VR mirror black mask remove?

Japo32

I have seen that in VR there is a black mask now I suppose to increase performance. The problem is that I am capturing with OBS the mirror and now a good part of the capture area is with that mask. 

Considering that the pixel density in the mirror is not good enough for OBS, is there a way to remove that FX mask in the mirror?

Thanks!

f75cc1ff91f2a3365681e7b54ecd4a09.jpg
https://gyazo.com/f75cc1ff91f2a3365681e7b54ecd4a09

Edited by Japo32
  • Like 1

• Japo32 changed the title to VR mirror black mask remove?

there is a crop to rectangle in VR options that don't do anything, and a render mirror VR with default DCS resolution, that renders the VR Mirror with the full resolution of the monitor, but the problem is that it deformates the image horizontally. 

I hope there is a way to remove the mask, or fix the deformation issue if render full window.

Edited by Japo32

To let you understand the problem, here is the new capture area in OBS. Much less, when already the Windows Reality Portal users (Reverb G2) has problems with pixel density in mirror, as we do not have the great oculus mirror (our WRP mirror is poor with stutters, and steam mirror gives 1/2 of performance you have in the goggles.

NewVRMask.jpg

I have found this shader:

\DCS World\Bazar\shaders\HMDMask.fx 

I cannot remove it as it is needed to be loaded and I am trying to understand it but I am not programmer so I cannot deactivate it. Maybe someone find the way to switch if off. 

Other thing is if it could pass the IC multiplayer.

Great! I removed the mask!! :)))

You have to edit the HMDMask.fx and modify the line:

float4 vsOctagonMask(in float2 pos:POSITION0): SV_POSITION0
{
    return float4(pos, 1, 1);
}

to

{
    return float4(pos, 0.1, 0.1);
}

and save.

it seems to pass IC (has to make more testings here)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Also a big THANK YOU!

I had the same issue (although my "border" was blue).

Your modification of line in the .lua file worked for me.  Guessing they will fix this in the future.  Clouds are still very jittery for me, but baby steps I suppose.  I'm sure they'll all be fixed when I get back in a few months.

Cheers,

Ziptie 

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Thanks, will need this as I tweak my setup this week. 

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

I was just going to report the same issue

11 hours ago, Japo32 said:

Great! I removed the mask!! :)))

You have to edit the HMDMask.fx and modify the line:

{
    return float4(pos, 1, 1);
}

to

{
    return float4(pos, 0.1, 0.1);
}

and save.

it seems to pass IC (has to make more testings here)

does this remove the mask just from the 2d- mirror or from the VR implementation as well ? 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Most likely from vr too. There's no point in having a mask that's only in 2d. It's part of the rendering process, to save a few clicks of GPU utilisation.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I don't see a mask in VR at all. Same square mirror, or if I go full screen the mirror fills my display.

Is it worth me turning it on and if so, how do I do it ?

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

ckeckout if you have the file: HMDMask.fx in the bazar/shader folder. If you don't see it in the MIRROR in the monitor, then you have a problem, as it should give you better performance (unless you want to remove as me, because recording)

Yep I certainly see it on monitor when flying in VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 4/14/2021 at 11:08 AM, Mover said:

It's on by default in 2.7 on mine.  Can't turn it off.

On 4/14/2021 at 10:54 AM, mx22 said:

How did you enable the mask? At least by default, I don't have one enabled and get the whole right/left eye render.

Go to the VR tab and in the bottom left corner there is a drop down box below Use DCS resolution that says both eyes, left, eye or right eye as a choice. Switch it to let or right eye. That should change the box to a single display instead of side by side on the desktop.

Edited by Hammer

• 1 month later...

Any news on getting the VR mask selectively enabled/disabled? Up until now, with every new update I've had to edit the HMDMask.fx file as was suggested earlier in the thread. That worked just fine until this latest update. Now, changing the return value of the vsOctagonMask method, I started getting the "Pure server required" message when trying to connect to MP. Put the return values back to 1, 1, and MP works again, but the silly VR mask is on again. Argh!!

• 2 months later...