Multicore CPU performance improvement

Prophet

OK here are my improvements!

Ok guys, here is what I found on my machine here are my specs.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.65GHZ

2 x 8800GTX

2 GB DDR2

EVGA 680i Motherboard

Res at 1366x768 32" LCD

XFI Fataility Sound Card

Test server 159th's just me in the server

OK for round one NO SLI (SINGLE CARD)

OK This is strait in the game with no setting the cores

LOOKING LEFT OUT COCKPIT=15

LOOKING RIGHT OUT COCKPIT=30

LOOKING OUT HUD=24

NOW WITH ALL CORES SET

LOOKING LEFT OUT COCKPIT=23

LOOKING RIGHT OUT COCKPIT=48

LOOKING OUT HUD=33

Now SLI SINGLE CORE

LOOKING OUT HUD=24

NOW SLI WITH ALL CORES

LOOKING LEFT OUT COCKPIT=27

LOOKING RIGHT OUT COCKPIT=46

LOOKING OUT HUD=40

I have everything maxed in game and AA and AF set in Nhancer at 16x for both super sampling.

I'm Happy!!!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys, here is what I found on my machine here are my specs.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.65GHZ

2 x 8800GTX

2 GB DDR2

EVGA 680i Motherboard

Res at 1366x768 32" LCD

XFI Fataility Sound Card

Test server 159th's just me in the server

OK for round one NO SLI (SINGLE CARD)

OK This is strait in the game with no setting the cores

LOOKING OUT HUD=24

NOW WITH ALL CORES SET

LOOKING LEFT OUT COCKPIT=23

LOOKING RIGHT OUT COCKPIT=48

LOOKING OUT HUD=33

Now SLI SINGLE CORE

LOOKING OUT HUD=24

NOW SLI WITH ALL CORES

LOOKING LEFT OUT COCKPIT=27

LOOKING RIGHT OUT COCKPIT=46

LOOKING OUT HUD=40

I have everything maxed in game and AA and AF set in Nhancer at 16x for both super sampling.

I'm Happy!!!

XP or Vista?????

Smokin' Hole

My DCS wish list: Su25, Su30, Mi24, AH1, F/A-18C, Afghanistan ...and frankly, the flight sim world should stop at 1995.

I'm happy with affinity on both cores (E8500), just turned it back on after running on the single core for a while.

Has anyone else had a problem using Fraps while having BS on all cores?? I sometimes get MAJOR framerate stuttering; not sure what to think of it.

FRAPs uses a bit of the CPU, maybe that is why.

And the OS may be shifting the threads arround the cores without settling.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Depending on your computer, it will give you between 10% and 75% performance increasement.
Hi Frazer,

What kind of problem is addressed with this fix?

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Frazer, the multi-core fps enhancement seems to only work with Vista 32 bit and 64 bit. In XP, there is almost no difference between single and multi-cpu when it comes to DCS:BlackShark.

So for now, I fly LockON: Flaming Cliffs in XP Pro and dual boot over to my Vista install to fly BlackShark.

Thanks for the FPS tweak, even though my fps in Blackshark benchmark.trk test averaged 72.8 fps, I will give your tweak a try later this week.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Frazer, the multi-core fps enhancement seems to only work with Vista 32 bit and 64 bit. In XP, there is almost no difference between single and multi-cpu when it comes to DCS:BlackShark.

So for now, I fly LockON: Flaming Cliffs in XP Pro and dual boot over to my Vista install to fly BlackShark.

Thanks for the FPS tweak, even though my fps in Blackshark benchmark.trk test averaged 72.8 fps, I will give your tweak a try later this week.

Hmm, I will have to install on my 64bit machine, I know my Iracing machine showed a massive FPS gain from Vista 32 and 64. Vista eats too much ram at idle, heck I noticed that vista was using 700mb of ram right after install, and after a fresh install of xp 64bit at idle was only using 200mb.

Now I noticed a nice little boost in FPS on the Vista 32bit pc I posted, but just seeing now how XP 64 is running some of my programs, I think I will install XP 64 this weekend!

Has anyone had difficulty with PriFinitty_1.1.3 getting it to auto-set when DCS.exe launches? I have it set as a favorite with 'auto-set' checked, but for some reason it won't auto-configure the '0123' affinity setting unless I drop out and manually tell it to.

Set_Affinity_II

I use it to put ftp server on low prio. and it works.

Cinch, let us know if it works better or worse ( FPS wise) in XP x64 versus Vista! I am currently flying BlackShark on Vista x64 and it runs much better than on the same exact system with XP x86.

Mxyzpylk - Not sure what to say that might help, except that I have Set Affinity II setup and it works automatically for me. Maybe this is obvious, but make sure you put a shortcut to Set Affinity II in your "StartUp" folder so it auto starts with Windows or set it to auto start... if it isn't running ( small box in your taskbar) then it can't set your Blackshark to run on the multi cores.

Frazer, I had business meetings last night so I was unable to install/test your tweak. I'll try and report on it later. Thank-you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

XP users... if you have at least 2GB of ram

disable the swapfile...

something is change;)

There's very little harm that can be done it this, but be aware that there's a long-standing argument that disabling this is nothing but a placebo.

Some swear that they see improvement. However after reading the Tweakguides.com FAQ and some experimentation on my own, I'm convinced that the improvement is minimal, if any. You may also encounter system errors if you disable this.

That being said, flight sims are strange animals, so I may even try this to test it out again.

Mxyzpylk - Not sure what to say that might help, except that I have Set Affinity II setup and it works automatically for me. Maybe this is obvious, but make sure you put a shortcut to Set Affinity II in your "StartUp" folder so it auto starts with Windows or set it to auto start... if it isn't running ( small box in your taskbar) then it can't set your Blackshark to run on the multi cores.

Yeah, I did that. I had DCS.exe set as a favorite. When I right-clicked the icon in the traskbar it showed auto-set, but when I Alt-Tabbed out of the sim and checked task manager the affinity was still set to core 0 only. Does it have to be set to all 4 cores? I only set it to use core 0 and core 1. Perhaps I'll give it another try when I get home tonight and double check my settings.

set affinity to core 0,1,2,3 but not 4,5,6,7

Keep in mind that XP and Vista assign the physical and logic CPU this way:

Physical core1: 0 and 1

Physical core2: 2 and 3

Physical core3: 4 and 5

Physical core4: 6 and 7

So if you set affinity to 0 and 1 you actually slow down your performance. Rather try 0 and 2 - and via taskmanager 0 2 4 6. ;)

So if you set affinity to 0 and 1 you actually slow down your performance. Rather try 0 and 2 - and via taskmanager 0 2 4 6. ;)

Now that's something new. Set affinity "says" one should set affinity 01 to utilize both cores.

The program errors trying to set affinity to 4,5,6,7.