Video Card Rumours

New GPUs aren't worth the money! My 1080 is still more than adequate for 4K DCS simming! Long may that continue!

Edited by Tiger-II

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

RTX 4090Ti isnt a rumor, 
But just in case anyone thought 600w a huge cooler and $2000 Pricetag wasnt enought for the RTX4090, 

There ya go.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

the 4090 doesn't consume 600W nominaly. It was the coolers that were engineered for that before final TDP was locked down. Mine will go to 430W peak when it's stressed, high refresh rates (G-sync turned off), ray tracing or just a demanding game like cyberpunk 77 will push the card that far. Enabling DLSS, G-sync and/or lock the framerates to like 100 you can bring that down to like 200-300W.

I have one and for my casual gaming like Mechwarrior online, I measured power and it was like 100W lol.

The big cooler has a blessing in disguise, because they are way overkill they are quiet even when stressed.

Edited by Pilotasso
  • Like 1

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

the Overclocked 4090s in CyberPunk do get close to 550w easily with RT and everything maxed.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

A few 4090 CAN go up to 600W if you set it up to do that (mine could). But it doesn't make sense as you won't get a lot more FPS above the standard 450W setting. The big coolers are a good thing. Because the 4090s run cool and quiet most of the time. If I stay at 1440p and don't go for SSAA, then my 4090 wouldn't go above 50°C and the fans won't spin most of the time.

But yeah, the pricetag was / is insane. And you really need a decent CPU / RAM Combo to hold it under fire. But if you have the right combo, the whole system kicks some a$$

Edited by FR4GGL3

14700K | MSI Z690 Carbon | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | 64GB DDR5 6000 G.Skill Ripjaws S5 | Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium HD on a Violectric V90 Headphone amp and Fostex TH600 Headphones | LG 42 C227LA & Samsung C32HG70 | TrackIR 5 | Virpil WarBRD with VFX Grip | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Pedals MK IV 

I only fool around the F-14 - and still having a hard time on it as there is so much to learn and so little time and talent. But I love it.

As you hinted above for regular gaming there is little point in overclocking a card that is already the fastest, except for experimental / Benchmarking reasons.

For your everyday gaming the challenge now is to undervolt to 7900XTX levels.

Disclaimer: I would like to make it clear that during my christmas GPU purchase, if I had my way I would have gotten the 7900XTX from a partner brand that doesn't do alot of coil whine. However AMD had another trainwreck of a launch, the only card that was actually in stock and not as heavily overpriced was the ROG strix 4090 (sounds incredible but I have proof 😆). So that's the one I picked up. Kinda stings that I couldn't make an all red build but at least I gotten the fastest card with everything working as intended out of the box.

• Like 2

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

7 hours ago, Pilotasso said:

As you hinted above for regular gaming there is little point in overclocking a card that is already the fastest, except for experimental / Benchmarking reasons.

For your everyday gaming the challenge now is to undervolt to 7900XTX levels.

Erm... no Sir, no need to undervolt it to "7900XTX levels" as it doesn't consume more. The 450W are max that I can see in Benchmarks or in Cyberpunkt 2077.

If I play somewhat low demanding games like Battlefield 5, the card won't ask for more then ~150-170W. In DCS it is even lower as far as I remember - as long as I don't switch on SSAA.

You have to think the other way round. If you need it, you can go where the 7900xtx can't go. If you don't need it, the 4090 won't ask for more what she really needs. It is really efficient. You won't expect that, but it is.

Edited by FR4GGL3

14700K | MSI Z690 Carbon | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC | 64GB DDR5 6000 G.Skill Ripjaws S5 | Creative SoundBlaster X-FI Titanium HD on a Violectric V90 Headphone amp and Fostex TH600 Headphones | LG 42 C227LA & Samsung C32HG70 | TrackIR 5 | Virpil WarBRD with VFX Grip | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle | VKB T-Rudder Pedals MK IV 

I only fool around the F-14 - and still having a hard time on it as there is so much to learn and so little time and talent. But I love it.

This recent vid from Frame Chasers was an amusing one (and maybe not too far-fetched)...

EDIT: warning! - explicit language

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 1

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

13 hours ago, LucShep said:

This recent vid from Frame Chasers was an amusing one (and maybe not too far-fetched)...

EDIT: warning! - explicit language

I want to know what he put in his fruit punch, cause it's trippin'.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2022 at 3:49 PM, AngleOff66 said:

I thought that this was interesting.  The card seems to perform well in VR in Linux?  If so, someone at AMD needs to give their head a shake.

Link shows VR performance charts in Linux.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/zwyton/proof_7900xtx_vr_issues_are_due_to_a_driver/?sort=new

It all depends on how the game manufacturers developed their engines, some favour Nvidia, some AMD and it's pretty much the same for the platform, especially if you want to play in VR, support is rather mediocre to say the least, with the choice between two evils, STEAM or Microsoft Mixed Reality, the rest of peripheral apps developers got the crumbs...

As for the hotspot issue... I tried IN VAIN to get a reference card, I wonder how people managed to purchase them, but what I know is that no manufacturer in their right mind are going to use the AMD reference cooler design, some are still working on theirs (MSI for example), others applied known technologies because they work like Saphire and their Vapor X.

At the end of the day I was lucky not to be able to purchase a ref card and so I proceeded to research thermal performances and I chosed the Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB.

It can run as cool as the ref card without the hot spot or cooler depending on the BIOS used.

Thermals.png

Vapor-X.jpg

And so we see a LOT of AMD bashing ranging from "AMD are in trouble" to "their cards have a hotspot", all of it with mostly ref cards which were released less than a month ago...

Looks like some haven't swallowed the Nvidia power connectors things and think it's payback time...

What I can say about AMD is that their launch campaign was largely overdone, they made claims they couldn't live with at least not with the Referenmce cards and straight of the box drivers, they need to put their house in order, fast. But I'm certainly don't regret my choice, I wanted a 4K GPU less expensive than a 4090 and I got it.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

4 hours ago, Thinder said:

And so we see a LOT of AMD bashing ranging from "AMD are in trouble" to "their cards have a hotspot", all of it with mostly ref cards which were released less than a month ago...

AMD and their reference cards from OEM's, the so called MBA (Made By AMD) types, that all use the same vapor chamber cooler design on a common board, have at least for certain batches a heavy hotspot problem that leads to temperature differences of about 50K within the board between medium core temperatures and a hotspot that gets over 110°C within a short time of running at high loads. That not only lets the cooling fans run at crying loud 100% but also leads to throttle down the card to protect itself, else it would increase temperature up to the melting point because the vapor chamber seems to fail completely when reaching a certain temperature.

The German Tech Blogger Roman der8auer Hartung has done some very good research on that matter recently. And meanwhile AMD itself has stated that there is a problem and tells customers that have this hot spot issue to RMA their cards.

The video is only in German but if one uses automatic translation you may get what he says:

That has nothing to do with AMD bashing or some revenge claims from NV fanboys but it shows a serious issue that renders all cards that have this fault rather obsolete - and its the same for the 7900XT and the 7900XTX as well.

This generation of graphics cards, be it NV with the misdesigned 12VHPWR and cracy prices and AMD with its troublesome driver release plus this new issue, shows some very bad habits of todays hightech industry: demanding luxury prices for products that couldn't even meet basic standards in industry design and quality control. If that's the way PC computing for gaming takes we don't look at a very bright future - and that hits our hobby flight simulation as well, as its a very demanding kind of gaming that asks permantly for increased PC performance.

Edited by schmiefel
  • Like 2

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

2 hours ago, schmiefel said:

AMD and their reference cards from OEM's, the so called MBA (Made By AMD) types, that all use the same vapor chamber cooler design on a common board, have at least for certain batches a heavy hotspot problem that leads to temperature differences of about 50K within the board between medium core temperatures and a hotspot that gets over 110°C within a short time of running at high loads. That not only lets the cooling fans run at crying loud 100% but also leads to throttle down the card to protect itself, else it would increase temperature up to the melting point because the vapor chamber seems to fail completely when reaching a certain temperature.

The German Tech Blogger Roman der8auer Hartung has done some very good research on that matter recently. And meanwhile AMD itself has stated that there is a problem and tells customers that have this hot spot issue to RMA their cards.

The video is only in German but if one uses automatic translation you may get what he says:

That has nothing to do with AMD bashing or some revenge claims from NV fanboys but it shows a serious issue that renders all cards that have this fault rather obsolete - and its the same for the 7900XT and the 7900XTX as well.

This generation of graphics cards, be it NV with the misdesigned 12VHPWR and cracy prices and AMD with its troublesome driver release plus this new issue, shows some very bad habits of todays hightech industry: demanding luxury prices for products that couldn't even meet basic standards in industry design and quality control. If that's the way PC computing for gaming takes we don't look at a very bright future - and that hits our hobby flight simulation as well, as its a very demanding kind of gaming that asks permantly for increased PC performance.

Hang on a mn... This clown (Blogger Roman der8auer Hartung) "investigate" cards which are quasi prototypes, a bad batch, and can't help himself mentioning Nvidia being mocked in the process, doesn't tell which cards he used for his "demonstration" and of course this has nothing to do with AMD bashing?

Sorry he should have done like the rest of us, his home work and when one mentions very bad habits, remind us how many over-priced 4090 have caught fire?

Mate, if you need gurus like him, no wonder this forum is full of B.S and fanboys...

And something else, those AMD GPU already run all over their Nvidia equivalents at 4K so calling them overpriced is a little bit of the usual mediocre... AMD bashing.

7900XTX prices

nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090 price

And just a little reminder, the cheapest 4090 is £450 more expensive than my Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB for an average advantage of 25 FPS, £18 per frame, talk about being overpriced...

Enjoy.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

6 minutes ago, Thinder said:

This clown (Blogger Roman der8auer Hartung) "investigate" cards which are quasi prototypes

oh really - man you really should check your wordings - and besides: what you stated would mean that AMD and its OEMs are shipping 'prototypes' out to their customers, because he has got several retail cards from his followers (no press samples that may be from prototype or early batches) that had shown that exact problem ... well, if that's the case (maybe it is that way) then I am really done with AMD... Man, you are doing (not) a great job for promoting AMD to us customers. maybe NV should hire you 🤣 /s

Edited by schmiefel
  • Like 2

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

24 minutes ago, schmiefel said:

oh really - man you really should check your wordings - and besides: what you stated would mean that AMD and its OEMs are shipping 'prototypes' out to their customers, because he has got several retail cards from his followers (no press samples that may be from prototype or early batches) that had shown that exact problem ...

Because GPU rushed out for sale a few days after the release date using the exact same reference cooler design while all other manufacturers cards are still not available today are not prototypes? Did you have a look at the links I provided? NONE of the manufacturers has actually a GPU available today, they all have been busy designing their own cooling, that's what prototyping means.

well, if that's the case (maybe it is that way) then I am really done with AMD... Man, you are doing (not) a great job for promoting AMD to us customers. maybe NV should hire you 🤣 /s

Good ridance and don't forget to write... elsewhere. And please don't take your religion and fanboyism for a norm, it isn't, I do my home work before spending my dosh or calling a GPU overpriced, at £18 per frame, you're the one who needs a dictionary...

Oh I forgot, my Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 20GB runs as cool as the reference card without hot spot and even cooler depending on BIOS used, that's while running all over the Nvidia equivalent...

Why I didn't buy an Nvidia GPU...

Edited by Thinder

On 1/3/2023 at 11:46 AM, Thinder said:

Because GPU rushed out for sale a few days after the release date using the exact same reference cooler design while all other manufacturers cards are still not available today are not prototypes? Did you have a look at the links I provided? NONE of the manufacturers has actually a GPU available today, they all have been busy designing their own cooling, that's what prototyping means.

Good ridance and don't forget to write... elsewhere. And please don't take your religion and fanboyism for a norm, it isn't, I do my home work before spending my dosh or calling a GPU overpriced, at £18 per frame, you're the one who needs a dictionary...

Oh I forgot, my Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 20GB runs as cool as the reference card without hot spot and even cooler depending on BIOS used, that's while running all over the Nvidia equivalent...

Why I didn't buy an Nvidia GPU...

OMG... 🤦‍♂️

On 1/3/2023 at 11:24 AM, Thinder said:

Hang on a mn... This clown (Blogger Roman der8auer Hartung) "investigate" cards which are quasi prototypes, a bad batch, and can't help himself mentioning Nvidia being mocked in the process, doesn't tell which cards he used for his "demonstration" and of course this has nothing to do with AMD bashing?

Sorry he should have done like the rest of us, his home work and when one mentions very bad habits, remind us how many over-priced 4090 have caught fire?

Mate, if you need gurus like him, no wonder this forum is full of B.S and fanboys...

And something else, those AMD GPU already run all over their Nvidia equivalents at 4K so calling them overpriced is a little bit of the usual mediocre... AMD bashing.

7900XTX prices

nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090 price

And just a little reminder, the cheapest 4090 is £450 more expensive than my Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB for an average advantage of 25 FPS, £18 per frame, talk about being overpriced...

Enjoy.

Roman Hartung aka "der8auer" is a "clown"?? 😐 Really?
...one of the most proficient overclockers and hardware knowledged persons on the planet, directly co-assisting brands for products that we all use?

What's next, Vince Lucido aka "Kingpin" is a clown?? 🙄

Seriously, who are you? 🤨 No, really... WHO ARE YOU? 

Comparing RX7900XTX prices with RTX3090 prices?   LOL 😏 ...Troll much?
Fun fact, I bought an RTX3090 (and a FTW Ultra at that) just a couple months ago for less than 1/2 (half!!) of the price that you pay for your overpriced 7900XTX Nitro+, when performance difference is about 23%. 😂 Or less after an undervolt, giving it a wee bit more performance and nearly 100W less consumption (compared to factory default's). 🤣
BTW, that RX7900XTX Nitro+ is an AIB model that sells for 1400,00+ Euros. The hilarious bit (that is very likely going over your head) is that's the same price of an RTX4080 - of which every single model is utterly excelent (if overpriced as well), contrary to what you can say about the RX7900XTX.
The point of an RX7900XTX instead of an RTX4080 is that the former is a cheaper alternative to the latter, but not if at close or same price (unless it's a gullible AMD fanboy?!). 

Who in his right mind would get into these forums to derail others with utter BS, write such nonsense? 🤦‍♂️ (and prefering instead to take clickbait 'tubers as references! OMG)
Who in his right mind pretends to know stuff, then buys an RX7900XTX Nitro+ when instead has available RTX4080 models that are, matter of fact, a superior product (far better drivers, therefore better games support and features, better cooling and temps, better memory (GDDR6X), better construction, better power consumption, better overclocking, far bigger userbase and shared knowledge) at, pretty much, the same price? ...it's beyond belief.... 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ *collective facepalm*

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 2

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

1 hour ago, LucShep said:

OMG... 🤦‍♂️

Mate, I don't need Youtube gurus to tell me half the truth come up with this B.S and hide the rest of it. So I'll reiterate. CLOWN.

And I am someone who check infos, does his home work, don't take youtube videos for granted, this way I can spare me thousand of pounds and if I want a proper information I know where to find it, and it's rarely where you go fetch.

Edited by Thinder

6 hours ago, schmiefel said:

And He just posted this morning the vapor chamber cut down:

• Like 1

AMD and their reference cards from OEM's, the so called MBA (Made By AMD)...

What was I saying???

reference cards...

Now, today, if you care checking, there is only 3 out of 15 cards available from a company like Overckockers, which says a lot considering the launch date was the 13th, how many of those are using the reference card cooler design??? Let me guess. AMD in big trouble is NOISE, most manufacturers won't use this cooler design.

And they make a living with videos like these? I wonder if he made so much noise about the Nvidia 4090 catching fire, that's why I am not into this religion or drug depending your level of addiction to Youtube videos.

On 1/3/2023 at 4:06 PM, Thinder said:

What was I saying???

reference cards...

Now, today, if you care checking, there is only 3 out of 15 cards available from a company like Overckockers, which says a lot considering the launch date was the 13th, how many of those are using the reference card cooler design??? Let me guess. AMD in big trouble is NOISE, most manufacturers won't use this cooler design.

And they make a living with videos like these? I wonder if he made so much noise about the Nvidia 4090 catching fire, that's why I am not into this religion or drug depending your level of addiction to Youtube videos.

Please stop.
No, it's you not understanding the product, its volume of production and respective sales, the customer target, the competicion, and the potencial dimension of this issue.

1) Overclockers is ONE hardware shop worldwide among hundreds of thousands (considering online businesses along with brick-and-mortar stores).
So, no, they're not representative of anything.

2) This same reference design is provided not just by AMD themselves, but also by PowerColor, Sapphire, XFX, AsRock, Asus and Gigabyte. Only MSI is not selling it. 
The problem is humongous because all these models of same reference design are the most important, they're the bulk of production and sales/profit of AMD's RX7900XTXs.
The AIB models with custom coolers, boards and powerstages are better products but less lucrative, not expected to have as many sold, and why production of these is smaller, as they're necessarily more expensive and in-line with the prices of RTX4080 reference based models - the aimed competitor. The "better value" marketing argument no longer works there (foot, meet mouth), so most of the attention is on models using this reference design sold by all these brands. And why this issue is kind of a big deal.

3) Considering previous points, perceived image is important and damage is already being made to the product, even if turns out to be a simple bad batch. And if it turns out to be more than that (oh boy!), then we could be talking about tens (hundreds?) of thousands of GPUs with the problem, likely requiring RMA - so far denied (sheer incompetence, lack of QC, and anti-consumerism of AMD? I think so). Otherwise, users outrageing on the internet and on the stores by the hundreds, if not thousands, may appear.
It could become devastating enough for logistics, costs, public image and brand reputation, even for big companies like NVIDIA (remember the RTX4090's 12pin plug cable issue - which the RTX4080 does not suffer from), imagine that with a far smaller one like AMD.

4) Again, Roman Hartung aka "der8auer" is anything but a "clown" as you said above (FFS.. 🤦‍♂️). Once again, he's providing public service (outstanding, IMO), giving us and also the manufacturers a heads-up with proof of "lower quality and/or issues" on expensive hardware products, through his own research. 

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 5

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, LucShep said:

Please stop.

Indeed. I would give up trying to explain. He is trolling every informative graphics card and hardware thread. First time I have put someone on an ignore list.

I don't give a monkeys about team green or team red or whatever, I just want the best experience for DCS and these forums provide a wealth of constructive information.

• Like 5

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

5 hours ago, LucShep said:

OMG... 🤦‍♂️

...one of the most proficient overclockers and hardware knowledged persons on the planet, directly co-assisting brands for products that we all use?

What's next, Vince Lucido aka "Kingpin" is a clown?? 🙄

Seriously, who are you? 🤨 No, really... WHO ARE YOU? 

Comparing RX7900XTX prices with RTX3090 prices?   LOL 😏 ...Troll much?
Fun fact, I bought an RTX3090 (and a FTW Ultra at that) just a couple months ago for less than 1/2 (half!!) of the price that you pay for your overpriced 7900XTX Nitro+, when performance difference is about 25%. 😂 More so after an undervolt, giving it a wee bit more performance and nearly 100W less consumption (compared to factory default's). 🤣
BTW, that RX7900XTX Nitro+ is an AIB model that sells for 1400,00+ Euros. The hilarious bit (that is very likely going over your head) is that's the same price of an RTX4080 - of which every single model is utterly excelent (if overpriced as well), contrary to what you can say about the RX7900XTX.
The point of an RX7900XTX instead of an RTX4080 is that the former is a cheaper alternative to the latter, but not if at close or same price (unless it's a gullible AMD fanboy?!). 

Who in his right mind would get into these forums to derail others with utter BS, write such nonsense? 🤦‍♂️ (and prefering instead to take clickbait 'tubers as references! OMG)
Who in his right mind pretends to know stuff, then buys an RX7900XTX Nitro+ when instead has available RTX4080 models that are, matter of fact, a superior product (far better drivers, therefore better games support and features, better cooling and temps, better memory (GDDR6X), better construction, better power consumption, better overclocking, far bigger userbase and shared knowledge) at, pretty much, the same price? ...it's beyond belief.... 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ *collective facepalm*

I missed this, but:

der8auer, isn't a "blogger" he's well known for developing tools for overclocking and is highly respected in the hardware community,
in his video for "AMD being in trouble" he did note that Cards A,B,C,D were purchased directly from consumers that reached out to him with the problems.

There is an issue with the cards, but it's not a global issue, and is likely a bad batch of vapor chambers.

AMD and nVidia both would refuse RMA's until they had enough information, AMD was still asking for serial numbers of all the affected cards, 

it's not an AMD Issue, as nVidia does the same thing, they allow Hardware journalists to collect information and test products to aid in finding the solution,

you really think derbauer, jay, kingpin etc don't all directly communicate with Intel, AMD or nVidia directly?

Shoot, ME, Skate Zilla, communicates with them directly, and I'm just a lowly Avg everyday gamer, granted 10 years ago that was not the case, but alas, that's not the point,

To verbally dis-credit someone like that, is a bit extreme.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Thinder said:

Good ridance and don't forget to write... elsewhere.

Who are you to advise me writing elsewhere? Do you really think you're in that position.? Really?

8 hours ago, Thinder said:

And please don't take your religion and fanboyism for a norm, it isn't, I do my home work before spending my dosh

Maybe you should first check my signature before calling me out for fanboyism.

3 hours ago, Thinder said:

What was I saying???

reference cards...

No you didn't, but you 'accused' AMD and it's OEMs to ship prototype designs out to their customers. In many countries this would be clearly breaking some laws without a clear and present note about that fact. Thin ice accusing some billion Dollar companies braking the law in such a way that woul be near betraying their customers. If I would be you I would stop here and now with your kind of arguments.

Besides: I was working for about 15 years in the IT media business as a qualified editor and editor in chief for several well known German IT and PC magazines. I know how to check informations professional and when there is a cause for digging deeper and do cross checks. What's your profession in that matter besides calling out others to be just uninformed fanboys?

Edited by schmiefel
  • Like 1

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Baldrick33 said:

Indeed. I would give up trying to explain. He is trolling every informative graphics card and hardware thread. First time I have put someone on an ignore list.

I don't give a monkeys about team green or team red or whatever, I just want the best experience for DCS and these forums provide a wealth of constructive information.

Excue ME. Where is the trolling here?

Since when are Nvidia in "BIG TROUBLE after a multitude of their £1700+ elite cards caught fire?

You guys need to quit the booze.

AGAIN: I was R.I.G.H.T, he used reference cards to imply in the title and in the videos that all AMD cards were designed the same way or used the reference cooler design.

THIS IS CALLED DISINFORMATION.

"AMD IN BIG TROUBLE" "WILL LOSE MARKET SHARE" "THEIR CARDS WILL CATCH FIRE"

Not gonna happen. Time for a change of Pampers.

4 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

I missed this, but:

der8auer, isn't a "blogger" he's well known for developing tools for overclocking and is highly respected in the hardware community,

Was he born when I upgraded my Pentium II?

I call a con a con, and if it doesn't suit your religion, tough, he needs more fanboyz for his living swallowing sensational sticky titles and half truth, that's good for your bunch of "believers" but I don't get hypnotized by mediocrity like this video...

NOW QUESTIONS: How many manufacturers who have released their cards in the UK only recently (mostly today) are using the reference cooler design?

ANSWER IS ZERO.

So HOW is a bunch of reference cards going to get AMD in big trouble exactly? And of course, AMD mocking Nvidia was the focuse of his attention, he forgot to say that EVERYONE was mocking Nvidia, that's enough to unmask his bias and fanboyism, looks like your collective motivation too, so hallf truth, "forgotten" facts, media manipulation, just like it became a fashion lately...

Question 3. Are you using your brain before posting or just floating in a remain of X-Masss fog and vapor?  Because either you find a sadistic pleasure in sharing mediocrity for information or you juste needs a crash course in youtubing self promoting.