Taking advantage of an offer to improve Setting Results

Fakum

Main thing - did @Fakum have any joy?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

4 hours ago, silverdevil said:

i did not have "ultimate" power scheme. but i did find a way to add it if it does not exist. trusty powershell (which i use everyday at work) How to Enable Ultimate Power Plan. you can also watch this video and decide if the improvment is what you want. Does The New Ultimate Power Mode Improve Gaming? - Windows 10 

So if you made a change,,, did you test for results? Thats all Im waiting for before I dabble into this. Thanks

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

i could not see a difference and i still am getting stutters. even in browser and other windows apps. yay

here is my latest NCP settings

image.png

Edited by silverdevil

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Hi @Fakum. All my Nvidia control panel settings are at default. All now I have done is set my power settings to High - easily done, and if no joy can be reset back to whatever they were before - so no small 'dark arts' changes - just gone from balanced to high.  As a test I then reset them back to balanced - instant jitters. Reset back to high - smooth. 

23 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

still am getting stutters. even in browser and other windows apps

Maybe indicating @silverdevil has a bigger issue rather than just DCS?? My jitters purely in DCS.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

Thats very helpful! Will try that tonite or tomorrow and report back,,, many thanks

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I've tested MIN, MAX and various other configurations in the NVIDIA control panel and DCS settings and always have the stutter.

So I don't think its related to video settings.

And I'm using the Ultimate Performance power plan and still getting the stutter - I tested Normal and Ultimate.

USB Mouse?  Wireless or Wired?

I just flew the F-18 on the Syria map but never enabled my mouse and had NO stutter.

I'm using a wireless mouse via a Unifying USB receiver.

It could be that I'm so used to seeing the stutter that I don't see it anymore.  LOL

I'll try it later tonight with a wired mouse just to see if I was seeing things.

But wanted to post here just in case someone had already tested this.

Thats a new twist indeed!

Tonite, the only thing I tested (In Windows Power Options)was going from " High Performance" to "Bitsum High Performance" ( I changed nothing else so far). Still Stutters. Tomorrow I will keep it on "Bitsum High Performance", and set NVidia settings to Default and see what happens.

All my devices are USB - the only thing I do get is that my screen won't auto power off regardless of time out settings when left inactive due to the computer believing there is still ongoing activity from my headset.

From what I can recall my old setup had no stutter issues - and ran 1.5 and 2.5 fine - albeit with low FPS/lower settings as was 8 years old - though any stuttering may have just been perceived as an accepted low FPS. All my peripherals are the same - just new build base computer and a fresh DCS install onto an M2 SSD. Previous install was onto a 7200RPM Hybrid HD. 

17 hours ago, Leg2ion said:

As a test I then reset them back to balanced - instant jitters. Reset back to high - smooth.

I always put power on high and then turn off everything that wants things to suspend or turn off. It's the first thing i do after a fresh install (and this one last already at least a year or 4).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

12 hours ago, Fakum said:

Tomorrow I will keep it on "Bitsum High Performance", and set NVidia settings to Default and see what happens.

Does that mean you have Process Lasso installed? Any chance that is interfering someway?

Read here that someone was having issues with it installed: Troubles with FPS and stutters: CPU core affinity and Process Lasso - Game Performance Bugs - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

Hmmm so that is interesting! I actually do have Process Lasso installed, but its NOT the paid version, and I havnt used that in a long time (couldnt get it dialed in) I dont think it has been running since sometime last year? I will have to uninstall it and see if there is any difference? Thanks for pointing that out.

Also, I read through that thread regarding Process Lasso, that basically lead to resolving the matter by setting affinity masking thru DCS autoexe file, that apparently still does not work? That post is located at 

what i have done since my last post. like i said i was getting stutters in DCS and Chrome. Probably others but these two apps are used most. it would show itself when i was typing. the system would lag while typing and i would get some jumbling of characters. "iwoul d get smeo jumblingof c hactersar" turns out it was fairly regular CPU spikes as seen in performance tab of Task Manager. this manifested itself in DCS too. on a whim i restored default settings on the DCS program in NCP then changed settings to whatever i had NCP set to (from my screen shot). that did not help Chrome of course. i figured it would be easier to fix Chrome lag. the CPU spikes indicated "Windows Explorer" spiking to 100% while monitoring task manager. on a whim i did system file checker in windows command as admin. it found corrupted files and repaired them. it seems to have made a significant difference in apps other than DCS. more info on this if you are unaware.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

i will try DCS today and report what i found. 

NOTE: in my 30+ years as system admin helped me because corrupt system files can be a big problem.

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

21 minutes ago, Fakum said:

Also, I read through that thread regarding Process Lasso, that basically lead to resolving the matter by setting affinity masking thru DCS autoexe file, that apparently still does not work?

Did see that - but it was some of the other posts suggesting that things improved after uninstalling PL that got my notice. Also the fact you have a 'Bitsum High Performance' selectable may indicate it may not be as inactive as you would think.

i restarted clean boot. 

How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 

without running DCS yet my processor is no longer spiking except when i opened chrome or other programs that were not already running and only for a second. the cpu is now consistently running at 1% - 5%. system memory is less than 15%.

i am going to try DCS and let you all know.

So far, here are the results (not good yet)

NCP Custom settings + Process Lasso Installed + High Performance Power Setting = Stuttering/Jitters

NCP Custom settings + Process Lasso Installed + BITSUM High Performance Power Setting = Stuttering/Jitters

NCP Custom settings + Process Lasso UNINSTALLED+ High Performance Power Setting = Stuttering/Jitters

NCP Custom settings + ULTIMATE Performance Power Setting = Stuttering/Jitters

NCP ALL TO DEFAULT + ULTIMATE Performance Power Setting = FPS DROP + Stuttering/Jitters

To be continued, I think I am now going to try and adjust some NCP settings with this current config of NCP ALL TO DEFAULT + ULTIMATE Performance Power Setting

Was there any difference at all in terms of severity between the different settings? Out of curiosity is your DCS install in the 'do not scan' bucket of any anti-virus/internet security?

I really couldn't see any differences in severity. I do have the DCS Files set so they are not scanned with my Bitdefender software

What if you disable Bitdefender totaly? If you feel vulnerable then, just disconnect from the net when disabling Bitdefender.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I will have to test that out and see if it has an impacts,,, thanks for the tip,,,

Reason why i ask is that after AVAST and AVG (free versions) turned into nagging little bastards, i used Bitdefender for a while but it didn't always played nice, certainly not with games.

In the end it went the same way as Avast and AVG and from then on i'm using Windows build in Defender. Works nice, added DCS to the non-check list and i never looked back.

Yeah,, I just disabled protection and ran in again,,, didnt notice any change,,, been noticing some odd graphics though today that I dont like with all these settings changes,, the trees and shadows around them are flickering noticeably,, and I can see what I can only describe as some sort of draw distance appearing right outside my canopy on the ground,,,its like I am watching it draw in the final details. and my draw distances are all maxed out. My frame rates are running well into the 90's. lowest I have rally seen are 60 ish,, but that has been that way before I started wit the power settings and getting process lasso uninstalled. Im about had enough of all this, I might finally just give up,,,

What in game AA settings are you using? Additionally did you try the affinity mask thing? Reason I ask is what is becoming apparent is some things that work for some don't for others - so could be worth a shot at the least.

Plan today is to wipe my drive, re-install Windows and Norton, then plain re-install DCS - so all clean with no interference from other one stop fits all optimisation programs.

That should mean all my windows settings are on default, as will DCS be - then see what any stutter is like. If present - which I think it will be - will only play with the windows power settings - as this appeared to fix it for me (though only after running MSI Dragon Center previously) - so this time will tinker with the power settings but without having had MSI DC adjust things in the background.

Edited by Leg2ion

MSAA= 4x

Anisoptropic= 16x

DCS is already running across all 4 coresimage.png

Edited by Fakum

OK - so wiped my drive and re-installed windows. That was fun - as it initially refused to re-install on my boot drive! Anyway - got there in the end.

Installed windows, norton, chipset drivers, nvidia drivers and MS Office - nothing else. Then installed DCS, and left everything to stock. Jitters/stutter still there. Set DCS settings to high - jitters. Windows gaming mode to on - jitters. 

Then visited advanced power options - this time around only had the option of high, ultimate no longer being present - so guessing this is an option that is allowed when MSI Dragon Center is installed - so it obviously unlocks something in the background. Selected High - smooth - just have some odd shimmering on buildings in the distance on a test mission I created.

One thing I think was mentioned was @Fakum - if you have major issues you use a backup image of your PC - so if you have any issues and have to restore all you do is re-install them by using the backup? Just a thought.

Edited by Leg2ion