Community A-4E-C v2.2 (October 2023)

Go to solution Solved by plusnine,

7 hours ago, buur said:

First, check your speed. If you got to fast in a dive you loose control. Above Mach 0.9 the plane get unstable.

Second, do not pull to much gs. Above 6 Gs you can get problems.

I solved my problems in the "Special Section".  Moved Trim from 100 down to 50. 

• Like 2

For the past few weeks (since last BETA update?) I have been experiencing very wild FPS fluctuations. I normally get 90-110 fps.  Sometimes, in some missions and in DCS  Pretense, the fps will go crazy. I would be flying at 100 fps, then all the sudden it would drop into the 20's, and even as low as 11 fps.  All this would happen within seconds. The fps would jump from 110 to 53, then back up to 110, them down to 11 and back high again all in about 10 seconds!  Eventually the mission would hang and crash DCS. At first I thought it was the mission or campaign.

Edited: 8/7/2023

I am still experiencing frustrating fps fluctuations with the Skyhawk in Pretense.

Edited by 4eyes

I finally got the Skyhawk to work properly again. But I had to remove all my other Mods to do it. So there is some interference between the A4-E and other Mods. I'm no expert at sorting it out, so I am not using any Mods any more. No Aircraft, terrain, or utility Mods.  Which has increased my general fps.

2 hours ago, 4eyes said:

I finally got the Skyhawk to work properly again. But I had to remove all my other Mods to do it. So there is some interference between the A4-E and other Mods. I'm no expert at sorting it out, so I am not using any Mods any more. No Aircraft, terrain, or utility Mods.  Which has increased my general fps.

If you wanna try to install some mod again, in the FAQs of the project page

https://08jne01.github.io/community-a4e-c/#frequently-asked-questions

under "Known bugs and incompatibilities" there's a list of mods known to create issues when installed together with the A-4.

7 hours ago, Gianky said:

If you wanna try to install some mod again, in the FAQs of the project page

https://08jne01.github.io/community-a4e-c/#frequently-asked-questions

under "Known bugs and incompatibilities" there's a list of mods known to create issues when installed together with the A-4.

I am enjoying not having Mods. I never used most of them anyway. Many never get updated.  Plus, if you don't create Videos, why would you need them?  When diving on a target I can't really tell what it is anyway. Scenery mods?  They all steal fps.  For video producers I can see a use for them.

Quick question, is there a condition in which the castering nose wheel would lock?  Twice today after a long taxi making the right turn onto the runaway no matter what I tried the plane wouldn’t turn and the nose wheel didn’t deflect (I had the control indicator up), I even came to a full stop and tried to initiate the turn again.  I don’t think there is anything wrong with the A-4 (it’s a fantastic little jet), more likely just something I’m missing or maybe a conflict with a different mod.  Thanks for any input.

5 hours ago, UN9249 said:

How to use rudder assistant option? i checked box, and i can't turn on carier without falling from it? 

It does have a rudder assistant? Well, I guess that's for takeoffs and landings. 

To turn when taxiing you need to use differential braking. 

Cheers! 

2 часа назад, MAXsenna сказал:

It does have a rudder assistant? Well, I guess that's for takeoffs and landings. 

To turn when taxiing you need to use differential braking. 

Cheers! 

the problem is my pedals have only one axis now. i use it for rudder. and a button on a joy for breakin. but i can turn now at all. i thaught that this option is like nws or smt.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the problem is my pedals have only one axis now. i use it for rudder. and a button on a joy for breakin. but i can turn now at all. i thaught that this option is like nws or smt.
The Skyhawk doesn't have nose wheel steering.
I've read that on the carrier, the crew had some sort of towbar, that helped the pilots steer on the deck.
Practice on an airport, but if your pedals only have the rudder axis, you should be able to map two buttons as the brakes, and just tap them gently.
You'll get there!

Tip. Bring up the controls indicator, if wheel show the angle of the nose wheel.

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My pedals also don't have toe brakes.  IMO, the A-4 is not a viable module without toe brakes.

'Simple Braking' is the best option but you will end up in the grass often.  Carrier ops are completely off the table.

I just tried using two buttons as brakes and that was worse.

I don't know what it is about the A-4 specifically, but it is easily the worst ground handling aircraft I have messed with.  The Fw-190D is much easier by comparison.

11 minutes ago, Citizen said:

My pedals also don't have toe brakes.  IMO, the A-4 is not a viable module without toe brakes.

'Simple Braking' is the best option but you will end up in the grass often.  Carrier ops are completely off the table.

I just tried using two buttons as brakes and that was worse.

I don't know what it is about the A-4 specifically, but it is easily the worst ground handling aircraft I have messed with.  The Fw-190D is much easier by comparison.

I don't have toe breaks. It works fine for me.  I set up a hotas "single" button for breaks.   Here's a suggestion.  Practice first with a War Bird. After you learn to taxi and brake with a War Bird, you will be amazed how easy it is in the A4-E.  The TF-51 is free to learn with.  If your real adventurous, try it in the Mosquito!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4eyes said:

I don't have toe breaks. It works fine for me.  I set up a hotas "single" button for breaks.   Here's a suggestion.  Practice first with a War Bird. After you learn to taxi and brake with a War Bird, you will be amazed how easy it is in the A4-E.  The TF-51 is free to learn with.  If your real adventurous, try it in the Mosquito!

Is a FW-190D not a warbird?

On 7/31/2023 at 9:13 AM, denissoliveira said:

Hello, I would like to put aerial refueling capability on the F-5, as is done on the A-4? What code to put, I've already checked all the code and I can't find out where it's done in A-4.

image.png

Thanks for the space, now it's somewhere else.
Thanks to the A-4 community!

• Like 2

On 8/14/2023 at 12:12 PM, MAXsenna said:

The Skyhawk doesn't have nose wheel steering.
I've read that on the carrier, the crew had some sort of towbar, that helped the pilots steer on the deck.
Practice on an airport, but if your pedals only have the rudder axis, you should be able to map two buttons as the brakes, and just tap them gently.
You'll get there! emoji1695.png

Tip. Bring up the controls indicator, if wheel show the angle of the nose wheel.

Cheers!

max is dead on. this version does not have nosewheel steering. i work with a former ground crew. later versions did get a mod for it. i saw a pic of the a-4 when it was the blue angels plane. they had a motorized tow machine. it looks like a irobot. aircraft tugs. https://towflexx.com/

TowFLEXX-Slider_TF4-14000kg-Blue-Angels-

Edited by silverdevil
  • Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

max is dead on. this version does not have nosewheel steering. i work with a former ground crew. later versions did get a mod for it. i saw a pic of the a-4 when it was the blue angels plane. they had a motorized tow machine. it looks like a irobot. aircraft tugs. https://towflexx.com/
TowFLEXX-Slider_TF4-14000kg-Blue-Angels-A-4F-Skyhawk-min.jpg
Ah, so that's where my lawnmower went.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MAXsenna said:

Ah, so that's where my lawnmower went. emoji6.png

Pilots did not maneuver and taxi the A4-e themselves on aircraft carriers for take-offs.  Being forced to in DCS is not accurate.

• Like 2

In regards to the A-4C the pilot used differential braking to taxi around the carrier. The pilot, therefore, did taxi the jet under his own power whilst maneuvering on the deck.  I cannot speak for the E variant, however.  The Mod is accurate from a C model perspective.

Edited by Tengah
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Tengah said:

In regards to the A-4C the pilot used differential braking to taxi around the carrier. The pilot, therefore, did taxi the jet under his own power whilst maneuvering on the deck.  I cannot speak for the E variant, however.  The Mod is accurate from a C model perspective.

Yes, they could if they wanted to, but seldom did.  Ask the pilots and flight crew who were there. 

29 minutes ago, 4eyes said:

Yes, they could if they wanted to, but seldom did.  Ask the pilots and flight crew who were there. 

At the risk of a protracted debate; my good friend of some 20 + years whom I speak to on a daily basis was an A-4C pilot with VA-172, including a Tonkin Gulf cruise (1966-1967 USS FDR), stated last night:  "We always taxied under our own power, from parking, to the catapult and from the wires after landing using differential breaking".

I am not being pedantic or demeaning of your post in any way, but in the case of the USN A-4C your statement is incorrect.

Edited for spelling error.

Edited by Tengah
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 4:09 PM, Tengah said:

At the risk of a protracted debate; my good friend of some 20 + years whom I speak to on a daily basis was an A-4C pilot with VA-172, including a Tonkin Gulf cruise (1966-1967 USS FDR), stated last night:  "We always taxied under our own power, from parking, to the catapult and from the wires after landing using differential breaking".

I am not being pedantic or demeaning of your post in any way, but in the case of the USN A-4C your statement is incorrect.

Edited for spelling error.

We are in agreement. Like I said. Some pilots taxied under their own power, and some did not.  It would be nice if there was an option for those who choose not.

40 minutes ago, 4eyes said:

We are in agreement. Like I said. Some pilots taxied under their own power, and some did not.  It would be nice if there was an option for those who choose not.

Pilots didn't get to pick and choose what they wanted to do on the deck. The deck officer decided how things were run. 

If you have evidence of A-4's being pulled around the deck by tractors, from parking to cat, and from landing zone to parking, I'm sure we'd all love to see it. Never too old to learn something new.

• Like 3

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

It looks like - at least on this carrier - they taxied under their own power.

21:20 shows that, again at least on this carrier, they had steering assist via towbar to catapult.

It's really disconcerting to see flight deck personnel run underneath moving aircraft.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Citizen said:

It looks like - at least on this carrier - they taxied under their own power.

21:20 shows that, again at least on this carrier, they had steering assist via towbar to catapult.

It's really disconcerting to see flight deck personnel run underneath moving aircraft.

You should see what else we did up their at night 😀

• Like 2