IFF Indication on HUD

Tomsk

The F-18 and other planes have IFF indications for contacts on the HUD, the F-16 (in DCS) does not. Is this accurate to real life? If so it seems a very odd design choice. Especially given the F-16 is so widely exported. For example If Egypt & Israel ever got into a shooting match it could get real messy. They both fly the F-16 and as I understand it neither carries AMRAAMs, so it'd be pure WVR combat .. with no reliable means to identify friend from foe. It seems such a simple addition: to display an IFF indication on the HUD when you have a target locked.

Edited by Tomsk

7 minutes ago, razo+r said:

Yes, there's no indication on HUD.

There are reliable ways to identify though. TGP, IFF, AWACS, RoE etc.

I don't think you can use any of those if you end up in a dogfight with two groups of F-16s. Our squadron simulated this scenario recently and it was utter carnage.

Edited by Tomsk

On 12/22/2020 at 11:18 AM, Tomsk said:

The F-18 and other planes have IFF indications for contacts on the HUD, the F-16 (in DCS) does not. Is this accurate to real life? If so it seems a very odd design choice. Especially given the F-16 is so widely exported. For example If Egypt & Israel ever got into a shooting match it could get real messy. They both fly the F-16 and as I understand it neither carries AMRAAMs, so it'd be pure WVR combat .. with no reliable means to identify friend from foe. It seems such a simple addition: to display an IFF indication on the HUD when you have a target locked.

As far as i know, in real life the F-16 does not have an IFF indicator on the HUD which i agree is a very questionable design choice. The only way ive been able to identify between Friend or Foe during a dogfight in DCS is by doing flare callouts (asking a friendly to flare or if they have just flared) sometimes even this doesnt work as the enemy may flare at the same time but thats the most effective solution ive found so far.

If you’re far enough away, glance at the mfd for iff. If you’re too close for that, you should be visual anyway. 

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

• 2 weeks later...

How do you guys handle this problem on PvP servers?

Two planes near me one is firing on our units - a "red" rocket came of his rails. So i send a AIM120 towards him. (His coloured symbol wasnt visible yet)

Looked the second plane, looked at the FCS page and iffed him - didnt came back green. So shot another AIM120 - just after i fired the colored symbol appeared

and i saw its a friend. Said sorry - got a fck u in return and penalty points.

SRS is most of the times not populated.

FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | SA342  R5 5600X | 32GB | RX 6800XT | TM Cougar | T-Rudder mk.IV | HP Reverb G2

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle USB standalone MOD

How do you guys handle this problem on PvP servers?

Two planes near me one is firing on our units - a "red" rocket came of his rails. So i send a AIM120 towards him. (His coloured symbol wasnt visible yet)
Looked the second plane, looked at the FCS page and iffed him - didnt came back green. So shot another AIM120 - just after i fired the colored symbol appeared
and i saw its a friend. Said sorry - got a fck u in return and penalty points.

SRS is most of the times not populated.
You should do 2 to 3 IFF interrogations, just to be sure. It's an imperfect system. Some real life ROE require multiple interrogations like that.

If SRS is available on the server and people aren't on it, so they cannot respond to a Raygun call, it's their fault. If people forget to turn on their IFF transponders, that's also their fault.

But their fault can become your problem, as you can see. This is why IRL, VID is still very much used. Now, whether the server mission is structured in a way that coalitions make sense and VID is a realistic option, that's another question.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

In a situation where you can’t quite be sure, you’ll have to VID. That’s realistic too.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

• 4 months later...

The problem is DCS servers are mostly not set up a realistic way. Because everyone wants to fly a NATO aircraft, and little amount of people want to fly russian jets. So the situation often is NATO vs NATO aircraft.

I dont know how complete the F16s IFF is at the moment, but when in close air combat you can press TMS left which gives you (hopefully) a green ring on the radar around the locked on aircraft. Which will disappear quickly and is very hard to see in vR too. But well if the the real F16 is like that, we have to bear with it too I guess. Maybe a mod for a bigger symbol for the IFF return on the MFD could help vR users. But yeah, poor design choice by the engineers.