After stall, unable to recover

skywalker22
Go to solution Solved by Jetguy06,

As you will see from the video bellow, I stopped the airplane vertically (perpendicular to the ground). After coming closer to the ground, the airplane leveled it self, and from then on, I wasn`t able to push the nose down, to recover from from the stall, even with full afterburner on. That`s really strange to me, and not as expected from a plane like F-16 with an awesome thrust to weight ratio.

And I suppose its all the same for all DCS fighterjets.

• Like 1

Have you tried using the MPO (manual pitch override) switch? This would give your elevators a larger deflection and greater chance of recovering from a deep stall.

Deep stalls are an actual viper issue. 

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/f-16-deep-stall-recoveries-desdemona-tnos-unique-simon-davies&ved=2ahUKEwiO5P2ap_zxAhWKOOwKHZfzAqkQjjgwAHoECAMQAg&usg=AOvVaw3MXkXaF5pRZbdrPl8XUrIg

Edited by Sinclair_76
Link / grammar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sinclair_76 said:

Have you tried using the MPO (manual pitch override) switch? This would give your elevators a larger deflection and greater chance of recovering from a deep stall.

No, I know its there, but still, with that thrust, it should get out of that stall position. My logic, not saying its correct, but still.

• Like 1

A stall is not a problem of trust. It is a problem of AoA. When your flight control are ineffective, thrust won't help. It can even be worse in some case preventing to put nose down.

Only solution is the procedure using MPO. Air-brakes out and or lowering the landing can help but better stick to the published procedure (Google & YouTube: "F-16 Falcon deep stall recovery").

Edited by Dee-Jay
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Theodore42 said:

That's a deep stall. Awesome that it  has been implemented.

MPO, rock the stick with the oscillations, power to full, should get you out of it.

Procedures indicates POWER IDLE until beginning of effective recovery. Full power could retard the recovery and/or induce a compressor stall.

• Like 3

• Solution
1 hour ago, Dee-Jay said:

Procedures indicates POWER IDLE until beginning of effective recovery. Full power could retard the recovery and/or induce a compressor stall.

Correct. Identify the deep stall, then power to Idle, press and hold the MPO switch, and oscillate the nose up and down. Remember to follow the nose, don't fight against it (IOW, when the nose drops, push forward on the stick. When it rises, pull back). Once the nose dips far enough to break the stall, release the MPO switch, regain airspeed above ~125KIAS, add throttle, and recover to level flight.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jetguy06 said:

Correct. Identify the deep stall, then power to Idle, press and hold the MPO switch, and oscillate the nose up and down. Remember to follow the nose, don't fight against it (IOW, when the nose drops, push forward on the stick. When it rises, pull back). Once the nose dips far enough to break the stall, release the MPO switch, regain airspeed above ~125KIAS, add throttle, and recover to level flight.

So I have to hold it for as long as I have to? Hmm, that`s the trick. But its kind of awkward. But that`s how it is guess. Thx

1 hour ago, skywalker22 said:

So I have to hold it for as long as I have to? Hmm, that`s the trick. But its kind of awkward. But that`s how it is guess. Thx

Yes, but by that point, your throttle should be at Idle, and your left hand is free to remain on the switch while your right hand oscillates the nose. Also, the MPO switch is bound to the O key by default, so you really shouldn't need to fumble with the mouse to find it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jetguy06 said:

Yes, but by that point, your throttle should be at Idle, and your left hand is free to remain on the switch while your right hand oscillates the nose. Also, the MPO switch is bound to the O key by default, so you really shouldn't need to fumble with the mouse to find it.

It makes total sense (now) 🙂

• Like 1

For me easiest way out of this is just to lower the landing gear, Might not be realistic but it prevents the aircraft from going over 15 AOA and it makes the flaps go down.
I've tried using the MPO switch but didn't have good results with that.

• Like 1

Looking For A Real Dynamic Campaign?

Come And Check Out XSAF!

MAKE SURE TO READ THE RULES AND PERSONALY I RECOMMEND CHECKING OUT SOME VIDS ON YOUTUBE.

Growling Sidewinder's video               Natty Ice's video                              

The late great Joe Bill Dryden describes it here from first-hand experience (page 10). As an old-school F-16 sim pilot my MPO switch is bound to a toggle switch on my WH throttle, 'cos I know I'll need it sometime. 🙂

• Like 1

i9-9900K @5GHz, Z390 Aorus Pro, 32GB DDR4-3200MHz, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Seasonic Focus+ Platinum 850W PSU, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, 2x MFD's, MT deskmounts, Asus 32" 1440p display, EDTracker Pro Wireless, HP Reverb