the first time and they are "On"; pressed a second time and they are "Off". Aslo, they don't mask all there switches and buttons. This allows you to setup modes for selected switches and buttons on your HOTAS. You could have a couple of 4-way thumb hats be used for navigation operations in one mode and weapons operations in another mode.

The drawback of (switches) is ED's lack of thought and support on implementing them. There is no indicator telling you if a (switch) is active or not, and there is no reset to default possibility. If you have lost track of how a (switch) is set, you have to figure out how to discover its setting so that you can set it to where you want it. This might be easy and as safe as trying a button and seeing if it changes your radio channel, or as dangerous as it jettisoning your bombs -- it's very dependant on your personal configuration and situation.

So (modifiers) and (switches) in certain situations could be very useful. To make them more useful in all cases, shout a bit into this thread Mode Selection Switch Configuration, and maybe the ED-gods will hear us. I doubt it, but it doesn't cost much to post "yeah, what he said, +1".

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

There are actually 2 types of modifiers -- modifiers and switches. Yes, that was not mis-typed. It's just ED's =(&/)(%/ inability to use humanly understandable and consistent terminology :mad:

I guess I can't relate. To me ED control set up has been the easiest to change or configure to what ever the user prefers since the flaming cliff 1 days. I can't think why anyone would use a permanent switch as a modifier. I pick the video as an example, any button can be a modifier.

Like I said I do not own a x56, but looking at photos of it online, just making the front 4 buttons on the throttles as modifiers and with the 5 had switches, would give you over 80 commands.

Anyway, I was just curious. Hope you guys figure it out.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

One problem with creating a configuration with Modifier-(modifiers) is that you must hold the (modifier) while pressing the other switch or button. So, for example, if you use the DMS thumb-switch as a (modifier), you can easily (modify) switches and buttons on the throttle, but not anything you operate on the stick, because your thumb is already holding the DMS switch.

attachment.php?attachmentid=154073&stc=1&d=1482654190

However, if you use the DMS switch as a Modifier-(switch), you can tip it in one direction to activate that switch-direction and then use other configured switches or hats on the stick as well as the throttle.

Surprisingly enough, I use this the most in the P-51D and the Spitfire, because I can then use the CMS switch (up, down, left, right, and press) to emulate various multi-directional switches or even multi-setting knobs.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having a speed brake issue where it flat out will not deploy, regardless of where it's mapped. I have the Warthog Hotas and have it mapped to the Chuck's Guide template. But whether the plane is on the ground in "ready on the ramp" status or in-flight, the mapped controls flat out will not deploy the speed brake. I've tried unmapping and remapping, tried mapping to different switches on the throttle. No matter where I map to it doesn't deploy. I'm at a loss at this point.