still about shadows

as you can see in that SimHQ preview video, the swirling blades do not cast shadows on ground or airframes or anything else. it is what I can't accept.

anyway, I still love DCS. and I hope that future updates will correct this and have in-cockpit shadows;)

RTX 3070

The shadows show up near the center hub during flight RPM...which seems to be just fine. As rotor RPM slows the shadows become more distinct and the full chord of the blade casts a shadow.

according to many other real heli videos I saw, no matter what RPM the rotor is, the swirling blades lead to a rapid bright/dark shifting on where the blades' shadows should cast (ground or the heli itself). I don't mean that distinct shadows when blades remain static. anyway, thank you.:P

RTX 3070

Could that be the result of the camera shutterspeed though? Sort of like that crazy vid of the Hind where it looks like the blades are stationary?

maybe. if the camera is recording at a very high framerate (60fps or higher), you will see "distinct" fast moving blades shadows

RTX 3070

are you guys after a game to look at or a game to play where combat is imporintant. shadows are nice but very low on my list.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

I don't speak for anyone but myself, and atleast then and now I am still serious about it. I would not say that I am "fussing" over it though, and if some think that I am, I am not trying to be. It is just the one thing that I think really adds to the atmosphere is lighting, and I beleive that these specific shadows play a big part in that. I know that we do not have an engine that can realistically compete with a game like Crysis graphically, but that doesn't mean we cannot shoot for what is possible.

• Like 2

I don't speak for anyone but myself, and atleast then and now I am still serious about it. I would not say that I am "fussing" over it though, and if some think that I am, I am not trying to be. It is just the one thing that I think really adds to the atmosphere is lighting, and I beleive that these specific shadows play a big part in that. I know that we do not have an engine that can realistically compete with a game like Crysis graphically, but that doesn't mean we cannot shoot for what is possible.

:thumbup:

• Like 1

RTX 3070

Crysis? Because it's graphic top in games for now.

Sure it use the latest computer technology.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core i7-6700K, @5GHz | Asus Maximus Hero VIII | 2 x eVGA GTX 970 SLI | Kingston Predator 16GB DDR4-3000Mhz | 2 x Samsung 850 PRO 240GB RAID-0 | AOC G2460PG G-SYNC LCD | OCULUS RIFT CV1 VR | THRUSTMASTER HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO PEDALS

Yeah but Crysis is a FPS, no need for such a detailed graphics in fight simulator, don't you think?!

On the other hand to run Crysis graphically maxed out to enjoy all eye candy with smooth flow, man, that rig is a fortune. But if you play Crysis in mid-range settings you'll be dissapointed. Crysis seems like MoHAA that's 5 years old!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Holy Moses peoples, I mention Crysis and everyone goes crazy. I am not, have never, and hope that I never contend Lockon be as good as any other sim out there. Maybe I should not have mentioned Crysis, but instead maybe FSX, or some other new game. All the new games have awesome lighting and shadows in it! I am telling you that this is what really made the difference FOR ME! I was just sayin that having these shadows I though would really be a pleasure.

Yeah but Crysis is a FPS, no need for such a detailed graphics in fight simulator, don't you think?!

On the other hand to run Crysis graphically maxed out to enjoy all eye candy with smooth flow, man, that rig is a fortune. But if you play Crysis in mid-range settings you'll be dissapointed. Crysis seems like MoHAA that's 5 years old!

BTW, I know that Crysis is a FPS. I am not an idiot because I know that a DX9 Sim that uses a really old engine cannot, will not, and most importantly should not have to compete against a DX10 sim. Hell, they are almost different markets.

the heck is it with you and that game..... :P :megalol: jk

HeHe, you just don't know what you are missing. :) JK

I have noticed the DCS shadows problem for a long time. Back to April,2007, I just finished the campaign in ArmA. And I love that shadows casted by helicopters' swirling blades. It's amazing, it looks like what you could see in real life. And I saw some DCS videos, noticing that the blades do not cast shadows when blades are waving. But there are shadows near the center hub!

I'm just thinking this: you have made the shadows near the center hub, why not expand it to the whole blades? I feel it like somebody paints half of his house then leave the other half unpainted.

RTX 3070