AWG-9 track not breakable with jammer yet

Max1mus

I asked about this almost 2 years ago, but now ED is implementing jamming effects on their F-18 and F-16 radars, and reworking INS of its missiles.

When will you add the possibility to defeat the AWG-9 with ECM at long ranges? The F-14 jammer (with it turning itself on/off in extremely short intervals) has the aircraft 100% immune to any SAM or missile from Soviet, RuAf and PLAAF fighters above around 25 miles. Note, the much more modern F-18 and its jammer are nowhere near this capable, and using them affects their own radar. Meanwhile the AWG-9 can track a fighter sized target from more than 90 nautical miles, almost 4 times that distance.

Heatblur said that this is planned. You have announced a new module, so i assume you consider the F-14 nearly fully finished. Can we expect this to be adressed very soon?

• Like 2

What's your plan to simulate the diverse effects of multiple generations of ECM emitters spanning 50 years on the ECCM suite of a semi analogue radar when the EW infrastructure in DCS currently consists of Jamming: Yes? / No? It doesn't help that the F/A-18 is a modern set where ECCM is largely automated, and the effects of DECM on ownship are modelled incorrectly. Even then: why would you want HB to step in and try to hit a moving target while the EW model as it is, and how it interacts with weapons is in a state of constant flux as ED tries to mess with it, knowing that this will inevitably mean that HB will have to waste more time to fix it again at a later point down the road. 

I'm sympathetic to the issues caused by the blinky DECM, but the rest should be left to a later date when ED has solidified what it wants to do in this arena. 

• Like 2

The bug is that the AWG-9 is completely unaffected by ECM. That being said, knowing HB, I dont think theyd want to half do this; w/e they do Thad probably put the effort into a more complete/realistic simulation rather than the basic "if above X nm break lock" like rn.

Edited by dundun92
  • Like 2

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Any implementation is needed.

None is unacceptable, given that Heatblur gave the F-14 a cheat implementation of ECM, that abuses the jammer mechanics in DCS by turning itself on and off every 1-2 seconds. This makes tracking it with a missile not improbable, but entirely impossible. This has been the case for 2 years now, and the implementation promised to me on these forums is nowhere to be found.

Looks like there is no interest from HB, i will adress ED instead.

Edited by Max1mus
  • Like 3

What we'll probably end up seeing is a jamming strobe effect on the DDD (raw return) and line of resulting trackfiles on the TID. Since chaff and range/velocity gate pulloff returns aren't a thing in DCS I doubt we'll see those. I do think even the basic jamming strobe + denied lock until 22nm should be implemented asap though.

Edited by Skysurfer
  • Like 1

I'd rather have all aircraft being unaffected by ECM than some arbitrary lock/no-lock range tbqh

The AWG-9 was renown for its capability to manually negate a lot of jamming effects, through the (unimplemented) left half of the DDD knobs.

Seems bizarre to force some binary ECM simplification onto the jet because some other missiles/jets don't react in a sane way to DECM.

Smells like "pvp balancing" to me.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Noctrach said:

I'd rather have all aircraft being unaffected by ECM than some arbitrary lock/no-lock range tbqh

The AWG-9 was renown for its capability to manually negate a lot of jamming effects, through the (unimplemented) left half of the DDD knobs.

Seems bizarre to force some binary ECM simplification onto the jet because some other missiles/jets don't react in a sane way to DECM.

Yeah, sadly this is what it comes down to. It's either as jammable as all other radars in DCS or not jammable at all - in any case people will complain. 

Jamming effects are still WIP:

On 11/27/2019 at 11:19 PM, Naquaii said:

The jamming effects for the AWG-9 are still on the list, we just haven't gotten to that yet.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

On 5/10/2021 at 12:54 PM, Noctrach said:

This is a meaningless statement.  I might as well say you can't jam an APG-63 but we know that's not true.  There's no such thing as negating jamming effects, you can at best mitigate them.

There's nothing bizarre about this; all radars should be affected by ECM.  If it's simple, they should all use that simple effect.  This isn't pvp balancing (though it does affect pvp), it's the simple fact that all radars in game should be subject to ECM.

Edited by GGTharos
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

I can always tell Csgo’s posted cos of the highly fecund aroma that makes itself unwelcomingly apparent.

For me, it's the sudden, unrestrainable compulsion to start ramming my head into the nearest wall, over and over again.

Also, if anyone needs some demolition work done, please send me a PM, my forehead is available.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 6

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I've come around on them, now it's a highly cherished form of entertainment. Each one is a portal to another world of paranoia and despair where the F-14 is this imposing super fighter with unimpeachable capabilities and prowess, whereas the Dart is this meek, tread upon shadow of an aircraft doomed to be out shot, out turned, and out fought at every opportunity by its betters. 

It sounds amazing

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

I understand you enjoy your ECM shield while your own aircraft is completely immune to all ECM. 
However, it's been 3 years now.

Right now, in DCS, there's a grand total of 1 RADAR on a module that features the effects of track breaking (gate-pull off), yes, that's right 1.

And AFAIK, only the FC3 aircraft, the Hornet and the Mirage 2000C feature the effects of noise jamming/range denial.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

There's also only a grand total of 1 ECM that uses a mechanic (blinking) that is known to cause issues with DCS. 
Why even implement that in the first place is a mystery to me, when you know it's troublesome but whatever it's there. 
So with that in mind, can you not see how it is a bit weird that a module has an ECM shield that breaks the game, while it's own radar is immune to all ECM  because "haven't gotten around to it" ? 
For three years ? 

Edited by Csgo GE oh yeah

I think it should be the last thing Heatblur fixes before the F-14 leaves EA.

I don't know what I've been doing wrong, but I have absolutely no trouble getting blown out of the sky by ARH and SARH missiles in the F-14 even with the jammer on and maneuvering. Nor have I had any trouble killing Tomcats with these same missiles. Hell, just before this post I was doing 1v1 F-14As against the AI. He was jamming, I was jamming, and our missiles both hit. How do I use the ECM to make myself invulnerable?

• Like 1

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

8 hours ago, Swordsman422 said:

I think it should be the last thing Heatblur fixes before the F-14 leaves EA.

I don't know what I've been doing wrong, but I have absolutely no trouble getting blown out of the sky by ARH and SARH missiles in the F-14 even with the jammer on and maneuvering. Nor have I had any trouble killing Tomcats with these same missiles. Hell, just before this post I was doing 1v1 F-14As against the AI. He was jamming, I was jamming, and our missiles both hit. How do I use the ECM to make myself invulnerable?

Don't feed the troll 🙂

He made it his goal in life to blame HB/F-14 for all problems in DCS perhaps. I feel like TWS tracks are quite unreliable as is, either he is doing zero manouvering as his RWR lights up or the 54 is already active before he realizes. Who knows 

• Like 2

Why do you guys always assume i 'do bad' vs F14's ? For every 20 kills i make, i die once. 

I do have a problem with double standards. Even if the F14's ECM was NOT kaputt and doing weird stuff the way it is now, why would  you even implement ECM at all on your aircraft while at the same time keeping your own aircraft immune to all ECM for all eternity ? 
That is simply not right. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

Why do you guys always assume i 'do bad' vs F14's ?

Maybe because of your constant and often unreasanable flaming against the Tomcat.

4 hours ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

I do have a problem with double standards. Even if the F14's ECM was NOT kaputt and doing weird stuff the way it is now, why would  you even implement ECM at all on your aircraft while at the same time keeping your own aircraft immune to all ECM for all eternity ? 
That is simply not right.

Ok, now this is incredbile rare: I think this is the first time I can agree with a comment of yours. It is indeed quite an unfair advantage, which I made a thread about a while ago (back then the Hornet did not had it's jamming effects modeled):

Now, to be fair, Heatblur said that jamming effects are on the to-do list and they just didn't got to it yet: 

On 11/27/2019 at 11:19 PM, Naquaii said:

The jamming effects for the AWG-9 are still on the list, we just haven't gotten to that yet.

Now one could argue that maybe the jamming capability should not have been implemented until effects for incoming jamming are also implemented, but holding back easy to implement features just for balancing is also not ideal.
The bottom line is: jamming effects are planned for the Tomcat (at least I'm not aware that this has changed). Just need to be patient.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

6 hours ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

Why do you guys always assume i 'do bad' vs F14's ? For every 20 kills i make, i die once.

As with what QuiGon said, it's because you're such an anti-fanboy of it, something that seems fairly unique.

"The F-14 is completely immune to AMRAAMs, R-77s and R-27Rs" to name one example.

6 hours ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

Now here you do have a point, but as I said, there's so far a grand total of 1 module that has a RADAR that actually has the effects of a DECM technique (the type of ECM our aircraft actually use) simulated (track breaking) with a gate pull-off, that being the Mirage 2000C.

There's also a grand total of 1 module that has DECM implemented (again, track breaking), everything else is noise-jamming/range denial.

With the effects of jamming, the Tomcat might be more difficult than most; it has both a raw RADAR video and a processed RADAR display, with different presentations, as well as having separate pulse and pulse doppler modes and separate controls for ECCM.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

System:

Wait guys, i need to make some popcorn! 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

If I understand correctly the HB F-14 has one of the most realistic implementations of how a radar transmits and receives information along with the 37?

Would that alao mean it would be the most afflicted radar if proper ECM is implemented compared to other simplified aircraft radars? 

8 hours ago, Comstedt86 said:

Don't feed the troll 🙂

He's not the troll. He just has "concerns" over his "game experience" and "balance" being in danger because Heatblur is out to specifically ruin his experience.

No, no. I'm the troll, and I'm being so gleefully. And truthfully, whatever problem he's having with DCS, I'm not having and I'm choosing to say so in a snarky way.

• Like 2

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png