Auto Pilot Yaw, strange behavior.

Clogger

Noticed a few possible bugs here:

A) On Air start missions the Hind will add some yaw corrections to the rudder even if rudder assists are disabled, I have to reset trim to cancel the input other wise they will stay offset. This happens in self made missions and the instant freeflights where you start in active pause.

General Yaw autopliot:

B)If engaging the yaw auto pilot once the pedals are offset these will not return to center when yaw auto pilot disengaged. You have to reset trim.

This is not a problem in forward flight but if using the Yaw auto pilot in auto hover it can become a problem, as when you want to center the pedals after YAP disengaged you have to do a trim reset which also cancels the cyclic trim. This can lead to some messy situations.

Shouldn't the pedals return to Centre after Yaw auto pilot is turned off ?? It is no longer getting inputs from the FCS. Turning off the pedal damper has no effect.

C) If taking over from the AI pilot the pedals can be offset (regardless of YAW AP) , only way to centre pedals is to reset trim which again is tied to cyclic, not ideal if low and slow.

I do not have any rudder assistance selected in game menus and all game avionics modes etc.. are de selected.

I do not have sync hotas at mission start as the latest update is creating issues with the joystick (TM HOG), the stick will go full forward and to the left on mission start (not a Hind issue) happens in other birds until I force back control and then it centers, but even if do have sync selected and let the cyclic do its thing the pedals are are still the same as part A on mission air starts.

Edit: Added to tidy up the topic.

So more playing about today and to highlight the issue I am talking about.

I have been testing the AI handover between seats and as mentioned in this thread the pedals create issues under certain cumstances.

Simple Test:

(no rudder helper selected in game options)

Go into a stable hover , switch to front seat, let AI settle the hover, switch back to the pilots seat and then perform a 90 degree turn to the left and maintain stable hover (something you might actually do)

Result:

When you take back over the pilots seat the all the controls controls are trimmed, obviously this is good as you don't want to crash on take over. The problem becomes the pedals, when I do 90 degree turn I am fighting this offset left by the AI, once my turn is complete I am having to dab left rudder now to maintain a heading. While doable this starts becoming extremely awkward as my brain/muscle memory is telling me I need to right rudder in a hover plus I am only having to lightly feather left which is also awkward. My pedals being center spring (VKB's) are now completely out of wack to the helo controls.

To combat this you can reset trim, however as mentioned already the trim reset also zeros cyclic. I have managed to catch it and go back into hover but again this is making a simple task more difficult, resetting cyclic trim near the ground is not a good idea really.

Would this be an issue at 300m in forward flight, no, but it can be an issue else where.

The above is linked to the same prob with turning off Yaw AP, your pedals are stuck until you reset which cancels any cyclic trim.

While resetting the pedals may not be accurate neither is the current system but rather it is just tied to re-setting cyclic. 

Possible Solution:

I would assume there are different ways to to implement how the pedals work but adding a extra separate bind to re set the pedals would be easiest I would guess. This way you do not have to change the current behavior of the 2 ways to reset trim (double tap trim or trim reset)

You could double tap set-trim to reset all, current re-set trim could still be used to cancel both cyclic and pedals, plus the extra reset pedals only needs be used if a player wants. With those 3 options it would cover all bases IMHO with out effecting currently how the module works.

I would hazard a guess for those that like flying with the rudder helper, having a separate pedal re-set could also be useful.

With the above , on my cyclic I would map ''set-trim'' and ''pedal reset trim'' as "set-trim'' does 2 functions. 

Edited by Clogger
  • Like 2

Same behaviour as the MI-8.... like forever.

It is correct behaviour for the real machine which would work perfectly if you had force feed back pedals.

Not so good for self centering pedals like mine. 

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

How is it correct behavior that rudder pedals get stuck when you don't have Yaw AP turned on? The video posted here of the guy in a hind cockpit shows how the dampened pedals work, and if you push on one side then the other returns. That isn't being stuck. 

What am I missing here?

• Like 2

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

On 6/19/2021 at 12:23 AM, Rogue Trooper said:

Same behaviour as the MI-8.... like forever.

It is correct behaviour for the real machine which would work perfectly if you had force feed back pedals.

Not so good for self centering pedals like mine. 

While I am happy to be corrected,  sorry I can't see this being how the real bird works. 

Once you turn off Yaw AP the pedals should move/stay to what ever position the virtual pilot is holding them in. 

If you had FFB pedals, the pedals would remain where they are when Yaw AP is turned off but if you applied a new input they would stay at that new input, they should not revert back to that last trimmed position of the AP or be stuck like what we are seeing if you take your feet off the pedals with spring centres. 

In the real bird or with FFB the pilots feet are gonna be ghosting the inputs of the AP, once you hit Yaw AP off you would naturally take up the pressure (if any) and hold that input. 

I assume this is why the Hind has pedal straps maybe ?? To make ghosting movement easier. 

If we are saying what we are currently seeing in game is accurate,  then when turning off Yaw AP the FCS system is creating a new centre point for the pedals ?? Even though you telling the Helo you don't want any help from the gyros. 

The pilot would then surely be fighting the pedals ??

This would mean that cancelling Yaw AP is a 2 stage procedure,  turn it off and also reset trim on cyclic to cancel the rudder input.  

Perhaps that could be the case and perhaps using Yaw AP in auto hover is not recommended even in real life ??

What I believe should be happing is this,  if you have spring pedals, you have your feet off as you can't ghost the AP movement by feel, when you turn off Yaw AP the pedals should go back to centre I.e back to the control input being sent. 

All you would do to prevent a spin is put in some right rudder on cancelling the AP if in a hover or if in forward flight you just take back up the input to prevent slip in x wind if needed. 

I honestly think it is a simple case that the game is not releasing  the last control offset sent by the AP when turning it off. 

Edited by Clogger

Ok so played around a lot with this today, read what I could online and watched some more vids. From reading , the croc has micro switches on the pedals, so the pilot ghosts the pedals unless he wants to use the pedals i.e for a turn I assume.

Conclusion, perhaps you are meant to fly the Croc with AP Yaw enabled from the ground ??

I just left AP Yaw on full time now before take off, It makes Taxi a breeze, it will correct on the hover check and also input the correct pedal for transition in to forward flight. It will also correct on descents into the hover. 

I have VKB pedals, I leave my feet off unless I want to use the pedals. In the Hover you can still correct heading , let of go of the pedals and the AP will take of the rest.

You do have to make sure to do coordinated turns with the rudder and cyclic other wise you will be fighting the AP yaw. And sometimes if crabbing you may have to input a little more rudder and hold it there.

I still believe if you turn of AP Yaw or all the auto pilot systems the pedals should centre , with out having to reset trim. I believe this could be a bug.

Edited by Clogger

A long time ago when the MI-8 came out, We originally discussed this. 

It is correct, the AP has the ability to change the physical pedal position if the pilots feet are off the pedal (IRL) or in our case if we are not using/moving our self centring pedals. 

IRL and in Sim, the pedals can be physically offset by the AP when the Yaw Auto pilot runs out of adjustment range. 

If you watch the "show joystick" cheat screen. As the yaw runs out of adjustment a small "n" is shown (I think) and then the pedals are physically offset (automated) to compensate and create a new Zero point for the AP Yaw to work within.

Off course this creates a disparity between our gaming pedals (spring centred or non self centre pedals) which can really cause the Sim pilot to run out of pedal movement at a really bad moment in the flight.

If you want to avoid the problem do not use Yaw AP at take off, coming into Hover or landing. Also avoid using it during hard manoeuvres and bad weather. 

Generally I only use the Yaw AP when on a long cruise, I trim the chopper for flight at altitude and then engage Yaw AP.... I always check my pedals when coming out of cruise.  

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 2

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

3 hours ago, Rogue Trooper said:

A long time ago when the MI-8 came out, We originally discussed this. 

It is correct, the AP has the ability to change the physical pedal position if the pilots feet are off the pedal (IRL) or in our case if we are not using/moving our self centring pedals. 

IRL and in Sim, the pedals can be physically offset by the AP when the Yaw Auto pilot runs out of adjustment range. 

If you watch the "show joystick" cheat screen. As the yaw runs out of adjustment a small "n" is shown (I think) and then the pedals are physically offset (automated) to compensate and create a new Zero point for the AP Yaw to work within.

Off course this creates a disparity between our gaming pedals (spring centred or non self centre pedals) which can really cause the Sim pilot to run out of pedal movement at a really bad moment in the flight.

If you want to avoid the problem do not use Yaw AP at take off, coming into Hover or landing. Also avoid using it during hard manoeuvres and bad weather. 

Generally I only use the Yaw AP when on a long cruise, I trim the chopper for flight at altitude and then engage Yaw AP.... I always check my pedals when coming out of cruise.  

Thanks for the info, but this is not the issue I have. I understand how the Yaw AP works and the FCS will offset the pedals. I mentioned that IRL you would ghost the pedals but even with spring centered pedals this works fine as a new center is being created for you. For the most part it works very well. 

My issue is when you turn off Yaw AP , the pedals are stuck with the last offset set by the Yaw AP despite the cheat display showing that Yaw AP is centered and off and on the left hand control display you can see the stuck offset rudder as well as seeing your pedals offset.

The only way to zero the pedals is to hit re-set trim so turning off Yaw AP is a 2 step procedure , i.e turn off Yaw AP and then re-set trim. Is this how the real Hind behaves ? I am gonna say no. I am gonna assume, that turning off AP IRL would release the mechanical offset on the pedals. While in game it is being left there or stuck.

If this is due to the Hind having those micro switches on the pedals (read that somewhere) then this creates a problem for simmers as we dont have those. A simple work around could be when turning off Yaw AP when you touch the pedals (or an input is being applied) this removes the mechanical stop instead of having to trim reset, it would like telling the real hind that the pilot is taking control of the rudder (if this is how the real Hind does work). 

Having to reset my cyclic trim to center pedals or remove the offset creates issues with a non FFB joystick.

The issue IMHO is simple, 1) IRL does turning off the AP leave the mechanical offset ? 2) IRL does hitting reset trim on the cyclic cancel the mechanical offset provided by the AP or how does it actually work?

Depending on those answers, it may be a case of that home sim equipment can not replicate the Hind 100% accurately (micro switches on pedals etc..) and perhaps ED chose to model it this way to help ? If that is the case the way it is modeled creates issues IMHO and perhaps a re look at how to work better with home sim equipment is needed. i.e just tapping your rudder after turning off Yaw AP releases the mechanical offset or maybe the double tap trim would be used to center pedals (just ideas). This would be a special option tab just like central position trimer. Just another option that is not messing with cyclic trim.

This is all dependent on how the real bird works and how ED has decided to model those systems, it could be a case that turning off Yaw AP is meant to centre the pedals back to zero input and for some reason this is not happening.

Edited by Clogger

Yes it stays where it is.

The thing that the AP changed was the actual Tirm of the Pedals, once the AP is switched off, the mechanical trim is still held in place.

In real life it does not matter, the pilot takes over and the pedals are in the perfect place for the airframes flight, he just sticks his feet in and adjusts and has full range of pedal adjustment.

For the pilot IRL, it is a very good design. not so good for us simmers.

A mechanical trim reset on the real thing would be a bad day at the office.

One of the worst things with the MI-8 and I guess the hind is when you do a hard manoeuvre, the main rotor speed can drop, if it drops enough then all power generation is lost,  Doppler, ALL APs the lot, Mechanical Trim staying in place is real good thing at times like this.

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Rogue Trooper said:

The thing that the AP changed was the actual Tirm of the Pedals, once the AP is switched off, the mechanical trim is still held in place.

In real life it does not matter, the pilot takes over and the pedals are in the perfect place for the airframes flight, he just sticks his feet in and adjusts and has full range of pedal adjustment.

One of the worst things with the MI-8 and I guess the hind is when you do a hard manoeuvre, the main rotor speed can drop, if it drops enough then all power generation is lost,  Doppler, ALL APs the lot, Mechanical Trim staying in place is real good thing at times like this.

The issue I have isn't that its even being trimmed a certain way, its that the trim limits the max pedal deflection I can input. For instance, if I'm on an approach with low collective position to slow and descend, I need less anti torque input, but as I slow into a hover and increase collective I run out of rudder input to where I can no longer maintain directional control and end up in a spin until I reset the trim. I run out of directional control because the AP trimmed the rudder like 50% right pedal so when put in max left pedal, its only deflecting the pedals in game like 25%. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rogue Trooper said:

Thanks for the info.

So with that in mind, yes I understand but how does the IRL pilot tell the FCS to adjust the mechanical offset if the Yaw AP fails then ?  Is this a function of the micro switches I read about ?? It surely cant be that if the Yaw AP fails that a new center point is made mechanically it remains there permanently ?

I assume then this may be why ED implemented the system to re-centre the pedals being tied to cyclic trim re set, this is an issue IMHO.

7 hours ago, Hawkeye91 said:

The issue I have isn't that its even being trimmed a certain way, its that the trim limits the max pedal deflection I can input. For instance, if I'm on an approach with low collective position to slow and descend, I need less anti torque input, but as I slow into a hover and increase collective I run out of rudder input to where I can no longer maintain directional control and end up in a spin until I reset the trim. I run out of directional control because the AP trimmed the rudder like 50% right pedal so when put in max left pedal, its only deflecting the pedals in game like 25%. 

A good example thanks. 

Edited by Clogger

Topic states ED needs a track file, please find attached.

Flight:

Hot start, Hover check with out Yaw AP enabled, slow fly to another hover spot, wait until stable and then engage Yaw AP. Let the Hind settle (AP holds tail with feet off the pedals), disengage Yaw AP, Pedals remain offset as discussed in this thread. I land and then re center pedals by means of trim reset which also re sets trim on cyclic.

Hind Hover Yaw AP Test.trk

Edited by Clogger

Well I had a great track file example of this, but the file upload size it capped at 5mb.... Anyway, I made an approach to a runway and the same thing happened where transitioned to a hover, ran out of anti torque pedal authority until I hit the trimmer reset switch, then when I air taxied over and set down the yaw AP started getting to left and right oscillations while sittng on the ground. It would constantly swing the nose back and forth with weight on wheels. Seems really funky. Maybe you need to have yaw AP off for landing or something.

11 hours ago, Hawkeye91 said:

Well I had a great track file example of this, but the file upload size it capped at 5mb.... Anyway, I made an approach to a runway and the same thing happened where transitioned to a hover, ran out of anti torque pedal authority until I hit the trimmer reset switch, then when I air taxied over and set down the yaw AP started getting to left and right oscillations while sittng on the ground. It would constantly swing the nose back and forth with weight on wheels. Seems really funky. Maybe you need to have yaw AP off for landing or something.

If want to try and replicate it, set a training mission on a map with out any assets as the track files are smaller than 5mb.

To be honest I happy with how the AP works , I would just like a way to reset the rudder trim that is not tied to the cyclic trim.

The solution for this is pretty simple;

Can we have a separate bind to cancel any rudder trim that is not tied to the cyclic.

Currently a double tap of the trim button will re-set the pedals and cyclic, perhaps make the double tap for rudder trim only or double tapping re-set trim does the pedals etc..

The Yaw AP works really most of the time but as it is a mechanical system it can get funky, also when taking over from the AI pilot there will be an offset on the pedals (even if Yaw AP is off). Being able to re-center the pedals separately would avoid a bad situation becoming worse. 

Edited by Clogger

I own both Mi8 and Mi24.  I have some similar issues with the Hind, and it is nothing like flying the Mi8.  Sometimes I can apply full right anti torque/rudder and still be rotating hard left.  The pedals may or may not indicate it, but even if they do, they are still useless.  Sometimes the controls move on their own with out AP and trim, even in low wind and little to no air speed.   Perhaps it is still something with its AP system I am not getting right, because sometimes trimming and retrimming corrects it, but I have had nothing similar in the Mi8.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Dograw75 said:

I own both Mi8 and Mi24.  I have some similar issues with the Hind, and it is nothing like flying the Mi8.  Sometimes I can apply full right anti torque/rudder and still be rotating hard left.  The pedals may or may not indicate it, but even if they do, they are still useless.  Sometimes the controls move on their own with out AP and trim, even in low wind and little to no air speed.   Perhaps it is still something with its AP system I am not getting right, because sometimes trimming and retrimming corrects it, but I have had nothing similar in the Mi8.  

Exactly, it feels like your fighting the Yaw AP while it’s trying to hold a specific heading (kinda like the Ka-50)as opposed to just dampening movements. I’ve been just turning it off lately. 

• Like 1

So more playing about today and to highlight the issue I am talking about.

I have been testing the AI handover between seats and as mentioned in this thread the pedals create issues under certain cumstances.

Simple Test:

(no rudder helper selected in game options)

Go into a stable hover , switch to front seat, let AI settle the hover, switch back to the pilots seat and then perform a 90 degree turn to the left and maintain stable hover (something you might actually do)

Result:

When you take back over the pilots seat the all the controls controls are trimmed, obviously this is good as you don't want to crash on take over. The problem becomes the pedals, when I do 90 degree turn I am fighting this offset left by the AI, once my turn is complete I am having to dab left rudder now to maintain a heading. While doable this starts becoming extremely awkward as my brain/muscle memory is telling me I need to right rudder in a hover plus I am only having lightly feather left which is also awkward. My pedals being center spring (VKB's) are now completely out of wack to the helo controls.

To combat this you can reset trim, however as mentioned already the trim reset also zeros cyclic. I have managed to catch it and go back into hover but again this is making a simple task more difficult, resetting cyclic trim near the ground is not a good idea really.

Would this be an issue at 300m in forward flight, no, but it can be an issue else where.

The above is linked to the same prob with turning off Yaw AP, your pedals are stuck until you reset which cancels any cyclic trim.

While resetting the pedals may not be accurate neither is the current system but rather it is just tied to re-setting cyclic. 

Possible Solution:

I would assume there are different ways to to implement how the pedals work but adding a extra separate bind to re set the pedals would be easiest I would guess. This way you do not have to change the current behavior of the 2 ways to reset trim (double tap trim or trim reset)

You could double tap set-trim to reset all, current re-set trim could still be used to cancel both cyclic and pedals, plus the extra reset pedals only needs be used if a player wants. With those 3 options it would cover all bases IMHO with out effecting currently how the module works.

I would hazard a guess for those that like flying with the rudder helper, having a separate pedal re-set could also be useful.

With the above , on my cyclic I would map ''set-trim'' and ''pedal reset trim'' as "set-trim'' does 2 functions. 

Edited by Clogger

On 6/21/2021 at 5:23 AM, Rogue Trooper said:

I totally disagree!

Yaw AP is essential especially when landing to avoid spinning out of control. I find it very useful for takeoff and hovering as well.

I do turn it off when turning or hard maneuvering and use only rudder trim for fine adjustments, then when going on a long cruise, set all trims as best you can and

then turn on Yaw AP.

On landing, approach the LZ without AP and line up on it,  then turn on the AP. You can now land straight ahead with only cyclic and collective.

On takeoff, turn AP on before you start for hover check and transition to ETL. I have rudder trim turned on in the special tab and can use it as needed.

Yaw AP will align itself with whatever you have set with the trim button.   Used correctly, Yaw AP is your best friend. Check out my video here.

• Like 2

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

On 6/22/2021 at 4:04 PM, Clogger said:

The solution for this is pretty simple;

Can we have a separate bind to cancel any rudder trim that is not tied to the cyclic.

Currently a double tap of the trim button will re-set the pedals and cyclic, perhaps make the double tap for rudder trim only or double tapping re-set trim does the pedals etc..

My idea would be to get rid of the double tap thing (but keep as an option for those who like it, but I've had accidentally reset my trim severa times when trying to trim with short button presses in quick succession) and make the rudder untrim (recenter pedals with yaw AP channel off or retrim so the H channel needle is centered with it on so it gets the same amount of authority in both directions) slowly (so it won't kick you around instantly) when using the trimmer button (start untrimming on down, stop doing that on up) if rudder trimming is disabled in the options. That way we could gradually get that trim offset from the yaw AP channel out with the trimmer button (nothing wrong pressing it for a second or two) which is anyway a good idea to do after a turn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I like the Gazelles method of coming back to the pilot position after the auto pilot was holding a hover.

Polychops showed 2 Cyclic, pedal and collective positions on the joystick cheat, the autopilots controller positions were white and the gamers inputs the normal Red.

The Gamers inputs were centred and the auto pilots offset to hold the hover.

The gamer just needed to match the Auto pilots' pedal, cyclic and collective positions and then take control with minimal disturbance.

I guess in the case of the the Hind you would take control "holding" Hover and not trimmed to Hover.

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Rogue Trooper said:

I like the Gazelles method of coming back to the pilot position after the auto pilot was holding a hover.

Polychops showed 2 Cyclic, pedal and collective positions on the joystick cheat, the autopilots controller positions were white and the gamers inputs the normal Red.

The Gamers inputs were centred and the auto pilots offset to hold the hover.

The gamer just needed to match the Auto pilots' pedal, cyclic and collective positions and then take control with minimal disturbance.

I guess in the case of the the Hind you would take control "holding" Hover and not trimmed to Hover.

Agreed, The difference is I guess in the Hind is, ED are trying to replicate how real systems work where as in the Gaz it is a Faux auto hover ?? But yes I like how when you turn off auto hover in the Gaz you just catch the tail and then it is doing what you want instead of having to reset any trim that has been baked in.

Edited by Clogger

On 6/28/2021 at 12:18 AM, rayrayblues said:

I totally disagree!

Yaw AP is essential especially when landing to avoid spinning out of control. I find it very useful for takeoff and hovering as well.

I do turn it off when turning or hard maneuvering and use only rudder trim for fine adjustments, then when going on a long cruise, set all trims as best you can and

then turn on Yaw AP.

On landing, approach the LZ without AP and line up on it,  then turn on the AP. You can now land straight ahead with only cyclic and collective.

On takeoff, turn AP on before you start for hover check and transition to ETL. I have rudder trim turned on in the special tab and can use it as needed.

Yaw AP will align itself with whatever you have set with the trim button.   Used correctly, Yaw AP is your best friend. Check out my video here.

A lot of the flying of the Hind will end up being down to preference, however with the set up of the pedals a lot of the un wanted situations could be avoid IMHO with a simple way to centre the pedals that is not tied to the Cyclic.

Personally I have no probs with how the AP systems work for flight, Its worth bearing in mind IRL they are mechanical gyros and more then likely wouldn't be perfect. its only when I turn them off or take over from the AI pilot I run into issues. I now work around these issues but I would prefer it if ED could implement a separate rudder re-rest bind.

@Clogger

Mine are spring centered.

I use "rudder trim" to center the sideslip ball, then I engage the Yaw AP.  The physical pedals return to center and the virtual pedals stay where I set them.

To disengage the AP, I can just start from pedals centered without any problem because the yaw is still holding with the "rudder trim."

There is no need to disengage the AP unless you enter combat where you have to make fast maneuvers. You should then release AP and all other trims as well.

Reapply trims as necessary. After the battle and you are RTB, trim pitch, roll and yaw to nominal, then engage the Yaw AP for a smooth fight home.

Make sure to apply Yaw AP when landing, or you will spin out of control when exiting ETL. In short:  set trim first then AP, to exit, turn AP off first then trim as needed.

The one issue I do have though is engaging the trim button. I center my ball and level my vertical rate to 0. When I hit the trim button, my ship

goes into a 10 degree dive. I then have to pull back on the stick to level off again. I might even have to do it 2 or 3 times before it finally levels off. 

This is a known bug and they are supposed to be working on it.   

• Thanks 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

On 6/18/2021 at 1:04 PM, Clogger said:

If taking over from the AI pilot the pedals can be offset (regardless of YAW AP) , only way to centre pedals is to reset trim which again is tied to cyclic, not ideal if low and slow.

You can readjust rudder separate from the cyclic. No need to cancel all trims. Just set Rudder Trim on the special page.

I do not have any rudder assistance selected in game menus and all game avionics modes etc.. are de selected. 

You should.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦