Cyclic and Collective sticks, what does the buttons do?

Yellonet

The flight manual includes detailed pics of the cyclic and collective, including the functions of each button/switch. Hopefully the flight manual will be released to the public soon!

I can say this for sure, though: Helicopters don't have "force trim hats". ;)

I see.. :D So there's only one button for trim? Is it like that on all helo's?

What does that hat do then? Now you have to tell!! :P Or at least give us a cryptic clue.. :)

I see.. :D So there's only one button for trim? Is it like that on all helo's?

What does that hat do then? Now you have to tell!! :P Or at least give us a cryptic clue.. :)

Yes, helicopters just have a button for force trim. That is, force trim can be on or off, and there is usually a button the turns it off when pressed. Some have a switch to turn it off completely, and not just "interrupt" it, but it's still just an "on or off" thing.

The cyclic hat you pointed out selects hardpoints on the wings.

Edited by AlphaOneSix

Yes, helicopters just have a button for force trim. That is, force trim can be on or off, and there is usually a button the turns it off when pressed. Some have a switch to turn it off completely, and not just "interrupt" it, but it's still just an "on or off" thing.

The cyclic hat you pointed out selects hardpoints on the wings.

I see, thank you!! :thumbup:

Hmm.. Come to think of it, if that hat selects hardpoints, then what's left for the other hat on the collective to do?? :D

ps. Your posts are allways informative and interesting A6 :)

@ Esac: You can't get one, dude. They're from hirevsims. For military and commercial buyers only. I see hopefull simmers post a link to them every now and then, but there's no hope for people like us unless you have a couple hundred thousand and are willing to purchase in bulk. But I doubt they would allow resale. The last time I saw them posted was for an f-15e dual throttle arm replica (And I sooooooo wanted one). It's not fair! They could make an absolute KILLING if they went for the hobbyist simmer...

@ Esac: You can't get one, dude. They're from hirevsims. For military and commercial buyers only. I see hopefull simmers post a link to them every now and then, but there's no hope for people like us unless you have a couple hundred thousand and are willing to purchase in bulk. But I doubt they would allow resale. The last time I saw them posted was for an f-15e dual throttle arm replica (And I sooooooo wanted one). It's not fair! They could make an absolute KILLING if they went for the hobbyist simmer...

Bolded, italicized, and underlined for emphasis. There have been simmers who have approached them before with armfuls of cash asking to buy their products only to be turned down.

They either have a really, really, really good reason for not selling units one at a time to the general public or they are absolutely insane and have no business sense at all. Its a tough call.

Hey Guys, Just a quick Question, Im currently trying to build my own collective as there are none with a good price avalible, Can someone answer a very stupid Question. :) The Hokam collective, Does have a throttle on the collective right, Or is the throttle control Now controlled by computers, and all you have to do is raise and lower the collective, rather than having to roll on and off, as you move the collective. I know when the answer comes back I will kick myself, But I just want to be 100% sure Before I try and add the throttle.

Cheers

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Does have a throttle on the collective right, Or is the throttle control Now controlled by computers
I bet for computer controlled, I think it's quiet normal nowadays. But, maybe, it has a throttle anyway for manual control in emergencies.

I bet for computer controlled, I think it's quiet normal nowadays. But, maybe, it has a throttle anyway for manual control in emergencies.

If it's like the Mi-24 (and most Russian helicopters seem to use a similar engine system) then it has a twist throttle on the collective for controlling governor RPM (i.e. what RPM it should keep the rotor at). You can set it high for more power, or lower to save fuel. But the governor controls the actual engine RPM.

There is also override throttles for emergency cases when the governor fails.

Every helicopter will have a throttle. How else do you get the engine RPM high enough to get going anywhere? Yes can be governed to automatically adjust itself as this makes life easier, but you cannot start a heli with the governonr on...

You wouldn't drive a car without a throttle would you? Why would you want to step into something that flies without that fundamental control!

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

You wouldn't drive a car without a throttle would you? Why would you want to step into something that flies without that fundamental control!

I think that's a flawed argument.

On older helicopters, and some current ones (Robinson R-22, for example), you have to manually control the throttle in order to keep the rotor speed within the proper operating range. All (almost all?) modern turbine powered helicopters do this automatically. There is a "throttle" in name, but it does not require adjustment during flight. On the Ka-50, there is no twist throttle, there are throttle levers...one for each engine. When you start the engines, they are in the lower-most detent, called "IDLE". After the engines are started and warmed up, you move these levers up to "AUTO", and you're done. You never touch them again unless you lose an engine or you land and you're ready to shut them down. The Mi-17 and Mi-24 have a twist throttle, but again, in normal operation, it's all the way left for "IDLE" and all the way right for "AUTO", and it's never touched in-flight unless there is a problem. If the rotor RPM needs to be adusted, there is a seperate incr-decr swtch for that. (The Ka-50 also has an incr-decr switch for rotor RPM, sort of. It's on the collective.)

The fuel controls on modern engines automatically adjust fuel flow rates to keep the rotor RPM within a certain range (or at a specific percent), so the pilot does not touch the throttle during flight except in case of some kind of emergency. And "I need more power" is not that kind of emergency, I'm talking about the failure of an engine or the overspeed of an engine.

In other words, the helicopter is way smarter than the pilot at determining how much fuel to put into the engines in order to keep the rotor RPM where it needs to be. To try to compare it to a car throttle, you'd have to assume that the car is permanently set on cruise control for a specific speed. Once you set the cruise control, you never touch the throttle again until you turn off the cruise control. During "cruise", your car's computer determines how much fuel to send into the engine in order to maintain your set speed. Now imagine that this "cruise control" is always on, from the moment you turn on your car, until you turn it off, and all you can set your throttle to is "IDLE" and (for example) "50km/hr", then that would be like a helicopter's throttle.

• Like 2