HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

You know they mean european union when they list EU in germany? I don't think shipping to the UK is still handled as a inside EU shipment. Is it? Also i think you will get a belated tax bill, or is the UK still part of the Schengen Area/EUCU?

Well, I’m in the UK and they didn’t charge me for shipping.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

UK is still in the EU... and they didn’t charge me for shipping either...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

UK is still in the EU... and they didn’t charge me for shipping either...

Well, technically, the UK did leave the EU on January 31 2020. We're just in a transition phase while the terms are sorted out - or not - as the case may be!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Right. The EU is technically not in the EU currently. But we are in a transition period where essentially arrangements between the EU and UK remain unchanged.

Regardless of the technicalities I am not being charged for delivery go the G2 to my home.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, technically, the UK did leave the EU on January 31 2020. We're just in a transition phase while the terms are sorted out - or not - as the case may be!

good clarification!

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Yeah, the price difference between the two is now fairly negligible and like you I don't want to faff around and risk missing the first batch. And I don't really want the hassle of having two headsets and selling one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am getting closer to thinking I will give this Reverb G2 a go.

I am having no issues with my Rift S and it is working great for me, but Oculus just does not seem too interested at present in furthering PC-VR development as most of their focus the last few months has been on Quest.

One thing I would prefer really would be to order from my Amazon Prime account. I wonder if they might be offering it for pre-order before it is released? Reason I would prefer that is I know I have 30 days to play with it and decide whether to keep or not. I can easily return for full refund no questions asked.

I have a pretty stout system, and wonder how much performance might suffer with this headset versus my Rift S. Would hate to lose too much eye candy just for little better resolution.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I am getting closer to thinking I will give this Reverb G2 a go.

I am having no issues with my Rift S and it is working great for me, but Oculus just does not seem too interested at present in furthering PC-VR development as most of their focus the last few months has been on Quest.

One thing I would prefer really would be to order from my Amazon Prime account. I wonder if they might be offering it for pre-order before it is released? Reason I would prefer that is I know I have 30 days to play with it and decide whether to keep or not. I can easily return for full refund no questions asked.

I have a pretty stout system, and wonder how much performance might suffer with this headset versus my Rift S. Would hate to lose too much eye candy just for little better resolution.

I think you're going to end up being pleasantly surprised by the performance, and may even see a performance gain since you won't need any SS and won't have to push DCS PD beyond 1.0. When I went from my CV1 to the Reverb, after getting SteamVR set up properly, I found that I no longer needed the trusty shader's mod, and I was able to turn my MSAA up to 4X. The only thing I turned down in my DCS settings was to go from PD of 2.0, to 1.0, and it didn't need to be any higher than that for awesome image quality.

Just speculating of course, but I'm thinking that HP is going to be running all of their pre-orders through that single on-line source. The release of the Gen 1 was such a logistical fuster-cluck, that I think they're trying to get a handle on that with a single point of contact. I think they severely underestimated the response they would get from the VR gaming world. Look like they've learned from it. I hope so anyway. :)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I think you're going to end up being pleasantly surprised by the performance, and may even see a performance gain since you won't need any SS and won't have to push DCS PD beyond 1.0. When I went from my CV1 to the Reverb, after getting SteamVR set up properly, I found that I no longer needed the trusty shader's mod, and I was able to turn my MSAA up to 4X. The only thing I turned down in my DCS settings was to go from PD of 2.0, to 1.0, and it didn't need to be any higher than that for awesome image quality.

Just speculating of course, but I'm thinking that HP is going to be running all of their pre-orders through that single on-line source. The release of the Gen 1 was such a logistical fuster-cluck, that I think they're trying to get a handle on that with a single point of contact. I think they severely underestimated the response they would get from the VR gaming world. Look like they've learned from it. I hope so anyway. :)

Ok thanks, I will stew on that a day or two.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Or you could flip it in the first week for a profit.

Yeah that is always a fall back possibility.

Don B

Trust me the longer I stay reading in this thread the sooner I am to preordering one for myself as well. When I told myself I shouldn't because I have two headsets I will need to get rid of. The original Odyssey I may as well throw away since it's so old.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I want to wait and see what some of you guys have to say before I commit to this. For the most part I can live with the Rift S for the foreseeable future, so I can afford to wait until I get around to building a new PC and preferably see a truly new generation of VR rather than relatively minor refreshes of existing hardware.

I'll sell you a perfect condition Reverb G1 when I get my G2 if you would like an upgrade?

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I agree with this. I went from a Vive Pro to the Reverb on the same system and actually had at least as good or better performance. As EC said, it just takes some additional tweaking in Steam VR to find the sweet spot. But it was a huge jump in resolution without the FPS hit that I expected.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Hype is an illness.

LOL! Okay. This is actually a good point. At least it is in general. Like for example "Intel Gen 10 is out and it's amazing." Hype. etc etc. Well in isolation Intel Gen 10 is pretty amazing. But it is not particularly amazing compared to the CPUs that most of us are already running, in which case it is a modest to negligible upgrade that will make improvements to frame rates that are unlikely to change our DCS experience fundamentally. (Unless you are using a VIC-20 that is... LOL!).

But VR is a bit different. For one, it is a game changer for flight sim immersion. Secondly, the technology is in early stages of development and large improvements are being made with every generation. Third, most of us are able to jump on the Half Life hype to sell our old VR headsets at cost to make the upgrade to the G2.

About a year ago I was totally new to VR. I didn't know if I would like it and I was wary of spending £1k and upwards on a headset which is an emerging technology and likely to be significantly outclassed within a year. For this reason the £400 Rift S made a lot of sense. After initial nausea I found that I enjoyed VR, performance was decent and well within the capabilities of my PC and the price point low enough that it was a minor expense for me.

But yeah, your point is amusing and it is somewhat true. We should all pinch ourselves when getting hyped at the latest gadget.

Edited by Milou

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Little better resolution? I am confused when you say this.

Am I not right in thinking that the Rift S has a res of 2x1280x1440? The Reverb G1/G2 have 2.5 times that number of pixels - 9.4m cf. 3.7m - if my arithmetic is correct. In addition, the PPD goes from around 11.6 in the Rift S to 19 in the Reverb. You feel that is a 'little better'?

All I can say is that when I went from the CV1 to the Vive Pro, it was a huge leap. Similarly, it was when I went from VP to Index, and then from Index to Reverb.

You just can't beat the Reverb in DCS. Resolution is king here. (Not so important in other titles like HL:A, Project Cars, etc.)

Also, when you take SteamVR SS into account, then the clarity of dials and cockpits is no longer an issue. Despite what someone else said above, if your system can handle it, there is a big improvement in clarity running at higher SS rates. I run at 200% - equivalent to 1.3 PD - giving a SS of 3124x3056.

HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

Am I not right in thinking that the Rift S has a res of 2x1280x1440? The Reverb G1/G2 have 2.5 times that number of pixels - 9.4m cf. 3.7m - if my arithmetic is correct. In addition, the PPD goes from around 11.6 in the Rift S to 19 in the Reverb. You feel that is a 'little better'?

All I can say is that when I went from the CV1 to the Vive Pro, it was a huge leap. Similarly, it was when I went from VP to Index, and then from Index to Reverb.

You just can't beat the Reverb in DCS. Resolution is king here. (Not so important in other titles like HL:A, Project Cars, etc.)

Also, when you take SteamVR SS into account, then the clarity of dials and cockpits is no longer an issue. Despite what someone else said above, if your system can handle it, there is a big improvement in clarity running at higher SS rates. I run at 200% - equivalent to 1.3 PD - giving a SS of 3124x3056.

I have both rift S and reverb (for now, one of the two will go away) and the difference in visual clarity is less then the numbers says really.

Rift S is really a good headset for its price.

Of course there is a difference, and yes reverb is the king...but my 1080ti is not able to handle it in dcs (no problems in other 2 famous sims) also at pd 1.0 and steam SS 100% and low settings. I need to put PD at 0.9 to be able to don’t drop under 45 fps also in pretty simple missions.

With rift S for comparison i never dip under 40fps (for ASW) also with pretty high settings.

So usually for DCS I prefer to use the Rift S.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I have both rift S and reverb (for now, one of the two will go away) and the difference in visual clarity is less then the numbers says really.

Rift S is really a good headset for its price.

Of course there is a difference, and yes reverb is the king...but my 1080ti is not able to handle it in dcs (no problems in other 2 famous sims) also at pd 1.0 and steam SS 100% and low settings. I need to put PD at 0.9 to be able to don’t drop under 45 fps also in pretty simple missions.

With rift S for comparison i never dip under 40fps (for ASW) also with pretty high settings.

So usually for DCS I prefer to use the Rift S.

With all due respect, I suggest that is down to the limitations of your hardware. If you were able to run at much higher settings comfortably, you would see more of a difference.

To be honest, I just ordered my G2 so I can bag one early. I had no expectations of getting decent performance from it, due to my system needing an upgrade. And, like many, I won’t upgrade yet, because I’m waiting for the 3080’s, the Zen 3, and, maybe, DDR5.

However, if people are stating that it will still perform well due to being able to lower PD etc, then that is great news. I’m selling my Rift S to fund this, but have a Quest I can use via Link as a standby, just in case my pc is too weak. Can’t wait for it to land :)

Well, I’m in the UK and they didn’t charge me for shipping.

No trolling, i lost trace of the topic in the media and was realy wondering. Great to hear there are no extra costs for you guys! But don't you think pre-order period is starting soon in the UK as well and you'll get it faster delivered, if pre-ordered from a british re-seller?

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

Maybe a day or so difference? Not a big deal. 2 weeks or a month or more would be annoying. 2 days, or so... nah.

Besides... given how well EU logistics work I would not expect much if any difference between intra UK and Germany to UK delivery. It could even be quicker if HP's EU depot is in Germany.

Edited by Milou

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah on paper it is a large leap in resolution it would seem, just basing it on some comments I have seen by others that made the change. Of course that is just impressions and they can vary from individual to individual, all I can do really is just try it for myself.

Don B