Uuuuaaaah..! I have started building now..!

Triggerhappy69

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... So I finally got right then? Yiipyyy..! Thanx mate..:thumbup:

You sure did :) If I were you I would investigate the possibilities of making some mods to Thrustmaster Warthog. I'd bet my ass that there will be ways to make money on someone's incompetence again ;)

Some pictures along the way to finishing the Cyclic setup:

Naturally I am using hall effect sensors everywhere..

dscn1472eo.jpg

dscn1474.jpg

dscn1475e.jpg

Maybe some of you guys noticed the "jerking" in the cyclic stick when I reased the Trim in the video (previous post)? Well I decided that I can not have this, so I needed some dampeners to mount on the X and Y axis.

But all I had where these dampeners from a big RC monster truck?

dscn1464.jpg

... and they didn't have nearly enough dampening force.

So I figured I'd open them up and see how they work.

dscn1465y.jpg

dscn1466t.jpg

And to my surprise they actually work on the simple principle of a piston with small holes through it, alowing the oil to run from one side to the other. Slowing the piston movement down in the prosess!

dscn1469.jpg

.. notice the three small holes? All I had to do was plug two of the holes, and that should give a noticable difference in the dampening force. Since the oil now is prohibited from running from one side to the other as free as before?

After cleaning the dampener with running hot water, and then Acetone. I pugged the holes with epoxy putty.

dscn1471.jpg

.. I refilled the oil into dampeners, and whattayaknow..! It works just perfect now..

So next is fabricating some attachment brackets for the dampeners to the cyclic gimbal. Something like this maybe..? We'll see tomorrow.

dscn1476r.jpg

Edited by Triggerhappy69

"But (504)Brewber said they were'nt friendly.. So I took'em out.!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And now, with the dampeners in place, I can feel a major improvement in the way the cyclic feels..! Now it actually seems like the stick is connected to more mechanics and hydraulics undeneath...

dscn1480k.jpg

I still need to make a cross-brace to stiffen the side walls, so they don't flex under the preassure of the roll axis dampeners. But that should be an easy job..

dscn1479.jpg

View from front.

dscn1478k.jpg

I made a new limit ring to decrease the movement of the cyclic a little more.. Now I have approximately 30 degrees movement.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You sure did :) If I were you I would investigate the possibilities of making some mods to Thrustmaster Warthog. I'd bet my ass that there will be ways to make money on someone's incompetence again ;)

Hmmm.. you might be onto something there mate..!

It could be an interresting project, but the production time for a KA50 cyclic stick is quite high when it's handmade.. If I was to make one it would take me at least a week..! Even though I've got experience building them now..:music_whistling:

.... making it damn expencive I guess..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can feel a major improvement in the way the cyclic feels..! Now it actually seems like the stick is connected to more mechanics and hydraulics undeneath...

Were you considering any other outcomes? :) Of course you got a feeling close to the real feel of hydraulically boosted control system. For non boosted systems you would probably have to drill 6 huge holes in the damper piston. For non boosted system of a light aircraft - no damper at all.

It could be an interresting project, but the production time for a KA50 cyclic stick is quite high when it's handmade.. If I was to make one it would take me at least a week..! Even though I've got experience building them now..:music_whistling:

.... making it damn expencive I guess..

There are always some moronic (usually without any possible production cost benefits, just plain stupidity) solutions in commercial joysticks. You don't even have to look hard for them in most cases :D

Were you considering any other outcomes? :) Of course you got a feeling close to the real feel of hydraulically boosted control system. For non boosted systems you would probably have to drill 6 huge holes in the damper piston. For non boosted system of a light aircraft - no damper at all.

- That is true,, I've flown the R44 Robinson, and it does have a direct control feeling. Vibrations and sentripetal forces are fed directly back into your hand.

While the Sikorsky SH-3 or Super Puma or EC135 feels more like my setup does..! (The Sikorsky and SuperPuma I have only flown in Profesional simulators, The EC135 however I've had the pleasure of flying RL)

The MI-2P however was different from all the above. I had the pleasure of flying while on a skydiving vacation in Hungary. And, allthough looking like it would be the least likely to be catergorized as one, it had the smoothest feel... And I might be just imagining this, but I remember thinking it felt like a hydraulic system. but not "detached" like the Super Puma? It was like a hydraulic system WITH some kind of feedback?

Strange actually...? Because it looked like crap, and had the feeling of an angel..

There are always some moronic (usually without any possible production cost benefits, just plain stupidity) solutions in commercial joysticks. You don't even have to look hard for them in most cases :D

- Again I agree..!

However it is strange how the russian forums are full of people not giving in to having a "king of nothing" joystick. While US and Europeans don't seem to care as much? We have a lot to learn from the guys posting on the suhkoi.ru forums (To all others: Just skim through the HRCM threads, and be in awe of how these guys think out of the box!).

I have learned so much just from looking at the pictures there, and picked up ideas like nowhere else..!

For me it seems just wrong flying the A-10C with my Blackshark HOCAS.. When flying the A-10C, I use a modded combination of SunCom F15 split throttle and a Thrustmaster F-16 Stick that are reconnected through a BU0836X Joystick Card.

And if I had time, I would build a HOTAS for my all-time favourite airplane of all times.. The dark and dirty overlord og ground pounding.. The fright and fear of all armoured crews and A-10 pilots locked in dogfight with it.. THE BELOVED SU-25..:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

While the Sikorsky SH-3 or Super Puma or EC135 feels more like my setup does..! (The Sikorsky and SuperPuma I have only flown in Profesional simulators, The EC135 however I've had the pleasure of flying RL)

The MI-2P however was different from all the above. I had the pleasure of flying while on a skydiving vacation in Hungary. And, allthough looking like it would be the least likely to be catergorized as one, it had the smoothest feel... And I might be just imagining this, but I remember thinking it felt like a hydraulic system. but not "detached" like the Super Puma? It was like a hydraulic system WITH some kind of feedback?

Strange actually...? Because it looked like crap, and had the feeling of an angel..

Could you focus for a moment on EC 135 and Super Puma? If they felt even a little bit different than your setup with dampers would you be able to describe it more specifically i.e. on a deflection vs force graph? Given that all displacements are at constant rate (speed) <=> constant damping force.

Disregarding the changes in the arm length (IRL the arm is not constant neither) in your case you should get

Ftot = Fs + Fd , where d872bfdf62ad3be18174dff5d36d5c5d.png and 90a8c6d87a7393bb4d78ac59939a10e4.png (Fd=-c*v, where v is velocity that is)

and

damper_spring_vconst.png

Now, what would you point out as being different in EC 135? You can sketch something on the original image...

I would lay my hands on the EC 135 simulator too, but unfortunately the recruitment process has been closed for at least 6 months. I can contact EC 135 but pilots tend to be useless for acquiring such information :music_whistling:

Edit:

One more thing regarding your particular solution utilizing dampers. Why did you use two dampers per axis? They should work the same both ways.

- Again I agree..!

However it is strange how the russian forums are full of people not giving in to having a "king of nothing" joystick. While US and Europeans don't seem to care as much? We have a lot to learn from the guys posting on the suhkoi.ru forums (To all others: Just skim through the HRCM threads, and be in awe of how these guys think out of the box!).

I have learned so much just from looking at the pictures there, and picked up ideas like nowhere else..!

What's HCRM?

I can't really explain why the further East the more invasive people are when modding their joysticks :) One explanation is poverty for sure, weather we like it or not. The ability to see on the spot that something is not right is hard to tie to geography though :) I recall I got few negative reps some time ago for stating

TM Cougar seriously screwed up => TM Warthog will have culprits too

I consider thinking outside the box my specialty too but one can't just rely solely on that even if he has genius potential. It's sort of like with artists. Before an artist can create a masterpiece he learns craft (skills) first. In both cases, an artist and an engineer, the past creations are studied. Both normal and unconventional ones.

Re eastern ways of tearing things apart :) - the first day I got my X52 Pro I did the hall sensors mod (because some idiot at Saitek decided to use moving parts there and he didn't even know he'll get heavy non-linear characteristics - sic!). A month later or so (why so late - don't ask me...) I ripped out the whole lots-of-play-and-constant-force centering mechanism

x52centeringmod_bucic.jpg

What I got? No play (except that on the gimbal mechanism which is insolvable without replacing the whole mechanism) and variable force + no transition bump when going past the neutrum.

my all-time favourite airplane of all times.. The dark and dirty overlord og ground pounding.. The fright and fear of all armoured crews and A-10 pilots locked in dogfight with it.. THE BELOVED SU-25..:thumbup:

You mean the Me 262 counterpart? :D

EDIT:

Hey TH, could you send me your e-mail. Please check your PM first.

Edited by Bucic

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, hi to everybody and specially to Triggerhappy69, you rule!

I have been reading your post and the evolution of your cockpit building for a long time (when i can get acces to internet lol), but never posted until today. Soz :P

So today i have just registered in the forum specially for writting in your post and congratulate you for your work (i'm helicopter engineer in real life and your skills are great!) and also try to solve a doubt that i have for some time since the idea of building my own cockpit is on my head:

With the boards from opencockpits, how do you do to use toggle switches? I mean, isn't a problem for you to have continous current flowing throw all you switches when they are closed?

Sorry for my bad english and for haven't posted until today, i should have done it before!

Best wishes from Menorca, small mediterranean island.

Edited by NyZuZ
  • Like 2

want some serious KA50 **it? hit youtube guy : KA50Oakes... the guy's a monster!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 2 weeks later...

exhaustgastemperaturega.jpg

I had to dump this idea. Simply because driving the 1/16 gearing from the "1" side with a servo (big or small) resultet in it not wanting to move effortlessly at all..!

So instead I'm now going to drive the gears from the "16" side with small stepper motors.

I chose to build this gauge not using my cnc, since I wanted to show that the whole stigma arround instrument building really is overrated. When you brake the seemingly complex mechanics down to each function, instruments are much like LEGO..

... now all I have to do is figure out how to get it all connected and backlighted and looking good and... Aaaaaarg..! c";)

Anyway, here's the gearing done.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sweet deal you got there, man!

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly