DCS: F/A-18C RISE OF THE PERSIAN LION CAMPAIGN RELEASED

I follow the track in the SA page for WP4 260ish degrees. Another question. If I didn't get all the bandits why do I get told to go to WP4? Is that radio message set for X minutes after Y occurs. Just seems somewhat unfair to tell me I screwed up when it is way too late to do anything about it. And, as already stated, I didn't land at Khasab because I hadn't been given instruction to do so, so I am not sure how that is a failure. I will try to email the track to you.

14 hours ago, CBStu said:

I follow the track in the SA page for WP4 260ish degrees. Another question. If I didn't get all the bandits why do I get told to go to WP4? Is that radio message set for X minutes after Y occurs. Just seems somewhat unfair to tell me I screwed up when it is way too late to do anything about it. And, as already stated, I didn't land at Khasab because I hadn't been given instruction to do so, so I am not sure how that is a failure. I will try to email the track to you.

Hi

Don't understand why you are having this problem.

When all migs are down you will be told by your wingman “all migs down”

I will try and recreate this end but it would be really helpful if you send your track file.

Cheers

EDIT: I have just now flown the mission through without any problems cannot recreate  your issue this end. I think you are drifting back towards the ABE where you will get a fail.  I have reduced the size of the ABE fail zone to help  if drifting south. Will be in next update.

Hope this helps

Edited by Badger633

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed the first 3 missions of this Campaign in the standard level & very much enjoying it so far & It's nice to do something different for change. The voice over banter is cool & was nice to start with a AAR too.

Looking forward to to rest of this one.

Thanks again Badger, good value mate 👍    

Edited by GazAce

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

1 hour ago, GazAce said:

Just completed the first 3 missions of this Campaign in the standard level & very much enjoying it so far & It's nice to do something different for change. The voice over banter is cool & was nice to start with a AAR too.

Looking forward to to rest of this one.

Thanks again Badger, good value mate 👍    

Glad your enjoying the campaign that's what its all about 🙂👍

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

• 1 month later...

Loking at a good reviews of this campaign I hate to be that guy, but in my opinion this campaign has the worst air-to-air experience I've had in DCS ever since started in 2011.. Why would you think that teleporting enemy almost straight into a fox two range with you against the sun and clouds being outnumbered 2 to 1 is such a good idea? Good luck winning from the first try being in VR when you can't even see the HUD in enemy's direction clearly (feature of this particular map at the selected time of day) with no labels and 1 aim120 on you and you being in a lower energy state. IRL one would have just fire a fox three and run away from this nonsense and noone would blame him for this. This is so bad that in my opinion campaign would only benefit if these encounters were removed completely from it. I'm so far at mission 8 but I don't think I can continue campaign after seeing this AGAIN, it just pisses me off how wrong it feels.

I mean for sure after you replay the mission again you'll definitely be able to plan and beat them because you KNOW they are coming but at first it will be completely random and you are likely fail and feel cheated, like you have no control or strategy or planning what so ever. I mean how in a right mind can you assume that it's possible to bring 4 old fighters unnoticed into an area of air-to-ground operations over the god damn sea at 5-10k feet without being noticed by AWACS??? How is that possible that a tanker is flying around in such conditions like nothing happens??? This is just crazy and completely brakes immersion.. Like in hell would US Navy operate like this knowing that Iran can send full wings into the fight, at least we would see a couple of amraam trucks CAPing around.. and Iranians should have been at least flying at really low altitude to be noticed as late as possible for this suicide mission but still would be spotted at least 50 miles before entering operations area..  And why is that I can't control what is my wingman doing? In mission 8 he just flies around doing nothing, knowing this campaign "feature" I would have placed him at high altitude for a CAP at least. After these developments the tip to set up SA after briefing feels like a joke.

I can definitely see the efforts made and this campaign is enjoyable and everything is fine except these teleporting fighters. This by definition is a bad game design as at the end it forces players to spend 40 minutes for rather boring and easy things like to start up, take off and kill helpless ground targets just to try this difficulty spike with teleporting thing again, but being at this time further from action and in a better position to start the fight. And it still feels wrong, it may have worked in some kind of ACE combat thing with some checkpoint save system but not here really, it's just not fun in a sim. It's like you are watching a nice serious drama movie where everything is fine with a plot and at the culmination of this movie after some dialogue you have a baddie taking a bazooka out of his trousers and start shooting at protagonist point blank...

I see that you have a higher difficulty in the same package, so would it be more reasonable to make a standard campaign not immersion braking and leave these gameish things for that higher difficluty for the players who already made thorugh it and just seeks for something to challenge themselves? Although IMO such dogfighting experince still can be done in an editor in 5 minutes and doesn't worth it to be placed in an overall nicely made campaign..

FYI this is first time ever I hate playing a paid single player experience in DCS and I've been playing since 2011 and have many modules and campaigns purchased and played through.. I mean even FC3 Fortress Mozdok feels better and actuallly masochistically fun - I'm OK with being outnumbered 3 to 1 and dying 10 times in a row but when I know what's coming, when I don't need to wait 40 minutes to try again and when I have control over my wing to try different strategies and tactics. I would have forgiven a failed trigger or some other stupid thing accidentally happening in campaign. But doing THIS intentionally with 40 minutes of clicking in between? No, thanks.

I can see now how this F10 function for skipping missions is justified. Maybe it would make sense to use skipping to action function instead though, like we have in F16C Red Flag campaign, for example. In this case procedural guys would be able to enjoy the full mission without anything experience-braking and challenge guys would be able to just jump straight into action and be jumped by the enemy like they wanted it.

Edited by Fiztex
  • Like 1

• ED Team

Thread cleaned, please remember the rules when posting. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 4 weeks later...

Well you are "that guy"🙄

I am now on #10 and loved every mission so far. Wonderfull. if your read the reviews dont let "that guy" put you off. Its Great fun. 

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2

David Murden.  MSFS2020   DCS   

10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON  Asus ROG Strix Z490-E  32GB DDR4 CL14 3200MHz RTX 3080  Corsair iCUE H150i Pro XT 360mm 

Corsair HX850i Platinum Plus 2x 1TB Samsung EVO Plus M.2  Phanteks Enthoo Evolo X Case  Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & TPR 

TrackIR • Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • Internet BT 75 Mbps Unlimited 

Airframes  A10CII • AV-8B • F-14A/B • F-16C • F/A-18C •  Supercarrier  Terrains • Nevada NTTR • Persian Gulf • Syria 

1 час назад, Nyxx сказал:

Well you are "that guy"🙄

I am now on #10 and loved every mission so far. Wonderfull. if your read the reviews dont let "thats guy" put you off. Its Great fun. 

Good for you, I've abandoned this one. Enjoying other campaigns a lot though, it's just every campaign designer has it's own style and apparently this one is not for me, and I was just suprised how foreign and off this one felt comparing to others I've played. Review is a review, everyone can go through it and decide if the things mentioned are important for them or not, no need to judge other players if you don't like the review, right?

Edited by Fiztex

2 hours ago, Fiztex said:

no need to judge other players if you don't like the review, right?

Like you said your very self in your first line "Loking at a good reviews of this campaign I hate to be that guy" then you went on to be in your very own words "that guy" I am not judge you, each to there own, and you should point out what you dislike, but after 10 missions ive not seen at all when your talking about. So am pointing out like many others how good this campaign is. I hope that review is ok right? 

Edited by Nyxx

10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON  Asus ROG Strix Z490-E  32GB DDR4 CL14 3200MHz RTX 3080  Corsair iCUE H150i Pro XT 360mm 

Corsair HX850i Platinum Plus 2x 1TB Samsung EVO Plus M.2  Phanteks Enthoo Evolo X Case  Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & TPR 

Airframes  A10CII • AV-8B • F-14A/B • F-16C • F/A-18C •  Supercarrier  Terrains • Nevada NTTR • Persian Gulf • Syria 

1 час назад, Nyxx сказал:

Like you said your very self in your first line "Loking at a good reviews of this campaign I hate to be that guy" then you went on to be in your very own words "that guy" I am not judge you, each to there own, and you should point out what you dislike, but after 10 missions ive not seen at all when your talking about. So am pointing out like many others how good this campaign is. I hope that review is ok right? 

Nah, that's fine, you can have your review on my review if that is what you want, no problem 😉

For anyone curious this teleporting happens at least in mission 6 (after you kill 2 helicopters 4xF4s spawn 20 miles from you) and in mission 8 (4xF4s spawn 15-20 miles away after you kill the truck). Could be that it happens later on too, but I dropped this campaign after this happened to me again in mission 8, as this kind of suprising action is just not for me, I'm into more realstic stuff here while this campaign feels more like an action movie.

@NyxxKind of strange that you missed that if you are on mission 10 already. Both times I was accidently in a very bad position not expecting such teleporting and this felt really awkward and wrong. I admit that I was too emotional in my review, but I was literally pissed when I wrote it and tried to hold myself as much as I could, and I'm sorry if that still offended anyone. BTW taking just the facts from it I'm not alone thinking not good about it:

Edited by Fiztex

There is a really good reason why there is that fight in mission 8 and it’s a key part in the story, it has little to do with you as lead, but unless you complete the mission you would not know and I will not say anymore as it would be a spoiler. I killed one of the F4 and the wing man killed the other 3. All for a good reason. Finish the mission and the F4’s play there part in the story unlike a normal fight. That fight is for a reason and not a normal engagement. It’s your wingman that calls the sighting and engage them all for a good reason. Does not matter at all if they spawn in as you say because it’s sort of a scripted fight. That unfolds later.

Its kind of strange you missed that. You missed the hole point of that mission.

It was a great mission. Probably the most memorable one so far.

Edited by Nyxx

8 часов назад, Nyxx сказал:

There is a really good reason why there is that fight in mission 8 and it’s a key part in the story, it has little to do with you as lead, but unless you complete the mission you would not know and I will not say anymore as it would be a spoiler. I killed one of the F4 and the wing man killed the other 3. All for a good reason. Finish the mission and the F4’s play there part in the story unlike a normal fight. That fight is for a reason and not a normal engagement. It’s your wingman that calls the sighting and engage them all for a good reason. Does not matter at all if they spawn in as you say because it’s sort of a scripted fight. That unfolds later.

Its kind of strange you missed that. You missed the hole point of that mission.

It was a great mission. Probably the most memorable one so far.

Yes, I think I miss the whole point of teleporting fighters and other immersion braking features of it, and I'm pretty sure it would be possible to play it out in a more realistic way without hurting the story.

Again, good that you've liked it but there are plenty of campaigns out there with a great stories which don't brake immersion like this one does. In my opinion the story should never hurt simulation aspect of the game, that's why for example I'll never buy Rising Squall campaign because of gameplay features given on the store page, though story might be great there too. Problem with this one is that you read a description and expect something like Raven One but you get a complete different animal, and for me with more than 10 different campaigns played through it was a first one and completely unexpected.. if only we had a review section in the store all this could've been avoided.

On 10/19/2021 at 10:24 AM, Badger633 said:

Glad your enjoying the campaign that's what its all about 🙂👍

Ive done all your Campaigns and very much enjoying this one, I just wanted to say a big thank you for your work. Please keep doing them.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just quickly checking in to say I just completed the campaign, and I liked it a lot. I am pretty sure I now know how to use virtually all systems in the F-18 since I had no issues completing the mission mostly on the first go. I have played some harder campaign's before and this one is a think a good introduction for a beginning to intermediate player to understand the mechanics of how most campaigns and weapon systems work. When I receive my new VR headset I will try again but the harder campaign to see If I can still do well. 🙂

Looking forward to your next campaign. A couple more review points:

- I liked the small explanations about what you need to be able to do to complete a mission. 

- The radio communications were easy, could be more complex in future for me. All voice over's were great, and also some extra explanations on what to do along the way worked in there. Well done.

- I would have liked some more realistic A/A intercepts. Sometimes the AI enemy almost spawns on top of you and that's sometimes a bit unrealistic, but does make it more dangerous for you, so I understand the reasoning.

Keep up the good work!

14 hours ago, mimikiwi said:

Just quickly checking in to say I just completed the campaign, and I liked it a lot. I am pretty sure I now know how to use virtually all systems in the F-18 since I had no issues completing the mission mostly on the first go. I have played some harder campaign's before and this one is a think a good introduction for a beginning to intermediate player to understand the mechanics of how most campaigns and weapon systems work. When I receive my new VR headset I will try again but the harder campaign to see If I can still do well. 🙂

Looking forward to your next campaign. A couple more review points:

- I liked the small explanations about what you need to be able to do to complete a mission. 

- The radio communications were easy, could be more complex in future for me. All voice over's were great, and also some extra explanations on what to do along the way worked in there. Well done.

- I would have liked some more realistic A/A intercepts. Sometimes the AI enemy almost spawns on top of you and that's sometimes a bit unrealistic, but does make it more dangerous for you, so I understand the reasoning.

Keep up the good work!

Hi

Thanks for the kind words.

Started work on the next campaign. Yes, this will need you to manipulate the radios more and will include more BVR A2A intercepts.

As I say in the ROPL sales text the ethos of the campaign is not necessarily to capture reality but to hopefully  produce a series of immersive  and interesting missions  set within an evolving  plot line.  The pilot will sometimes find himself in missions tailored to test certain skills which wouldn’t normally happen in reality. As you suggest the missions where bandits are declared quite late are to test the pilots skills at close quarters, so not just BVR engagements.

As in the Serpent’s Head, the Serpent’s Head 2 and Rise of the Persian Lion the next one will continue ‘Fords’ exploits within the continuing storyline.

Glad you enjoyed the campaign and best of luck with the harder version.

Badger633 🙂👍

Edited by Badger633
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

@Badger633

I am currently now enjoying another run through of Rise of the Persian Lion.

One thing that has me perplexed - and pretty sure it did on my first run through of it a few months ago, is in Mission 7. I did successfully complete it after almost a day of trying, however not being real clear on how I managed that I am doing it again - I like to know how I complete a mission. 

The issue I am running in to is with the three moving vehicles I am to attack with my IR Mavs. I have triple checked the procedure for launching these with the targeting pod but just does not seem to be behaving as it should. I set my ATFLIR to Auto for moving target, and get a valid lock with the targeting pod - the lock symbol travels with the vehicle - so all good there. My issue comes when I move the sensor to the Mav display and uncage. It shows a lock but it is a stationary lock, it does not travel with the vehicle. So I end up caging/uncaging , moving sensor control back to right DDI, then back to left DDI, and just keep caging/uncaging. Eventually I will get lucky and get a valid lock on the moving vehicle that stays with the vehicle.

In previous Serpents Head 2 I had zero issue doing this same type of setup with the Lightening Pod. But for some reason seems the ATFLIR and Mav display are just not talking to each other properly. Any thoughts on this? I am within 5 miles of the vehicles, usually around 3. Is it an issue currently with DCS?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, dburne said:

@Badger633

I am currently now enjoying another run through of Rise of the Persian Lion.

One thing that has me perplexed - and pretty sure it did on my first run through of it a few months ago, is in Mission 7. I did successfully complete it after almost a day of trying, however not being real clear on how I managed that I am doing it again - I like to know how I complete a mission. 

The issue I am running in to is with the three moving vehicles I am to attack with my IR Mavs. I have triple checked the procedure for launching these with the targeting pod but just does not seem to be behaving as it should. I set my ATFLIR to Auto for moving target, and get a valid lock with the targeting pod - the lock symbol travels with the vehicle - so all good there. My issue comes when I move the sensor to the Mav display and uncage. It shows a lock but it is a stationary lock, it does not travel with the vehicle. So I end up caging/uncaging , moving sensor control back to right DDI, then back to left DDI, and just keep caging/uncaging. Eventually I will get lucky and get a valid lock on the moving vehicle that stays with the vehicle.

In previous Serpents Head 2 I had zero issue doing this same type of setup with the Lightening Pod. But for some reason seems the ATFLIR and Mav display are just not talking to each other properly. Any thoughts on this? I am within 5 miles of the vehicles, usually around 3. Is it an issue currently with DCS?

Hi

To be honest the lighting columns along the road cause a problem in DCS at the moment. If using the ATFLIR maybe approach so the lamps are behind the vehicle and not in front interrupting the lock. Maybe this will change with the new FLIR coming?

Currently I would use your ground radar to help with the moving vehicle mode. I have done a video to show exactly how it is done. Link below

Hope this helps.

7 minutes ago, Badger633 said:

Hi

To be honest the lighting columns along the road cause a problem in DCS at the moment. If using the ATFLIR maybe approach so the lamps are behind the vehicle and not in front interrupting the lock. Maybe this will change with the new FLIR coming?

Currently I would use your ground radar to help with the moving vehicle mode. I have done a video to show exactly how it is done. Link below

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that, will check out using GMT as well.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Ok so I gave another try still using Targeting Pod along with the Mav's. This time I came in from a different direction and had no problem at all, it worked just fine as it should. So I would say you are right about the lights situation.

Anyway glad I got it this time as I was supposed to now I can move along LOL.

Thanks for the help,

• Like 1

Don B

• 3 weeks later...

Man could u fix the stupid wingman in mission 10. He doesnt perform his tasks, most of times he dont kill the choppers and i need to do it, when im already engaged ground targets....2 times.

And after that he dont even help me to deal with fkin MiGs, he just watch until i die. 

I cant complete that mission because of him.

On 3/7/2022 at 7:07 PM, VDV said:

Man could u fix the stupid wingman in mission 10. He doesnt perform his tasks, most of times he dont kill the choppers and i need to do it, when im already engaged ground targets....2 times.

And after that he dont even help me to deal with fkin MiGs, he just watch until i die. 

I cant complete that mission because of him.

Will have a look at it. Always worked previously. However, there has been a lot of DCS updates over the last few months which have changed how the AI behaves, this disrupting a lot of campaign missions. The wingman should engage the Migs as well but only one of them.

Which mission 10 are you playing, Harder or normal?

EDIT: Have re-scripted  both so should work now. Will be in next DCS update.

Thanks

Badger633

Edited by Badger633
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...