EDM EXPORTER for Blender 2.8

tobi

You should check your edm file in modelviewer first.

On 10/6/2023 at 5:56 PM, tsuyopooh said:

Tobi san,

I tried various things and experimented.

Giving up on checking from the sample, I proceeded to try with a cube step by step. While there are issues with some aircraft, it seems like I've managed to place most of the aircraft on the Object.

DCS 2023-10-07 00-37-43.jpg
F-5E OK

DCS 2023-10-07 00-37-35.jpg

Mirage2000 OK

DCS 2023-10-07 00-39-53.jpg

AV-8B OK

DCS 2023-10-07 00-37-53.jpg

AJS37 OK(tire is bad)

DCS 2023-10-07 00-37-11.jpg

High Place: F-5E NG
DCS 2023-10-07 00-37-03.jpg

F-15C NG
Static A-10A OK

It's not clear whether it's due to the thickness of the ShellNode or the height based on the position, but it seems to affect the behavior. Also, it seems more stable when using Heliport.

It would be great if Private Airfield could be created successfully...

This tool is excellent. Thank you very much.

Did you try to increase the Bounding Box size?

On 11/13/2023 at 3:20 PM, tobi said:

Did you try to increase the Bounding Box size?

Yes, I tried manually adjusting the bounding box size without using Calculated Bounding Boxes, and it improved the situation.

By the way, what is the difference between User Box and Bounding Box?

Currently, the runway is usable in this way

Landing Test

However, there is still one remaining issue. When continuously applying brakes with an FC3 or SFM plane, vibrations occur, leading to a crash. It seems to have started from DCS 2.9. Is there any solution to this problem?

I couldn't spawn the FC3 plane at a high altitude, so I spawned it on the ground and taxied it to the runway. However, for some reason, continuous braking leads to vibrations and eventually results in a crash.

FC3 Brake problem(time at 90sec)

I don't know what's wrong, but FC3 planes or SFM planes don't spawn properly as static objects when the altitude is raised. It would be great if this could be resolved.

Fantastic work tsuyopooh san. I love it. Would you be so kind to inform on your way of texturing your models please.

I have issues with mine. Are you creating the paint in 3D or do you use a different way ?

I share with you pictures of my work in progress on the Sinaï map.

Screenshot 2023-11-18 170328.png

Screen_231118_171703.png

15 hours ago, Faflynx said:

I have issues with mine. Are you creating the paint in 3D or do you use a different way ?

Thank you.

I'm not skilled at drawing, so I paste texture from material sites for each material. I paint with ArmorPaint.

Your Airfield is incredibly realistic. It's impressive.

Thank you tsuyopooh san, I'll give a look at armor paint.

Do you apply materials in Blender or outside Blender, and please how do yu "bake" the textures ? In Blender ?

I have tried to apply materials (PBR and non-PBR, with substance painter, ) but I don't know how to paint the white lines on the runway, and the yellow lines of the taxiways...

Watching your videos it seems so easy...

If you want the .edm Blender file I created to play with I can upload it to you.

Edited by Faflynx

4 hours ago, Faflynx said:

Do you apply materials in Blender or outside Blender, and please how do yu "bake" the textures ? In Blender ?

DCS reads EDM and uses the textures set there. It doesn't use the textures within Blender, so you are free to choose any method to create textures. Therefore, as long as you prepare the textures in a format that DCS can read, it should be sufficient.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear tsuyopooh san, could you explain to me how to use DCS native textures please.

This is something I don't understand.

Besides I decided to begin the same project from scratch, to be more precise with my 3D, and I've used more ground polys, and managed to work more precisely on the Z axis.

Edited by Faflynx
Error

On 12/8/2023 at 10:00 PM, Faflynx said:

This is something I don't understand.

Faflynx san,
-----

First steps to create a simple model:

• Create an armature
  • Create a mesh object
  • Parent mesh object relative to one bone oft the armature In object mode: select mesh object first, add armature to selection, go to pose mode, click on the bone you wish, press (strg+p) choose “Bone Relative”
  • assign a material to the mesh object. (this is just a dummy right now but it has to be done)
  • check UV-Map (a mesh object has to have a UV-Map)
  • Select mesh object. In Object Properties should be a EDM-Panel choose RenderNode as rendertype.
  • Adjust the material settings in the EDM-Panel for this mesh. (See Materials)
  • export: File->export->Export .EDM to export the model

-----
Please check GitHub.↑↑↑↑↑

Select a Node to set up simply, and generate a map in UV edit to correspond with the texture. Create a texture file based on that map.

スクリーンショット 2023-12-10 215823.png

In DCS, specify the texture loaded by Node as follows (highlighted in yellow underscores): For large objects, split the configuration and texture creation based on the texture size.

Actually, set the name to be loaded into one Node, export it with EDM Exporter, and visually inspect how the texture is displayed. To determine which part of the model corresponds to which part of the texture, refer to the UV edit display where the frames are visible, and paint the corresponding areas accordingly.

スクリーンショット 2023-12-10 220138.png

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I am new to Blender and creating model content. I am trying to follow the instructions you have all kindly provided. I am trying to create a UK Infantry solider, but when I am exporting my model i get the following error in Blender 4.0, 'Mesh' object has no attribute 'calc_normals'. Did you mean: 'flip_normals'? Please the attached screenshot. 

I have also downloaded https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3308885/ and get the same error when exporting for testing. 

Does anyone have any ideas please?

If anyone would like to have a crack at it or finish it off, I would be more than happy to share the files.

UK Infantry.jpg

Edited by Deathmechanic

10 minutes ago, Deathmechanic said:

Hi Everyone,

I am new to Blender and creating model content. I am trying to follow the instructions you have all kindly provided. I am trying to create a UK Infantry solider, but when I am exporting my model i get the following error in Blender 4.0, 'Mesh' object has no attribute 'calc_normals'. Did you mean: 'flip_normals'? Please the attached screenshot. 

I have also downloaded https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3308885/ and get the same error when exporting for testing. 

If anyone would like to have a crack at it or finish it off, I would be more than happy to share the files.

UK Infantry.jpg

FARP.jpg

2 hours ago, Deathmechanic said:

Hi Everyone,

UK Infantry.jpg

I've managed to export the EDM by downloading Blender 2.83. Massive learning curve. Now to check the texture and move the arms into position.

EDM.jpg

1 hour ago, Deathmechanic said:

I've managed to export the EDM by downloading Blender 2.83. Massive learning curve. Now to check the texture and move the arms into position.

EDM.jpg

You can use blender 3.6. Blender 4. Is not working

• Like 1

Hello gentlemen, I just finished my first object (at least the 1st one I'm proud enough to share), before finalizing my first object_"aerodrome".

I zipped it, to lay it here, please use as you wish, any feedback welcome. (as it is a personal mode use at your own risk, bla, bla, bla...)

I know it's not perfect, I tried to keep it simple and "visible"...

Everything was made with Blender 3.6.5, thanks again for Edm plugin Tobi.

Textures were from ambientCG, and all the baking and export processed by "SimpleBake" (only payware I used, but best per $ investment for Blender).

DDS textures with mipmaps where processed with Gimp.

I wish to thank Grajo for the pedagogic material, and tsuyopooh for his advices, as well as Hawkeye60 !

the file https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/hzjeyugwydiuradabpwan/Bigtop_sunshade.zip?rlkey=zavl8ka4yv0cr0x7tioijtuhx&dl=0

The inspiration Fabric-Structures-Hangars-Sunshades.jpg

The result Screen_240127_151130.pngScreen_240127_151119.png

• Like 2