Any one care to speculate on performance hit?

Digitalvole

I think it's fair to expect this to be the most performance intensive module in DCS World. Every single Eagle Dynamics (modern) module released in DCS World was more performance intensive than the last one. Including the Hind, which IMO is the most taxing module currently flying in DCS World. 

This is why I will take a wait and see approach. If people with a similar rig to mine can fly it in VR without problems in early access, I will jump onboard and buy it. ED gets more money, and everyone is happy. 

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

9 hours ago, pngflyer said:

Would be great if Wags could comment on performance seeing as he's flying it at the moment...  I too am wanting to purchase but worried my pc won't be able to run it.

It would still be specific to his (monster) rig and his subjective interpretation. I doubt it would be any more or less informative than BIGNEWY's post who is also flying it at present. How the apachie performs is going to be very much down to how and where the individual is using it, what the individual thinks are resonable/acceptable settings and what the individual is running it with.  

Im afraid you will either need to risk biting the bullet for the nice discount or wait for the forums to guide you and perhaps pay a little more

Edited by Boosterdog
  • Like 2

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

16 minutes ago, Bedouin said:

Guessing perhaps some low flying in the some of the helicopters we already have, perhaps the KA-50 while using the Shakvl,  around Damascus or Beirut, could give some performance hints, of course not as complex as using the Apache..

Or the F14 low down and slow with a Lantrin Pod active (Twin Pits, Hi Res cockpit, two rendered displays of the Lantrin image (?? long time since I flown it but I think Latrin is now avaialbe in the pilots pit) - still be speculative. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

It was always available in the pilot's pit, the recent change was that Jester can now manage it and is actually surprisingly competent at it. You can't control it from the pilot's seat, but it's a good idea to toggle it on to see what the RIO is doing (and if your flying isn't not making his job harder), and because it's got some cues to help you fly to the release point.

very informative topic thanks op. 

i7 9700k oc 5ghz

2070 super

ram 16gb

all ssd

rift s

ive been tossing and turning at night thinking about how the ah64 will perform. i want to take advantage of the preorder sale but what if its unplayable? i'm so not a fan of ASW due to the funky artifacts. 

so far ive been playing at 80 fps solid with textures/high, terrain/high, shadows/high SP only. ive been flying the gazelle and shes a hoot. love her BUT, when i turn on the TV display, its down to 40 fps and ASW kicks in. its annoying. so thats my fear with the apache, my would be new home in dcs. 

i guess ill take advantage of the free trials and play with the hind and see how that pans out lol 

3 hours ago, Sparc said:

very informative topic thanks op. 

i7 9700k oc 5ghz

2070 super

ram 16gb

all ssd

rift s

ive been tossing and turning at night thinking about how the ah64 will perform. i want to take advantage of the preorder sale but what if its unplayable? i'm so not a fan of ASW due to the funky artifacts. 

so far ive been playing at 80 fps solid with textures/high, terrain/high, shadows/high SP only. ive been flying the gazelle and shes a hoot. love her BUT, when i turn on the TV display, its down to 40 fps and ASW kicks in. its annoying. so thats my fear with the apache, my would be new home in dcs. 

i guess ill take advantage of the free trials and play with the hind and see how that pans out lol 

Its a leap of faith. The Hind is considered one of the heavier modules but has no MFDs and no HMD. If you're struggling with displays now, the apachie wont fix it.  Without knowing what the future will bring to DCS you will likely be kissing goodbye to those graphic settngs with the Apachie, at least initially.

At the end of the day the choice you are agonizing over is £25-£30. Not a bad deal but in the grand scheme of things its the cost of a takeaway. If you wait for a few months you will likely find the module in a sale. I doubt it will be as cheap as it is now but there will only be a tenner in it at most. You'll also have had the chance to test it and may even have seen some core improvements to the game also.  Conversely you could save yourself that tenner long term and "bank it" for brighter days if it doesnt perform well. The problem with this approach it that the future perfomance of DCS is an unknown.

10 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

Its a leap of faith. The Hind is considered one of the heavier modules but has no MFDs and no HMD. If you're struggling with displays now, the apachie wont fix it.  Without knowing what the future will bring to DCS you will likely be kissing goodbye to those graphic settngs with the Apachie, at least initially.

At the end of the day the choice you are agonizing over is £25-£30. Not a bad deal but in the grand scheme of things its the cost of a takeaway. If you wait for a few months you will likely find the module in a sale. I doubt it will be as cheap as it is now but there will only be a tenner in it at most. You'll also have had the chance to test it and may even have seen some core improvements to the game also.  Conversely you could save yourself that tenner long term and "bank it" for brighter days if it doesnt perform well. The problem with this approach it that the future perfomance of DCS is an unknown.

I just test flown most of my aircraft at the NTTR and wow. Just wow. I'm able to turn everything up near max and hold 80 fps granted it's just a barren desert xD but it looks soo good compared to always flying in the default map. 

Now heres where I'm chewing my nails off at, will the Apache be able to fly at NTTR? I would believe so and can only hope so. It wouldn't make sense if the Apache didn't have any missions at NTTR. 

2 minutes ago, Sparc said:

I just test flown most of my aircraft at the NTTR and wow. Just wow. I'm able to turn everything up near max and hold 80 fps granted it's just a barren desert xD but it looks soo good compared to always flying in the default map. 

Now heres where I'm chewing my nails off at, will the Apache be able to fly at NTTR? I would believe so and can only hope so. It wouldn't make sense if the Apache didn't have any missions at NTTR. 

Perhaps as long as you avoid Las Vegas. Take the hind and blackshark for a spin. Then perhaps the performance behemoth that is the F14. Down low, configured for landing so you're bobbing about at 150knts with the Lantrin in snowplough on the sceens in the front and back seat. 

19 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

I highly doubt it will go on sale for the next couple of years. If it does it will be a shame. Pre-order and early access should have it's beneffits. 

The Hind was released in June. 30% off in October. I bought it then for $39.19. 

2 minutes ago, Boosterdog said:

The Hind was released in June. 30% off in October. I bought it then for $39.19. 

Really? Well, that has to be mistake. Because then they just doesn't honor the pre-order and early access customers.

Or was it Steam? Been a lot of strange pricing on Steam lately, both for Apache and the Mossie. 

12 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Really? Well, that has to be mistake. Because then they just doesn't honor the pre-order and early access customers.

Or was it Steam? Been a lot of strange pricing on Steam lately, both for Apache and the Mossie. 

No, its was via the ED store and its was openly advertised n the Newsletter. Ultimately pricing is surely dependent on ED's assessment of how well a module is doing against projections. A return needs to be made if only to fund development.  Any perceived advantage to the early adopter is a argley incidental side effect of this driver. An early reduction could even be an indicator of the module having already acheived its itital sales preductions.

Pre orders and early access exists as a incentive to buy but do not themselves offer any pricing guanrantees. Pre order customers still likey enjoy a higher discount and get the module day one. Pre-release purchasers enjoy access from the time of purchase at a generally discounted rate. I think the deal is honoured and its down to personal choice.  

I doubt the apachie will be as cheap as it is now for some time but I also doubt itll be missed out of the sales for a sustained period. It would be unique within the ED range if it were. 

Edited by Boosterdog

1 minute ago, Boosterdog said:

No, its was via the ED store and its was openly advertised n the Newsletter. Ultimately pricing is surely dependent on ED's assessment of how well a module is doing against projections. A return needs to be made if only to fund development.  Any perceived advantage to the early adopter is a argley incidental side effect of this driver. Pre orders and early access exists as a incentive to buy but do not themselves offer any pricing guanrantees. Pre order customers still likey enjoy a higher discount and get the module day one. Pre-release purchasers enjoy access from the time of purchase at a generally discounted rate. I think the deal is honoured and its down to personal choice.  

I doubt the apachie will be as cheap as it is now for some time but I also doubt itll be missed out of the sales for a sustained period. It would be unique within the ED range if it were. 

Well, I somewhat disagree. But I don't really care anyway.

The pre-order for the Mossie was down to 35 on Steam here in Norway, but I still opted for the ED store.

I also remember some people were "a little heartbroken" when the Viper was included in the Covid sale. 😊

It is what it is.

Cheers! 

Just now, MAXsenna said:

It is what it is.

It certainly is.

Best regards

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

Perhaps as long as you avoid Las Vegas. Take the hind and blackshark for a spin. Then perhaps the performance behemoth that is the F14. Down low, configured for landing so you're bobbing about at 150knts with the Lantrin in snowplough on the sceens in the front and back seat. 

I tried to fly the hind in NTTR but I get no missions for it there. Is there any way possible to fly the hind at NTTR? can I create a mission to use the hind there?

10 hours ago, Sparc said:

I tried to fly the hind in NTTR but I get no missions for it there. Is there any way possible to fly the hind at NTTR? can I create a mission to use the hind there?

If you use the mission editor to can create a simple mission very quickly. It doesnt need to be complicated.  U Just plop down the hind and fly. If you want to do a little more you can put down some targets.  Any of the quick missions for another Helo will probably work to. You will need to find them in the main game's folder (usually in the Mods/aircraft/Aircraft type/folder). I tend to copy them from there to "missions" in the Saved Games folder, rename them and edit from there (in the ME you'll find them under "My Missions" which I think is the default place it looks. Just watch out for naming of the unit as sometimes the mission uses that (or even the group name) for specific triggers which yo may have to update in the trigger list. 

THe 476th Virtual Fighter Group have created a full target range for the NTTR map which can be downloaded from here

https://www.476vfightergroup.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=403

You will need their target range objects  which can be also be found on their site here https://www.476vfightergroup.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=287

Using that or one of its variants, you can simply open it in the ME, plonk down the hind and blast away. It'll give you a decent idea of performance in something other than an empty map too.  

I cant fully remember but I thinks its pretty interactive and my even have a target range script embedded which scores your shooting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

If you use the mission editor to can create a simple mission very quickly. It doesnt need to be complicated.  U Just plop down the hind and fly. If you want to do a little more you can put down some targets.  Any of the quick missions for another Helo will probably work to. You will need to find them in the main game's folder (usually in the Mods/aircraft/Aircraft type/folder). I tend to copy them from there to "missions" in the Saved Games folder, rename them and edit from there (in the ME you'll find them under "My Missions" which I think is the default place it looks. Just watch out for naming of the unit as sometimes the mission uses that (or even the group name) for specific triggers which yo may have to update in the trigger list. 

THe 476th Virtual Fighter Group have created a full target range for the NTTR map which can be downloaded from here

https://www.476vfightergroup.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=403

You will need their target range objects  which can be also be found on their site here https://www.476vfightergroup.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=287

Using that or one of its variants, you can simply open it in the ME, plonk down the hind and blast away. It'll give you a decent idea of performance in something other than an empty map too.  

I cant fully remember but I thinks its pretty interactive and my even have a target range script embedded which scores your shooting. 

Thank you this was very helpful. 

On 1/17/2022 at 4:08 AM, Boosterdog said:

• Like 1

That’s one of the most addicting features of DCS - you can take any map and create a mission for any aircraft. So Hind in Nevada? No problem. Hind in Normandy? Easy peasy. Hind versus Focke Wulfs in the Falklands? Whenever that map is out, it’s possible. 

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to put a question to ED regarding the performance of the new AH-64 module (optimum use of hardware). Should this question have been answered before, please skip it.

According to ED's newsletters (...) a part of the team permanently works on Vulkan/DX12/MultiCore as well as they have already rebuilt large parts of the core coding. The end of this project is not announced, but ED is pushing to wrap the new core up.

Thus I assume new modules, which are developed when Vulkan/DX12/MultiCore meet the horizon, already to allow for the new DCS core and for economizing on their future development time.

So, does the the code of the new Ah-64 module incorporates compatibilty with Vulkan/DX12/MultiCore (by quick reconfiguration of prepared code)?

Thank you for your answer.

Edited by Fastbreak

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"

I bought a 3090 and 64 gig of Ram for my system, as well as a dust clean and general service.

Generally, that is how I estimate the visual hit for the Apache in VR.

I have already experienced it with the clouds upgrade in VR

I have already experienced it with the graphics upgrade in VR

I have already experienced it with the high end and awesomely modelled Hind in VR.

Indeed a very expensive upgrade to keep my VR mouth above the flooding water. 

In Pancake it may be fine.

The multi core Engine and Vulcan must come soon!..... The Weapon must fly smoothly, beautifully and with true intent of purpose. 

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 1

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

"The multi core Engine and Vulcan must come soon!..... The Weapon must fly smoothly, beautifully and with true intent of purpose."

I agree. After all, I start thinking that ED might be struggling to cope with the demands of Vulkan/DX12/MultiCore in respect of the long time they take to implement - but this is just my guess with no offence intended

Edited by Fastbreak

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"

• ED Team

Multicore and vulkan will come once it is ready, even without it I am having no issues with frame rates in the AH-64D, yes I have a strong system, but I do not see it being a problem for anyone who is seeing good frames now in the hornet, viper or Mi-24P for example. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 1/18/2022 at 10:52 AM, Sparc said:

Thank you this was very helpful. 

Here you go.

Be advised that you need the 476 Range Targets mentioned above, though.

476 NTTR P5.93-All Ranges_Hind.miz

• Thanks 1

52d_Sig_Pic3.png