Thinking of getting a Pimax 8K X - is it worth it over a Reverb G2?

Notso

After talking to some gaming SW engineers and visual artists who both use the Pimax 8KX in DCS to good effect - I'm considering getting one.  I currently have the Reverb G2 and love it, but find the limited FOV binocular effect is slightly immersion killing.  So I'm interesting in trying the wide FOV on the 8KX.  Most of the previous stuff I've read on the early Pimax headsets were terrible.  But with the 8KX, it seems to me that Pimax have gotten their "stuff" together finally.

I'm currently running an i9-9900K with a 2080TI w/32gb.  Is this enough to run the 8KX well until the 3080 or 3090 cards become more available?

Would like to hear your opinions, especially if you have had both the G2 and the 8KX.  Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I wonder about one of these too. I am sure its great visuals but I have heard you have to buy other base stations and controllers which make an already expensive purchase really expensive. I don't feel too bothered about the expanded FOV - probably because I haven't experienced it but I'm always waiting for better visuals! I think that this sort of experience will be available much cheaper in a  year or two so I will probably wait. However if money were no object I would take the plunge.

Do you need a handcontroller for the 8KX if you're only doing DCS with it?  I know you need a base station, but I'm not sure about the controller.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

On 8/3/2021 at 11:58 PM, speed-of-heat said:

Thanks, that was super helpful!  I think I'll stick with the G2 for now.  I'd love to have that Huge FOV, but don't want to give up the crispness of G2. 

I'm pretty sure the reviewer said he was running it at 2K.  I wonder if the Pimax would look different running at 8K on a 3090?  

Just now, Notso said:

Thanks, that was super helpful!  I think I'll stick with the G2 for now.  I'd love to have that Huge FOV, but don't want to give up the crispness of G2. 

I'm pretty sure the reviewer said he was running it at 2K.  I wonder if the Pimax would look different running at 8K on a 3090?  

Probably wise choice.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Probably wise choice.

Yeah, I think I'd be better off spending that $1500 on a 3090 and look at what comes out in a year or so VR headset wise.  Maybe I'll win the lottery and get an XTAL, LOL.

1 hour ago, Notso said:

I really doubt it, it’s a pixel density problem as much as anything else…

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

On 8/5/2021 at 5:02 AM, VitS said:

Pimax 8kx is hit o miss. It just does not work for some face shapes. So if you can try before you buy, or at least buy from amazon

Plus one on testing the Pimax for fit before you buy.  I had the 8KX and couldn't wear it for more than 10-15 minutes before my head was throbbing.  I can wear my G2 for hours without issue.

I’m not likely to get an 8KX given I too am really happy with my Gen 1 Reverb but to the credit of Pimax, at least they’ve demonstrated that that sort of pixel pushing can in fact be done with fairly decent performance so I’m looking forward to the Reverb Gen 3 or 4 😊

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.