The 'static activate' trigger help wanted

MEDIC - v312

Dear all,

I'm creating a mission and I would like to 'late activate' a static object that isn't available as a gorund unit. The Static objects don't actually have a 'late activition' option. However there's a trigger that say 'activate static'. The explanation of this trigger in the manual says: 

"This action generates the delayed activation of static objects that are present in the mission file but will not spawn in the mission until the moment of activation. When creating this action, you must specify the group of static objects."

The problem is that I can enter this trigger fine and I know how to use it, however I just don't know how to hide the static objects for everyoone until they're activated. If I just place them and then enter the trigger, everyone can just see the static objects are there even before the trigger is activated. Does anyone know how to hide the static objects in game until they're activated?

IIRC it is not actually implemented yet. Closest you can do is to spawn in a new object via script, which works just fine. 

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• 9 months later...

It appears this feature is still not implemented, but it would be nice to have. For example arrangements on aircraft carrier decks could be changed during a mission if we had some mechanism to activate and deactivate units (without getting into scripting which really isn't accessible to most players).

• 2 months later...
On 6/15/2021 at 6:14 AM, Grimes said:

IIRC it is not actually implemented yet. Closest you can do is to spawn in a new object via script, which works just fine. 

Ahh that perhaps also explains why ED didn't add a "deactivate static object" trigger action yet. I assume both will become available simultaneously (personally, my missions would have more use for a static deactivate action)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

17 hours ago, sirrah said:

Ahh that perhaps also explains why ED didn't add a "deactivate static object" trigger action yet. I assume both will become available simultaneously (personally, my missions would have more use for a static deactivate action)

Hard to say. Its happened a few times where ED adds a feature to the editor that isn't quite functional yet. Think of it as one person creates the values that adds it to the editor while waiting on another person to complete the feature. It makes zero sense to me why a static deactivate couldn't already be added because the same functionality exists in script form as: 

StaticOjbect.getByName('objName'):destroy()

A long time ago you use to be able to have a Cargo truck pull up stop Drop off cargo then drive off. I loved doing that for Sling loading for my HUEY. Late activation was wonderful and then they removed it from the Mission Editor. It has never been put back in. It hurts to think they don't see the value of this ability or just no clue to its value. I hear the above statement but just how long will it take? Lots of big improvements all the time so I tend to keep it to myself thinking some day some day some day. 

Edited by DishDoggie
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2023 at 5:44 AM, Ironwulf said:

This has been reported internally.

Thanks, thats quite a useful step towards a well balanced Logistic System within DCS which will hopefully expanded more when the Chinook drops

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; Meta Quest 3; HOTAS Warthog; Logitech Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

• 11 months later...

I have chatted to ED Devs...its been proposed...no updates yet,

But for me being able to Late activate Static objects will be really great. 

Its in the Trigger options...so must have been a plan way back...

Fingers crossed

Asus ROG MAXIMUS X Formula

Intel i7- 8700K 4.8ghz

Asus GTX 2080ti OC edition

64 Gb RAM at 3200mhz

Kraken X 72 cooler

Samsung CHG90 monitor at 144 htz

DCS on M.2 drive 500 Gb

• ED Team

As mentioned in the PM it has been requested but I have no news to share. 

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 6/9/2022 at 1:28 AM, Grimes said:

Hard to say. Its happened a few times where ED adds a feature to the editor that isn't quite functional yet. Think of it as one person creates the values that adds it to the editor while waiting on another person to complete the feature. It makes zero sense to me why a static deactivate couldn't already be added because the same functionality exists in script form as: 

StaticOjbect.getByName('objName'):destroy()

What would be the script to spawn the static object? Is it the same syntax except for the "destroy()", or is it more complicated? Can it be done for the object already placed by the mission designer and then removed via your sample script?

https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/DCS_func_addStaticObject

Basically need coordinates, type of object, and a unique name. The most complicated it gets is just mathematics to manipulate x, y, and heading values as desired. 

An easy example would be to spawn something on a trigger zone named "spawnHere"

local point = trigger.misc.getZone('spawnHere').point

local staticObj = {
	["heading"] = math.rad(math.random(360)),
	["type"] = "Cafe",
	["name"] = "dynBuilding",
	["y"] = point.z,
	["x"] =  point.x,
}

coalition.addStaticObject(country.id.USA, staticObj)