How to increase smoke life?

Go to solution Solved by Taz1004,

Hey guys. I'm wanting to increase the life of vehicle/plane/ship smoke. In my opinion it's wayyy too short. Things can burn for a long time, plus it makes the battlefield look a lot cooler 😎. Now I get why ED doesn't let things burn long, as it would eat a lot of the lower-end PCs for breakfast. But a lot of us have tough rigs that can handle it, so I'm looking at a way of experimenting and getting the smoke to last a realistic amount of time to increase fidelity.

I'm taking a look at the VehicleFire.lua but nothing is commented so I don't know what any of the values mean. I've been experimenting but without much luck. Can someone smarter than I shed some light on what the different variables are? Thanks!

local fireLife = 3
local smokeLifeC = 3
local smokeLife = 8*smokeLifeC
local lifeTime = 120

Duration = {{0, 2000}, {1, 5000}}
Emitters = {
        {
        Name = "Fire1",
        Texture = "DCSFireTex.png",
        Technique = "AnimatedFire",
        InitPositionBox = {Min = {-1.2,0.8,0.3}, Max = {-1.2,1,1.3}},
        Flags = {"SoftParticles"},

• Like 1

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

Hey guys. I'm wanting to increase the life of vehicle/plane/ship smoke. In my opinion it's wayyy too short. Things can burn for a long time, plus it makes the battlefield look a lot cooler . Now I get why ED doesn't let things burn long, as it would eat a lot of the lower-end PCs for breakfast. But a lot of us have tough rigs that can handle it, so I'm looking at a way of experimenting and getting the smoke to last a realistic amount of time to increase fidelity.

I'm taking a look at the VehicleFire.lua but nothing is commented so I don't know what any of the values mean. I've been experimenting but without much luck. Can someone smarter than I shed some light on what the different variables are? Thanks!

local fireLife = 3
local smokeLifeC = 3
local lifeTime = 120

Emitters = {
        {
        Name = "Fire1",
        Texture = "DCSFireTex.png",
        Technique = "AnimatedFire",
        InitPositionBox = {Min = {-1.2,0.8,0.3}, Max = {-1.2,1,1.3}},
        Flags = {"SoftParticles"},

Search for "Better smoke" from Taz1004. He has made a couple of mods. There's even a thread about it.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

Search for "Better smoke" from Taz1004. He has made a couple of mods. There's even a thread about it.
Cheers!

hi. i have that mod, but it doesn't simply increase smoke life, it does a lot of things. i want to be able to simply increase the life of the smoke by adjusting the variables. but need to know what he variables actually do. 

• Like 1

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

hi. i have that mod, but it doesn't simply increase smoke life, it does a lot of things. i want to be able to simply increase the life of the smoke by adjusting the variables. but need to know what he variables actually do. 
Ah, I see. Yeah, I would like the fires to burn longer as well. Any plane crash or another wreck should burn for hours.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Ah, I see. Yeah, I would like the fires to burn longer as well. Any plane crash or another wreck should burn for hours. emoji4.png

yep, exactly! so i was hoping it would just be as simple as modifying one of the variables. but they aren't obvious to what they mean

local fireLife = 3
local smokeLifeC = 3
local lifeTime = 120

i tried increasing the two  "Duration" values by a lot but they didn't seem to do anything

Edited by dresoccer4

yep, exactly! so i was hoping it would just be as simple as modifying one of the variables. but they aren't obvious to what they mean

local fireLife = 3
local smokeLifeC = 3
local lifeTime = 120

i tried increasing the two  "Duration" values by a lot but they didn't seem to do anything
If I remember correctly,@Taz1004 did write something about burn duration in that other thread. Something about it was intentionally reduced, or rather, did not make them burn for too long due to computer performance.
Maybe worth a check?

• 1 month later...

I'm also trying to figure out how to accomplish long smoke times for vehicles.  Have you already found a way to do this @dresoccer4?

• Like 1
Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

On 10/3/2021 at 3:53 AM, Mud said:

I'm also trying to figure out how to accomplish long smoke times for vehicles.  Have you already found a way to do this @dresoccer4?

I have not, however I thought I had found it in the file .../Config/World/World.lua as it has burn times for many different vehicles as well as airplane crash burn time...however I have adjusted all of these but don't really see a noticeable difference. 

Was hoping someone in the DCS modding community would be able to point in the right direction to help explain what the variables mean... 🥴

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When strafing an area with multiple targets, the short burn/smoke times make it sometimes hard to distinguish between already destroyed and active vehicles.

I wish ED would let us know where we can modify it, or even add a slider to set the desired burn time in the settings.

• Like 2
Spoiler

the problem with that (and i agree in the real world) is the performance impact that it has... because its not just one fire its all of them that you end up impacting.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

21 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Let's petition for a slider in the settings. Everything should literally burn for hours if not taken care of. emoji4.png

While I would not at all mind having it as an option in the settings, I guess it would cause a backlash of requests for all other possible things which could be made option-able.
So I would already be happy enough with just knowing where to modify the value currently.  Assuming/hoping it's not hard-coded now and out of our reach.

• Like 1
Spoiler

• 1 month later...

Anyone been able to manage to find/modify it already?

@BIGNEWY Could you bring this thread to the attention of the benevolent forces?

It's a real bummer that a destroyed vehicle only burns for a fraction of the time it would in real.  I do understand too many burning vehicles would have a detremental impact on performance, but giving us the choice to set this, or pointing out where we could modify it ourselves, would be very much appreciated.

Worst case scenario: I guess it's reverting to triggers on every vehicle with fire/smoke effects upon death.

Br,

Mud

Spoiler

• Solution
On 8/15/2021 at 8:35 PM, MAXsenna said:

If I remember correctly,@Taz1004 did write something about burn duration in that other thread. Something about it was intentionally reduced, or rather, did not make them burn for too long due to computer performance.
Maybe worth a check? emoji848.png

Strange I didn't get mention notification for this thread.  Didn't mean to ignore.

But I believe all smoke durations are locked away since 2.7

And I left VehicleFire.lua in my mod in case there's still something that uses it but new smoke are controlled by smoke.fx in Bazar and staticSmoke.lua in Config.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 11/21/2021 at 3:31 PM, Taz1004 said:

Strange I didn't get mention notification for this thread.  Didn't mean to ignore.

But I believe all smoke durations are locked away since 2.7

And I left VehicleFire.lua in my mod in case there's still something that uses it but new smoke are controlled by smoke.fx in Bazar and staticSmoke.lua in Config.

don't meant to necro my old thread, but I just saw your response @Taz1004 2 years later 😄 
You said that all smoke durations are now locked and cannot be modified, which explains why nothing I did in the config filed seemed to have any effect on burn times. i was banging my head against a wall for a while with this!

Do you know if this is still the case with our latest DCS World version? I just picked up the sim again this week and one of the first thing I noticed was low burn times so it brought me back full circle to this thread 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

don't meant to necro my old thread, but I just saw your response @Taz1004 2 years later 😄 
You said that all smoke durations are now locked and cannot be modified, which explains why nothing I did in the config filed seemed to have any effect on burn times. i was banging my head against a wall for a while with this!

Do you know if this is still the case with our latest DCS World version? I just picked up the sim again this week and one of the first thing I noticed was low burn times so it brought me back full circle to this thread 

I could be wrong but I don't think anything's changed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

I could be wrong but I don't think anything's changed.

ok thanks for the reply. i'll go ahead and mark your post as the solution since there hasn't been any update on tnat end.

hopefully ED will allow modders to make changes to certain configs like smoke duration in the future!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I understand smoke durations seem to be locked, but does this include cargo smoke for sling load ops? Can we switch off this cargo smoke when the load is selected somehow, or decrease the smoke time?

Edited by rato65
  • Like 1