[REPORTED]Rocket recoil not modeled

Taz1004

Not sure if this will be fixed as I see this effect in really old YouTube videos but I'll report anyway.

With pitch hold autopilot, when you fire rockets, the nose pitch up. It is more apparent when you fire in salvo. But when you fire with flight director on, or pitch hold off, nose is steady when you fire rockets. I'm pretty sure this should be reversed.

I believe this is because recoil compensation is modeled into the autopilot but no recoil is actually modeled into the rockets. I can see this in the FMoptions.lua

--параметры компенсации отдачи: recoil compensation parameters

AP_K_GunYaw = 2.0;

AP_K_GunPitch = 0.05;

AP_K_GunSlowYaw = 0.04;

AP_K_GunSlowPitch = 0.005;

AP_K_RocketYaw = 0;

AP_K_RocketPitch = 3.0;

Cannons however works as intended. Recoil is compensated with autopilot holds on and the chopper rotates with them off. So I hope it is fairly easy to implement recoil into the rockets.

Edited by Taz1004

It's quite possible that recoil has been removed from the rockets intentionally, and they simply forgot to adjust the autopilot accordingly.

There was some debate whether rockets should push back the plane or not.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Rockets don't have any recoil effect whatsoever. IRL.

• Like 1

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Except in so far as they suddenly direct a jet of extremely high speed gas against all the forward surfaces of the aircraft, and can cause enough turbulence to flame-out the engines.

That effect can throw the aircraft around in yaw and pitch, and in the other thread on the same subject there are videos demonstrating that.

Other than that, no - no recoil.

Cheers.

There is little to no effect of rockets on the flight properties due to recoil. This is because the back of the rocket tubes are open. The rocket thrust pushes against the retention tang inside the tube until tube until it’s overcome, and releases the rocket to fly from the tube.

The reason too many rockets fired at once can cause engine flameout is because the exhaust gasses can starve the engines of oxygen when they are present in too high of volume. It has little to do with the rockets’ aerodynamic affect on the engines.

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

There's a post somewhere from Chizh with a document E.D. were prepared to take as evidence, saying that the flame out results from turbulence over the engine intakes, not ingesting gasses (though that was why Su-25's were forbidden to use S-24s)

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
Here's hoping 'AP_K_RocketPitch = 0.0;' gets implemented in FMOptions.lua so we don't have to manually edit it to 0.0 going forward.

Someone at ED took a look at FMOptions file it looks like. The file has been changed. Someone removed "recoil compensation parameters" from line 23. But didn't bother changing the RocketPitch compensation value itself. Wonder why.

• ED Team

Hi all

this is reported to the team but I have no news for you yet.

thank you

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
8 hours ago, audax said:

It's been a while, but I am sure there is a good reason to delay this fix. Still, it would be nice if this issue could be resolved in the next 2 years 🙂

You also believe in storks carrying babies and delivering them to parents, don't you? 😂

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"

5 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

You also believe in storks carrying babies and delivering them to parents, don't you? 😂

I will never doubt ED on their own forums and only assume the best. I am very glad that this thread was not already closed with "correct-as-is" 🙂

Good morning audax,

"Never" is a cussed long time... 🙈

My comments are based on my experience with DCS from the very beginning. I better point my doubts out here in this forum than to blame ED's work (where it is  reasonable) outside this forum - which I deem correct. 🤔

Of course, you might prefer a more anxious wait-and-see attitude, that's O.K., but to answer with Murtaugh's words "I'm too old for this s***". 😉 

P.S.: Please note, I hope -as you do- that ED will adress the BS2 problem(s) and communicate it (them), too. 👍

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"

• 6 months later...

This is "pompaj". It was recently implemented. 
The gases from the rockets, get into the air intake of the engine. The engine runs out of oxygen and shuts down. A speed of over 100 km/h must be observed in order to launch the rockets. Especially the X-25. And the recoil from firing, automatically compensated by on-board systems.

Edited by Vital061270
  • Thanks 1

ZAR_Magadan