2080Ti vs RTX 3090 for VR

Sn8ke

May be it is a blessing that I still haven’t got my 3090. Might as well sit out until December. I can wait.

Yeah,

I'm curious are there any actual real/detailed comparisons for the 3090 vs the 6900?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

That’s the thing... I’m waiting to here why I should consider waiting an extra month for my new system, and I haven’t seen one yet.

I waited all year for 3090 with the money saved. I then decided to wait one more month for 5950x.

The 24GB of video RAM versus 16GB has to be a VR advantage for 3090.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Speed, all I can say for now is that the latest AMD parts are the real deal. Anything more and I risk attracting the attention of nefarious individuals who attended law school to make money off other people's mistakes or pain.

roger that

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

It seems to me that this is a financial discussion as usual. That is, bangs for your buck type thing. Nothing I’ve seen suggests a hike in performance between the 6900 and 3090, it’s more about the cost difference.

I might be wrong, of course!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I appreciate your trying to toe the line here while still trying to inform us. However, I think I’ll stick with 3090. I’ve waited long enough, and can’t keep chasing the next thing.

However, when tax time comes around, if 6900xt has proven to be a lot better, I may consider picking one up. I’ll just have to weight cost/benefits at that time.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Regarding pricing, it might be attractive in the US, but in EU I expect around +30% tax, and non-reference vendor margins plus the enormous demand, I think the price will be on par with Nvidia's, because why the hell not... They know people are impatient and will buy anyway.

Also don't forget that Nvidia has DLSS and VRSS, to which AMD didn't answer yet. VRSS is nice, applying variable msaa in the center of the image if there's headroom, implemented on a driver level without the need for developers to adapt. Would be nice in DCS where there's almost always some headroom because I'm mostly CPU bound :P

For non-DCS games that utilize ray tracing and DLSS, I believe NVIDIA still has the edge. I also like their in-game filter option that allows you to adjust sharpening, saturation, etc. I might still stick with NVIDIA for this gen but I think I’ll also wait to see reviews of AMD GPUs.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I appreciate your trying to toe the line here while still trying to inform us. However, I think I’ll stick with 3090. I’ve waited long enough, and can’t keep chasing the next thing.

However, when tax time comes around, if 6900xt has proven to be a lot better, I may consider picking one up. I’ll just have to weight cost/benefits at that time.

That is how I am currently thinking as well. Have my name in the que for EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, and plan on waiting for my turn to order comes up.

Don't know if that will be in a week, a month, or longer. Plus I really would like to stick with EVGA.

Course now if they were to lower the price a little I would not mind lol, but don't see them doing that anytime in the near future. No one can even meet demand yet.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Full AMD system with Ryzen 5XXX processor, X570 board with testing BIOS and RX 6900 XT.

Once the 6900 XT is released to the public (initial offering Dec 8th), I suspect the price of the 3090 will begin dropping rapidly. The RTX 3080 is also likely going to drop in price fairly quickly. AMD stepped up to the plate this time "bigly" as a combover wearing narcissist might say.

Anyone on the fence about purchasing AMD versus Intel and Nvidia, I would urge just waiting it out until after Christmas. Competition is a good thing and we will finally have to viable alternatives driving prices down if I am not mistaken.

Thanks a lot for this. I am one of the few sitting on the fence so to speak. I have a RTX2060 which has served me great (and still does in 2d) but the VR performance is letting me down. I will probably go for the 6800XT whenever they get here.

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

I just updated my rig from Asus ROG Strix 2080ti OC to a Asus ROG Strix 3090 OC.

No settings changed, just dropped the 3090 in. didnt even clean up och change the Nvidia drivers.

I did run this benchmark: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3309507/

Before: 45 fps average with my DCS gaming settings.

After : 72 fps avarage with the same settings.

Thats a 58% increase in FPS with my current settings together with the Reverb Pro.

Curious to see how it can speed up the fps with my new Pimax 8KX.

• Like 2

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

For VR minumum FPS is the metric you should be looking at. Average FPS is probably a better metric for 2d gaming.

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Minimum FPS in DCS is largely due to CPU bottlenecking, so it would be the same with various GPUs— not a good way to evaluate new GPUs.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Minimum FPS in DCS is largely due to CPU bottlenecking, so it would be the same with various GPUs— not a good way to evaluate new GPUs.

Well yeah, that is assuming the CPU is the bottleneck in all the cases. I was also thinking along the lines as more of a whole system metric for VR, not just when evaluating new GPUs.

For VR minumum FPS is the metric you should be looking at. Average FPS is probably a better metric for 2d gaming.

I look for minumum fps when tuning the system. This was a short test to just follow the benchmark from another thread(posted there as well).

Fpsvr doesnt give the minumum fps but it gives maxmimum frame time.

Old 2080Ti OC: 99.9th percentile: >30 ms ( = less than 33.3fps)

New 3090 OC: 99.9th percentile: 18.1 ms ( = 55.25fps)

This means the 3090 have a 76.5% higher minimum FPS with my settings in DCS for the reverb.

Nope, I wasnt CPU bound at all, at least not before the change. When gaming I never see the CPU frame time go above the GPU frame time.

In the pictures below we have the frame times for CPU, GPU and also the usage for CPU and GPU during the actual benchmarks. You can also see the max CPU thread use( the load of the most stressed core).

Its clear that the CPU frame times stays well below the GPU frame times, and its also clear that during the most of the time the CPU its was stressed less than the GPU lowest stress. CPU mainly about 43% ont the most stressed core and the GPU 75% for 2080ti.

We can also see that while the CPU got more stressed with the 3090 it still is below the GPU.

With the 3090 the CPU 99 percentile is 13.6ms(= 73.5fps) the CPU is 17.7ms( = 56.5fps).

In this benchmark my computer is not CPU bottlenecked at all, not even with the 3090.

(For that part, when doing multiplayer Im often the server and with 5-6 other players and 5-10 AI aircrafts and 5-10 ground AI my CPU isnt still bottlenecking)

fpsvr-RTX2080ti.thumb.png.010e487af6036c3634155fe2a278a04b.png

fpsvr-RTX3090.thumb.png.c348580195793cddf5f908d55839c9d2.png

• Like 1

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Well yeah, that is assuming the CPU is the bottleneck in all the cases. I was also thinking along the lines as more of a whole system metric for VR, not just when evaluating new GPUs.

A lot of people think that this is the case for everyone. For me it isnt. I dont know how other people configure their computers, or how they do their setups. (I don't even know if some of these actually run a Celeron 300mhz from the late millenium :-) just joking...)

I know people run on servers that loads the CPU more than it can take. But this doesnt mean that DCS is always CPOU bound. For me DCs is more or less GPU bound 99.99% of the time, at least it was with my overclocked 2080ti OC, but one could always hope to get CPU bound with the 3090 because this would mean that my GPU can eat all the power my 9900KS can deliver, and then I know I have one of the best DCS rigs there is, for now.

Just tried to fly on the most populated open server i found, aerobatics online kaukasus, was 54 players online (out of 75). Flew about 20 min on that server still, mostly, the CPU frame time was slightly lower than the GPU frame time.

Sometime the frame times where about the same( this wasnt the case before with the 2080ti when the GPU always produced higher numbers).

Thanks @Gunnars Driver some actually very useful data!

Yes, I think so. Have been looking around because I was curious but now I know :-)

Time to see how it performs with my 8KX.

No Harlikwin, you will not see any detailed info until Dec 8th when the NDAs release.

Rogue, you just happen to be purchasing your system as viable competition has arisen. One really nice thing about the 6900 XT is the way in which it "ghosts". I find it easier in VR to see a WW2 fighter than I do with DCS + Nvidia code. I have not had a chance to pin it down yet but "it appears" that Big Navi works better with Windows Mixed Reality than Nvidia. Can't say more now but that is my initial impression.

Don't tease me :) Do some tests :)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

No Harlikwin, you will not see any detailed info until Dec 8th when the NDAs release.

Rogue, you just happen to be purchasing your system as viable competition has arisen. One really nice thing about the 6900 XT is the way in which it "ghosts". I find it easier in VR to see a WW2 fighter than I do with DCS + Nvidia code. I have not had a chance to pin it down yet but "it appears" that Big Navi works better with Windows Mixed Reality than Nvidia. Can't say more now but that is my initial impression.

Spotting is a HUGE issue for me right now! I currently have a 7700k and 2080ti with index vr, my mate has the same headset and spots thing way befoee i do! Drives me nuts haha. Ps you coukd always make an alt and pm me a bit of info to help me decide between 3080 6800xt or 6900xt for dcs in vr haha. Im building a brand new sytem with either a 5800x or 5900x and will wc and oc both the cpu and gpu, im leaning towards amd for the sam and cost, it appears theres more oc headroom with amd too

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

Spotting is a HUGE issue for me right now! I currently have a 7700k and 2080ti with index vr, my mate has the same headset and spots thing way befoee i do! Drives me nuts haha. Ps you coukd always make an alt and pm me a bit of info to help me decide between 3080 6800xt or 6900xt for dcs in vr haha. Im building a brand new sytem with either a 5800x or 5900x and will wc and oc both the cpu and gpu, im leaning towards amd for the sam and cost, it appears theres more oc headroom with amd too

Do you have the visibility range in DCS set to ultra ?

Otherwise, it could depend on either your Supersampling setting, the personal ability to detect/spot or the difference between the eye sight sharpness ?

Do you have the visibility range in DCS set to ultra ?

Otherwise, it could depend on either your Supersampling setting, the personal ability to detect/spot or the difference between the eye sight sharpness ?

No high iiirc, 3rd 1 from best.

what does that actually affect? I use the same settings as my mate with the same headset, my eyes are shit but i have lenses which alledgedly makes my sight slightly better than 2020

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

No high iiirc, 3rd 1 from best.

what does that actually affect? I use the same settings as my mate with the same headset, my eyes are shit but i have lenses which alledgedly makes my sight slightly better than 2020

Try set the visib range to at least high or ultra. Might take a hit on fps, but I think it'll work.

The eye seight value 20/20 is at longer range, are you sure you se very sharp at let say 1,5 to 2 m?

I have >20/20 at range(airforce pilot) but due to age the close visual is degraded so I use reading glasses to read. With Oculus Rift and HP Reverb I see very sharp but recently I got the Pimax 8KX which has the focal length somewhere below 1m. I need reading glasses in these to see sharp. Without it is quite blurry. The focal distance in the Index is probably more then in the Pimax, and I would guess about 2m, thats the reason to check how sharp you se at 2m.

I just updated my rig from Asus ROG Strix 2080ti OC to a Asus ROG Strix 3090 OC.

No settings changed, just dropped the 3090 in. didnt even clean up och change the Nvidia drivers.

I did run this benchmark: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3309507/

Before: 45 fps average with my DCS gaming settings.

After : 72 fps avarage with the same settings.

Thats a 58% increase in FPS with my current settings together with the Reverb Pro.

Curious to see how it can speed up the fps with my new Pimax 8KX.

Hey, this is actually useful information. I wish we could pin it or something.

No one is expecting new 3080 or 3090 owners to go all Gamer's Nexus and make a video with graphs and charts. Just establish a simple baseline and post before and after numbers. Percent change formula is [(new - old / old) * 100] for those that aren't aware.

Have we figured out a way to properly compare VRAM allocation, quantity, quality, etc? i.e. Is the performance bump from more CUDA cores and improved uArch, or does the memory help too?

And this isn't me being pedantic guys. I was just waiting for the 3090 Kinpin to come out, but seeing all this competition is very exciting. All these new CPUs and GPUs are going to have very close performance in their respective price range. Since none of the reputable Youtube benchmarkers test DCS we have to do the best we can ourselves. Just some quick back of the envelope math it would take a $10,000+ budget to test all the new CPU/GPU combos properly. Without any definitive data things tend to devolve into the usual speculative debates with the usual fanboyism thrown in. Me, I like data. This forum is better than a lot of PC related forums as far a fanboyism goes, I hope it stays that way.

Given the supply/demand/COVID issues I would be very patient and don't get your heart too set on a new build this NOV/DEC. Just get what parts you can on sale. It's looking like 1st quarter 2021 will be better in terms of prices and consumer choice. I'm sure Intel, AMD, and Nvidia want to ship as much as they can this build season but getting the newest shiniest CPU or GPU for Christmas might be difficult.