HP Reverb G2 Announced - next Gen

dburne

I have both rift S and reverb (for now, one of the two will go away) and the difference in visual clarity is less then the numbers says really.

Rift S is really a good headset for its price.

Of course there is a difference, and yes reverb is the king...but my 1080ti is not able to handle it in dcs (no problems in other 2 famous sims) also at pd 1.0 and steam SS 100% and low settings. I need to put PD at 0.9 to be able to don’t drop under 45 fps also in pretty simple missions.

With rift S for comparison i never dip under 40fps (for ASW) also with pretty high settings.

So usually for DCS I prefer to use the Rift S.

I have the same card and use pd 1.0 with steam at 100% with mostly high settings except a few and I don't have any issues with the Reverb. I only play single player though and if I don't see any stutters or hiccups (or slow head turning) it's fine for me, I'm not counting frames at all though.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

ditto... settings are below it is very rare i dont get 45fps, so i would expect the same on the G2 as the clarity improvements are optical rather than software driven

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Despite what someone else said above, if your system can handle it, there is a big improvement in clarity running at higher SS rates. I run at 200% - equivalent to 1.3 PD - giving a SS of 3124x3056.

Nobody said that. It was simply being stated that 100% was all that was needed for vastly improved image quality over what Don's Rift S is capable of. Of course he can go beyond 100%. Maybe he'll see an improvement that justifies possible performance loss, maybe he won't. That is all subjective. But for a comparison that actually addresses his concern about performance, 100% will get him much better visuals than the Rift S, along with better performance, running at the native resolution of the Reverb. That is not subjective, and addresses his concerns.

Personally, I prefer to run higher MSAA as opposed to higher SS, but that's just me. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Nobody said that. It was simply being stated that 100% was all that was needed for vastly improved image quality over what Don's Rift S is capable of. Of course he can go beyond 100%. Maybe he'll see an improvement that justifies possible performance loss, maybe he won't. That is all subjective. But for a comparison that actually addresses his concern about performance, 100% will get him much better visuals than the Rift S, along with better performance, running at the native resolution of the Reverb. That is not subjective, and addresses his concerns.

Personally, I prefer to run higher MSAA as opposed to higher SS, but that's just me. :D

:thumbup:

Ok I pulled the trigger on the pre-order!

Yeah I am with you there, I prefer MSAA as well.

I am looking forward to trying this puppy out.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It’s all down to personal preference obviously, but I find MSAA has a detrimental effect on cockpit graphics. Great for externals though.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Welcome to the Hp clan Don! :D

you won't regret it!

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Congrats Don! :D You'll see a definite improvement in clarity, but if you really want to feel good about the decision, try this: Fly with the Reverb for a few sessions, then go back to the Rift S for one. That's when you REALLY get a sense of the improvement.

Your free cookie is in shipping now. You should get it in 3-5 business days.

dark-side-cookie.jpg.jpeg

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I have the same card and use pd 1.0 with steam at 100% with mostly high settings except a few and I don't have any issues with the Reverb. I only play single player though and if I don't see any stutters or hiccups (or slow head turning) it's fine for me, I'm not counting frames at all though.

Well I do intensive multiplayer and I always do testing in the worst possible situation to see the bottom line.

If you have the Hornet...test persian gulf free flight (gpu frametimes testing) and Caucasus 1989 cas mission (cpu frametime testing) and see if you can really hold 45fps....

Also if you have p47 and channel map test p47 furball mission in channel map...the one against fw190a8

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Congrats Don! :D You'll see a definite improvement in clarity, but if you really want to feel good about the decision, try this: Fly with the Reverb for a few sessions, then go back to the Rift S for one. That's when you REALLY get a sense of the improvement.

Your free cookie is in shipping now. You should get it in 3-5 business days.

dark-side-cookie.jpg.jpeg

Lol I will be looking forward to that cookie.

Yeah I am pretty excited gang, this will be my very first VR Headset not made by Oculus.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

A reverb G1 does not look like a dirty windshield, this is bullsh...

I really like the upcoming G2. But in the end it is a HMD with the same resolution like the G1. People with nonstandard eye distance will now be able to use a reverb, fine. It is a nice headset, but not the ultimate answer to all VR desires. Let us not forget this.

The reviewer has very early access to a preproduction unit and describes it with great enthusiasm. I understand HP did address a lot of minor issues as well. This is always welcome. I patiently will compare the available HMDs when the time has come :-)

Edited by Motomouse

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

A reverb G1 does not look like a dirty windshield, this is bullsh...

If you haven't been able to notice the mura, then good but don't go looking for it. Because it's there. And once you notice it, you won't be able to un-notice it.

Don't know about Germany, but I will certainly be waiting for the official UK HP pre-order. I don't trust these 3rd party offerings!

Well, I'm beginning to think I was right to be wary.

I cancelled my pre-order to the German reseller either on the same day or the day after I ordered. I received no reply from them. I have since emailed them 2 or 3 times and have received no response at all.

Yet, today, the full amount of payment was taken from my credit card.

I feel a dispute coming on!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Well, I'm beginning to think I was right to be wary.

I cancelled my pre-order to the German reseller either on the same day or the day after I ordered. I received no reply from them. I have since emailed them 2 or 3 times and have received no response at all.

Yet, today, the full amount of payment was taken from my credit card.

I feel a dispute coming on!

You mean that "bestware" site that that VR guy on youtube is mentioning ?

Germany: http://tidd.ly/d33c1161 - 584€ via Bestware (MRTV Affiliate)

I doubt that site is scam, it would be desastrous for his channel right ?

I only pre-order from HP. The aftersales are fantastic. We all had problems with version 1 from the hp reverb last year.. HP send me a new one and asked sending me the old one, so i don't missed a day in VR! :D

So i stick with them. A reseller can be demanding the old one before sending a new one. And what to think of guarantees..long waits and hope for the best. music_whistling.gif

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

If Bestware don't cancel your pre-order, they would be doing you a favour. These VR headsets will sell like hotcakes. Many customers will miss the boat on the first tide and you will be able to flip it on eBay for a profit, even after selling fees and whatnot.

I would relax. Que sera sera.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You mean that "bestware" site that that VR guy on youtube is mentioning ?

Germany: http://tidd.ly/d33c1161 - 584€ via Bestware (MRTV Affiliate)

I doubt that site is scam, it would be desastrous for his channel right ?

I'm not suggesting it's a scam, it's just my experience of dealing with 3rd party resellers has been problematic in the past for various reasons, and it is proving to be that now.

I only pre-order from HP. The aftersales are fantastic. We all had problems with version 1 from the hp reverb last year.. HP send me a new one and asked sending me the old one, so i don't missed a day in VR! :D

So i stick with them. A reseller can be demanding the old one before sending a new one. And what to think of guarantees..long waits and hope for the best. music_whistling.gif

Yep, me too. However, on this occasion, I went with the German site as the UK HP price was crazy. That price reduced, so I changed strategy.

If Bestware don't cancel your pre-order, they would be doing you a favour. These VR headsets will sell like hotcakes. Many customers will miss the boat on the first tide and you will be able to flip it on eBay for a profit, even after selling fees and whatnot.

I would relax. Que sera sera.

Of course, that is true, but I don't really want that hassle, and my credit card is £1200 down!

I'm not suggesting it's a scam, it's just my experience of dealing with 3rd party resellers has been problematic in the past for various reasons, and it is proving to be that now.

Yep, me too. However, on this occasion, I went with the German site as the UK HP price was crazy. That price reduced, so I changed strategy.

Of course, that is true, but I don't really want that hassle, and my credit card is £1200 down!

The UK site is still a reseller, and not HP direct.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg