An Open Letter to the Community

EvilBivol-1

Strange that you would have a choice between this and a set number of activations. Who the hell would choose a set number of activations over a weekly disk check??

I appreciate this information. I hope this is the way it works in the Western version. :)

Some people do not like having to have the CD in their drive, for fear it may self-destruct / get scratched.

I think if you can switch between Activations and Disk Check, then everyone should be happy with this.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people do not like having to have the CD in their drive, for fear it may self-destruct / get scratched.

I think if you can switch between Activations and Disk Check, then everyone should be happy with this.

You don't have to have the CD in the drive continually. Ever play FC? If its anything like that (and I will assume it is this, being called a "weekly disk check" and all), it will simply say that the protection has expired and ask you to put the disk in. You put it in, it does its thing, and BAM, you're good for another week.

I cannot see where anyone would rather have arbitrary activations over this unless even very brief contact, like less than it took you to install the program to begin with, between the CD/DVD and drive are not acceptable.

Edited by RedTiger

And this underlines where I said before that I hate that the CP scheme is not clearly described from the outset. I also bought Far Cry 2 and if I had known it used limited activations I would NOT have bought it simply on principle, but since I did I do not feel it is that big a deal as you said, first-person-shooters do not have a very long shelf life on my PC.

But simulations can last many many years and I do not like the idea that someday I will try to install Black Shark only to discover I have run out of activations and there is no way to fix it because the sim is no longer supported or the company has gone tits up.

Far Cry 2's SecurROM was made public a couple weeks before it was released. Also, it very clearly stated as such on the back of the box that it requires an online activation. It doesn't say "you have x amount of them and you can revoke one by uninstalling, yada yada yada", but they did warn you about activations. Enough that it would have been enough for you to not purchase it and do some research.

Things like this may not be possible to describe from the outset because the developer may not know from the outset! Just a few weeks ago I can remember Wags or EvilBivol saying that ED was in contact with Steam, presumably to discuss making BS available there. So, you could conclude that ED wasn't sure about its CP for the Western version until very recently.

What you COULD be sure about is that it would have one. That was very clear from the beginning. I have yet to see a CP system that at least someone doesn't complain about. So I kinda saw this coming, no matter the CP used.

Edited by RedTiger

This might have been talked about already,but here go's .As far as the number of activation allowed,weather it be 5 or 50 . In my case I use software on my PC to keep it clean,like spy-ware,mal-ware and registry cleaner. Mostly to remove unwanted INTERNET clutter. When I use the registry cleaner for example it will remove the activation for COD4 [online]. This is not a problem,because I get a activation time out on the first time I play on a server. I simply retry and it works. Would this be considered 1 activation on Black Shark.

Wouldn't these customers be knowledgeable enough to click on a single file called savekeys.exe to get their SF key backup?

If you can start a program by clicking on an icon you should be able to get a reg backup of your actvation keys in the same manner. No farting around in the registry needed what so ever AFAIK.

Out

In FC this has never worked through the numerous formats I had done, without hardware changes.

Granted I got a new key from ED when I asked, but it did lead me to get a CD version.

Well after reading the hole thing. I can say that if there is limit on the installation of the game I will not buy it. Even though this sim looks to be the next BIG sim

but here comes the funny part I can also buy it and then find a NOCD kinda thingy that removes the CP.

makes one wonder why CP is here :P

In FC this has never worked through the numerous formats I had done, without hardware changes.

Granted I got a new key from ED when I asked, but it did lead me to get a CD version.

For me the registry saving utility did work. I've reinstalled OS many times without hardware change and the saved registry did work, every time I'd reinstall OS, game etc... all I had to do was double click on saved registry entry and I could start the game without any activation as if I activated it already. Granted, once I did change hardware significantly (ie motherboard, CPU etc) saved registry did no longer work and I had to activate again using new activation key.

I wonder, if even with DVD we would be required to activate, why not give some really large number of activations (say 100 activations) to make sure we won't run out even in few years time... possibly even decade... or better for future DCS modules added to previous ones would add some sort of patch where activation is no longer required.

See with ArmA, before the patches you needed the original disk in drive in order to play the game. Even copy of the CD did not work. But with pathes it no longer ask for disk and I really like this. I think if you play one game only you could just keep disk in the drive all the time, but if not taking one disk out and non stop changing is really, really anoying :noexpression:

No longer active in DCS...

something for ED and the Publisher..

1st, the game is great. awesome. superb nice! And i will surely buy the copy rigt verison , If possilbe preorder it..

the things that i wanna says is that NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, the people who want to get the pirate version, they WILL get the pirate version. This is economic, there is demand, there will be supply.

So all the SF, disc check, online regist activation, ALL of these ,only will trouble the ppl who buy the copy right version. they got to worry about how many times they have installed this game, how is the damage of the disc dude to everyweek Disc check, and etc...

For the ppl who love this game, they will buy the copy right and all the upcoming aircraft mods. However, if the 1st game itself have lots of installation ,and usage problems, it will simplely let all the ppl who like the game to give up or feel angry.. Do you still remeber LOMAC? the disc problem? i brought 2 original copies, and in the end, i have to went online to download a pirate version. THAT'S SAD..

ppl like us, will play this game for a LONG TIME.. just the same as ur have planed, your will release one aircraft time by time. And that will take like 2 or 3 years? look at LO then you will know.

So plz, can your make something that will benefit all the copy right users in the long run?

And, there is NO WAY you can prevent pirate versions (look at mass effect), but there is NO WAY that you can force the ppl who LOVES your game to not spend money on your products... So plz, think again.. look at these ppl here, and the ppl out there. Your are not along!

Again, Thx for this wonderful game. And all the best for you upcoming events!

My personal opinion for a solution(s) which benefits both parties:

- DVD check once a week for hard copy owners.

- Activation for download customers. With unlimited de-activations

(It works quite well for Combat Mission Shock Force, which you can unlicence your copy and move it to a new machine if you so wish.. negating the hardware change issue, battlefront also have full access to the e-licence system and see where there are geniune requests for more activations and then action the customers request quickly.)

- CD key required to register on the forums to access the support section.

- The option to buy and download the game from Steam.

Yes these have been mentioned before in the thread, but since most people have an opinion in the thread I thought it suitable to share mine :)

Piracy is a virtually impossible thing to stop, but I believe a careful balance has to be struck between the honest paying customer and those who abuse the system, in order to avoid making the paying customer highly restricted in a product that they paid for, while those who cheat the company have free reign over a product they never paid for.

I am not going to sit here and get upset about it, because whatever will be will be and there has not been any fully official announcement or breakdown on how it will be. Of course if this thread is productive and some good can come from this sometimes heated debate there is little harm done.

ED\DCS has my full support.

Thanks for reading :thumbup:

Cheers

Have had Falcon (hate to use it as an example) for the past 10 years and have been happily flying with my Squadron mates for 8. I don't count the number of times I've changed hardware, machine, formatted or simply re-installed the sim. In the meantime I've spent time with many other games which, once finished, went into a box for good.

If you expect Squadrons to form up, mods to be installed and uninstalled, people will need a platform allowing them to do so. Limiting the number of activation on a product which, supposedly, will be on our machines for quite a long time, is not what I'd define "user friendly".

As it will not be possible to make a copy or fly without the dvd inserted, I'd like to know what happens if, after a year or two, the dvd becomes unusable? Will ED send me a new one?

As you seem the only kid on the block, at least for a while, I'd probably still buy it. Am I enthusiastic about the idea? No.

If the product is good people will buy it. This is not a game you take off the shelves and sell 15 days later. If you want it you buy the box, the manual and the nice keyboard or joystick layout that usually comes with the DVD.

Keeping it simple is an option.

• Like 1

Cheers,

Nev

i7@3.8 / 2 SSD OCZ Vertex 2 + 2 Velociraptor / 12GB DDR3 / nV480GTX / 40' LED / T-iR5 / soon HOTAS Warthog / CH Pro Pedals

Q6600 / 2x74GB Raptor / 750 GB Hitachi / 4GB DDR II OCZ / 8800 GTS 512 / Track-IR / Cougar / CH Pro Pedals

Imho,

The three previous posts above hit the nail on the head.

What annoys me most though is this:

In the vain hope of finding a retailer who could get me a LEGAL copy of BS, I done a search yesterday online, I will stress, I was looking to buy a ligitimate copy of the software. As susspected no luck!...however, I did come across a number of sites where I could download the game (please dont ask for links)

Given that the software is out there and free, what possible reason can the distributors have for not making a D/L available...that just seems madness!!!

Their almost saying "you cant buy a legal copy because someone has stolen it and made it available free of charge"

And we sit here like the dedicated simmers we are with our money in our hands waiting to pay for it.

Pirates thrive in a supply and demand market place that is not meet or is too exspensive. I appeal on behalf of everyone here with the morals not to use stolen software.......Please give us the option to purchase this game and use it legally!!!!

Regards,

I5 - 1TB SSHD, 256 SSD - Nvidia 1070 - 16gb ram - CV1

Where is this activation debate coming from suddenly.

We have (more restrictive) Activations with FC than we will have with BS and still we have squadrons, mods and a cool community around FC.

This thing is getting some drama queen attitude lately.

Groove,

You personally directed the guy who tried to set up a new polling thread on this subject to this thread..now your suprised its being discussed?

• Like 1

I meant the whole debate, not the poll Gary ;)

Groove,

My mistake....Sorry..

Personally I dont have any opinion on the CP issue...ED are free to use whatever they see fit...seems pointless to me, but obviously their decision of course....

Now making it available.....oh yes, I have lots of opinions about that!!...lol

• ED Team

Yes things went FUBAR lately, nobody wanted that, nobody expected that.

Yes, SF is more than controverse, especially their stunts in their early company history. Still if you check the average age of forums members sometimes im getting a feeling like people behave irrationally on internet forums just because they "can't" in real life.

Just my personal opinion on that matter. Right now ED is one of the few companies releasing hi-fidelity sims, still lets kick them and punch them. Im sure that will motivate them to make more and better sims.

Ah hell, im back to read Faust!

Groove out.

We both know...every serious simmer out there will buy BS, whatever the CP..

To be fair, I dont think many are kicking out at ED over SF, just pleading with ED not to use it...

Where is this activation debate coming from suddenly.

We have (more restrictive) Activations with FC than we will have with BS and still we have squadrons, mods and a cool community around FC.

DVD version of FC hasn´t got activations, and thats perfect.

If BS use the same, great then, and we will shut up.

I don´t want a rent game, i don´t want wait till they send me more activations just because i format, or change lot of hardware as tester or whatever i do with my game because i pay for it.

Legal user --> lots of problems

Piracy user --> no problem

A pity, ED please see that everybody or 95% are gonna pay for the sim, please don´t put as more difficult.

Greetings

P.D. What about that protection that always ask for DVD to play and can´t copy because in the middle of DVD has a ghost circle with no data.

What a mess... :(

Well in the middle of all this the only things that I understood were that the russian version of the product has alredy been compromised in terms of CP. EB said that ED may remove the weekly disk check and settle for activations for estern launch wich kinda worries me because that scheme was much more practical for my flamming cliffs CD copy.

I hate to think that I will have to beg for more activations over the internet and subject myself to response times, so i have to ask, was the CD check scheme the reason why the russian launch went badly?

If not can we please stick with it? Otherwise honest buyers will pay for the pirates.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

The thing is you can never stop pirates, so why make it difficult for genuine buyers with the activations etc.?

I constantly upgrade my computer hardware / software, and protection like StarForce just makes it more difficult and unnecessary. I have many other things to say but I'm not allowed to express the rest of my opinion otherwise I'll get a warning, great.

It is a shame that it got pirated, i felt like they were stealing my work, since you can see how much effort was put in the making of the sim, I just hope ed never gets tired of creating simulators. About the protection thing; I will buy it no matter what system is used, I think that this sim is worth the little annoyances that may appear.

What a mess... :(

Well in the middle of all this the only things that I understood were that the russian version of the product has alredy been compromised in terms of CP. EB said that ED may remove the weekly disk check and settle for activations for estern launch wich kinda worries me because that scheme was much more practical for my flamming cliffs CD copy.

I hate to think that I will have to beg for more activations over the internet and subject myself to response times, so i have to ask, was the CD check scheme the reason why the russian launch went badly?

If not can we please stick with it? Otherwise honest buyers will pay for the pirates.

Yeah like the same week, that is a shame!

Yes things went FUBAR lately, nobody wanted that, nobody expected that.

Yes, SF is more than controverse, especially their stunts in their early company history. Still if you check the average age of forums members sometimes im getting a feeling like people behave irrationally on internet forums just because they "can't" in real life.

Just my personal opinion on that matter. Right now ED is one of the few companies releasing hi-fidelity sims, still lets kick them and punch them. Im sure that will motivate them to make more and better sims.

Ah hell, im back to read Faust!

Groove out.

WELL SAID !