DCS: F/A-18C RISE OF THE PERSIAN LION CAMPAIGN RELEASED

Mission 7. Even though I have watched Wags video over and over on the ATFLIR targeting pod I obviously have no idea what the heck I am doing.

I can not figure out how to get a target lined up in the targeting pod. His video makes it seem fairly simple but I obviously am not getting it.

I can not figure out how to slew the dang thing to the target - there is no indication of where I am slewing it to, so am just moving the camera around blindly. Augh! I am flying with limited icons on so it is not like I don't have an idea of where it is. But have no way I can see of telling where I am moving the camera to and can not get it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

4 hours ago, dburne said:

Mission 7. Even though I have watched Wags video over and over on the ATFLIR targeting pod I obviously have no idea what the heck I am doing.

I can not figure out how to get a target lined up in the targeting pod. His video makes it seem fairly simple but I obviously am not getting it.

I can not figure out how to slew the dang thing to the target - there is no indication of where I am slewing it to, so am just moving the camera around blindly. Augh! I am flying with limited icons on so it is not like I don't have an idea of where it is. But have no way I can see of telling where I am moving the camera to and can not get it.

its  not much  different  to  the  other  pod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGAYvzY6k8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFL-qGtMN6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiY9564RXZ0&t=412s

Edited by pete_auau

Thanks - I was getting closer by using VVSLV to try and find them  but had to stop this evening before I had a chance to find the vehicles, will resume again tomorrow. I am sure I will get it eventually. One thing I am is persistant.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

7 hours ago, dburne said:

Thanks - I was getting closer by using VVSLV to try and find them  but had to stop this evening before I had a chance to find the vehicles, will resume again tomorrow. I am sure I will get it eventually. One thing I am is persistant.

The way I approach it in mission 7 is:

1 use the moving vehicle mode radar to lock the convoy.

2 you can then identify by switching to FLIR which will slave to the radar lock

3 when cleared hot back to moving radar and select mav which should be set up radar. This will lock to radar if uncaged. The problem is that it does not always get a perfect lock. I fly towards the target caging and uncaging frequently until sure I have a good lock using mav screen.

4 once you have hit one vehicle you can then set FLIR to velocity vector mode and identify the burning vehicle below. Once you have this you can search with the FLIR using the TDC they will have pulled over close by.  Easy then to target with your weapons.
5 Once you have hit second vehicle you can search from that point as the other will be local.

Tip: one of the vehicles has all the high explosives 🧨 🤔
Hope this helps

Badger633

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

What are sinkers? Usually that refers to the mooring or launcher of a sea mine. I can't get anywhere close enough to the target area to see anything before I get launched on by SA6. They tell you the limit is 14nm, but I'm getting shot at 25nm. I couldn't see anything at that range.

1 hour ago, LastRifleRound said:

What are sinkers? Usually that refers to the mooring or launcher of a sea mine. I can't get anywhere close enough to the target area to see anything before I get launched on by SA6. They tell you the limit is 14nm, but I'm getting shot at 25nm. I couldn't see anything at that range.

Sinkers are subs. They are not directly at the coordinates given you have to search for them at the harbour.

• Like 1

I feel the need The need for jet engines to create thrust in order to have differential pressure on the wings which achieves aerodynamics lift at high velocity Ooww!! :pilotfly:

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

3 hours ago, Badger633 said:

3 when cleared hot back to moving radar and select mav which should be set up radar. This will lock to radar if uncaged. The problem is that it does not always get a perfect lock. I fly towards the target caging and uncaging frequently until sure I have a good lock using mav screen.

4 once you have hit one vehicle you can then set FLIR to velocity vector mode and identify the burning vehicle below. Once you have this you can search with the FLIR using the TDC they will have pulled over close by.  Easy then to target with your weapons.
5 Once you have hit second vehicle you can search from that point as the other will be local.

Hope this helps

Badger633

Thanks much for the tips, will be working on this today for sure.

:doh: I had forgot about radar GMT mode - that should be very helpful as I was only using the ATFLIR to try and find them.

Edited by dburne

Don B

9 hours ago, Badger633 said:

Hope this helps

Badger633

It definitely helps I am getting there! However now for some reason my Mavs are falling short of the target. I am only about 6 miles out when I fire them off.

Edit: Ah crap I think I know why, forgot to change the FLIR to moving target (Auto). That must be why they fall short.

Off to try again. :doh:

So much to remember so little time lol.

Edited by dburne

Don B

1 hour ago, dburne said:

It definitely helps I am getting there! However now for some reason my Mavs are falling short of the target. I am only about 6 miles out when I fire them off.

Edit: Ah crap I think I know why, forgot to change the FLIR to moving target (Auto). That must be why they fall short.

Off to try again. :doh:

So much to remember so little time lol.

Don't use the FLIR after initial identification use moving radar to lock and then move to Mav using the lock and unlock until you are quite close and sure the MAV has got a lock. 

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

4 minutes ago, Badger633 said:

Don't use the FLIR after initial identification use moving radar to lock and then move to Mav using the lock and unlock until you are quite close and sure the MAV has got a lock. 

Ah ok thanks much will give that a try.

Don B

Ugh still coming up short. Not sure what is going on, will keep trying,

Don B

I got an auto lock on the vehicle in the ATFLIR, never could uncage the Mav though.

Man so close yet so freakin far...

Smoke break then will try again.

Don B

35 minutes ago, Mower said:

Is GMT mode fully functional now?  I never find any ground movers.

I find the ground movers and can get a lock in GMT but my Mavs fall way short every time.

Trying to work with the ATFLIR now to get it done, Perseverance... 

Don B

Welp even using Auto on the ATFLIR on the moving vehicle Mavs still coming up short. And using the lock on the GMT radar - Mavs come up short as well.

I do not know what the heck is going on - and yes laser is armed.

Been going at it most of the day, will maybe try fresh again tomorrow afternoon.  Seems though if I keep doing it like I am doing I will continue to get same result. And I just don't know what I am missing on this one.

If only it was as easy as Wags makes it look in his videos...

What I would give for a JTAC right now to do the lasing for me lol.

Edited by dburne

Don B

3 minutes ago, dburne said:

Welp even using Auto on the ATFLIR on the moving vehicle Mavs still coming up short. And using the lock on the GMT radar - Mavs come up short as well.

I do not know what the heck is going on - and yes laser is armed.

Been going at it most of the day, will maybe try fresh again tomorrow afternoon.  Seems though if I keep doing it like I am doing I will continue to get same result. And I just don't know what I am missing on this one.

If only it was as easy as Wags makes it look in his videos...

What I would give for a JTAC right now to do the lasing for me lol.

I will do it tomorrow and list exactly what I do. You don't need the laser. Just radar lock but your going to have to fly quite close to them caging and uncaging to ensure a lock. 

34 minutes ago, Badger633 said:

I will do it tomorrow and list exactly what I do. You don't need the laser. Just radar lock but your going to have to fly quite close to them caging and uncaging to ensure a lock. 

Ok thanks so much, I appreciate it.

Just tried again and as I suspected I got the same result. Mavs falling short.

Don B

What is strange is, I have been trying this two different ways.

1: If I use the ATFLIR targeting pod, I can get it on the three vehicles. I can clearly see them moving along the road with the IR camera in the pod. 

I then move the sensor control switch to get Scene Mode, then again to get Auto Mode. As I understand it auto should lock on that moving vehicle. But mine apparently is not, once I get it to Auto mode with cursor over that last vehicle, the cursor does not move with the vehicle it just stays stationary as the vehicles continue to move. Auto should lock that cursor onto that vehicle as I understand it. Tried this several times with the same result, cursor always stays stationary. I do not understand why it is not locking on that vehicle when I select Auto with the sensor control switch.

2: Using your method, I set radar to GMT. I move the cursor over the icon representing the vehicles. I then move the sensor control switch again to lock it up , which it does. I then have it on my FLIR and call it in and get clearance to launch. I uncage the Mav and press cage/uncage repeatedly till I get Maverick in shoot position (not crossed out).  I launch the Mav, and every time it comes up short. I am within like 6 miles of the vehicle when I launch.

I repeatedly tried this both ways as above today and every time I got the same result for each of the two ways I tried.

Don B

Watching videos again and it seems I am doing everything correctly for using the ATFLIR to lock on a moving target.

At this point I am wondering if I was just simply not close enough to get a lock on the moving target. I think I recall in the Lightening one had to be pretty close to get a ptrk lock.

I will be trying again later this afternoon.

edit: @Badger633 if you have not checked this on your end yet, hold off maybe I can get it figured out on my own. Hate to put you out over some simple thing I am probably missing. There has to be a reason I am not getting an auto lock on the moving vehicle and I suspect distance may be it.  Won't be able to check until later in the afternoon here.

I see the three vehicles in the targeting pod easily enough it is just getting that auto lock to take on the moving vehicle.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Can't really help much with your locking with ATFLIR, but consider that both the TGT pods and GMT radars are just 'helpers' for the IR Mav's to give it a location to look at when caged.

It's still the IR seeker head on the Maverick that determines its target, when caged it will try and slew to a TGT and detect a suitable IR signature from its field of view.

If you are able to identify the rough location of the target, you can use the normal IR Mav 'hold Target button and Slew' sequence to lock it directly from the seeker head.

Hope that helps a little.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dburne said:

Watching videos again and it seems I am doing everything correctly for using the ATFLIR to lock on a moving target.

At this point I am wondering if I was just simply not close enough to get a lock on the moving target. I think I recall in the Lightening one had to be pretty close to get a ptrk lock.

I will be trying again later this afternoon.

edit: @Badger633 if you have not checked this on your end yet, hold off maybe I can get it figured out on my own. Hate to put you out over some simple thing I am probably missing. There has to be a reason I am not getting an auto lock on the moving vehicle and I suspect distance may be it.  Won't be able to check until later in the afternoon here.

I see the three vehicles in the targeting pod easily enough it is just getting that auto lock to take on the moving vehicle.

HI

Have a look at my Campaign Tips Video.

Rise of the Persian Lion, Mission 7, Initial Mav attack on convoy.

Hope this helps

Badger633 

Edited by Badger633
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger633 said:

HI

Have a look at my Campaign Tips Video.

Rise of the Persian Lion, Mission 7, Initial Mav attack on convoy.

Hope this helps

Badger633 

Thanks much!

Yeah appears you are closer to the targets than I was, probably why my Mavs kept falling short.

I am going to try it first getting a lock on that last vehicle using the ATFLIR by getting closer , if still not successful I will go back and try again using the radar GMT.

Don B

This is nuts.

This time using ATFLIR, I got an auto lock on the third moving vehicle, it stays locked as it was moving, all good to go. Within 2 miles of the target, so yeah getting closer gave me a positive lock.

But still - the Mavs falling short! I fired off both of them, both fell short of the moving target!

Everything was done right per the videos I watched. Got a positive Auto lock on the moving target within 2 miles, lock stayed on target as it was moving. Mavs still falling short - augh!

Don B

Just tried it both ways, GMT on Radar, and ATFLIR.

I get a lock, but Mavs fall short.

I will try this next run from a lower altitude.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Ok I got it! It was really easy this time, got the third vehicle in line using ATFLIR targeting pod on Auto, launched a Mav and blew him along with the two other vehicles as well to smithereens with one Mav! Piece of cake!

So... I did two things differently than I have been. First I came in at a lower altitude. Second, I did not arm the LTD. I suspect it was the latter I was doing wrong?

In any event even though I got it, get to do it again - unfortunately got careless and crashed in the ocean on final to the Abe :doh:.

• Like 1

Don B